Who has HULU Plus? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 173 Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can somebody give me the pro's and con's before I sign up?

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 173 Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
I only kept the trial for a few days, but it didn't take long to determine it stinks. Costs as much as Netflix for a fraction of the content (although it is different). Plus you must still suffer through endless commercials and subpar picture and sound quality. The apps on my streaming devices (sony and panasonic) would constantly freeze during commercials, sometimes requiring me to start the program over.
post #3 of 173 Old 03-12-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The big advantages of Hulu Plus are next day viewing of shows that just aired on TV stations and viewing on devices with the Hulu Plus app (as opposed to using a DLNA server.)

If neither of those are factors, I'd just stick with the free service.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 173 Old 03-12-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The main lure for me was that Hulu Plus programs are in HD while regular Hulu is SD. If you watch on a smallish screen the difference probably doesn't matter but if you project onto a large screen then the HD version is the only way to go. I signed up for the free 1 week trial and was generally satisfied with the HD quality so I will use it for another month before I deciding whether I want go beyond that.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 173 Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

The big advantages of Hulu Plus are next day viewing of shows that just aired on TV stations and viewing on devices with the Hulu Plus app (as opposed to using a DLNA server.)

If neither of those are factors, I'd just stick with the free service.

You can also get next day viewing via free Hulu through some pay tv providers. For example, my Dish service has "TV Everywhere". Once you're authenticated via login, next day shows as well as older ones are unlocked and are then streamed via Hulu. I haven't done an extensive comparison, but it appears I can access a lot of Hulu+ content this way even though I don't subscribe to Hulu+. So if you haven't dropped pay tv altogether, this is a good alternative.

Back when I tried it, Hulu+ was only 720P/stereo at best on anything besides a computer. That may have changed.
post #6 of 173 Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I tried it and dumped it very quickly. When I tried it, H+ did not have the same content that H did, the stuff I found on H I thought would be in HD on H+ and it was not available due to restrictions by the broadcasters. Once I found that out there was zero reason to keep let alone pay for H+.
post #7 of 173 Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Liked: 14
Ended my free trial right away since all the new shows overlayed network logos on the screen- reason why I don't watch them over the air! (Hulu Desktop on a computer lets you avoid these.) I also refuse to pay for commercials, and Hulu runs many of the same ones repeatedly! If you get a show that doesn't have any sponsors, they'll run public service announcements in place of commercials, and play those to death too!
post #8 of 173 Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ads are the only way Hulu can keep the service at $8 (or free.)

post #9 of 173 Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I honestly don't have an issue with the ads, but at least give me a clutter free screen while the show is playing.

Although I haven't used it, but just from what I know about the service, I'm not overly interested ATM.
post #10 of 173 Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I tried it and was very disappointed. Ads don't bother me (I mean look how much we pay for tv service and those channels have plenty of ads). What bothers me is that Hulu+, the pay version of this service, doesn't have all of the content of free Hulu. Why does a subscriber need to have two different versions of the same service to watch all of it's content? I'd rather pay for Netflix and use it with free Hulu.
post #11 of 173 Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

So, I have watched a few shows for the last couple of days and with the exception of the adds, I like HULU+. The UI is very polished on the PS3 and it actualy has a search option. "NOW HEAR THIS NETFLIX, BRING BACK THE SEARCH OPTION" What a concept!! I have been "SEARCHING" for shows using the "SEARCH" option and I have found some really cool TV shows in the library. I got hooked on Hero's. I do not know if this show is still running, but I love it. I think I will keep HULU+.

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #12 of 173 Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

So, I have watched a few shows for the last couple of days and with the exception of the adds, I like HULU+. The UI is very polished on the PS3 and it actualy has a search option. "NOW HEAR THIS NETFLIX, BRING BACK THE SEARCH OPTION" What a concept!! I have been "SEARCHING" for shows using the "SEARCH" option and I have found some really cool TV shows in the library. I got hooked on Hero's. I do not know if this show is still running, but I love it. I think I will keep HULU+.

??? Netflix on the PS3 has a search feature, you just hit triangle. That's on every screen in that thing.
post #13 of 173 Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

??? Netflix on the PS3 has a search feature, you just hit triangle. That's on every screen in that thing.

I know the PS3 has a search option, but no other device has the search option.

Cheers
post #14 of 173 Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Pretty sure that's why he pointed it since you said you were using Hulu+ on a PS3 and then in the same breath went on a tirade that that Netflix didn't have a search feature.
post #15 of 173 Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Ummm...blu ray players with the old vr 1 HTML5 UI, has Search, and the new Panasonic 220/320 series has it too, now featured on the main menu screen seen in the pictures in the link.
http://www.techofthehub.com/2012/03/...ving-room.html

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #16 of 173 Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

So Joe, did you try Hulu+ yet? What do you think?
post #17 of 173 Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I enjoy the content and I think $8/month is a fair price. It really depends on what you're looking for, when you are looking to pick a streaming provider. I have yet to find one "best". Used to have Netflix alone, but now I use Hulu+ and Amazon Prime. I prefer that combo over Netflix streaming.

Heck, you could use all 3 for the price of a basic cable package.
post #18 of 173 Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I dropped my trial after a week because Hulu+ was always pausing to rebuffer the stream.

