AVS Forum banner

Walmart Entertainment’s Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU

40K views 325 replies 52 participants last post by  dochsale 
#1 ·
Walmart Entertainment's Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU: How it Works

The process to convert previously-purchased DVD/Blu-ray movies to digital copies is quick and simple:

Bring your movie collections from the participating studio partners - Paramount, Sony, Fox, Universal and Warner Bros. - to your local Walmart Photo Center.

A Walmart associate will help you create a free VUDU account.

Tell the associate how you'd like your movies converted:

◦Convert a standard DVD or Blu-ray movie for $2; or,

◦Upgrade a standard DVD to an HD digital copy for $5.

Walmart will authorize the digital copies and place them in your VUDU account. No upload is necessary, and you get to keep your physical discs.

Log onto VUDU.com from more than 300 Internet-connected devices to view movies any time, any place.

Walmart Entertainment supports UltraViolet, the movie industry's initiative currently in its beta phase that allows consumers to put their purchased movies into a cloud-based digital library and keep track of them safely and securely. Walmart is able to offer customers the ability to watch and purchase UltraViolet-enabled titles directly from VUDU.

Press Release:
http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/news/10824.aspx

Video Press Release:
http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/10835.aspx

See less See more
#252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan /forum/post/21966237

I was under the impression that 1.85:1 was the same as 16:9 and that 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 was the top/bottom black bars.

16/9=1.78 not 1.85

So anything higher than 1.78:1 will show some black bars when there is no overscan.

When a show has aspect ratio of 1.78:1, like broadcast HDTV, there will be no black bars.

#253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/21966284

16/9=1.78 not 1.85

So anything higher than 1.78:1 will show some black bars when there is no overscan.

When a show has aspect ratio of 1.78:1, like broadcast HDTV, there will be no black bars.

Good to know, I guess I haven't noticed any black bars on 1.85 is because I've always owned DLP TVs (on Widescreen) and they have a lot of overscan.

#257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen70 /forum/post/21981494

I wonder if this will make people think twice about building an HTPC or buying a Kaleidescape system if you add up the cost.

I doubt it will effect those wanting an HTPC because there's a lot of advantages(OTA recording, gaming, etc) but I do think it will effect entertainment servers. I'm still not sold on the Walmart Disc-to-Digital program as it stands.

#258 ·
I really want TV Show support. A lot of TV Shows (like Friday Night Lights) probably will never see a blu-ray release, but are available in HD online from multiple sources. I'd like if I could buy the complete set of DVDs and just for a few more dollars upgrade to HDX copies from Vudu.

#263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd /forum/post/22013128

I know that you can't do the disc to digital on 3D but if I buy on vudu say Tron 3D does it have the option to watch it in 2D?

If you make the list (from vudu) before you take your movies in there, then they go of the list. So, if you type "Hugo" on the website then the only options are bluray or DVD. Doesnt matter if its 3D version or not.

And just to backup what others are saying, the stamps come off REALLY easy. I just dabbed a napkin with rubbing alcohol and POOF it's gone!

I took in blurays of 12 monkeys, Air Force One, and Mission Impossible II & III. No problems. An old lady helped me out and she'd never done the process before and was able to figure it out in 5 minutes.

#265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi  /t/1399850/walmart-entertainment-s-disc-to-digital-service-powered-by-vudu/240#post_22116982

I have noticed that not all UltraViolet movies are on Vudu. I had a Blu-Ray (Falling Skies S1) w/UV Flixster code, but no Vudu equivalent. Meaning my parents can't watch it on their TV's via Vudu, the main thing I find UV is good for.

I've had the same problem with Flixster/Warner since day one. Sony,Paramount and Vudu all show up in my UltraViolet libary, no Flixster. I have given up on them, wrote a least 5 emails to Flixster & UV both . NOTHING

mark

#266 ·
I've been bringing in my DVD's and Blu rays to my local wallmart(s) since June. I went through all 800 DVDs I have to log which movies are avail on the disc to digital and went through the 150 Blu rays and checked the same. Once my lists were done I began taking in the Blu rays 10-15 at a time and 3 DVDs to upgrade to hdx.

So a month later all my avail Blu rays are done, and most of my DVDs that I want are upgraded to hdx. Still have more DVDs to upgrade, better than have in to rebuy the Blu ray version.

So after a month of trips to wallmart, my suggestion is to grab a stack of the sheets and fill in at home the list you want to do that day. Then be nice to the wallmart employs doing the work and they will take care of you, since most don't know how to do it, had to teach a few myself. But by the third time they were calling me by my first name and calling me on my cellphone when they were done, usually quicker since I was always pleasant with them. Go during week when they are less busy helping customers with photo.

If you do it in the infancy, while employs are learning they often make errors in your favor, like not stamping the Blu rays/DVD or charging two dollars for upgrade rather than the five, so I've heard anyways.

To me vudu is awesome since I have a large library. This is why, 1 I can stream one movie from my ps3 vudu library and a second stream from my Sony Blu ray player. Second reason if the family wants to stream from laptop, iPad of iPhones when we are out no prob, we can watch are movies on our devices.

The rest of my movies that aren't available yet for disc to digital I will burn to nas and get dune media players to playback. So i will need less space for the nas since I put 145 on my vudu account. That's at least 3 terabytes off my nas and put on wallmarts server

My thoughts anyways

#267 ·
Anyone still taking advantage of this? I would have expected much more traffic to this thread if they were.

#268 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore  /t/1399850/walmart-entertainment-s-disc-to-digital-service-powered-by-vudu/240#post_22312892

Anyone still taking advantage of this? I would have expected much more traffic to this thread if they were.

