Netflix Pauses Randomly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a problem with Netflix randomly pausing on me. It will play for about 1.5 to 2 hours and then pause and have buttons asking if i want to 'return to browse' ' continue playing' and something else I cannot remember right now. I have talked to Netflix support and they keep saying its this or that but they do not have anything that does it. I have NO screensavers on, NO power saving options on and NO problems with any other streaming service. I can play Hulu for 24hrs straight (Really I have done this) with it never pausing once. I stream these services on one computer and work on another so I never touch the computer (again, there is no screensaver). This is driving me crazy and I really would like to know if any one else has had this problem and if so, could you PLEASE help me? Thanks in advance for any help you may give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Netflix seems to be having some issues lately. X-High/HD, and even High/HD seems to be disappearing on many devices. It seems as if Netflix may be throttling.

See this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1440503/odd-netflix-issue-x-high-hd-no-longer-available

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Probably due to throngs who have purchased cheap BD and streaming players at Black Friday and holiday sale price give Netflix a try for the first time.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well I have had this computer for awhile. I did not buy it at a blackfriday sale. It is not my computer. I had this computer built special for my photography business but have since upgraded ( which is why it is being used for this now). It is a whop[ping 4 years old and at the time of purchase had upgraded everything. So if it was something with my computer I would imagine it would affect more than just Netflix. Now I have looked into Netflix and cannot get any help, and am looking into Silverlight now. I have not been able to find anything with that either.

However if anybody has anything helpful to say I would appreciate it. Just saying "It's probably the cheaply purchased blackfriday equip" when you don't know anything about it is not helpful (next time ask if it's the cheap blackfriday junk and a new Netflix user). But thanks all the same.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 181
On your computer what browser are you using with Netflix. If you're using Windows as your operating system what version? You mentioned no problem with running Hulu were you running it in a browser or were you running the Hulu desktop?
Your issues could be related to Silverlight as Netflix uses a version a little different than the stock Microsoft offering.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 160
You are misunderstanding what I'm saying. What I meant is that with more people getting a streaming player for their TV or maybe even a phone/tablet where they can play Netflix movies the demand on their system goes up. If you read the other sections here you'll find people noting rebuffering problems during vacations and weekends. I wasn't saying it was your computer because unless it is really, really old it should keep up with the stream.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedNetflix View Post

Well I have had this computer for awhile. I did not buy it at a blackfriday sale. It is not my computer. I had this computer built special for my photography business but have since upgraded ( which is why it is being used for this now). It is a whop[ping 4 years old and at the time of purchase had upgraded everything. So if it was something with my computer I would imagine it would affect more than just Netflix. Now I have looked into Netflix and cannot get any help, and am looking into Silverlight now. I have not been able to find anything with that either.
However if anybody has anything helpful to say I would appreciate it. Just saying "It's probably the cheaply purchased blackfriday equip" when you don't know anything about it is not helpful (next time ask if it's the cheap blackfriday junk and a new Netflix user). But thanks all the same.

I don't think he is talking about your equipment. He is saying that the sudden introduction of thousands of BR streaming players may have slowed the whole system down.

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 AM

I use a program called NextFlik that solves this problem for me. It will play episodes continuously for as long as you want it to. I have used it for the past year and it has always worked as advertised. Here is a link if you want to check it out.

http://www.next-flik.com
Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Liked: 11
You should call Netflix and ask what connection speed they see you connecting at.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 AM

It is working as intended. For me, netflix has always paused every few episodes and asked me if I wished to continue. It does not seem to interrupt a movie, even a 3 hour plus long movie but if I am watching a series, for example when I watched Lost, the episodes averages 21 minutes or so each and every 3 episodes it would stop and ask if I wanted to continue watching.

It is quite frustrating to have to get up out of bed and go to the computer to just say yes I want to watch this. I believe the intention is to conserve bandwith as many may rather just turn it off than have to deal with the hassle.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Happens to me too, so annoying!!!!!!!!!!  I watch a lot of movies/shows and I think that has something to do with it.  First time I chatted with customer service they pretended like they didn't know what I was talking about, then had me do all this random stuff to see if it resolved the problem.  It didn't.  Today, pissed off beyond belief I told them if I press play obviously I want to watch the show, that I wanted the random stops turned off, that it wasn't happening to everyone so obviously it was something they could control.  The rep asked me to hold on and came back a few minutes later and said it had been fixed.  So maybe try that...

Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Your provider is probably part of the problem as well.