Walmart Entertainment’s Disc-to-Digital Service Powered by VUDU - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 326 Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Catt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I identified a bunch of my standard DVDs that are eligible for D2D and I might want to have access to and upgraded to HDX, and have now plowed through a bunch. I've only experienced a few errors thus far:

(1) some versions of eligible movies aren't recognized (i.e., same content as an eligible movie, but purchased in a combo gift pack some time back) examples are Ghostbusters from a combo of Ghostbusters 1 + 2 gift pack, and Apollo 13 anniversary edition (10 years after original release)

(2) standard DVD of Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban is recognized as Chamber of Secrets; and

(3) another Harry Potter standard DVD was recognized as a blu-ray format.

Overall I am finding the service really, really attractive and easy to use.
Catt99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 326 Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone try this with HD DVDs? I would think it would work but haven't tried any yet (even if it was at $5 and treated it like a DVD it might be worth it). I am sure it would have to be done via carry in as a computer drive would not recognize an HD DVD.

If no one has, I will be the guinea pig tomorrow and give it a shot if I can get ther early enough.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #303 of 326 Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have some I would like to try but haven't taken the plunge. It might also depend on which Walmart you take it to?

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is online now  
post #304 of 326 Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I have some I would like to try but haven't taken the plunge. It might also depend on which Walmart you take it to?


I am going tomorrow and we'll see; I have loaded ten onto my list to start with. I have to think they'll at least do the $5 option as this is the price for a DVD, after all it is an (HD) DVD and
I will be happy with that.

Over time and as prices have come down, I have replicated many of my HD DVDs with Blu Rays, so I will start with those that haven't and see if i can save a few dollars. However, at $5, it is getting close to break even as many of the HDs I bought are now available used on Blu ray for around that $5 rate.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #305 of 326 Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
RandomNinjaAtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I was able to convert my HD DVD's via Vudu's D2D at walmart. However, I was doing at least 20 discs at a time (In cases) and they associates didn't fully check my discs. Also only 1 or 2 titles in the stack were HD DVD vs Blu-rays. But they didn't give me any fuss about it. I wish you luck!

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
RandomNinjaAtk is online now  
post #306 of 326 Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm going today to see if I can convert 21 and they're all going to be HD DVDs. I'll let you know what happens...

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is online now  
post #307 of 326 Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I'm going today to see if I can convert 21 and they're all going to be HD DVDs. I'll let you know what happens...

OK, I was able to do the ten with no problem as DVDs (so it cost $5 each to go to HDX). It probably helped that the one on top and probably 3 or 4 others were combos, so they were already technically DVDs. However, I still believe HD-DVDs should qualify for the $2 rate, but I am not sure how I feel about trying to see if it would work. But, I will guarantee that I have more $$ per disc paid to the studios for the HDs that the BDs. With the "digital rot" posts out there about HD DVDs, I would love the peace of mind that would come from having a digital copy in the cloud in HDX.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #308 of 326 Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

I was able to convert my HD DVD's via Vudu's D2D at walmart. However, I was doing at least 20 discs at a time (In cases) and they associates didn't fully check my discs. Also only 1 or 2 titles in the stack were HD DVD vs Blu-rays. But they didn't give me any fuss about it. I wish you luck!


So, did you get the $2 rate for the HDs, or $5?

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #309 of 326 Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I'm going today to see if I can convert 21 and they're all going to be HD DVDs. I'll let you know what happens...

Did it! Got all 21 HD DVD's converted to D2D for the $2.00 price. Makes sense since they were HD already. I was willing to pay $2.00 but not $5.00 since I've bought some of them over and over (VHS, DVD, HD DVD, BD, etc.). The lady at Walmart was having problems with her machine so it took about 30 minutes but I was willing to wait for this price. I only have 2 more HD DVD's to convert but they weren't available so I might just get them in Blu-ray.

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is online now  
post #310 of 326 Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Senior Member
 
RandomNinjaAtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

So, did you get the $2 rate for the HDs, or $5?

Mine went through as blu-rays for $2.00 each. I had already generated the list by entering it into VUDU's site. The personnel were just lazy in a good way! They would look up my pending order, briefly scan and noticed that I had all the titles (not thoroughly) and then just process it for checkout. So like I said, I may have been just really lucky.... But I only needed to convert 1 - 3 HD DVD titles, so not very many...

