Amazon VOD (Prime) gets HD on XBOX but not Roku and Panny Blu-Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to understand what's the issue here. My XBOX 360 gets the "HD" signal strength indicator all the time (and looks good), however, my ROKU and Panasonic Blu-Ray player hardly ever. They are more or less in the same location. What could be the cause?

I do not prefer using my XBOX because of fan noise and the clunky interface. Ideally my blu-ray player would get the HD connection but hardly ever does. Once it did, but could not sustain it. I have Comcast (30+ mbps burst) and wonder what tricks they may be doing. Perhaps Amazon streams are artificially down throttled (unless via XBOX). Any info is appreciated. (on the blu-ray player) I've tried Wireless G and Wireless N. I may try a wired connection as a test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Using a wired connection to all devices is the only way to level the playing field. Wireless reception is different in each location.

Also, reboot your Comcast modem in case it needs to update firmware. There were some recent updates rolled out by Comcast. Mine has an April 2012 date on the firmware.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wired connection solves the problem. I now get "HD" on my panasonic blu-ray player. Perhaps the Wireless modem in the player is sub par.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 792
It's gotta be pretty frickin' sub-par. HD Amazon Instant Video with 5.1 sound comes in at 2.3 Mbps, or so sayeth Roku's player's debug message. You wouldn't need more than 3.5 Mbps or so to keep ahead of that.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Nothing on the Roku should be an issue for wifi streaming if the wireless N network is setup properly.. Even 9Mb/s from VUDU 3 bar HDX should be no issue for wifi on the Roku2. Mine always connects at a 65Mb/s rate(20Mhz bandwidth) to my APs so it should be good for half that bandwidth of 32.5Mb/s. And of course none of the streaming services come close to 32.5Mb/s. Whether they are connected wirelessly or wired mine are just as fast with the streaming services.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Nothing on the Roku should be an issue for wifi streaming if the wireless N network is setup properly.. Even 9Mb/s from VUDU 3 bar HDX should be no issue for wifi on the Roku2. Mine always connects at a 65Mb/s rate(20Mhz bandwidth) to my APs so it should be good for half that bandwidth of 32.5Mb/s. And of course none of the streaming services come close to 32.5Mb/s. Whether they are connected wirelessly or wired mine are just as fast with the streaming services.

I am using Wireless G. I'm not sure if my ROKU has Wireless N, it is an older model then the current batch. Anyways, more specifically, are there settings in my Netgear router that I should be using to be "setup properly". Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 792
You should probably check out the "Optimize your streaming experience", "Compatible Wireless Routers and Access Points" and "FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player" threads in the Roku Forums.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill