The Netflix 1080P Litmus Test - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back in the day, the movie "Let The Right One In" was the 1080P litmus test. There was a problem with the 1080P encode where the on screen captions were cut off. The 720P and lower resolutions encodes from Netflix didn't have this problem. So when we saw the cut off captions, we knew the device could handle 1080P streams from Netflix.

But, Netflix fixed the captions in that movie.

So, is there a another piece of content that can let us know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-30-2012, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need the answer to this as well. Just bought a new Samsung player that can do 5.1 DD Plus, and want to know if it can also stream 1080P from Netflix.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think if it does 5.1DD, then it probably does 1080p. Do the players have any ability to show some form of information while playing? Some will sort-of display resolution as High/SD, High/HD, X-High/HD, etc.. X-High/HD is typically 1080p.

I don't know if it's been fixed, but if you want to prove 5.1 is working, try the Robin Williams movie "Toys". FF a bit to regular dialog, and you will hear it coming out of the left-surround. It's like the sound field is rotated to the left.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #4 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

I think if it does 5.1DD, then it probably does 1080p. Do the players have any ability to show some form of information while playing? Some will sort-of display resolution as High/SD, High/HD, X-High/HD, etc.. X-High/HD is typically 1080p.
I don't know if it's been fixed, but if you want to prove 5.1 is working, try the Robin Williams movie "Toys". FF a bit to regular dialog, and you will hear it coming out of the left-surround. It's like the sound field is rotated to the left.

That's what I am thinking as well, but I just want to make absolutely sure.

When I press the info button during disc playback it gives me various info regarding the disc, but unfortunately for streaming, nothing shows up.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Not necessarily. There are lots of players that can do Dolby Digital but can't do 1080P. Some examples include the 2011 Panasonic and LG Blu-ray Players, Apple TV 2nd generation and Xbox 360.

For figuring out Dolby Digital, I look at the on-screen display that my Onkyo receiver provides. It will tell me if Netflix is sending Dolby Digital (or even better Dolby Digital Plus!)

I know the Samsung 2011 and 2012 Smart TVs will do 1080P in Netflix but I haven't gotten any official word on the Blu-ray players.

There's postings on Netflix's support site which will state if it handles 1080P or not. However, sometimes there's errors in them (i.e. the Panasonic 2011 Blu-ray players).
post #6 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post

Not necessarily. There are lots of players that can do Dolby Digital but can't do 1080P. Some examples include the 2011 Panasonic and LG Blu-ray Players, Apple TV 2nd generation and Xbox 360.

I'm not sure why you are saying that 2011 Panasonic Blu-ray players can't do 1080p on Netflix. I own the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 (with latest firmware) and it does 1080p. I'm watching Season of the Witch on Netflix right now in 1080p and DD 5.1+.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I'm not sure why you are saying that 2011 Panasonic Blu-ray players can't do 1080p on Netflix. I own the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 (with latest firmware) and it does 1080p. I'm watching Season of the Witch on Netflix right now in 1080p and DD 5.1+.

When I last used the BDT-210, it would only pull up the 720P encode. I was able to determine this with the "Let the Right One In" test described above. However, I know of one other forum user who says they are still only pulling in 720P on it (I'm sure they will chime in).

How do you know you are getting 1080P? A lot of players will output 1080P but they are upscaling from 720P.

P.S. I want to be wrong about this one and I hope it has been upgraded to do 1080P.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
The 210 only does 720p, the 220 can do 1080p.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I last used the BDT-210, it would only pull up the 720P encode. I was able to determine this with the "Let the Right One In" test described above. However, I know of one other forum user who says they are still only pulling in 720P on it (I'm sure they will chime in).
How do you know you are getting 1080P? A lot of players will output 1080P but they are upscaling from 720P.
P.S. I want to be wrong about this one and I hope it has been upgraded to do 1080P.

Interesting. I recently purchased this player and wasn't aware that the 210 upscaled 720p to 1080p. So from this discussion I come away with the consensus that the 210 takes the 720p content on Netflix, Amazon and HuluPlus and upconverts them to 1080p. The fact that the bitstream also carries Dolby Digital Plus (5.1+) means nothing as far as max resolution. Am I to assume this is not true of VUDU HDX and that it is a pure 1080p/5.1+ stream on this player?

post #10 of 21 Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Vudu on every player in HDX AFAIK is native 1080p output.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton View Post

I need the answer to this as well. Just bought a new Samsung player that can do 5.1 DD Plus, and want to know if it can also stream 1080P from Netflix.

John,

According to Netflix's support site, the D-series Samsung Blu-ray players are limited to 720P in Netflix:
http://support.netflix.com/en/node/502
post #12 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

The 210 only does 720p, the 220 can do 1080p.

Just to confuse the issue I wrote to Panasonic support, here the two responses I got. wink.gif

Subject: RE: And need help with connecting or troubleshooting
Date: July 4, 2012 7:43:49 AM CDT
To: Mr.G

Thank you for contacting Panasonic.

Please note, the resolution for Netflix is 1080p. Please connect the unit directly to 1080p compatible HDTV (High Definition Television). If this unit is connected to an HDTV through other equipment, it must also be 1080p compatible.

On July 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM, "Mr.G" wrote:

I'm sorry the question pertained to Netflix.

What is the highest resolution available from Netflix with the DMP-BDT210
player? I have been told it is only 720p. Is this correct?

Thank you.

Original Message

Thank you for your inquiry, the DMP-BDT210 carries a 1080p,1080i resolution.
We hope this information is helpful. Thank you for contacting Panasonic..