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
RandomNinjaAtk is online now  
post #311 of 326 Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

Mine went through as blu-rays for $2.00 each. I had already generated the list by entering it into VUDU's site. The personnel were just lazy in a good way! They would look up my pending order, briefly scan and noticed that I had all the titles (not thoroughly) and then just process it for checkout. So like I said, I may have been just really lucky.... But I only needed to convert 1 - 3 HD DVD titles, so not very many...

Sounds like I overpaid, but I'll try the other next time. I'll do more next week.


I still have about 200 HD DVDs that I do not own on Blu Ray. For the $2 fee I'd be willig to convert them all.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #312 of 326 Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
RandomNinjaAtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
You might want to try just taking the discs in without the cases or use clear jewl cases. I would think that they'd have a much harder time distinguishing the difference between the disc type. But to do this, be sure you have already entered all your discs into Vudu's website for conversion and bring the printed list... That might be the best way, because HD-DVD cases would be too obvious and all you need is the disc itself....

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
RandomNinjaAtk is online now  
post #313 of 326 Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

You might want to try just taking the discs in without the cases or use clear jewl cases. I would think that they'd have a much harder time distinguishing the difference between the disc type. But to do this, be sure you have already entered all your discs into Vudu's website for conversion and bring the printed list... That might be the best way, because HD-DVD cases would be too obvious and all you need is the disc itself....

Yeah, that or change out the "red" cases for "blue" ones. Given how closely the last guy checked, you could probably take a blank CD in there inside a blu case and get by with it. smile.gif


On the other hand, I cannot see a way around it. I tried the Vudu D2D home version, and at least half of my Blu rays and many DVDs I own return an error. I get the "please take the dsc to your local Wal-Mart for processing"- where the human is the weak link.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #314 of 326 Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
RandomNinjaAtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

On the other hand, I cannot see a way around it. I tried the Vudu D2D home version, and at least half of my Blu rays and many DVDs I own return an error. I get the "please take the dsc to your local Wal-Mart for processing"- where the human is the weak link.

I've converted 6 - 7 titles this way and haven't had any issues using the Vudu D2D home version, but I only use it with titles that I've already checked via Vudu's site that I know are compatible with it. The only issue I had was that one blu-ray was recognized as a DVD so it was $5.00 instead of $2.00 for HDX. But other then that it's been fine for me. Maybe I'm just the exception and I haven't tried a large quantity of discs because mine were already mostly converted by taking them into Walmart already....

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
RandomNinjaAtk is online now  
post #315 of 326 Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

I've converted 6 - 7 titles this way and haven't had any issues using the Vudu D2D home version, but I only use it with titles that I've already checked via Vudu's site that I know are compatible with it. The only issue I had was that one blu-ray was recognized as a DVD so it was $5.00 instead of $2.00 for HDX. But other then that it's been fine for me. Maybe I'm just the exception and I haven't tried a large quantity of discs because mine were already mostly converted by taking them into Walmart already....

Maybe I should try a different one of my computers. The one I have been trying on has a USB drive attached (the only BD drive I have) and the internal drive of that computer is broken. I notice it tries to look at the internal drive first. However, it has worked with some discs which is why I thought it was something on their end.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #316 of 326 Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rigby Reardon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Anyone try this with HD DVDs?
I have converted the DVD sides of several HD DVD combos using the Vudu app (e.g. Breach and Miami Vice). Of course I had to pay the $5 rate for HDX.
Quote:
I would think it would work but haven't tried any yet (even if it was at $5 and treated it like a DVD it might be worth it). I am sure it would have to be done via carry in as a computer drive would not recognize an HD DVD.
Yes. I actually have a drive in my computer that can read HD DVDs, but the Vudu app did not recognize the discs (not surprising). I have heard varying reports from the Walmart stores. I have never done an in-store conversion myself. I tried two times, but in both cases the photo department was deserted and I couldn't find anybody who even knew what Vudu or D2D is. But maybe our store is just a particularly crappy one (I usually never go there).
Rigby Reardon is offline  
post #317 of 326 Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

I have converted the DVD sides of several HD DVD combos using the Vudu app (e.g. Breach and Miami Vice). Of course I had to pay the $5 rate for HDX.
Yes. I actually have a drive in my computer that can read HD DVDs, but the Vudu app did not recognize the discs (not surprising). I have heard varying reports from the Walmart stores. I have never done an in-store conversion myself. I tried two times, but in both cases the photo department was deserted and I couldn't find anybody who even knew what Vudu or D2D is. But maybe our store is just a particularly crappy one (I usually never go there).


