Looking for a good media streamer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on the hunt for a media streamer with good video playback and upscaling, not sure if what I want even exists.

Right now I have a couple Apple TVs and and WDTV Live. The Apple TVs work great but are basically only used for Netflix and streaming stuff from my iTunes library. I have my entire DVD library ripped as ISO and obviously the Apple TV won't handle that. I bought the WDTV Live box just for that purpose, to play back the DVD ISO files. It does a decent enough job but is underpowered and is somewhat unstable and sometimes won't find my network drives, stutters when playing files, etc.

So, I"d like to replace that WD box with a better solution if one exists, here are my requirements:

1 - Must be able to play either DVD ISO files or properly handle DVDs stored in the Video_TS folder structure, would prefer ISO but can convert my collection to the other if needed.
2 - Needs to be a stable device
3 - Needs to have a good video scaler or the ability to pass unscaled video over HDMI so that the scaler in my AVR can do the work.
4 - Needs to have a good UI, doesn't have to be on par with the Apple TV but needs to be something my wife can use and navigate.
5 - Needs to have network capability with SMB, the files are on a network drive with SMB.

I don't care about online streaming services like Netflix or Hulu, I've got those covered elsewhere. Basically all I need is a device that will stream my DVD collection from my network drive with the highest fidelity possible.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I've been looking at the Netgear NeoTV 550, seems to be exactly what I need but has mixed reviews.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I've heard good things about the Asus O!Play as well.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Liked: 11
Odd, I've never had any such problems with my WDTV Live. It has always played anything and everything I have ever thrown at it without hiccups. Even streaming from my NAS works flawlessly.

Is your firmware up to date? I had an older WDTV before I got the live and it was having some issues, but after updating it worked fine. When I got my Live the first thing I did was made sure the firmware was up to date (and it wasn't).

Might want to check that before giving up hope on it and spending money on something new.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I use WD TV Live via HK AVR 3600 and everything looks amazingly clean.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post

I bought the WDTV Live box just for that purpose, to play back the DVD ISO files. It does a decent enough job but is underpowered and is somewhat unstable and sometimes won't find my network drives, stutters when playing files, etc.

I would tend to blame your network for these issues until proven other wise. I have both the NeoTV 550 and the new WDTV... DVDs are a breeze for both and outside of HD audio I'd take the WDTV every time. I will say the NeoTV 550 has played HD video and audio flawlessly... 50 or so movies and counting.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

oh,I used it some times,and I want to change it,there is more clear product than WD TV.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I concur with the other posts, I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of the WD player. If you set the video to 1080p and the audio correctly it's a great streamer. I will admit that every so often it won't find one of my computers for network shares, but I just flip to another computer and back and it connects fine. Very minor issue.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

I also use WD TV,and most things looks amazingly clean,but sometimes something looks fuzzy,I don't know the reason,totally to say,it is very good!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page