AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Huh?

Just thought you may be interested in PBS programming direct from PBS, guess not!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

If your already have an internet/phone package from a cableco, you probably could add a basic tv package to it (not the lifeline type of package) for around $30 - $40. It would be sd, but you'll still be able to get the ota channels in hd and use Netflix/Hulu+ as your "dvr".

What's the matter with the "lifeline type of package"? Around here, Basic Cable from Comcast is $10.93 per month (plus taxes and fees of course). It has all the OTA channels in HD. And it's still a lot less than $30 or $40. And it solves the problem of e.g. getting PBS, without needing a 1 meter dish (which, don't get me wrong, is a good idea for many people. It's just that I have tall trees in my yard).
post #33 of 50 Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

And it solves the problem of e.g. getting PBS, without needing a 1 meter dish (which, don't get me wrong, is a good idea for many people. It's just that I have tall trees in my yard).

The problem for some of us is the fact many PBS (and commercial stations) is using excessive compression on their HD channel. In my area the PBS station also has a very large & obnoxious bug. I tried very hard to get management to not use a bug on our main program channel and to have only one sub-channel when I was with MPB. I lost on both counts so I procured the necessary equipment and have been receiving PBS direct via satellite for about 8 years.

Hopefully my friends at OPB are doing a better job for you in regard to compression and bugs.
post #34 of 50 Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

What's the matter with the "lifeline type of package"? Around here, Basic Cable from Comcast is $10.93 per month (plus taxes and fees of course). It has all the OTA channels in HD. And it's still a lot less than $30 or $40. And it solves the problem of e.g. getting PBS, without needing a 1 meter dish (which, don't get me wrong, is a good idea for many people. It's just that I have tall trees in my yard).

He said he was also interested in sports/news programming. You're not going to get much of that with a "lifeline" package. That's why I mentioned a basic package. With that you'll probably get at least some (if not all) of the following: CNN, HLN, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2 as well as the local RSN (will ease blackouts in regard to NBA League Pass)..
post #35 of 50 Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

He said he was also interested in sports/news programming. You're not going to get much of that with a "lifeline" package. That's why I mentioned a basic package. With that you'll probably get at least some (if not all) of the following: CNN, HLN, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2 as well as the local RSN (will ease blackouts in regard to NBA League Pass)..

My lifeline package is just using the qam tuner in my tv. I have Comcast internet, so I just split the cable between the router and tv and viola- 20 or so channels of crap plus my local stations in hd. It's not much, but the local's are all I really need out of it, and all I pay for is the internet service.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #36 of 50 Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

My lifeline package is just using the qam tuner in my tv. I have Comcast internet, so I just split the cable between the router and tv and viola- 20 or so channels of crap plus my local stations in hd. It's not much, but the local's are all I really need out of it, and all I pay for is the internet service.

Did you have to do anything as far as adding filters to the line? (For example, with DSL you need to add filters to the phones, etc.)

I have Charter for internet, but rely on OTA for TV. I've been tempted to pipe the cable feed to my TV once or twice, but I haven't gotten around to digging an RG6 splitter out of the bottom of my cables-and-dongles drawer.

-Suntan
post #37 of 50 Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Did you have to do anything as far as adding filters to the line? (For example, with DSL you need to add filters to the phones, etc.)

I have Charter for internet, but rely on OTA for TV. I've been tempted to pipe the cable feed to my TV once or twice, but I haven't gotten around to digging an RG6 splitter out of the bottom of my cables-and-dongles drawer.

-Suntan

No, no filters. I just use a simple coax splitter I've had since Jesus was a Lance Corproal. Works like a charm.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #38 of 50 Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been tempted to pipe the cable feed to my TV once or twice, but I haven't gotten around to digging an RG6 splitter out of the bottom of my cables-and-dongles drawer.

You should not need a filter in most cases, just a good splitter. If you should require isolation (30 dB or more) then you can try a directional coupler such as the MCM Cable Modem Optimizer/Splitter, Part# 33-10395.

Some cable companies use the CommScope SV-DC-6G directional couplers. These seem hard to come by at retail. They will have 2.5 to .85 dB of insertion loss depending on model. A good splitter will have 3.5 dB (or more) of insertion loss.

post #39 of 50 Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hope the post on ruku and unbundling comes about.
There are only 3 or 4 channels I miss now that I only get ota and netflix.
I do not like the Hulu crap. Yep I had the pay for commercials model and it sucked big time.

do not know about where you are and comcrap but here, the cheapie local one tv one feed is $17.99 + fees
oh wait everyone has HD and that is not in that cheapie service.
you need the std digital package its $29.99 oh and +$10 for HD
then you need a box for $7 a month.
how about a dvr for only $16 a month.

no thanks

They wonder why people are dropping them?

pbs and all the local HD's look great OTA. At least as good as dish or comcast which I have had in the past
post #40 of 50 Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
If I could, I would be using an antenna to get my local prime time channels but the hills block some of those channels in my area.

There's a little unadvertised subscription the cable companies don't mention.
It's called limited cable.
You get all local prime time channels in HD(if they provide them), Discovery, Hallmark, shopping and public access channels all for $12+tax.

No box required.
The cable guy comes to your house and installs a filter on the cable to only allow specific channels/frequencies though.

You basically have to ask them for this subscription.

post #41 of 50 Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

So I plugged one of the TVs to the cable internet feed to see if I might get an extra channel free... after a scan it showed about half of the channels I already get OTA.

No big loss I guess.

