Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #151 of 173 Old 05-29-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Interesting that Hulu+ had season 2 of the Danish version of "The Bridge". A friend told me he was ready for the next episode and then it disappeared. I never saw a "New Episodes" over the listing for it. In the comments section people are complaining that it was there then disappeared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Interesting that Hulu+ had season 2 of the Danish version of "The Bridge". A friend told me he was ready for the next episode and then it disappeared. I never saw a "New Episodes" over the listing for it. In the comments section people are complaining that it was there then disappeared.
It's a rights issue. That's all they are saying at this point, Season 1 came through Paramount Digital and so far they have had nothing to say either.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #153 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

It's a rights issue. That's all they are saying at this point, Season 1 came through Paramount Digital and so far they have had nothing to say either.
According to a reply one viewer go back from Hulu it was accidentally made available and it will be available in the fall. Maybe the date was in European format that was the mixup. biggrin.gif
:
reddice likes this.
post #154 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had HULU then dropped it... BUT then found that on EBay you can get a one year subscription for 25-30 bucks depending on seller.. so for that price I snagged it.. Hard to beat a year of it for that low..
post #155 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post

Hard to beat a year of it for that low..

easy to beat. how about free? that's how much a few us get hulu+ for using Bing.
gonzo90017 likes this.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #156 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote: by balboarules View Post

I had HULU then dropped it... BUT then found that on EBay you can get a one year subscription for 25-30 bucks depending on seller.. so for that price I snagged it.. Hard to beat a year of it for that low..

If you get the year free, that's a great price. Does your subscription show the auto-renew date of 1 year?

post #157 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Maybe the date was in European format that was the mixup. biggrin.gif
:
I would agree. I really hate the European format for date and time. Gives me a headache figuring out the month and the hour. However one thing I agree that Europe and the rest of the world does is the metric system way better than the confusing mess we use here.
Okay back on topic.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #158 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

easy to beat. how about free? that's how much a few us get hulu+ for using Bing.

Well now how did you put that one off.. Here I was feeling good about my 30 bucks.. now feel cheated and dirty..
post #159 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Fully legitimate, no pulling off anything.

450 Bing points per month, or about 900 "Bing searches".

http://www.bing.com/rewards/redeem/000100000007

that link looks fragile, so if it breaks:

http://www.google.com/search?q=bing+rewards+hulu

v/r,
C-F
post #160 of 173 Old 06-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post

Well now how did you put that one off.. Here I was feeling good about my 30 bucks.. now feel cheated and dirty..

Bing Rewards. I PM'd you my method with a bot that will only take a few minutes of your time a day.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #161 of 173 Old 06-21-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.G

I recall reading an article a few months ago that estimated that Hulu+ gets 59% of its revenue from ads and 41% from subscription fees.

Hulu doubles down on dual revenue model.

Last year there was some speculation that Hulu+ would develop a two tier plan - the current one plus another ad-free plan with an undetermined fee - but this has developed little or no traction.

I will only pay for Hulu Plus if they came out with a ad free version. I refuse to pay for it and still have to watch annoying ads so they can keep it.
I have had hulu for 3-4 months now(to watch some anime shows), when I first started it was 1 ad per break, now its 3 ads. The worst part is, its the same 3 ads. WTH.

IMO, why am I paying for this BS.
reddice likes this.
post #162 of 173 Old 06-22-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The networks are saying that broadcast TV is over so ad buys are picking up on Hulu.
post #163 of 173 Old 06-23-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I see Hulu Plus added the FX channel's The Bridge Season 1.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #164 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I got Hulu Plus free for a month on Bing and I already cancelled it after a week. What a ripoff. The ads are super annoying. Come on they even have ads on trailers for new TV series. Also what is up with only 5 episodes at a time of a show. I wanted to watch the last 2 episodes of Supernatural but all they had were 5 episodes with the latest being from February. Also I can't believe even when you pay for Hulu Plus with annoying ads you still have to authorize a Pay TV Provider. What a joke you are paying $8 a month but you still have to pay a mint to your TV provider to be able to watch the episodes the next day. Screw this I will stick with Netflix when they add the current season before the new season starts.

Cats are the best pets.
post #165 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I got Hulu Plus free for a month on Bing and I already cancelled it after a week. What a ripoff. The ads are super annoying. Come on they even have ads on trailers for new TV series. Also what is up with only 5 episodes at a time of a show. I wanted to watch the last 2 episodes of Supernatural but all they had were 5 episodes with the latest being from February. Also I can't believe even when you pay for Hulu Plus with annoying ads you still have to authorize a Pay TV Provider. What a joke you are paying $8 a month but you still have to pay a mint to your TV provider to be able to watch the episodes the next day. Screw this I will stick with Netflix when they add the current season before the new season starts.
While Hulu+ does not meet your watching habits there are many people who have cut the cord and have no access to cable TV programming. For them Hulu+ is quite useful. True the ads can be annoying and their catalog of past shows are limited, regular viewers know how to deal with these shortcomings. I don't understand your authorize a Pay TV provider comment. I have no Pay TV provider and still get Hulu+.

