Originally Posted by room7seven
I think everyone has been there.....cable/satellite bills are $125+/ month, but you dont feel like you watched your money's worth. There are lots of options out there (Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime...) and with this project I want to be able to reduce my bill significantly (~$30/month)
Currently I pay about $1500/ year for my dish network.
5 HD tvs (non are internet ready)
Cat5&Coax near every tv, all cables lead to equipment closet
My Channel Needs
1) Big Network Prime Time Shows (Solved)
- 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, Community, Family Guy, HIMYM, House, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation
2) FX (partially Solved, still need help)
- Some of my favorite shows are on FX such as Louie, The League and Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia
...they post shows on their website but not in any type of order
3) Syndicated/Reruns/random surfing (Solved)
- When people gather we watch alot of Friends, Fresh Prince or Seinfeld Reruns
....this isnt an issue because I have the box sets of all of these. I have ripped them all onto my NAS System connected to my home network
4) News (Need Help)
- Most of my news watching is stock market related news during the daytime and a little local news before bed
5) Sports/Sports/Sports (partially Solved, still need help)
- This is where the biggest problem arises, I watch alot of basketball and I dont mind getting NBA League Pass (~$150/yr) but from what I have read there are lots of blackouts (all local games and nationally televised games(ABC/TNT/ESPN)). Is there any way I could get the international version in the US? From what I have read the international version is all HD and no blackouts.
6) Some kind of DVR feature?
[*]I will get a Roku for each tv (all Roku 2s ~$400)
-this will solve problem 3) as I will be able to stream from my computer and surf random internet videos[*]I will get Hulu+ (~$100/yr)
-this will solve problem 1) as I will be able to stream all the prime time shows through the Roku[*]I will get NBA League pass and try to mask my IP so I could get my local team games, This will stream through the Roku as well
-this will hopefully solve problem 5)