Does Hulu plus have audio in 5.1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello all!, I was thinking about getting Hulu plus. But I am trying to find out if it has any Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. I've tried searching and I always seem to find is much older posts, saying no.
Is there still no 5.1 audio for Hulu plus?
Many thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hulu+ has a few HD movies,but so far i've personally never seen anything with DD5.1 audio. Maybe someone else has had a diff.experience and will chime in.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's too bad. Thx for the info
Old 07-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Don't know if you know or care, but Netflix has a pretty good number of movies with "Dolby Digital Plus" audio.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

Don't know if you know or care, but Netflix has a pretty good number of movies with "Dolby Digital Plus" audio.

Thanks greaser!
Yes I have Netflix. Was wondering if I should get Hulu for my AppleTV now.
5.1 is kind of important to me.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Thanks greaser!
Yes I have Netflix. Was wondering if I should get Hulu for my AppleTV now.
5.1 is kind of important to me.

If DD5.1 is really important then you may want to skip Hulu. I run the audio thru my AVR and change the audio to Pro Logicllx.That gives me much better sound.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Greaser!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a somewhat related question my ps3 and hulu. Netflix, youtube, dvds, blu rays and games work fine but hulu won't play through the center channel. I noticed on my receiver it says "multichannel pcm hdmi" and none of the DTS or other symbols were lit.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I've yet to see anything than Pro Logic with Hulu+.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337H4X View Post
I have a somewhat related question my ps3 and hulu. Netflix, youtube, dvds, blu rays and games work fine but hulu won't play through the center channel. I noticed on my receiver it says "multichannel pcm hdmi" and none of the DTS or other symbols were lit.
I too have this problem with my PS3 and Hulu. It seems that the audio is encoded in pcm 5.1 with all but the 2 front channels blanked out. So you can't even ProLogic it. The workaround for me is to use either my older Sony BDP-570 or the Chromecast, both of which are less convenient than the PS3, but show true 2.1 and therefore have the ability to use ProLogic.

I don't know if other people have found a solution using the PS3 or not...I also have had a hard time finding other people complaining about the issue.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, PS4, with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM55 for surrounds.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I too have this problem with my PS3 and Hulu. It seems that the audio is encoded in pcm 5.1 with all but the 2 front channels blanked out. So you can't even ProLogic it. The workaround for me is to use either my older Sony BDP-570 or the Chromecast, both of which are less convenient than the PS3, but show true 2.1 and therefore have the ability to use ProLogic.

I don't know if other people have found a solution using the PS3 or not...I also have had a hard time finding other people complaining about the issue.
I have a PS3 slim & Denon AVR-X5200W. For me to get this to work (for Hulu Plus), my receiver needs to be set to receive only PCM input for audio. Next PS3 needs to be set to output LPCM over HDMI. But, with ALL of the LPCM audio codecs checked (under the HDMI->Manual settings in the sound options), I only get audio out of the front L & R speakers. NO post processing can be done either. For me the fix was to uncheck all codecs EXCEPT the 2 channel LPCM ones. Now, I still only get the 2 channels, but Dolby Surround works. And it's not multichannel stereo, its surround. Dialogue coming out of center channel etc. But, "your mileage will vary". This is just how it worked for me. Hope it helps!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm doing the Free trial of Hulu Plus and was sad to see this as well.

Yeah, the receiver's DD symbol appears, but is just fronts, and unable to change to PL II.

But, check it out:

I have my HDMI's going direct to the TV, but the Sony has this annoying deal of passing DTS, but continuously saying "Unsupported Audio" on the screen on Blu-Rays. So I had to set the PS4 to use optical out to the receiver. What is odd, is that I found that even though DD, DTS, etc go through the optical, the PS4 still sends basic PCM through the HDMI! So, I am able to select the receiver input getting this and have PL II, or Neo 6, etc.

On another note: Is there a way to see the video quality, like is possible on NetFlix and Amazon Prime?

Last edited by StormCrow; 03-17-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
I'm doing the Free trial of Hulu Plus and was sad to see this as well.

Yeah, the receiver's DD symbol appears, but is just fronts, and unable to change to PL II.

