post #421 of 429 Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I wish they would update the butt ugly Roku Netflix interface. The PS3 is light years ahead and also streaming is much more reliable than the Roku.

The interface is a matter of taste; many Roku users prefer its interface. I've heard TiVo and even PS3 users curse it (Westly-C says he hates it--as compared to this older UI whose browser was more powerful--back in this post). As mailiang points out, your problem with the Roku's Netflix player performance is a personal one. My Roku 3 is definitely one of the highest performers of the several platforms I have, including the PS3. It starts the player from the home menu in 4 seconds and streams in 1-3 seconds. In its favor, recent versions of the PS3 ramp up to the higher bit rate video encodes much faster, it has the (undocumented, unsupported) stream info display and I probably prefer the PS3's UI. I do not use the PS3 because my launch model draws somewhere between 170-180W while streaming video versus the Roku's 3.5W and no more than 11W or so for a BD player. The PS3 also has a noisy fan which kicks in after about 15 minutes.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 429 Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
UnoTelly only allows access to US/UK on WD TV Live. It does work with the BBC iPlayer though.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #423 of 429 Old 05-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

UnoTelly only allows access to US/UK on WD TV Live. It does work with the BBC iPlayer though.

I'd call that a definite point against the use of UnoTelly biggrin.gif.

How'd you get the BBC iPlayer onto your (presumably) US WD TV Live? I got it onto my PS3 only through a really involved process.

post #424 of 429 Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'd call that a definite point against the use of UnoTelly biggrin.gif.

How'd you get the BBC iPlayer onto your (presumably) US WD TV Live? I got it onto my PS3 only through a really involved process.

There's a setting on the UnoTelly setup page. Once you set it to UK you have access to the iPlayer app.

I already boxed up my WD TV Player, no need to use it. I have too many devices already. I'll probably sell it.

post #425 of 429 Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I think you are confusing the different channels available in the US and UK versus the all of the countries available on Netflix.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #426 of 429 Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have the first PS3 Slim model. I think it only uses about 70 watts and it is quiet.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #427 of 429 Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I think you are confusing the different channels available in the US and UK versus the all of the countries available on Netflix.

I don't think that he is. He's saying that if you use UnoTelly and set the Netflix region to anything other than the US or UK then the WD TV Live's Netflix player won't work. His other Netflix playing devices work with the UnoTelly Netflix region set to other places. I'm not sure why he mentions BBC IPlayer in that context.

BTW, Dave, what happens if you try to use the TVL's Netflix player with UnoTelly's Netflix region set to something other than USA or UK? Just curious.

post #428 of 429 Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I have the first PS3 Slim model. I think it only uses about 70 watts and it is quiet.

CNET measured that model's power consumption at 75W idling in the XMB, 81W playing a BD and 85W playing YouTube video. Even 70W is 20 times the power consumption of a Roku, making it an ecologically irresponsible choice for streaming Netflix if you have almost anything else which will do it biggrin.gif.

I found where someone measured the WD TV Live as drawing 7W idling and 8W when playing 1080p video. My Panasonic DMP-BDT220 is spec'd to use 8.9W in operation and 0.1W standby. I suppose my "ecologically responsible" choice would be my TiVo Premiere, since it's always on anyway. Given that it has a stripped down version of the common Netflix UI (PS3-style) I'll squander a few watts on something a little nicer to use smile.gif.

post #429 of 429 Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't think that he is. He's saying that if you use UnoTelly and set the Netflix region to anything other than the US or UK then the WD TV Live's Netflix player won't work. His other Netflix playing devices work with the UnoTelly Netflix region set to other places. I'm not sure why he mentions BBC IPlayer in that context.

BTW, Dave, what happens if you try to use the TVL's Netflix player with UnoTelly's Netflix region set to something other than USA or UK? Just curious.

I think he's right. I'm confusing channels with countries. I honestly saw the separate setting for WD TV Live and didn't notice it specifically said "Channels". I'm just noticing it now. I didn't bother to test Netflix after I rebooted my device. Oops.biggrin.gif

No matter, I boxed it up. As I said I have too many devices anyways. If the WD TV Live doesn't show "Super HD" in the info panel it doesn't do me much good.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page