Enough about no new content on Netflix - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i had netflix for about 2 months. when i decided to get rid of it i had noticed that it said they had added at least one new movie that i liked and they also had monsterquest at that time too. i recently got netflix back because its cheaper than paying for dish but noticed that the movie it said it had added before i left is not on there and monsterquest is no longer on there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You can check their content before becoming a subscriber.
post #63 of 75 Old 12-22-2012, 09:43 PM

Liked: 13
I have some noobie trial streaming offer questions about Netflix search results that state:

"The Sound Of Music" is available on DVD only

Does that mean it's currently not availble for streaming, but might be later?, or might have already been available for streaming, and now isn't, or NEVER will be available for now ?

I've already opted for the 1 month trial, but I'm already leaning to maybe go with the DVD only option.

Crackle has It Might Get Loud available for streaming, but Netflix says it's available only on DVD.
Has it already been available for streaming? Do the availibilty for streaming rights hop around the services??

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #64 of 75 Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Yes that ticks me off now that when you search on their website they show you DVD only crap that you can't stream anymore. I don't care one bit about something that I have to pay $7 more a month so they can snail mail me a scratched up DVD when something like "The Sound of Music" they should be streaming. Also I have noticed content that they use to stream now DVD only. I want Netflix to stream more classic TV shows. I don't care about these stupid shows from today they keep adding.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #65 of 75 Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

Do the availibilty for streaming rights hop around the services??

Titles on SVOD services are in a constant state of flux because license periods expire, license do not get renewed, etc. Each streaming provider must obtain a license for each title they stream. Some titles are exclusive if the provider antes up the cash. Do not look for titles that has good potential for sale (EST, DVD, Blu-ray, EST, PPV, etc.) to show up on any SVOD service.
post #66 of 75 Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

I have some noobie trial streaming offer questions about Netflix search results that state:

"The Sound Of Music" is available on DVD only

Does that mean it's currently not availble for streaming, but might be later?, or might have already been available for streaming, and now isn't, or NEVER will be available for now ?

I've already opted for the 1 month trial, but I'm already leaning to maybe go with the DVD only option.

Crackle has It Might Get Loud available for streaming, but Netflix says it's available only on DVD.
Has it already been available for streaming? Do the availibilty for streaming rights hop around the services??

It's important to keep in mind that the studios refuse to sell streaming rights to everything that they release on disc. Owning the discs for rental does not mean they can stream whatever they want. All streaming titles must be purchased in separate deals. Physical media will trump any streaming service when it comes to breath and depth of content until the studios decide to open their catalogs up as they do for cable based services.

There is no way to determine if a title that Netflix has a rental dvd of, might be sold to them later for streaming. Instant Watch is basically a pay tv service just like HBO, SHO, Cinemax and Starz-the only obvious difference is that they do not program a schedule. Everything else is the same. They license content to stream (air), that content is added, run (made available) for several months, put on hiatus for a while, then brought back. New stuff gets added, and put into rotation.

Use this website http://www.instantwatcher.com to see what's currently available in the streaming inventory, track expiring titles and upcoming additions.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #67 of 75 Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I've run across a few titles that Netflix had available for streaming but not for rental on disc biggrin.gif.

I personally like TVandMoviesNow.com. It doesn't feature titles coming soon, but it has many filters (including 5.1 surround) and results can be sorted by expiration date. It can also search Amazon Instant Video and will show you when a title matched at Netflix is available at Amazon and vice-versa, handy for those of us who have both services.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #68 of 75 Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Have they given up on releasing newer movies?

For a little while there over the Spring and Summer, they started to put out quite a few newer releases, but since then I've yet to see anything.
post #69 of 75 Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65

^What newer movies-that have not already been locked up under exclusive deals with other pay tv services, would you like to see them get?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #70 of 75 Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Have they given up on releasing newer movies?
For a little while there over the Spring and Summer, they started to put out quite a few newer releases, but since then I've yet to see anything.

I assume that you mean major theatrical releases from the past year. Those are never likely to come in large quantities on a service like this, but in the past couple of month's there've been The Artist, Hugo, Haywire, Young Adult, The King's Speech, Lockout and Tintin. There may have been others that aren't available in HD--I don't pay attention to those.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #71 of 75 Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
It just felt like we were getting bombarded almost on a weekly basis just half a year ago with big movies that were in the theaters a year earlier.

Here's just a small example.
Killer Elite - 5/09
Drive - 5/16
Thor - 6/09
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 6/30
Immortals - 7/04
Captain America - 7/28
Warrior - 8/04
Super 8 - 8/18
post #72 of 75 Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I wouldn't be surprised to that Hollywood holds back some releases just to get people to attend theaters to see their Oscar nominee movies they pummel us with around this time of the year.
post #73 of 75 Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to that Hollywood holds back some releases just to get people to attend theaters to see their Oscar nominee movies they pummel us with around this time of the year.

They could hold back all they want. They won't get me to the theater.
post #74 of 75 Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

There is no way to determine if a title that Netflix has a rental dvd of, might be sold to them later for streaming. Instant Watch is basically a pay tv service just like HBO, SHO, Cinemax and Starz-the only obvious difference is that they do not program a schedule. Everything else is the same. They license content to stream (air), that content is added, run (made available) for several months, put on hiatus for a while, then brought back. New stuff gets added, and put into rotation.

Use this website http://www.instantwatcher.com to see what's currently available in the streaming inventory, track expiring titles and upcoming additions.

Thanks, that website http://www.instantwatcher.com is very useful, especially to catch something that is about to expire.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #75 of 75 Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Some movies on Showtime are also on Netflix.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page