What can give me HBO GO in 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all, I have a quick question. I have HBO with Comcast. I am really wanting to have HBO go. I have HBO go on my iPhone, but I would like it in the house on the television. My question is what device can I get to have HBO go in my home theater. I was reading at Roku that Roku
will not do it with Comcast.
Any other possibilities?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just announced is Xbox
post #3 of 28 Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Just announced is Xbox

Thanks Jamieva. I was kind of hoping for something smaller, ie roku or apple tv type.
Or even a new Blu Ray Player. My Lg streams netflix, Vudu, but No hbo Go..

Does any Blu Ray Player now have HBO go? Maybe I should post this on the Blu Ray player forum..
post #4 of 28 Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Thanks Jamieva. I was kind of hoping for something smaller, ie roku or apple tv type.
Or even a new Blu Ray Player. My Lg streams netflix, Vudu, but No hbo Go..

Does any Blu Ray Player now have HBO go? Maybe I should post this on the Blu Ray player forum..

No Blu-ray players yet. Right now, the list is:
Xbox
Select Samsung Smart TVs
Roku.

Only the Samsung Smart TVs can receive surround sound from HBO GO. You can put your receiver in Dolby PL II mode for the other devices and still get decent sound. Dolby Digital Plus is supposed to come to the Roku and Xbox later on.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Liked: 13
Is Xbox 5.1?
post #6 of 28 Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Hello all, I have a quick question. I have HBO with Comcast. I am really wanting to have HBO go. I have HBO go on my iPhone, but I would like it in the house on the television. My question is what device can I get to have HBO go in my home theater. I was reading at Roku that Roku
will not do it with Comcast.
Any other possibilities?

Thx

If your with Comcast the only thing that will give you 5.1 is your cable box. Comcast only allows HBOGO with pc's and mobile devices.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

If your with Comcast the only thing that will give you 5.1 is your cable box. Comcast only allows HBOGO with pc's and mobile devices.

Thx Mhufnagel
post #8 of 28 Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 AM

I am on Verizon FiOS and tried out the HBO GO app on the Xbox 360. I watched "Sucker Punch." While the AVR reported receiving Dolby Digital, the LFE channel was clearly missing. I switched to my Mot 7100-P2 set top box and queued up the movie through VOD and the LFE channel was there. Exact same system and everything, just switching inputs to compare the two. Anyone else have a similar experience? Could it be just the movie was poorly encoded, or is this standard for HBO GO?
post #9 of 28 Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachurch View Post

I am on Verizon FiOS and tried out the HBO GO app on the Xbox 360. I watched "Sucker Punch." While the AVR reported receiving Dolby Digital, the LFE channel was clearly missing. I switched to my Mot 7100-P2 set top box and queued up the movie through VOD and the LFE channel was there. Exact same system and everything, just switching inputs to compare the two. Anyone else have a similar experience? Could it be just the movie was poorly encoded, or is this standard for HBO GO?

I am experiencing the same issue with HBO GO and DD (on the xbox 360) I emailed HBO GO support, no response yet. If you get any updates or fixes please let me know.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 502
The Xbox is always going to output Dolby 5.1 if you have it set to output that, whether the source is DD 5.1 or not. (The Settings->System->Console Settings->Audio->Digital Output settings are "Digital Stereo", "Dolby Digital 5.1" and "Dolby Digital with WMA Pro"--I assume that the final setting is for the tiny number of AVRs which can decode WMA Pro, MS' digital surround sound encoding).

HBO Go announced that DD+ 5.1 was coming at CES in January, but I don't think it's available yet.

EDIT: It looks as though DD+ may already be available, but only on some Samsung televisions. AVS Forum member Ranger One (Gabe Gagliano) wrote the following in this 28 February article in his TechoftheHub.com blog:
Quote:
...the Xbox client will support HD (720p) and stereo sound. Dolby Digtial Plus for surround sound will be added in a later release. For the time being, select Samsung Smart TVs are the only way to get Dolby Digital Plus with HBO GO.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #11 of 28 Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The Xbox is always going to output Dolby 5.1 if you have it set to output that, whether the source is DD 5.1 or not. (The Settings->System->Console Settings->Audio->Digital Output settings are "Digital Stereo", "Dolby Digital 5.1" and "Dolby Digital with WMA Pro"--I assume that the final setting is for the tiny number of AVRs which can decode WMA Pro, MS' digital surround sound encoding).

HBO Go announced that DD+ 5.1 was coming at CES in January, but I don't think it's available yet.

You are exactly right. The app does not support surround yet. I tt xbox support a bit ago.
post #12 of 28 Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any update on this? I thought my setup was jacked last night when all I could get out of HBOGo was stereo, didn't realize it only had stereo on Xbox at this time...

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #13 of 28 Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Any update on this? I thought my setup was jacked last night when all I could get out of HBOGo was stereo, didn't realize it only had stereo on Xbox at this time...

No update. It took quite a while for Netflix to get the update so there is no telling when it would happen. I emailed HBOGo team when I posted this (original post) and they never replied. That may be a telling answer b/c HBO is the owner of the app.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Any update on getting dolby digital 5.1 on Xbox 360 for HBO Go?
post #15 of 28 Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Any update on getting dolby digital 5.1 on Xbox 360 for HBO Go?