On July 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Mr. G wrote:

My question concerns Netflix and the 210 model. What is the max resolution
the 210 will do - 720p or 1080p. Thanks.

post #13 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Also this.

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/518

post #14 of 21 Old 07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

For figuring out Dolby Digital, I look at the on-screen display that my Onkyo receiver provides. It will tell me if Netflix is sending Dolby Digital (or even better Dolby Digital Plus!)
I know the Samsung 2011 and 2012 Smart TVs will do 1080P in Netflix but I haven't gotten any official word on the Blu-ray players.
There's postings on Netflix's support site which will state if it handles 1080P or not. However, sometimes there's errors in them (i.e. the Panasonic 2011 Blu-ray players).

Well, I own the LG670 and it is definitely doing DD5.1 and I believe it is doing 1080p. It did not at first but there was a firmware update. Info shows as Video: X-High / HD Audio: English / "5.1" (Primary). I suppose it is possible that is is 720 but it looks really good to me, I think it is 1080p. If you all come up with a test I am happy to give it a try on this unit.

EDIT: Netflix also says it is 1080p http://support.netflix.com/en/node/520
post #15 of 21 Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:

John,
According to Netflix's support site, the D-series Samsung Blu-ray players are limited to 720P in Netflix:
http://support.netflix.com/en/node/502

My player is not the D series, its the Costco model BD-EM57C.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-07-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

Well, I own the LG670 and it is definitely doing DD5.1 and I believe it is doing 1080p. It did not at first but there was a firmware update. Info shows as Video: X-High / HD Audio: English / "5.1" (Primary). I suppose it is possible that is is 720 but it looks really good to me, I think it is 1080p. If you all come up with a test I am happy to give it a try on this unit.
EDIT: Netflix also says it is 1080p http://support.netflix.com/en/node/520

Interesting. Last year LG told me there was no plan to update the 2011 LG Blu-ray players to support 1080P in Netflix. Also, I didn't know that the LG's had an info display similar to the Playstation3s.

I don't trust the info on the Netflix support site when it comes to player specifications. At one point they stated the Boxee coud do Dolby Digital 5.1 but then they corrected it.

I agree, I was hoping we could come up with the test to definitively figure it out. I know forum member michaeltscott has done some bandwidth testing in the past to figure out if a player is receiving a 1080P stream. That's one way to do it but it would be nice to have a visual way that didn't require setting up bandwidth measurement software.

It would be nice to know if the 2011 Pannys and LGs got a firmware update that made the change earlier this year.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Interesting. Last year LG told me there was no plan to update the 2011 LG Blu-ray players to support 1080P in Netflix. Also, I didn't know that the LG's had an info display similar to the Playstation3s.
There were a couple reasons I bought this player. One of them was the fact that a 3rd party site documented the fact that they were working on the DD5.1 and HD upgrade; when I contacted LG they verified the software team was implementing the feature. As far as the info display, push the info button. You could also refer to the LG670 thread which documents it, it also documents the firmware update for netflix DD5.1 and HD.

Quote:

I don't trust the info on the Netflix support site when it comes to player specifications. At one point they stated the Boxee coud do Dolby Digital 5.1 but then they corrected it.
Pretend you work for netflix and you are documenting and publishing the features implemented by every netflix capable device. As an engineer I would say, I need one of every device and a x man hours to do so accurately. As the boss I would say no. Where do you think they get their initial information from? The fact that they made the effort to correct information which was not their fault for being wrong should make you trust the DB more, even more so for devices that are not brand new.

Quote:

I agree, I was hoping we could come up with the test to definitively figure it out. I know forum member michaeltscott has done some bandwidth testing in the past to figure out if a player is receiving a 1080P stream. That's one way to do it but it would be nice to have a visual way that didn't require setting up bandwidth measurement software.
As I said, I'm happy to run a test if you all figure one out. I could probably do a bandwith test with etherreal/packet capture tool.
Quote:

It would be nice to know if the 2011 Pannys and LGs got a firmware update that made the change earlier this year.

You have been informed by users of the pannys and the LG. I can speak for the LG that the update is documented by many users in the thread here at AVS. The information is there for you, the fact that you still do not know it I can not help you with any more than I have already.

Finally, notice how when I am 95% certain of a feature I use words like "I believe", "I suppose", "I think"? Your incorrect statements are made in such a way as if they are fact; this is not good. With a tiny amount of research you could have gotten it correct.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Bump in the hopes someone finds another foolproof test.

I see the problem with the "Let the Right One In" subs is actually fixed at this point, as opposed to their previous solution of removing the 1080p encode. I tried searching around for another movie with a similar issue, but it seems most of Netflix's HD foreign movies carry the subtitles inside the active picture.

The only other idea I have is the same one that was shot down before, namely loading up one of the "Example" test patterns and taking a close look at the pixel definition in comparison to my "High" and "X-High" screenshots. Looks like my links for those are screwed up now anyway.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-08-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Doesn't your Onkyo also tell you the incoming (and outgoing) resolution of the video signal? Mine does.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #20 of 21 Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Doesn't your Onkyo also tell you the incoming (and outgoing) resolution of the video signal? Mine does.

The Onkyo does tell me what the incoming resolution is. However, lots of boxes upscale their output to 1080P regardless of the stream they receive from Netflix. It's similar to a Blu-ray player taking a 480P DVD source and outputting a 1080P signal.
post #21 of 21 Old 08-11-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
I see.

I wonder if you can shut that off. My blu-ray player can upscale 480i DVDs (there are no 480p DVDs, nitpick), but I can output a pure 480i stream if I want (obviously blu-rays are always output at 1080p regardless of the output of other media.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page