I have tried it on two different Hulu+ players (one built into my TV and the other on my PS3) and both had the same problems.

Others report no buffering, but all I can say is that I can stream the highest possible quality from Netflix and Vudu with no buffering anywhere in sight, so the problem isn't on my end.

I do wonder if Charter is throttling Hulu+ somehow though....

Either way, there's no point paying for a service that hiccups all the time.
post #19 of 173 Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

So Joe, did you try Hulu+ yet? What do you think?

So far so good. The service seems to have a lot of current content to choose from. I have been watching Hero's for the last week and HULU has all four seasons. $8 per month is good. Some of the comercial are effing funny. I think I will stay as a paying customer. One thing I will say is that I am impressed by how current and how complete the content is on HULU. I could never get this on Netflix. Streaming on my PS3 also allows me to watch all content from HULU, not part content like some other hardware. I like My wife even likes it. It is a win win for all.

Cheers
post #20 of 173 Old 03-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wouldn't pay a penny for hulu. Don't give them the idea that we will put up with commercials and pay for streaming.
post #21 of 173 Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post

I wouldn't pay a penny for hulu. Don't give them the idea that we will put up with commercials and pay for streaming.

Ummm...I think they already have this idea.

post #22 of 173 Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Some of the comercial are effing funny.

Can you skip or ffd thru the commercials?
post #23 of 173 Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nope.

post #24 of 173 Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
hulu plus should be ALL of hulu and then some. NOT LESS
IF I pay no commercials.

Overall plus to me is a rip off.
WAIT I can pay to see it tonight and even get commercials too. WHAT A DEAL
post #25 of 173 Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Ended my free trial right away since all the new shows overlayed network logos on the screen- reason why I don't watch them over the air! (Hulu Desktop on a computer lets you avoid these.) I also refuse to pay for commercials, and Hulu runs many of the same ones repeatedly! If you get a show that doesn't have any sponsors, they'll run public service announcements in place of commercials, and play those to death too!

I especially object to those ever growing network logos and pop up commercials for future shows. The FCC was tasked with restricting broadcast content so that it was in the public's best interest. Fine job they have done of that.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
post #26 of 173 Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I like Hulu+ well enough to keep it,mainly for the movies which BTW have NO commercials and many of which aren't available on Netflix,Vudu,or Amazon. I will on occasion watch tv shows and agree that the ads.are obnoxious,but they are fewer in number than cable/sat. One thing i can't understand is why people seem to gripe more about ads.on Hulu/Hulu+ than they do about the tons of ads. on pay tv, especially when people are paying a LOT of $$$$$$ for it, while Hulu+ is 'only' $8.00/mo. and Hulu is free. confused.gif I don't know how many posts i've read in diff.threads from people saying they won't pay $8.00/mo. for Hulu+ because of ads.,but then turn right around and pay anywhere from ~$75.00-$100.00/mo. (or more) just to have the fun of watching a billion more ads. on pay tv. ......w/o complaint. confused.gif
post #27 of 173 Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been using free Hulu for a long time. I recently decided to try out a 2 week trial for the kids content like Nickelodeon (which gives you access to the 5 most recent episodes, and WWE network shows like Smackdown which is no longer available on free Hulu and Raw which has never been available anywhere. It's not that bad. During breaks you only get 1 AD and it's only 30 seconds long. As opposed to the free service which normally has 3-4 commercials per break that are 30 seconds long.
post #28 of 173 Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I stream both Hulu's to my tv. I can justify keeping Hulu+ because IMO there is enough different content there(compared to free Hulu) to make it worthwhile,tho' i wish there could be some way found to merge the two services into one with two tiers of service,one free(with ads.),the other paid(w/o ads.). I 'think' there are legal reasons why they can't be merged. Tooo bad. frown.gif
post #29 of 173 Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I signed up for Hulu Plus two years ago and cancelled it the same day. Worse streaming service ever. Most of the content I wanted to watch was web only and the ads (they play movie ads too which I hate so much) were a minute long before the show started then after the into again another two ads. It is probably worse now. I just will stick with Netflix. If I paying for a service I want one with no ads. I know cable and satellite have ads but I would not pay for that either but I am living at home so we share the satellite with three other family members.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #30 of 173 Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I've subscribed to Hulu+ for about a half year now and find it very convenient. If I had a DVR and wanted to bother with recording shows I guess I wouldn't need it.

I find if you are watching on a large projection screen 100" and larger you need the HD version of TV shows which only Hulu+ provides. Regular Hulu resolution may work for computer screens and smaller TV sets but the bigger the screen the more you need HD resolution.

Yes, Hulu+ has commercials but they are of much shorter duration than anything you will find on cable. Some shows have no commercials. I am catching up on past seasons of The Family Guy and there no commercials between segments.

There are probably only about 5 TV shows that I watch on a regular basis on Hulu+ but I find the service handy enough to continue. Some people complain about wanting cable companies to change their structure to a menu system where you can pick and choose what you want to watch and pay for, well in a way Hulu+ already supplies this menu and for only $8 a month. I have thought about cutting the cable cord and if I ever do I would definitely use Hulu+ as my one of substitutes.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page