Who has HULU Plus? - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #211 of 231 Old 05-03-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 292
You also need to remember that the frat boys wearing grey suits don't have any idea of what it's like to be a TV viewer. Their TV viewing is probably limited to sports. So they continue to make some dumb decisions when they run companies like Hulu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 231 Old 05-04-2015, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Their job is to make money and they're doing quite well.
post #213 of 231 Old 06-24-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
Their job is to make money and they're doing quite well.
It's a tightrope act. If subscribers don't like too many ads they'll go back to torrents. Hulu probably tells execs this that there is a threshold where too many ads will make people drop the service.

And for those not paying attention (they have a banner on the Hulu site about it) we get Showtime next month. If you're a subscriber you get a month of it free. It's $8.99 a month after that.
post #214 of 231 Old 08-10-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 178
A little surprised that Hulu has lost so many subscribers but it may be partially due to the summer hiatus for many network shows.

http://hometheaterreview.com/hulu-plus/

In our household the main draw for using Hulu+ were the Comedy Central shows featuring Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Now with their departure and our purchase of the Tivo Roamio OTA there is less reason to subscribe. I'll have to think on this a bit...

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #215 of 231 Old 08-10-2015, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Think the explanation for the VUDU exodus is a lot simpler.... Two new OTT providers- SlingTV and HBO Now.

I have to rethink keeping Hulu as well.
post #216 of 231 Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
I've intended to dump Hulu for years but I keep forgetting to do it and then I find a use for it. Lately I got into Arrow and The Flash, bingeing the first two seasons of the former on Netflix and now watching one episode of the past season of each weekly as they unspool on Hulu. In the meantime I binged the first season of The Strain.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #217 of 231 Old 08-10-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Heh, I actually have been watching very little Hulu itself but Showtime on it. Binge watched the 2nd season of Ray Donovan having watched the 1st before I cut the cable. Now watching the 3rd season of Homeland. Problem with Hulu is that some of the networks have decided to "sell" episodes over providing them on Hulu. Or they provide the first half of the season and want you to "buy" the rest. This was true with "Mr. Robot" and Huluians are enraged. Not good to piss off millinneals when you want them to subscribe.
post #218 of 231 Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I can't deal with ads you can't skip. Even muting the TV they are annoying. At least on my DVR I can skip them. My free trial of Hulu ends in April 2016 and I won't be keeping it.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43_2 (Merlin Fork) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #219 of 231 Old 08-11-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, ads are insipid. The agencies just book them and never look at what they are wedged between. In many cases it makes people NOT want to buy the product. You can always OWN series ad free by buying them from the usual suspects.
reddice likes this.
post #220 of 231 Old 08-11-2015, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Yup, ads are insipid. The agencies just book them and never look at what they are wedged between. In many cases it makes people NOT want to buy the product. You can always OWN series ad free by buying them from the usual suspects.
I agree. I don't think I bought anything even impulse buying because of a annoying ad. If anything the annoying ads turned me off the product.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43_2 (Merlin Fork) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #221 of 231 Old 08-16-2015, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, I was thinking of trying Hulu Plus again for a month to see what they have available for streaming now on Roku (a few years ago when I tried it, there wasn't much content available for streaming on these kinds of devices), but since they have ads, I think I'll pass. You would think, paying for a subscription service, they wouldn't have ads. Amazon Plus doesn't have ads, neither does Netflix. It's annoying. I understand why the regular Hulu would have them, but not Plus. Oh well.

Last edited by jazzycat; 08-16-2015 at 04:47 PM.
post #222 of 231 Old 08-16-2015, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hulu just screwed me. I was using it to watch season 3 of Arrow, for which they offer a rolling 5 episodes, dropping the oldest and adding a newer episode each week. Well two weeks ago they failed to add a new episode and this week they skipped forward 5 episodes from episode 10 to 15. I complained and they gave me some unhelpful BS:

Spoiler!

That tears it--I'll be cancelling my subscription.

post #223 of 231 Old 08-17-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Hulu hasn't been worth much in August but then I'm tied to it with Showtime where I've been binging catching up on series.
post #224 of 231 Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Hulu just screwed me. I was using it to watch season 3 of Arrow, for which they offer a rolling 5 episodes, dropping the oldest and adding a newer episode each week. Well two weeks ago they failed to add a new episode and this week they skipped forward 5 episodes from episode 10 to 15.

