post #1 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have you guys seen this?

http://www.boxee.tv/

$99 for the box and includes Netflix and Vudu (hopefully Hulu and Amazon soon) but the bigger things are an HD antenna for OTA stuff and an input for basic cable (2 tuner)....and for $14.95 a month you get unlimited cloud-based DVR for playback on any device (with limited recording capability if you don't want to pay $14.95/month). From what I've read, they said you can record 24/7 and they'll never limit you.

I'm thinking about picking one up to check it out. Comes out November 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-20-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Have you guys seen this?

Yes, I did take a look at it and it appears like it will be an interesting box. They do not mention if a hard drive can be connected nor do they mention the media player capabilities of this device. If you get one please post a review here and/or in the Recorders section.

For now the Popcorn Hour A-400 seems like the best new device that will meet my needs.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
An external hard drive can not be connected. Not sure about the quality since you will have to upload the video to the cloud. At least for me that would be impossible 6mpbs down 1 mbps up. Don't count on any service that isn't currently available on it. They have already dropped support for the original Boxee Box which is barely 2 years old. It still has a ton of bugs. Who knows if the final firmware they "plan" to release will fix some of those issues. But going by their track record I doubt it.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Have you guys seen this?
http://www.boxee.tv/
$99 for the box and includes Netflix and Vudu (hopefully Hulu and Amazon soon) but the bigger things are an HD antenna for OTA stuff and an input for basic cable (2 tuner)....and for $14.95 a month you get unlimited cloud-based DVR for playback on any device (with limited recording capability if you don't want to pay $14.95/month). From what I've read, they said you can record 24/7 and they'll never limit you.
I'm thinking about picking one up to check it out. Comes out November 1.
Walmart and Boxiee today formally announced their joint promotion where the new Boxiee-TV which will be available at more than 3,000 Walmart stores in the US starting tomorrow, November 1st.

Source: Bloomberg

post #5 of 11 Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 AM

Liked: 11
I have my eye on this for the over the air capabilities for my epson projector since I recently cancelled my cable. It does state 1080 display but I am wondering about the audio and future hulu capability

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

post #6 of 11 Old 11-05-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschantz View Post

...I am wondering about the audio...

What's to wonder about? The site says, "Get ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, Univision - the works for FREE in HD and awesome surround sound." (Emphasis added). You can't beat "awesome surround sound" can you biggrin.gif?

Who knows about Hulu Plus; they say that they've "hand picked" their Internet services without any mention of the possibility of expanding those offerings in the future.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7 of 11 Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 AM

Liked: 12
I just bought one for my Mitsubishi HC4000 projector.

It's a pretty awesome little box. The antenna it comes with extends and works pretty well. The only thing that kinda sucks is my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs and the Boxee TV doesn't have optical out, so I have to run it thru my tv and then to the projector using adapters. I lose Dolby surround that way but it does pass through DTS which is nice. It plays every format I've thrown at it so far including 1080p mkv, mp4, and .ts files. It has a little difficulty with avi files which I don't care much about cause I don't have many of them. It also doesn't fast forward some files properly (I believe they were wmv) but they did play. The TV function is pretty nice and the layout is well done. I feel like the OTA quality may not be 100% as good as when I watch OTA normally but if it's not it's just barely inferior. It also includes 3 free months of Netflix and a free rental from VUDU which saves you about $30. Lastly, the box does get pretty hot so place it somewhere safe if you get one.
RickOrt likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 594
The DVR capabilities are still in beta. My biggest complaint right now with the box is that the recordings are only in stereo PCM. If you watch a channel live it will be in DD 5.1 etc. I've been recordings 12 to 15 hours of shows each day for a week now. It's done a decent job, but right now you can only use the DVR features with OTA, not with unencrypted QAM cable and only in a few selected cities. QAM channels can only be watched live.

Netflix works well with 5.1 DD+(but no higher than 720P), Vudu works well with 7.1 DD+ and Youtube and Pandora works great too. Cloudee works good fro playing your personal videos from the cloud. The BoxeeTV doesn't play ISOs though which is what the bulk of my content is. It did play the MKV, MOV, and TS files I tried on it though, but only from a locally attached USB hard drive. But it is still in beta.
RickOrt likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9 of 11 Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
this seems weird. where are your recordings stored? How much can be recorded on your actual box? Also how is this getting into the cloud? Streaming to an "away" device would use a lot of your upload bandwidth, and considering most people are very limited on the upload side, that is a problem.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

this seems weird. where are your recordings stored? How much can be recorded on your actual box? Also how is this getting into the cloud? Streaming to an "away" device would use a lot of your upload bandwidth, and considering most people are very limited on the upload side, that is a problem.

The DVR component stores all recordings in the cloud. See this:
Quote:
The Boxee TV comes with a no-limit DVR that can recored all your Major Channels to the cloud so you can access your content from anywhere using the Boxee Web App.

The DVR recordings are located under the Recordings tab in the Home Scree, all the DVR scheduling and management is done via the Boxee Web App.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Liked: 11
Bought one today and seems pretty good. Only thing is the football game audio is in spanish where if I watch it on another tv in the house it is English. Cant find anything on Google to fix this

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags