When do TV shows become available on Amazon Prime? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When do TV shows become available on Amazon Prime? I just started watching "Fringe" and probably will watch first 4 seasons before 5th ends. Some episodes from 5th season are already available on Amazon for "purchase" but I am not looking to "purchase" them.

On a related note: I noticed that during first season shows are about 51 minutes long and during the 4th - about 43 minutes long. Did average amount of TV commercials per hour increase from 9 minutes to 17 minutes within 4 years??? Or maybe it reflects the fact that when show became more popular advertisers became more interested in placing ads in this show? I stopped watching broadcast TV on a regular basis over 10 years ago and just can't tell what the dynamics are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72

Syndicated reruns-which is what both Netflix and Amazon Prime, are buying, have their episode packages added to once a year, usually 6 months after the season ends, or several months after the season dvd box set is released, whichever comes last. No different than if they were a local station or cable network. Since Fringe's 5th season will only be 13 episodes, ending perhaps in January, it won't be added to the episodes already streaming on AP until at least summer. As you've noticed, you can buy s5 episodes thru Amazon Video, or Itunes and perhaps Vudu, but they won't appear on any monthly subscription service during the broadcast run.

And if I recall correctly, Fringe S1 was a great 'experiment' on the part of Fox, to reduce the number of commercials run, by upping the episode length to the 1960s era of 52 mins, while charging a slightly higher rate to advertisers. After a strong start, ratings tapered off, so, the episode length fell in line with the current 42-43 min.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 4 Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I started re-watching Fringe as Amazon Prime Instant Video a couple of weeks ago (concurrent with watching the final season on cable) and am 4 episodes into the second season. I've been quite happy with PQ and AQ, surprising given how low the bit rate is. I've really been enjoying it.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4 of 4 Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 View Post

On a related note: I noticed that during first season shows are about 51 minutes long and during the 4th - about 43 minutes long. Did average amount of TV commercials per hour increase from 9 minutes to 17 minutes within 4 years??? Or maybe it reflects the fact that when show became more popular advertisers became more interested in placing ads in this show? I stopped watching broadcast TV on a regular basis over 10 years ago and just can't tell what the dynamics are.
The first season was a bit unusual as far as commercial breaks. I think they were trying an experiment, and they actually told how how long the break would be. I think the show actually was a bit longer than is typical, and had fewer commercials.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page