That tears it--I'll be cancelling my subscription.
I know it doesn't help you, but it really is "not their fault", aka, it's how it works. The contract with The CW allows (forces) them to publish the last 5 episodes to air of each show. It's not a problem between Sep/Oct and Apr/May when the episodes are airing in order (although it is annoying that I can't 'collect' more than 5 episodes to watch at a time), but during the Summer this sort of things will happen because the channel either does not air repeats, or starts airing them and then decides to stop, flips the episodes order, etc...

I've been catching up on iZombie and have been lucky so far, but indeed Arrow (and Hart of Dixie, just checked) have missing episodes during re-runs.
post #225 of 231 Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Additional ''how it works'' facts to keep in mind...

The network contracts for only 2 runs of each episode-the first showing + 1 repeat. Since the CW doesn't air much in the way of specials, they may obtain a second rerun option for a handful of early season episodes to pad out the 52 week calendar year, but not the entire season. Since the first half of the season will get repeated during Christmas and spring breaks, those can't be shown again (unless the network pays for them). Leaving the second half rerunning over the summer to bounce around with a batch of mid season eps.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #226 of 231 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh, that I wasn't aware of...It can be a pain sometimes. Those shows where they have the rights to publish all episodes from the current season are certainly easier to follow.

I'm behind on plenty of network shows, but at least I know that if I don't finish them in a few weeks before the Fall Season starts, they'll either be on Netflix already or probably won't take long to show up.
post #227 of 231 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I realize that it's not their fault; they're just making the episode that's reran on the broadcast channel available to stream the day after (I streamed yesterday's episode of The Flash on Hulu after midnight). I could be recording the reruns of the series and have the same problem. But if they aren't any better than recording the reruns for the things that I'm watching, why am I paying them $8/month (and watching non-skippable ads to boot)? I was following the season of Arrow and paid $12 to buy the 4 episodes they skipped in HD on Amazon 'cause I wanted to see them before watching the next episode they offered.

post #228 of 231 Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 861
Quote:
I realize that it's not their fault; they're just making the episode that's reran on the broadcast channel available to stream the day after (I streamed yesterday's episode of The Flash on Hulu after midnight). I could be recording the reruns of the series and have the same problem. But if they aren't any better than recording the reruns for the things that I'm watching, why am I paying them $8/month (and watching non-skippable ads to boot)? I was following the season of Arrow and paid $12 to buy the 4 episodes they skipped in HD on Amazon 'cause I wanted to see them before watching the next episode they offered.
Well, in a sense, I'd say it was their fault if you consider that they are forced to accept those terms since they're owned by the same companies that they're contracting with to carry that content. That's always been a kludge with Hulu, they're simply not independent like a Netflix or Amazon and it's reflected in the content and the access to that content that they have. It's a sort of a "it is what it is" thing, if you go with Hulu you have to accept that things will be a bit wonky.

I've never bothered with Hulu except for the rare foreign TV series that couldn't be found elsewhere(legally anyway) and I'd only subscribe for the month, other than that, I never use the service.
post #229 of 231 Unread Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Gotta admit though that the Hulu Showtime addon gives access to a lot of their shows including all seasons and episodes. Something I hear HBO ain't doing almost twice the price. Plus you don't need to wait until the next day as episodes debut the same time as as they do cable on the East Coast. CW also does this with episodes but they wait an hour after the show has played in your time zone.
post #230 of 231 Unread Today, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I suspect that PQ of Hulu from my Roku 3 is superior to that of my local CW affiliate, who may be broadcasting bit-starved MPEG-2. I watched my TiVo recording of The Flash after having watched the episode on Hulu the previous night and that's the impression I was left with. I'll have to take a closer look.

(I use the Roku instead of TiVo for streaming Hulu because TiVo still has the clunkier old UI).

post #231 of 231 Unread Today, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suspect that PQ of Hulu from my Roku 3 is superior to that of my local CW affiliate, who may be broadcasting bit-starved MPEG-2. I watched my TiVo recording of The Flash after having watched the episode on Hulu the previous night and that's the impression I was left with. I'll have to take a closer look.

(I use the Roku instead of TiVo for streaming Hulu because TiVo still has the clunkier old UI).
Yup, about everything I watch on Hulu even if it is 720p looks better than if the show is broadcast at 1080i. That includes the PQ on Showtime compared to when I had it on Comcast and it was 1080i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page