I would like to know this as well. Googling this doesn't result in many hits other than this thread. My Netflix outputs in 5.1 on Xbox, but not HBO GO. Receiver shows it is, but only 2 of the 7.1 channels output sound (L/R).
post #16 of 28 Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM

I'm curious if HBO is (or will be) sending 5.1 DD over the web.

I've been downright tickled with how good it looks when output over HDMI from my MacBook Pro onto my HDTV. I never believed that streaming would produce such high quality video!

However, despite sending optical audio from the MacBook to my receiver, my receiver reports stereo, not 5.1 DD.

Does anyone know if there's any configuration with a web-based HBO GO app that delivers 5.1?
post #17 of 28 Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not aware of any streaming web players with 5.1 sound. Seems to me that someone could write a browser plug-in to support it but AFAIK no one has. Some Dolby Pro Logic matrix surround sound elements may survive in Netflix's audio but on the PC they use an especially low bit rate version of the sound, for unknown reasons.

post #18 of 28 Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldxyz View Post

I'm curious if HBO is (or will be) sending 5.1 DD over the web.
I've been downright tickled with how good it looks when output over HDMI from my MacBook Pro onto my HDTV. I never believed that streaming would produce such high quality video!
However, despite sending optical audio from the MacBook to my receiver, my receiver reports stereo, not 5.1 DD.
Does anyone know if there's any configuration with a web-based HBO GO app that delivers 5.1?

If you receiver supports it, trying putting it in Dolby PL II mode. It may be able to pull out other channels if they are matrixed in (as michael refers to). The sound quality isn't as good as regular Dolby Digital but it will sound a little more immersive.
post #19 of 28 Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm not aware of any streaming web players with 5.1 sound. Seems to me that someone could write a browser plug-in to support it but AFAIK no one has. Some Dolby Pro Logic matrix surround sound elements may survive in Netflix's audio but on the PC they use an especially low bit rate version of the sound, for unknown reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post

If you receiver supports it, trying putting it in Dolby PL II mode. It may be able to pull out other channels if they are matrixed in (as michael refers to). The sound quality isn't as good as regular Dolby Digital but it will sound a little more immersive.

Thank you both. I was seeking to understand if I was setting it up incorrectly, or if it simply was not possible. Seems the latter!

Yes, my receiver has some advanced surround modes, such as Dolby Pro Logic II, that I use for non-DD content, and yes, it is better than stereo, but not as good as 5.1 DD.
post #20 of 28 Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM

The hilarious part about this that no one has mentioned is that Samsung TVs will not output 5.1 sound when watching video through an app. So, the HBOGO app being able to provide 5.1 audio to the TV is pointless.

AND, the Xbox program seems to still not support 5.1 audio, so, in the end, I have no way of using HBO GO with 5.1 audio!

So, 2 of the 3 devices that HBO GO supports can't take advantage of the 5.1 audio! What a joke.
post #21 of 28 Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnredbeard View Post

The hilarious part about this that no one has mentioned is that Samsung TVs will not output 5.1 sound when watching video through an app. So, the HBOGO app being able to provide 5.1 audio to the TV is pointless.
AND, the Xbox program seems to still not support 5.1 audio, so, in the end, I have no way of using HBO GO with 5.1 audio!
So, 2 of the 3 devices that HBO GO supports can't take advantage of the 5.1 audio! What a joke.
There doesn't appear to be digital 5.1 sound available on HBO Go on any device yet, though they announced their plan to add it back in January.

post #22 of 28 Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 PM

Correction: I just tested again, and the HBOGO app on my Samsung TV will in fact receive 5.1 audio (the individual movies/episodes are labeled with "HD 5.1") and pass it out the optical output to my home theater system. This contradicts what the manual says, which is that the tv till only pass 5.1 audio out of the optical output when viewing the coaxial input. Go figure.

HOORAY!
post #23 of 28 Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnredbeard View Post

Correction: I just tested again, and the HBOGO app on my Samsung TV will in fact receive 5.1 audio (the individual movies/episodes are labeled with "HD 5.1") and pass it out the optical output to my home theater system. This contradicts what the manual says, which is that the tv till only pass 5.1 audio out of the optical output when viewing the coaxial input. Go figure.
HOORAY!
So, rather than it being something that can't play 5.1 sound from HBO Go, the 2011/2012 Samsung TVs are actually the only devices which can play 5.1 sound from HBO Go--no sign of the capability in the Roku player or the Xbox (i.e., nothing marked as having 5.1 sound as far as I can see).

¡Felicitaciones!

post #24 of 28 Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

So, rather than it being something that can't play 5.1 sound from HBO Go, the 2011/2012 Samsung TVs are actually the only devices which can play 5.1 sound from HBO Go--no sign of the capability in the Roku player or the Xbox (i.e., nothing marked as having 5.1 sound as far as I can see).
¡Felicitaciones!

HBO has updated Roku with 5.1 sound.
post #25 of 28 Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodtick View Post

HBO has updated Roku with 5.1 sound.
Yeah, I found that out a few days ago on the Roku forums. I didn't think of this thread. I checked and its still not on the Xbox.

post #26 of 28 Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM

Liked: 11
It will be with Xbox, but not now, so just get a Roku.
post #27 of 28 Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM

HBO Go now supports DD+ on Xbox. Enjoy.
post #28 of 28 Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got 5.1 through Airplay from an iPad to an Apple TV