It's not a substitute for Netflix or Amazon Prime but a complement.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #166 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Some shows I had to wait a week unless I authorized in with Dish Network.

Cats are the best pets.
post #167 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Hulu+ just updated their app on Android and it is much better though they seem to still have a problem with HD ads. This I suspect because they are selectively served by subscriber. It's like the ads are on a seperate buffer (as weird and crazy as that sounds).

The number of ads you get in a break seem to depend on the network. I think some of them are shifting their ad load to Hulu and that won't work because it will drive away subscribers. I can live with a minute or less breaks (I hit the mute button) and I also understand the licensing model. As long as networks can sell their shows on Amazon, iTunes, VUDU and Google Play without ads they'll stay in on Hulu. The movies on Hulu+ don't have ads.

I too cut the cable but the summer pickins have been rather droll. I also like Hulu for foreign series offerings and often ones that Netflix won't be getting.
post #168 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Hulu's Android app was supposedly modified to allow streaming of the free stuff that you can get on non-Plus Hulu in a web browser that you can't get from embedded Hulu Plus. You can use it without a Hulu Plus account to get that stuff.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #169 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Some shows I had to wait a week unless I authorized in with Dish Network.
I wish all the delayed ones were only a week late. The usual SyFy (and USA IIRC) model is to let you have the first 2-3 with a slight delay, then everything else is on a 31-day delay. Hopefully Defiance is starting to roll out now with episode 3+.

v/r,
C-F
post #170 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't Hulu run by cable companies? It sure seems like it with paid TV providers, commercials, network bugs and limited episodes. Even when you cancel they just end your account right away even though the cutoff date is weeks ahead.
I hope Hulu does not try to buy Netflix.

Cats are the best pets.
post #171 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hulu's founding owners were Fox, NBC/Universal, and several non media owning partners, with ABC joining in ownership a few years ago. Hulu gets only 4-5 episodes of currently airing shows by design-their network/studio owners wanting to protect later syndication sales by limiting them to a handful of episodes at a time, while creating the niche of getting current season showings in order to have bragging rights that they're getting something Netflix doesn't.
And yes, as these conglomerates are heavily tied to cable by owning most of the top teir cable channels, appeasing the cable overlords by requiring a pay tv provider to view certain content is part of the ''Crossroads'' bargain they're engaged in.

Don't worry. Hulu will never be in a position to buy Netflix.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #172 of 173 Old 08-10-2014, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The number of past shows varies based upon the age of the show, the network, and other factors. Some shows, Like Longmire in season 2 a viewer could only watch the previous week's episode, and that was it. Other shows, the entire catalog is there. With the more popular television shows, Hulu pretty regularly schedules "binge watching weeks" where many of the popular titles have the entire catalog available for viewing. ABC shows seem to have the longest run-time on Hulu on average. Some shows (like The Daily Show) have seriously lengthy back-viewing. Other shows , especially those from the NBC/Universal catalog tend to be on a shorter span. CBS does not provide new episodes at all, though back catalog stuff from them is on there and apparently Elementary will be coming to Hulu after season 4 begins.

The service is by no means a cure-all for cord-cutters. But, it does cover a ton of new content, and that will always be its niche - new content. For $8/month, viewers can get new content without the need for cable or satellite. They have the entire Criterion Collection available, as well as a number of other films. Films are all commercial free. Sometimes prime-time stuff is if the show has a particular sponsor. Commercials in general have increased over the past 3 years, a little bit each six months or so. They are still less than half of what viewers would get watching live. I would love a commercial-free model and be willing to pay a bit more for it, but the reality is that the sort of premium they would likely have to charge would put it back into a price range near to basic cable. So, I live with some commercials that I can largely ignore.

Hulu shines the most during the regular U.S. viewing season, when most shows are next-day viewing. During the off-season, it still has plenty of use though, as that's when it works nicely for catching up on or getting exposure to plenty of foreign shows that have no U.S. market. I've found plenty of shows I enjoyed that way. They also do original programming like the other two services, though none are anywhere near as popular as some of the ones on Netflix.

Overall, Hulu+ probably rates a C+, or maybe even a solid B. If they ever add in new content from CBS, or if they ever do embrace an ad-free solution, they would become an almost essential part of the streaming age. As it is, they leave a few things to be desired. Still, I can't knock it for the cost.
Mr.G likes this.
post #173 of 173 Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
I wish all the delayed ones were only a week late. The usual SyFy (and USA IIRC) model is to let you have the first 2-3 with a slight delay, then everything else is on a 31-day delay. Hopefully Defiance is starting to roll out now with episode 3+.

v/r,
C-F
Dominion episode 4 is up a month later.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page