Newest additions to Amazon Prime - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-11-2012, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon just added some new titles to their Prime lineup, and while there's nothing brand new, there's still some pretty good movies that Netflix doesn't offer. There's The Truman Show, Mission Impossible 3, Shooter, and Forrest Gump to name a few. They've been added enough lately to make me consider canceling my Netflix since I'm already subscribed to Prime just for the free shipping. The only thing holding me back is their terrible PS3 app (they need a queue!!). They really need to improve on that before I'll completely switch over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 AM

What studios are with amazon prime? Amazon Prime needs to support more devices in addition to having a queue.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 View Post

What studios are with amazon prime? Amazon Prime needs to support more devices in addition to having a queue.

It has nothing to do with studios as much as it has to do with competition. For example, you can forget about any Apple products having access to Amazon Prime since it directly competes with the iTunes Store. I own the WDTV Live streamer which curiously doesn't provide access to Amazon Prime (yet) and have held onto my Roku XD because it does. How streaming device manufacturers line up with certain online merchant/providers is a big question mark.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 12 Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amazon is free to make an app, just like Netflix, Vudu, etc. have done. They obviously have chosen not to.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
More than anything I just wish they had better prime content. Currently the selection is worse than yard sale DVDs....
post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon_Joey View Post

More than anything I just wish they had better prime content. Currently the selection is worse than yard sale DVDs....

When's the last time you got a free DVD at a yard sale?

This is assuming you pay for Amazon Prime for the 2 day shipping.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Mean Girls is on it...one of my favorite movies!
post #8 of 12 Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdross80 View Post

The only thing holding me back is their terrible PS3 app (they need a queue!!).

Huh? The PS3 Amazon apps is a thing of great beauty. It's one of the finest UI designs I have ever experienced. Visually gorgeous and beautifully laid out, it makes all other Amazon players look like crap by comparison. If my ancient launch-model 60GB PS3 wasn't a noisy power hog, I'd be using it. (The Roku 2 XS, which I do use for Amazon, is completely silent in operation and draws literally 1% as much power).

Amazon does not support a queue, which is something which has been requested of them for years--it's not the app's fault. Something that it does do which mitigates that to a certain degree is keep a list of recently watched titles. If you find something you're interested in just start it running for a few seconds and it will put it on that list. It's a bit of a PITA, but its better than nothing (and all other Amazon players have nothing).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #9 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM

The great cult classic Ginger Snaps is on Prime. A very skillful combination of coming-of-age story and horror.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Huh? The PS3 Amazon apps is a thing of great beauty. It's one of the finest UI designs I have ever experienced. Visually gorgeous and beautifully laid out, it makes all other Amazon players look like crap by comparison. If my ancient launch-model 60GB PS3 wasn't a noisy power hog, I'd be using it. (The Roku 2 XS, which I do use for Amazon, is completely silent in operation and draws literally 1% as much power).

Amazon does not support a queue, which is something which has been requested of them for years--it's not the app's fault. Something that it does do which mitigates that to a certain degree is keep a list of recently watched titles. If you find something you're interested in just start it running for a few seconds and it will put it on that list. It's a bit of a PITA, but its better than nothing (and all other Amazon players have nothing).

I've only used the PS3 app, so I can't compare it to other boxes, but I'll take your word for it. But, that still doesn't make it a great app. I'm judging it based on Netflix's app, which I think is wonderfully designed, no matter which box I've played it on (which is the Xbox, PS3, and Wii).

Things I like about the Netflix app that isn't on the Amazon app:

1. Many categories to browse
2. Recently Watched tab/category
3. Merging of all TV seasons into one link
4. The aforementioned queue.

I know that's a short list, but it makes all the difference in the world. This makes it very kid friendly, and that's what's important to me, as my kids are the main people in my home that use it. You may not think the queue is the fault of the app, since you say Amazon doesn't offer it in general, but I don't think of it that way. Amazon can put in a queue whether or not they it's on their website. It wouldn't be hard.

One other big negative is them mixing up their Prime material along with their pay material. When testing the app out I browsed to a season of one of the kid's shows that showed it being on Prime, but when I went to a later season, I had to pay for it. Now I didn't click through on the material, but if I did, would it automatically purchase it, or would it ask for a password? If it would purchase it, this would be disastrous, since my kids would be clicking on many episodes to watch.

If they can work out these issues I would be more than happy to switch over.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdross80 View Post

Now I didn't click through on the material, but if I did, would it automatically purchase it, or would it ask for a password? If it would purchase it, this would be disastrous, since my kids would be clicking on many episodes to watch.

If you are making a purchase via the PS3 (or any streamer) Amazon will ask for the PIN number you have for your account...assuming you have created one. No PIN - no purchase.

Your other points are well taken. Amazon can do much to improve their interface but have chosen not to do so. Since I subscribe to Prime shipping the free Amazon content is gravy but truthfully I rarely use it since I have both Netflix and Hulu Plus. If you value variety and ease of use I doubt you will dump Netflix for Amazon Prime anytime in the foreseeable future.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well I just noticed they added an Amazon app to Xbox, which has me pretty excited. I use my Xbox much more than my PS3, so this is nice to see. Even bigger is they actually added a queue! I'm going to try delve around it a bit and see if my kids can use it with no problems, and if so I may make the permanent switch to Amazon. I still hope they make the other changes I mentioned earlier, and maybe a few others. Like make it quicker to move to the next episode of a show instead of having to click through 2 screens. But even without those changes, it still seems worthwhile to stop paying the $8/month I'm paying Netflix right now.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page