I am in the process of doing some DVDs today and it seems to be working fine from home. Of course, I can't get HD DVDs to work, but I expected that. For $2 it is great to have my BDs in the cloud and not too bad at $5 to convert some DVDs. I am going back to WM with some HD DVDs next week and we'll see if I can get them at the $2 rate. If so, I may do almost all of them.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #318 of 326 Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Resurrecting this thread as I am now up to a boatload of D2D titles and have found that the convenience has been great for my family. HDX quality is great as well.

For the last 3 months, the D2D program has been 50% off if you do it from home so I have done all of mine this way if possible. If you like the convenience of Vudu and HDX quality, I can highly recommend it- the discount is continuing until December 31.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #319 of 326 Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes, there is a sale of 50% using the Vudu2Go application but viewers of this thread should also know that it is in "beta" and there are a lot of bugs. I've only had about a 75% success rate. The other 25% are blu-rays that are not recognized or recognized incorrectly as other movies.

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is online now  
post #320 of 326 Old 09-06-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Yes, there is a sale of 50% using the Vudu2Go application but viewers of this thread should also know that it is in "beta" and there are a lot of bugs. I've only had about a 75% success rate. The other 25% are blu-rays that are not recognized or recognized incorrectly as other movies.

Absolutely correct. I will also add that there is no resolution if they do not come up or don't come up correctly- your only remedy is to take the disc into your Walmart for conversion and pay the full fee (no discount). I will add that at least some of this is the manufacturing process rather than Vudu's service.

Several of my discs were identified as the wrong Blu ray, but a disc of the same movie from someone else came up correctly- on older titles.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #321 of 326 Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Absolutely correct. I will also add that there is no resolution if they do not come up or don't come up correctly- your only remedy is to take the disc into your Walmart for conversion and pay the full fee (no discount). I will add that at least some of this is the manufacturing process rather than Vudu's service.

Several of my discs were identified as the wrong Blu ray, but a disc of the same movie from someone else came up correctly- on older titles.

I tried the D2D beta software yesterday and got one out of two DVD attempts. The Xanadu DVD was successful but the Real Genius DVD was not recognized.

I noticed that the database is tied to Gracenote whose big forte up until recently was as a music database for CD's. If you search their website long enough you will find their submission form for Video database problems. Although I suspect the problem lies with VUDU's beta software I submitted my problem disc for their response.

http://support.gracenote.com/articles/Public_FAQ/Problems-With-DVD-Blu-ray-Recognition/?l=en_US&c=Public%3AConsumers&cu=1&fs=ContactUs&pn=4

Update: Took my Real Genius DVD down to a Walmart and it got it upgraded there. The HD version actually looks better good and will have to do until the Blu-ray comes out, whenever that might be.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #322 of 326 Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
E55 KEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HDX Starter Pack - 5 free HDX movies for new users

What is the HDX Starter Pack?

The HDX Starter Pack is VUDU?s latest promotion for new customers. When you sign up with VUDU, you get to pick 5 HDX movies from select titles to jump start your digital movie collection.

The promotion includes: Man On Fire; Mission Impossible; Footloose; There's Something About Mary; Star Trek (the 2009 edition); Punch Drunk; Independence Day; G.I. Joe and roughly 20 others.

http://www.vudu.com/account_promotion.html

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

E55 KEV is offline  
post #323 of 326 Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A lot better selection than when I signed up. Much better selection than Target Ticket has as well.

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is online now  
post #324 of 326 Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,127
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Yes, Vudu has come a long ways since i got my first Vudu STBs back in 2007.
HTGeek7 likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #325 of 326 Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Newbie
 
HTGeek7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have become a huge fan of VUDU since I first started the UV streaming to my TV. I think it's a great idea, what's not.... The damn walmart experience!! It seems like everyone I go to has their DTD machine broken mad.gif I have used the BETA version in home for DVDs and it has great picture and sound when you upgrade to HDX! It seems like I'm not the only one that has had this problem!
HTGeek7 is offline  
post #326 of 326 Old 04-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Newbie
 
dochsale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I can say that walmart is the smartest ass I ever seen ... I started watching vudu because of their prepaid cards where bonus is vudu movie credit, this card cost $5 but if you walk by few websites like 4saleusa or netstrada you will be able buy this card/code for $3 or less. So you are able to watch movie, rent a movie for around $2-3 bucks! little bit higher than redbox but you do not have to drive anywhere to pick up the cd. and you can watch in any place in the World anytime. I Love it !

dochsale is offline  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off