Stunned how much better WD TV live is than Roku2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WOW! I was not expecting what I got when I got this new device. I don't want to sit here and beat down the Roku2 but the difference in video quality is stunning in my opinion. The colors all seem correct and there is no black level issues. I never expected to see this difference. This is making my Netflix subscription that much more enjoyable. I have been a fan of Roku since I hopped on to this technology but I must say that I would have to recommend my new device hands down over the Roku2 for video quality. Now that being said if you are looking for quantity of content then Roku is king. This device does not have near the content that Roku has but makes up for it in video quality. I also now have You tube, Vudu, and Spotify. Apps Roku does not have. And guess what else. I HAVE NO HANDSHAKE ISSUES. ALL HANDSHAKE ISSUES COMPLETE WHEN SWITCHING INPUTS ON MY REPEATER ( AVR) . This device does have a power button so I am assuming that it does actually turn itself on and off. Maybe this is what is causing the handshake issues on the Roku since the HDMI signal is always present. Well 2 weeks of frustration has finally ended and I am ECSTATIC. Sorry Roku but you have been dethroned in my house. Correct colors and no black level issues. Just WOW. I really never expected it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
sounds like a winner to me.

one quick thing over the years I have picked up some things on roku like drive inn theater and some others are most of these also available on wd and is there a list some where?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

sounds like a winner to me.

one quick thing over the years I have picked up some things on roku like drive inn theater and some others are most of these also available on wd and is there a list some where?

Only list I saw was on WD website. There is not alot but most of the biggies.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just bought a WDTV and am trying it out. I have streaming on 3 Sony devices (a TV and two BD players.) I mainly use Netflix, as I've been a subscriber since 1999. I went with the WDTV as I also have an Onkyo TX-NR609, which it sounds like doesn't like the Roku2.

Barely have it set up, but do have at a questions or two, especially given the lack of any real manual (nothing printed, and the PDF is mostly useless.)

Is there any way, while it's playing something, to get any tech info? Bitrate, resolution, etc...?

I have it set to HDMI (Auto), although it seems to output 1080p60 for everything. I did try a movie that I had started watching (War of the Arrows), and it was DD+5.1. I just wish I know what was the true resolution. When I use Netflix directly on my Sony TV, I can use the 'reduce size' button until the picture doesn't shrink anymore, which means it's 1:1 pixel. Measure and a little math, and you can guess the resolution.

PS: I do like how you can plug a USB keyboard into it. Makes logging into some things much easier, especially when it took a few tries to remember my Netflix password! The Sony's authorize by giving a code you then have to enter on the Netflix website (which is also a bit more secure in my opinion.)

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #5 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Check out the WD forums. There are guys on there probably that can answer your very technical questions. Most of what you ask is beyond my laymans knowledge. Do you like it???
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page