AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Americans now watch more online movies than DVDs

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/22/tech...source=cnn_bin

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I definitely do. I would guess 90% streaming. Especially with my new Pan. 220 player streaming Netflix in 1080p. The image is just beautiful!!
post #3 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Rentals, I try to stream as much as I can, unless Redbox has the BD.

For stuff I buy, discs only.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I definitely do. I would guess 90% streaming. Especially with my new Pan. 220 player streaming Netflix in 1080p. The image is just beautiful!!

I don't know what you're watching but I gave up finding anything on Netflix I would describe as "beautiful". I have the 210. I'll stick with Bluray until streaming advances.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I don't know what you're watching but I gave up finding anything on Netflix I would describe as "beautiful". I have the 210. I'll stick with Bluray until streaming advances.

I'm watching Netflix HD movies streamed in 1080p, on my 106" diagonal screen. I don't think your 210 streams in 1080p, does it? I'm not saying EVERY HD movie looks beautiful, but most do. The same way that not all Blu-rays look great.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Liked: 11
Yeah, changing your stream quality to the highest vlaue in your settings on the Netflix site if you have the bandwith yields a pretty good looking image. I've been watching a lot of Battlestar Galactica, Parks and Recreation, and Arrested Development and the image looks about as good as DirecTV HD on my 20Mbps connection.

It's not close to Bluray by any means and the quality varies between different shows but for $8 and no commercials compared to $95 that I was paying for commercial-riddled channels on DirecTV and only 1 HD DVR compared to the 5 pieces of hardware I have in different rooms that can access Netflix I think I'll be sticking with the service once my trial ends.

Being able to find shows I never got into for some reason and marathon a whole season instead of setting the DVR and hoping they rerun it any time soon is mighty convenient. I don't use the service for too much movie watching since I prefer to watch Blurays but for some smaller films or foreign films I wouldn't be able to get easily it supplements my Bluray viewing.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I'm watching Netflix HD movies streamed in 1080p, on my 106" diagonal screen. I don't think your 210 streams in 1080p, does it? I'm not saying EVERY HD movie looks beautiful, but most do. The same way that not all Blu-rays look great.

Ya my 210 does 1080p on my 73" Mits with a 30 mbps connection. I'll admit I haven't tried many titles but from what I've tried I was pretty disappointed. The same title looked better in MKV with my WDTV.

I'm just not a big fan of streaming at this stage, I prefer to watch everything in the highest quality available. I'm not thrilled with the content on Netflix either, it's not for me.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 AM

I hardly ever stream movies. I rather buy one or two physical Blu-rays a month rather than pay for Netflix any other streaming service. I prefer physical movies though, and have a hard time finding worthy shows/movies to watch on Netflix.

When I had Netflix I had no trouble streaming "1080p" content. While it looked pretty good for a stream, it wasn't beautiful in my eyes. Sufficient, but not worth it to me.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I use both a 110" PJ screen as well as a 65" TV .. given the right title, NF streams look pretty good .. BD PQ no, but certainly acceptable PG on a larger size display .. better than DVD, IMO ..

The BD is likely the last of the physical formats ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The BD is likely the last of the physical formats ..

Yeah, and this is a bit saddening to me. I like to be able to look at my media shelf and decide what to watch. I enjoy casing the aisles to find a new movie.

While I enjoy scrolling through my library on XBMC, it isn't quite the same for me. When I used Netflix I would spend nearly 30 minutes scrolling through titles until I either found something that would be sufficient enough to watch, or gave up and just watched Workaholics reruns.

I do like Netflix streaming for TV shows, as I like the "marathon" aspect. But the picture quality, while better than DVD and sufficient as HD content, wasn't anything to talk about.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofBlasting View Post

Yeah, and this is a bit saddening to me. I like to be able to look at my media shelf and decide what to watch. I enjoy casing the aisles to find a new movie.

I don't think BD is going away .. I just don't think a new format will be developed for mainstream use .. you'll still have YEARS to buy new media for your shelf and browse ..

Uncle Willie

post #12 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This news doesn't surprise me, most Americans prefer digital content. Last year ebooks and digital music outsold physical books and CD's in the US. I've been watching more online videos since I got my first Roku three years ago, I still rent and buy discs but my viewing habits are 3:1 in favor of online movies. I also think BD will be the last disc format and will be around for decades, CD's are 30 years old but they are still around.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Yeah, anyone who wants reference quality is going to buy the Blu-ray, just like anyone wanting audiophile quality is going to get the redbook CD. Which would be really nice for those of use who want to own physical media for our collections. But for renting or causal viewing, streaming is a boon.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #14 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yeah, I think BD will be around for a long long time, but the focus has shifted to digital distribution already.

But fear not...BD's will be around. I'm would guess there will eventually be a 4k format as well, but I doubt it will be mainstream but it will be there to fill a niche. Then we can have endless discussions from the 4K crowd about how crappy BD looks and it makes their eyes bleed on their 106" screens
post #15 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Yeah, I think BD will be around for a long long time, but the focus has shifted to digital distribution already.

But fear not...BD's will be around. I'm would guess there will eventually be a 4k format as well, but I doubt it will be mainstream but it will be there to fill a niche. Then we can have endless discussions from the 4K crowd about how crappy BD looks and it makes their eyes bleed on their 106" screens

Yep .. 4K I just don't know .. there really has to be a compelling reason and the market would be so small IMO thus making the cost way high to make and buy ..

Maybe we'll see upconverting BD players ..

Uncle Willie

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page