Netflix API losing expiration dates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Really don't understand some of these decisions, but apparently they removed the expiration dates from the API so we can no longer use sites like Feedfliks to view our queues by expiration date. Sucks since I always made sure to watch things before they expired. Now it's just a crapshoot, apparently.

http://feedflix.wordpress.com/2012/0...-netflixs-api/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Looks like more changes are in store for Netflix streaming subs:

Netflix CFO: Multi-Stream Sub Plan Coming This Year
Quote:

Netflix plans to roll out later this year a subscription plan enabling multiple users within a household to stream content on different devices, CFO David Well told an investor group.

Speaking May 16 at the 40th Annual J.P. Morgan Global Technology, Media, Media and Telecom Conference in Boston, Wells said the undefined priced subscription is the result of a growing number of users accessing Netflix from one account at the same time.

The CFO didn't elaborate on the pricing for the multi-stream subscription but said it would focus on delivering content and user-interface based on individual viewing habits.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Be sure to call netflix support and complain about the API change: 866-716-0414
post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 View Post

Be sure to call netflix support and complain about the API change: 866-716-0414

Why? Doesn't sound unreasonable.

Philip
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's more the fact that they inconvenience users who found a nice use for it and couldn't be bothered to at least explain their reasoning to their customers.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of the "faces" of netflix has left the company: Steve Swasey, VP of Corporate Communications for 7 years: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/net...-departs-27245
post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Looks like more changes are in store for Netflix streaming subs:

Netflix CFO: Multi-Stream Sub Plan Coming This Year

Urg, joy - so basically pay more in the future for what I can do now (I watch at the same time as my son on the same account sometimes).
post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Urg, joy - so basically pay more in the future for what I can do now (I watch at the same time as my son on the same account sometimes).

I'd have to look now that they separated discs and streaming, but they always used to have limits defined on simultaneous streams. Before the switch it was a minumum of 2 streams, but if you were on a >2 disc plan, you got that number of streams (so a 3 disc plan+streaming got you 3 simultaneous streams).

I assume it's still similar. I'll have to dig when I have some time (unless someone else wants to).

The thing is, it was just never enforced, but there was a bug that came up for a couple of days in September of 2011 that made people think they had started enforcing it, but it was was blown out of proportion and Netflix fixed ir right away.

Now that streaming is popular and the internet is full of people bragging about paying $8 a month and sharing the account with their friends and neighbors and family and coworkers, it's actually long past due that they enforce the policy.

So just speculating, but I suspect they'll still give you your two simultaneous streams like always, and the enforcement will be meant to curtail the people abusing the system.

Ah, here's the relevant question (decided to take the time, although I'm not sure if has been updated since they switched up the plans, but I assume it's still the same):
https://account.netflix.com/Help?p_faqid=2902
Quote:
Q :
Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?
A :
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Watch Instantly Unlimited plan or the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan. Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.

And from the terms of service (the "click here" link takes you to the question above)
Quote:
YOU MAY INSTANTLY WATCH ON UP TO SIX UNIQUE AUTHORIZED NETFLIX READY DEVICES. YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO INSTANTLY WATCH SIMULTANEOUSLY ON ONLY ONE SUCH DEVICE AT ANY GIVEN TIME. For certain membership plans in the United States, you may instantly watch simultaneously on more than one Netflix ready device within your household. Click here to view the number of devices on which you may simultaneously view movies & TV shows that are associated with your plan. The number of devices and concurrent streams may change without notice to you.

And again, as far as I know, it's never been enforced. As mentioned above, people are abusing the system by having the 6 activated devices being their XBOX, their friend's XBOX, their parents' Blu-ray player, their sister's Wii, etc. And since they've never enforced the simultaneous streaming, 6 households can be streaming at once. That's not what Netflix wants, obviously.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I really don't like the expiration date being gone. I went through my IW queue based on what was expiring first.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page