Netflix is not copy protected on my Roku XS & XD players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been streaming primarily on my PS3 for years, but recently I decided to get a couple of Roku's because I wanted to free up the PS3 for more gaming. My original XS had a defective AV port. It did not output stereo. At first I thought this was the reason there was no CP. The replacement XS has no protection either. So I checked the XD to be thorough and it did not have it as well. The model# for the defective box was 3100X and it is 3100R for the replacement. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by puregenius View Post

I've been streaming primarily on my PS3 for years, but recently I decided to get a couple of Roku's because I wanted to free up the PS3 for more gaming. My original XS had a defective AV port. It did not output stereo. At first I thought this was the reason there was no CP. The replacement XS has no protection either. So I checked the XD to be thorough and it did not have it as well. The model# for the defective box was 3100X and it is 3100R for the replacement. Has anyone else noticed this?

It didn't take me long to find out that i can record straight to dvd(if i wanted too) using the composite(RWY)output on my Roku 2XS W/O problem, from netflix and every other 'channel' i get with the Roku.
Which output are you using(HDMI/composite)and what device have you recorded to,if any?? I mean,how did you find out about the seeming lack of CP??.My guess has been that there is CP on the HDMI output,but not on the composite output since it's analog and doesn't support HDCP.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am talking about protection on the composite side. I am using a Magnavox MDR515. I use it to record Hulu Plus and avoid the commercials. I found out just messing around one day that Hulu is not analog protected on any device. I tested on PS3, Xbox 360 and Sony BDP-S580 player. Ever since I have tested every new device with composite outputs just to see what happens. I am sure there is protection on the HDMI side of the Roku as well. All the devices I have protect Netflix very well, but not the Roku. I can't make any sense of it.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

So your saying that your XBOX 360 and PS3,receiving their respective audio/video signals thru their HDMI input are applying some form of analog protection to their analog outputs??? I wouldn't be surprised at anything Sony might do to screw up people's viewing/recording enjoyment. eek.gif
BTW, I have 4 DVDR's,one of them being a Mag. MDR515. They're ok recorders for SD recording. I like mine! smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

The protection on the PS3 and Xbox 360 is not associated with the HDMI in any way. They do not have HDMI inputs only outputs. AFAIK it is just the standard Macrovision analog protection.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Please forgive me for being so naive,i didn't know the PS3,and XBOX 360 don't have HDMI inputs, I never owned them .The only streaming media player i ever owned is the Roku 2XS.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

That's alright. Actually it is not any different with the Roku. It does not have an HDMI input either. It has an output. Receivers and a limited number of other devices are the only ones with HDMI inputs.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page