I've done it 6 times. Did 5 movies at Walmart 3 days ago. I have converted 44 movies to Walmart Vudu Ultraviolet in HDX quality so far. Only 1 of the movies I owned on Blu-ray. The other 43 movies I borrowed. What's your experience if any? Have you done it?

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV  /t/1399850/walmart-entertainment-s-disc-to-digital-service-powered-by-vudu/240#post_22313068

I've done it 6 times. Did 5 movies at Walmart 3 days ago. I have converted 44 movies to Walmart Vudu Ultraviolet in HDX quality so far. Only 1 of the movies I owned on Blu-ray. The other 43 movies I borrowed. What's your experience if any? Have you done it?

I've gone to Walmart 3 times for a total of 11 movies but only because they were not available on blu-ray and I could get them on HDX. Otherwise, I would have purchased the blu-ray copy.

#270 ·
I use a Roku....no Vudu available, can I still use thier service? I have the same problem with movies i've purchased that include a digital copy, they wan't you to use either ultraviolet (thats vudu, right?) or itunes? or transfer to computor which I don't want.........do I have any other options?? thanks for any replys

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear  /t/1399850/walmart-entertainment-s-disc-to-digital-service-powered-by-vudu/240#post_22318527

I use a Roku....no Vudu available, can I still use thier service?

Sure. You can view Vudu movies (rentals, purchases, and disc-to-digitals) on an ordinary computer, although it will be standard def only. Or get a second device that uses Vudu.

#272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear  /t/1399850/walmart-entertainment-s-disc-to-digital-service-powered-by-vudu/240#post_22318527

I use a Roku....no Vudu available, can I still use thier service? I have the same problem with movies i've purchased that include a digital copy, they wan't you to use either ultraviolet (thats vudu, right?) or itunes? or transfer to computor which I don't want.........do I have any other options?? thanks for any replys

Ultraviolet is not solely for Vudu. For some movies you have to redeem Ultraviolet thru Flixster or the studio like Sony or Universal.

#273 ·
Vudu is supported on Roku. I just discovered this service within the past week, when I went through my blu-ray collection and decided to redeem my UV digital copies I had. I only had 4 movies with a code sadly, but I now have 111 movies in my UV account from D2D and can access via Vudu! (only after doing plenty of research on UV and the platform..)

I'm hoping in the future more companies will support it as a player, imagine if Microsoft for the Xbox video platform allowed you to link your UV account and then you could download and watch your movies via there platform. I hope this really takes off so then your not stuck to any single platform like... *cough* iTunes *cough*. The potential for this is awesome. Also this is now starting to have TV Series support so it could only get better in the future.

I currently have a 14+ TB server at home and have built a few htpcs, but I still chase the perfect setup. My HTPC with XBMC is good but not good enough for my standards. I think UV has the potential to solve my problem in the future.

Also I've noticed you can now order movies via amazon or walmart that were already released on blu-ray but the new disks come with UV. I have a small collection as it stands, but I will be converting every movie that I have (assuming the others are eventually allowed) and be buying movies only with UV.

Just my thoughts....

#274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV  /t/1399850/walmart-entertainment-s-disc-to-digital-service-powered-by-vudu/270#post_22320847

Ultraviolet is not solely for Vudu. For some movies you have to redeem Ultraviolet thru Flixster or the studio like Sony or Universal.

Update. It looks like any/all UV movie code regardless of studio can be redeemed thru Vudu.

#275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV  /t/1399850/walmart-entertainment-s-disc-to-digital-service-powered-by-vudu/270#post_22484240

Update. It looks like any/all UV movie code regardless of studio can be redeemed thru Vudu.

Is it better to redeem all codes at Vudu or is it better to redeem at the site in the instructions?

I posted this question on the vudu forums, but not yet moderator approved, because I was reading that many times some codes would only redeem a SD copy vs HD. I'm new to this so I don't have much experience redeeming yet. But I've order a bunch of films with codes and plan to redeem them when they arrive.

I'm just trying to ensure I have the best experience regardless of who the provider is... I'm assuming once CFF files are available, that I should be able to get them from VUDU if they were my retailer...

#276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk  /t/1399850/walmart-entertainment-s-disc-to-digital-service-powered-by-vudu/270#post_22484263

Is it better to redeem all codes at Vudu or is it better to redeem at the site in the instructions?

I posted this question on the vudu forums, but not yet moderator approved, because I was reading that many times some codes would only redeem a SD copy vs HD. I'm new to this so I don't have much experience redeeming yet. But I've order a bunch of films with codes and plan to redeem them when they arrive.

I'm just trying to ensure I have the best experience regardless of who the provider is... I'm assuming once CFF files are available, that I should be able to get them from VUDU if they were my retailer...

I used to redeem solely from the Studio sheet instructions and Flixster but I prefer to redeem from Vudu and have been getting all the correct HDX versions from Blu-ray as of lately. I'm never going to watch a movie on Flixster or Sony or Universal or Paramount, etc.

I just redeemed "Contagion" on Flixster because there was no redeem link on Vudu. Contagion is not available to rent or buy on Vudu at the moment. In the last week I redeemed all these via Vudu and got HDX:

Dark Shadows

21 Jump Street

Rock Of Ages

Safe House

Snow White & The Huntsman

Pirates: Band of Misfits

MI: Ghost Protocol

Hunger Games

Battleship

Cabin In The Woods

However, no one is getting HDX for Scarface Blu-ray code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.