Blockbuster@Home Free Downloads? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Where can I find a list of the currently available free downloads? I am thinking of changing from Directv to Dish and buying the Blockbuster@Home $10/mo package to replace Netflix streaming. I can't seem to find a list of the available content anywhere. Perhaps someone here can direct me.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I don't know how a non-subscriber can see the list. But I can tell you from first hand experience the streaming selection stinks and is nowhere near being a Netflix replacement. You can count the recent titles on one hand. Everything else is junk. I did a search by rating on my Hopper a while back sorted by rating, and it returned two 4 star movies, and a few 3 stars.

While the streaming content stinks, I still think BB@Home is worth $10 for the extra HD channels (similar to DirecTV's HD Extra pack but bigger) and for the discs by mail. It's especially good if you have a store nearby where you can do exchanges. I could get 2-3 discs per week that way, including the latest BD releases. If you have to rely on mail alone, then it's not very useful since you have to wait several weeks or months for popular titles and even longer for games.

If you do get BB@Home, you'll need to keep Netflix at least long enough to see for yourself. As for Dish itself, as an ex-DirecTV sub I absolutely loved it until they dropped AMC. The HD lineup was fantastic as was the DVR.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Another good thing about BB@Home is that you get access to a huge catalog of Starz, Encore and Epix movies/shows online. Plus with Dish you get next day access to Fox programs online. It's been really nice to watch that Starz stuff since they left Netflix.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

While the streaming content stinks, I still think BB@Home is worth $10 for the extra HD channels (similar to DirecTV's HD Extra pack but bigger) and for the discs by mail. It's especially good if you have a store nearby where you can do exchanges. I could get 2-3 discs per week that way, including the latest BD releases. If you have to rely on mail alone, then it's not very useful since you have to wait several weeks or months for popular titles and even longer for games.
If you do get BB@Home, you'll need to keep Netflix at least long enough to see for yourself.

Yea but the wait after you turn in your store rental takes forever to get shipped. I tried it for the 30 days they gave you and yea the store turn in is nice but after you turn that in is where the mail service is slow. Also there online selection is rather slim and there web service setup for picking movies is weird cause for multiply disc's they don't actually show you which one is the movie and which is the extras assuming that Disk 1 is the the featured film which in most cases it is but if there was also a uncut on a 2nd disk it won't tell you that.

Also bear in mind that they sold off there rental machines which did poorly and it now owned by CoinStar which owns RedBox now. Maybe perhaps if they would have kept BluRays in the machine it might have lasted but for some odd reason they took it out and that didn't help much since there probably way more RedBoxes then BB Express boxes.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Yeah, even with exchanges, the mail side can be slow. My local store was pretty good about turning them around quickly. But at times it took a few days. I had BB@Home for 3 months free, but didn't keep it after that. With all the cheap options out there, I had movie overload. I was under-utilizing all the services I had which was wasting money. I found using Netflix and occasionally Redbox to be the best bang for the buck.

An interesting thing about the Blockbuster Express machines is that they never actually had anything to do with Blockbuster or Dish. NCR simply bought rights to use the name. When Dish bought Blockbuster, they actually sued NCR, saying they couldn't use the Blockbuster name anymore. So NCR selling out to Coinstar/Redbox solved that problem and got rid of a low profit business for them.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Yeah, even with exchanges, the mail side can be slow. My local store was pretty good about turning them around quickly. But at times it took a few days. I had BB@Home for 3 months free, but didn't keep it after that. With all the cheap options out there, I had movie overload. I was under-utilizing all the services I had which was wasting money. I found using Netflix and occasionally Redbox to be the best bang for the buck.
An interesting thing about the Blockbuster Express machines is that they never actually had anything to do with Blockbuster or Dish. NCR simply bought rights to use the name. When Dish bought Blockbuster, they actually sued NCR, saying they couldn't use the Blockbuster name anymore. So NCR selling out to Coinstar/Redbox solved that problem and got rid of a low profit business for them.

Well they were all fast as far as turning them around when you brought it to the store cause once it's scanned, it shows up in there network. It's the part on the mail service that they'll rob you and it seemed that sometimes it took 1 day before they process and then the next day it goes out. Almost like it was done on purpose. Yea I sub to Netfilx 1 Disc/Stream and use the free movie codes you get from Red Box and it's fine for me. My friends sub to Red Box for the codes but usually they won't use em and they just txt me the code so. $.32 for a BluRay is cheap. smile.gif Honestly I don't see how BlockBuster can stand to stay in business even after shutting down so many stores. They were ok when they came out but where I lived there was Hastings and Hastings always had a better selection then BB. If BB took more of a lead with ideas of Online rental and the machines and not just followed others much later they might have done alot better.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page