-Suntan
post #42 of 50 Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
well comcast and limited anything is bs. They do this to say we are good at heart.
when you try and find out about this on the net.
We're sorry, the system could not process your request at this time.
when you call they said "WHAT"?
never heard of that but what you need is EXTENDED BASIC its only 20 a month and if you have HD then ................................

this is exactly what I got when I tried to call about this last year.

A friend tried the same thing, he had comcast with everything and internet service.
I want to drop my tv, internet went from $40 to $65
but we can give you a basic plan for $20 and keep the $40 internet
isn't there a $10 plan or something like that.
you don't qualify.
post #43 of 50 Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I plugged one of the TVs to the cable internet feed to see if I might get an extra channel free... after a scan it showed about half of the channels I already get OTA.

With cable you have to checkout all the sub-channels. For example, you may have CBS on 87-1 & CW on 87-2, NBC on 79-2 & Fox on 79-3, etc. Do you have/ever had a MIT MDP-130 tuner card?
post #44 of 50 Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

you don't qualify.

Some areas are covered by a Comcast franchise therefore the pricing structure can vary. When I had Comcast I had limited basic for about $12 a month for the first year then it went up several dollars. My mom lives in another city and has a Comcast limited basic for about $8 a month. She has had this for many years.
post #45 of 50 Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

With cable you have to checkout all the sub-channels. For example, you may have CBS on 87-1 & CW on 87-2, NBC on 79-2 & Fox on 79-3, etc. Do you have/ever had a MIT MDP-130 tuner card?

Thanks... Yes I checked the subchannels.

I do have a MyHD130 card sitting in the drawer somewhere, but I have no desire to install that into my computer. As I said, I checked the cable channels on one of my TVs.

-Suntan
post #46 of 50 Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

well comcast and limited anything is bs. They do this to say we are good at heart.
when you try and find out about this on the net.
We're sorry, the system could not process your request at this time.
when you call they said "WHAT"?
never heard of that but what you need is EXTENDED BASIC its only 20 a month and if you have HD then ................................

this is exactly what I got when I tried to call about this last year.

A friend tried the same thing, he had comcast with everything and internet service.
I want to drop my tv, internet went from $40 to $65
but we can give you a basic plan for $20 and keep the $40 internet
you don't qualify.

It exists.
You just need to be persistent and may be ask for a manager if needed.
Sometimes, you might need to cancel then call back a month later.
At that time, they rather have some business then no business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Some areas are covered by a Comcast franchise therefore the pricing structure can vary. When I had Comcast I had limited basic for about $12 a month for the first year then it went up several dollars. My mom lives in another city and has a Comcast limited basic for about $8 a month. She has had this for many years.

Mine started at $10 in 2007 and has gone up about a $1 a year.
I believe they give new customers the lower rate to sign them up then gradually increase over the years.

post #47 of 50 Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If I subscribe to Netflix can I stream content to my home and to my sons condo a few miles away?
post #48 of 50 Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 PM

Yes, as long as you have broadband or 3G internet access and a netflix compatible device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack View Post

If I subscribe to Netflix can I stream content to my home and to my sons condo a few miles away?

post #49 of 50 Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by room7seven View Post

I think everyone has been there.....cable/satellite bills are $125+/ month, but you dont feel like you watched your money's worth. There are lots of options out there (Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime...) and with this project I want to be able to reduce my bill significantly (~$30/month)

My setup
Currently I pay about $1500/ year for my dish network.
5 HD tvs (non are internet ready)
Cat5&Coax near every tv, all cables lead to equipment closet

My Channel Needs
1) Big Network Prime Time Shows (Solved)
- 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, Community, Family Guy, HIMYM, House, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation

2) FX (partially Solved, still need help)
- Some of my favorite shows are on FX such as Louie, The League and Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia
...they post shows on their website but not in any type of order

3) Syndicated/Reruns/random surfing (Solved)
- When people gather we watch alot of Friends, Fresh Prince or Seinfeld Reruns
....this isnt an issue because I have the box sets of all of these. I have ripped them all onto my NAS System connected to my home network

4) News (Need Help)
- Most of my news watching is stock market related news during the daytime and a little local news before bed

5) Sports/Sports/Sports (partially Solved, still need help)
- This is where the biggest problem arises, I watch alot of basketball and I dont mind getting NBA League Pass (~$150/yr) but from what I have read there are lots of blackouts (all local games and nationally televised games(ABC/TNT/ESPN)). Is there any way I could get the international version in the US? From what I have read the international version is all HD and no blackouts.

6) Some kind of DVR feature?
Planned Solution
[*]I will get a Roku for each tv (all Roku 2s ~$400)
-this will solve problem 3) as I will be able to stream from my computer and surf random internet videos[*]I will get Hulu+ (~$100/yr)
-this will solve problem 1) as I will be able to stream all the prime time shows through the Roku[*]I will get NBA League pass and try to mask my IP so I could get my local team games, This will stream through the Roku as well
-this will hopefully solve problem 5)

I actually cut my cable last year. My solution is slightly different, but in general similar to yours.

1. I got an Apple TV 2 - I use it for Netflix, MLB and to rent HD movies and the few TV shows I like.

2. I have an iPad 2 and I am able to stream video from a wide variety of news channels which include local news channels using AirPlay and iPad apps. I stream Hulu+ from my iPad to Apple TV. Apple TV also gives you access to all movies purchased on iTunes.

3. I also have an HTPC which I use as needed.

Honestly, I haven't missed my Cox TV bill. My total annual bill with iTunes TV shows and Hulu + and iPad apps is less than 2 months of cable and I actually prefer the video quality and content much better.
post #50 of 50 Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM

I found this free site what teaches you to get the most from the equipment you already own to cut the cable cablecutterguys.com
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page