Netflix Streaming: Different Devices, Different Quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Verizon FIOS that clocked in yesterday at 24 mbps and I stream Netflix through an older Wii player. Quite often while watching Netflix it will stop to buffer the content. Sometimes it just tells me there's a problem with what I selected to watch and advises me to choose something else.

I'm pretty confident the download rate is adequate, but would things improve if I upgraded my streaming device to a newer Blu-Ray unit or an Apple TV device? Netflix tells me the device doesn't matter, but I have my doubts.

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Most definitely. Wii is 480i max. Many newer devices are 1080p (not sure about Apple). The difference will astonish you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much. Sounds like I definitely need to modernize. Aside from resolution, would a newer device allow faster streaming?
post #4 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 12:38 PM

I have an XB360 and googletv. I get way more buffer issues with googletv. It is very annoying. XB360 handles bandwidth fluctuations much better.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Any real world experiences with the latest version of Apple TV?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassWineGuy View Post

Try the Apple TV Owners Thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...278071&page=58

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 13 Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

O.k. I will start slogging though those 58 pages.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Start with this chart if is full of information.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2012-...hart-Final.pdf
post #9 of 13 Old 05-17-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Most definitely. Wii is 480i max. Many newer devices are 1080p (not sure about Apple). The difference will astonish you.

Yes. Apple TV is 1080p for Netflix and as far as I know so is the new iPad. The Apple TV UI for Netflix is also very well implemented. I went from Windows 7 media center to Roku and now Apple TV.

Impressed by a clean installation.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassWineGuy View Post

Yes. I have one. I am very satisfied. So much so I decided to join this forum to learn more.

Impressed by a clean installation.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
apple tv 3. Is great for netflix

Love the UI
post #12 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The best is Roku XS that thing never messes up and the PQ is amazing in 1080p, I use it FIOS....
post #13 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Start with this chart if is full of information.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2012-...hart-Final.pdf

I think this is the best advice you can get for a starting point on which one you should get.

Here is a list of 2011 Blu-Ray players that I have. I don't have one for 2012 yet, and if there is one available, please post:

http://news.cnet.com/lg-smart-tv-on-...0054905-1.html

The smart apps are pretty accurate(not 100%) for up to date info. CinemaNow is available on Sony players now(5/19/12)

It all depends on what you want. They all pretty much look the same as far as picture. But the UI's(User interfaces) on different apps(Netflix/Amazon/YouTube) might be more appealing on one machine, then another. Too numerous to go into.

Some offer CC capabilities, while others don't. This may be a big deal too you, or not.

I personally have the following:

PS3-Offers Netflix(with CC), Amazon(very good UI), HuluPlus(again, very good UI), NFL Sunday Ticket(stands alone for this available option. But at $349/year. OUCH!), MLB.TV(Best UI available on any machine IMHO), NHL GameCenter(Never tried. Has all out of market games available), VUDU(excellent quality, even at 720p). At $249, you get all these apps, plus others, an Internet engine(very clutzy, but still available), a Blu-Ray player, and a Gaming machine. Pretty good for $260(including tax).

Roku-Older version(720pHD max), but still works well. I keep it because mine has a grandfathered in version of YouTube(consumer made), which IMHO is the BEST user version out there. Bar None. Much easier to navigate, and use than any other version out there. Is no longer available too anyone though. Like I said, that is the reason i keep it.

LG ST600-SmartTV box that I picked up on an OB at Best Buy(like $70). Works well, but out of all 4 would be the one I would get rid of if I had too.

Samsung UN46D6000 SmartTV- Again, has a nice interface, with a tone of apps you can add, but would rather use a standalone STB/Blu-Ray instead of the TV. Nice though.

If I were to recommend one, get the PS3. Most functionallity available. PS4 could be right around the corner(maybe a year from now?), but for $249, you really cannot beat all it can do.

Cheaper route, I would say go with a new version of ROKU. But just get the one that has a ethernet port. If you can hardwire ANY of the above, go that route. Much better with regards to reliabililty, with few, or no breakups.

I should add that all of mine are connected from the ethernet cable via a Belkin 1000MBPs Powerline adapter. Works GREAT. My ISP(TWC), "averages" about 7-8MBPs download. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Anyway, never any breakups. Even on 720P VUDU movie downloads(HDX would be too high for me)
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page