But, check it out:

I have my HDMI's going direct to the TV, but the Sony has this annoying deal of passing DTS, but continuously saying "Unsupported Audio" on the screen on Blu-Rays. So I had to set the PS4 to use optical out to the receiver. What is odd, is that I found that even though DD, DTS, etc go through the optical, the PS4 still sends basic PCM through the HDMI! So, I am able to select the receiver input getting this and have PL II, or Neo 6, etc.

On another note: Is there a way to see the video quality, like is possible on NetFlix and Amazon Prime?
Was just googling this same issue and found this thread.

I did the same as you, changed to optical out, even though I only use HDMI.
I can now get PLII, Neo6 etc. Previously I only had 2.0 audio.,
Sounds much better now.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Hulu+ has been doing some player updates. A week ago I was pulling my hair out because it was suddenly freezing on the episode playback on my Sony S1200 which seems to be getting the latest apps. What I was noticing was that some of the HD (often 1080p) commercials weren't stalling anymore as they would sometimes do. The progress circle was gone as an episode segment began which was where a rebuffer progress should have appeared but they seem to have done away with those. Looks like another app update yesterday and everything seems fine though as the week progressed there were fewer and fewer freeze ups so some of that might have been on server end.

What I do notice especially on the NBC shows I watch is better PQ. And yes we can hope maybe next some 5.1 audio.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I think Hulu+ has been doing some player updates. A week ago I was pulling my hair out because it was suddenly freezing on the episode playback on my Sony S1200 which seems to be getting the latest apps. What I was noticing was that some of the HD (often 1080p) commercials weren't stalling anymore as they would sometimes do. The progress circle was gone as an episode segment began which was where a rebuffer progress should have appeared but they seem to have done away with those. Looks like another app update yesterday and everything seems fine though as the week progressed there were fewer and fewer freeze ups so some of that might have been on server end.

What I do notice especially on the NBC shows I watch is better PQ. And yes we can hope maybe next some 5.1 audio.
Are you saying the shows are in 720p and the commercials are 1080p?

I watched several TV shows last night (Grimm, Forever, iZombie and Scandal) and the download speeds did not indicate anything other than 720p.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 04-06-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Are you saying the shows are in 720p and the commercials are 1080p?

I watched several TV shows last night (Grimm, Forever, iZombie and Scandal) and the download speeds did not indicate anything other than 720p.
Where are you seeing the download speed?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where are you seeing the download speed?
Sometimes while streaming a show or movie I will get curious as to what the download speeds are. I usually have my iPad handy and using the Safari browser bring up the router software to look at the 10 minute download rate.

Yesterday I revisited the previously watched Grimm to double check the download speeds with my Roku 3.

In spite of some large download peaks (16 Mbps) the 10 minute average is only 3.8 Mbps which indicates to me only 720p.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	huluplus-grimm1.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	652609  

Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Though Hulu doesn't claim to stream anything more than 720p there have been some blog articles that may do some shows at 1080p. Interfaces are different and I'm watching on a Sony S1200 BD player. That interface has a bitrate selection of up to 3.2 Mbps. The shows you mention I would expect to be only 720p. Ever author or encode any videos?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Though Hulu doesn't claim to stream anything more than 720p there have been some blog articles that may do some shows at 1080p. Interfaces are different and I'm watching on a Sony S1200 BD player. That interface has a bitrate selection of up to 3.2 Mbps. The shows you mention I would expect to be only 720p. Ever author or encode any videos?
Just to check I wrote Hulu+ today and got a response.

Quote:
Thanks for writing in! We currently distribute up to 480p video (Standard Definition TV) to our free users, and 720p (HD or High Definition) for our paid Hulu subscribers.

While there are both technical and contractual issues that would need to be worked out before we would be able to offer distribution in 1080p or 4k resolutions, we're constantly looking for ways to improve the viewing experience on Hulu, so I'll be sure to forward your email to our team. We certainly appreciate the feedback.

If there's anything else I can address, please don't hesitate to let me know. Happy viewing!

Thanks,
Brent S.
Hulu Support
Take it for what it's worth.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The same thing they say in their FAQs. But companies often test things. I watched a developer presentation a while back on YouTube by the company that does the Hulu interface and the issues they face. I wouldn't expect 1080p on networks that broadcast 720p though. But there seem to be exceptions when their content gets licensed to Netflix.