Help me decide what I am looking for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guy I hope you can help me decide the service I am looking for.

I currently pay $60/month for dish network. My family rarely watches anything else, we dont use the HD or recording service and all we really do is watch local channels.

Now, we have a theater room which is usually dedicated to watching movies and TV shows/series. My wife also has an iPad / TV she uses to watch some of her foreign TV shows on (via youtube usually).

I currently own Amazon Prime hence I have Amazon Video on Demand.

I want to cut my dish network service and invest in more streaming solutions in my house.

My question is:
- What can I do to get just basic local channels on my TV's? HD or SD does not matter.

- What is the best solution to stream HD sports?

- I own briteview cinematube and a PS3 in my theatre room to play/stream my media...can I use this to watch Amazon Video on Demand via PlayOn?

- What devices should I buy...PlayOn or HTPC?
(I want to have my content playing on atleast 3 devices (My bedroom, living room, and theatre room).)

- What streaming services should I get? I have Amazon VOD...it seems that PlayON gives you a **** load of more services too...and I hear people like VUVU here. If I wanted all 3 would a HTPC be better or playon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Check antennaweb.org to see if you can get your locals over the air. If so just get an antenna, and you'll have all those for free.

There is no either or with PlayOn. Since it runs on a PC, you'll need an HTPC to use it. And it will probably need some serious horsepower to serve 3 devices at once. I personally don't see the point of paying for a DLNA server when so many other servers and devices do the same thing for free.

Sports are going to be a significant expense no matter what. MLB, Sunday Ticket, etc. are all expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

It seems that I am in range for local TV channels - any idea exactly what antenna I will require?

Also I will probably never run all 3 devices at once...maybe one or 2 at a time max.

What alternatives do you suggest I take then since the one you are saying is bad (playon)?

Here is my internet speed test too:

This is the best I can get in my area (ATT) and no other services are offered
post #4 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean PlayOn is bad. It's not. I just think you can do what it does without subscribing to anything. Maybe with the right streaming box or blu-ray player (sony or panasonic possibly). If you really want Amazon on your PS3, then you may have no choice but to get a PC and buy/subscribe to PlayOn.

Antennaweb should give a color code indicating what size antenna you need. If, for example, your less than 40 miles away and the terrain is fairly flat and there are no tall buildings nearby, then rabbit ears will work. If you need something larger, a small outdoor amplified antenna will work. The antenna type also depends on whether you need UHF, VHF or both. You'll have to dig into that and determine what you need.

With that internet speed, I don't think you'll be able to stream Amazon in HD, but you can do SD.

post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Who is your internet provider? Make sure they have access to ESPN3. The locals will get you your national NFL NBA MLB games etc.

Since you have a PS3 you might want to try a free trial of Hulu Plus or netflix to see if they are a good option as well.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by woox View Post

Hi guy I hope you can help me decide the service I am looking for.

I currently pay $60/month for dish network. My family rarely watches anything else, we dont use the HD or recording service and all we really do is watch local channels.

Now, we have a theater room which is usually dedicated to watching movies and TV shows/series. My wife also has an iPad / TV she uses to watch some of her foreign TV shows on (via youtube usually).

I currently own Amazon Prime hence I have Amazon Video on Demand.

I want to cut my dish network service and invest in more streaming solutions in my house.

My question is:
- What can I do to get just basic local channels on my TV's? HD or SD does not matter.

- What is the best solution to stream HD sports?

- I own briteview cinematube and a PS3 in my theatre room to play/stream my media...can I use this to watch Amazon Video on Demand via PlayOn?

- What devices should I buy...PlayOn or HTPC?
(I want to have my content playing on atleast 3 devices (My bedroom, living room, and theatre room).)

- What streaming services should I get? I have Amazon VOD...it seems that PlayON gives you a **** load of more services too...and I hear people like VUVU here. If I wanted all 3 would a HTPC be better or playon?

For local channels, buy an HD outdoor antenna and mount in on your roof. I got an antenna from Costco for $50. The brand name is Antenna's direct. I mounted it on my roof and I pick up 36 channels all in HD quality.

I use my PS3 for streaming HULU+ and Netflix. I use my Panasonic Blu-ray for Amazon instant (which a friend gave me access to his account)

If you are looking for a good streaming device and have the money to spend, purchase 3 Mac Mini's. Just get the basic $599 unit and hardwire them to your network. You can stream all the content from the net how ever you like. I think you can even use your wifes Ipad to control all the Mac Mini's. I could be wrong.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #7 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Try Roku
post #8 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Woox,

For OTA, go to TVFool http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 and type in your address. You will get a much better idea of your signal quality and what type of antenna you will need than from Antennaweb. What you use for a ATSC tuner may also affect how well you receive DTV signals.

After you create your TVfool report, post it (your address will not show) with your city in the AVS HDTV Technical forum to get the best advice you can find anywhere about OTA TV. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=25

Good luck.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood View Post

Woox,

For OTA, go to TVFool http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 and type in your address. You will get a much better idea of your signal quality and what type of antenna you will need than from Antennaweb. What you use for a ATSC tuner may also affect how well you receive DTV signals.

After you create your TVfool report, post it (your address will not show) with your city in the AVS HDTV Technical forum to get the best advice you can find anywhere about OTA TV. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=25

Good luck.

Here are my results:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b8665f53be3c8

Let me get this straight...if I buy a set-top box/antenna i will get all local channels..IN HD for free?
post #10 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
You won't even need a set top box if your TV already has an ATSC tuner built in (just about every HDTV built in the last several years does.)

Yes, they will be free and in HD.

It looks like you get all four networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) pretty strongly, along with a couple of local channels and Univision. Those can probably be picked up with any decent indoor antenna. PBS, CW, MyNetworkTV, and ION might need an attic or roof mount. As Taperwood said, check with the HDTV technical forum for the gurus of OTA.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #11 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

You won't even need a set top box if your TV already has an ATSC tuner built in (just about every HDTV built in the last several years does.)

Yes, they will be free and in HD.

It looks like you get all four networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) pretty strongly, along with a couple of local channels and Univision. Those can probably be picked up with any decent indoor antenna. PBS, CW, MyNetworkTV, and ION might need an attic or roof mount. As Taperwood said, check with the HDTV technical forum for the gurus of OTA.

Any recommendation on what I can buy? I am not looking for anything fancy
post #12 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For the near stations? I think any decent TV antenna from Rat Shack should do.

I'd check the HDTV Tech forum here, though, especially if you want a roof mount or better.

post #13 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

woox,

I hope you asked your question in the AVS Technical forum. You will get excellent advice there. From your TVfool report, you will need a VHF/UHF antenna. TVfool does not account for trees or buildings, so you have to consider that. Trees are especially bad for UHF. The good news is that your lowest station is ABC (8), so one of the newer 7-54 VHF/UHF designs would work for you, or you could go with two separate antennas for VHF and UHF for about the same cost. The technical forum can also help you assess whether you will need a pre-amp since you are distributing to three TVs.

You have enough signal to watch free TV for as long as it's available; you just need the right design set up based on what equipment you have what stations you need to get.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Where is the technical forum? all I see is a hdtv technical forum
post #15 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That is the forum we're talking about.

You could also go through the Local HDTV Info and Reception forum and see if there is a thread about your area. That would give you info from dudes who are already receiving OTA and can give you the skinny on what equipment is most effective.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page