Confused About What Is Really Available On N*tflix. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Look at this link: https://signup.netflix.com/Search?v1=Seinfeld

It makes it look like the show Seinfeld is available to watch. But when you try to search for it on your disk player, it's not there. This is happening on a number of other shows like Cops. So what's the deal? Are they lying about what shows they have to get you to sign up?

JohnnyGalaga. Setting the standard in galactic excellence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Those are available on disc, but not streaming. So Netflix does have them. You just have to get the right plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Which plan (streaming only or streaming + disc) did you sign up for?
Due to continuous whining by a very loud contingent of streaming only subscribers, Netflix has changed their website...Previously, subscribers could see a blurb on all titles indicating whether it was offered on both dvd and Instant. But the whiners didn't like that dvd results showed up when they only had streaming. So now, if you're streaming only, you only see streaming titles when performing a search.
You can go to this site http://www.tvandmoviesnow.com/ to search for titles that are available on Instant Watch. Also, http://instantwatcher.com/ lists the entire catalog Netflix has licensed to stream.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 10 Old 04-14-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

So let's say you have no N*tflix account, but you're just on their web page looking for shows they have. How can you tell from the search results which ones are available on streaming versus DVD only?

post #5 of 10 Old 04-14-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Firstly, it's okay to type Netflix. Secondly, for non subscribers, you can no longer get that format specification any longer. DVD/Blu Ray, and streaming title availability were marked as such. As I mentioned earlier, this change was made recently (within the last few weeks). Checking the website before posting this-and using a browser where Netflix cookies are not enabled, I see that after a search for a title, if you click on the title link in the results, it takes you to a page where dvd/BR availability is posted. But again, it won't tell you that it's also streaming.
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Superna...l&trkid=222336 Supernatural is on both disc and Instant.

BTW, the dvd site is www.dvd.netflix.com, to get at least that bit of info-typing just netflix.com takes you to a version of the site that won't even tell you a title is on dvd.

And again,you can go to the 3rd party sites I posted links to in my earlier reply, to explore what titles they've managed to license for streaming. For Netflix dvd searches try http://www.whichflicks.com/, you have to search title by title, which will get tedious...no simple listing of DVD titles only anywhere that I know of.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks. It's a shame many good shows aren't available on streaming.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGalaga View Post

So let's say you have no N*tflix account, but you're just on their web page looking for shows they have. How can you tell from the search results which ones are available on streaming versus DVD only?

Look here: http://instantwatcher.com/

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You get 30 days free when you sign up. If you don't like it you quit.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-22-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm signed up to the streaming service, but there are a couple of titles I want to see that are only available via DVD right now.

Before I click the link to add DVDs for an extra $7.99 a month, does anyone know if there is a month trial involved in that as well or have I used up my month already through the streaming service? Bascially, can I get another free month for the DVDs alone?

post #10 of 10 Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Nope, you've used up your trial. Adding a service to an account doesn't give you another free trial. It's considered the same account, so it's adding services, just like if you went from one DVD to three, and so on. The new charges apply right away.

Now had Netflix gone ahead with their divesting the DVD service into the ill-fated Qwikster project, that might have been possible at some point.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page