DirecTV vs. Vudu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just connected a CAT5e cable to my LG BR Player, and ordered Men in Black III from VUDU. The picture quality was excellent, info on my HDTV shows 1080 P and DD shows on my receiver. The price was $5.99. I then looked up the same movie on DirecTV and would have gotten the same quality (from past experience) for the same movie at $5.99. The only exception is that DirecTV would let me watch for 48 hours instead of VUDU's 24 hours.

I guess my question is why bother with streaming if it costs the same to just punch in the movie on DirecTV?

Also, I do not understand the VUDU option to purchase the video, or what Ultraviolet is?

I have only heard bad things about Netflix, and the rest seem to be right at the price of DirecTV. So, what's the point? I'm not into watching Hogans Heroes or any of the oldies.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Gee,to bad you didn't order from Amazon,you could have saved a buck. They rent it for $4.98 in HD. Dunno if it's in 1080p or 720p though.

I also don't know why anybody would bother to stream anything if they already have cable/sat. and it's available there,it's redundant,pointless.. I stream cuz i dropped my satellite sub.,for me streaming is the only way i get tv.
I like Netflix,use it all the time. Doesn't matter to me if they dropped X-High/HD(or whatever it's called)i stream in 720p cuz that's my tv's native resolution. In my case, to stream higher would be a waste of bandwidth.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-06-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I keep DirecTV because I like channels like AMC, History, H2, Discovery--that kind of thing. I never pay for premium channels. Everything I've seen a dozen times, or I would never watch in the first place.

Amazon is one of the steaming services not offered by LG. A dollar less would be nice. I use Netflix for discs.

I appreciate your comments.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
post #4 of 14 Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 116
If you buy the movie on Blu-ray and it comes with UV. You'll be able to redeem the UV copy and then always have the ability to watch it from Vudu without any additional cost. You'll also have access to stream it from other providers such as: Flixster, CinemaNow, Barnes & Noble Nook Video Service (future provider), Redbox Instant (future provider). This also applies if you buy the title from Vudu and it's a UV title, you'll have the same benefits.

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #5 of 14 Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Be careful about 'always' being able to watch a UV title. I'm pretty certain the fine print may say you could be limited as to how long it will be available to you. It may also be restricted to SD or other low resolution.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #6 of 14 Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

If you buy the movie on Blu-ray and it comes with UV. You'll be able to redeem the UV copy and then always have the ability to watch it from Vudu without any additional cost. You'll also have access to stream it from other providers such as: Flixster, CinemaNow, Barnes & Noble Nook Video Service (future provider), Redbox Instant (future provider). This also applies if you buy the title from Vudu and it's a UV title, you'll have the same benefits.

Thanks for the explanation. I can't get a reply from CinemaNow as to how many 1080P movies they have. I was really impressed with VUDU.

Floyd

post #7 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Be careful about 'always' being able to watch a UV title. I'm pretty certain the fine print may say you could be limited as to how long it will be available to you. It may also be restricted to SD or other low resolution.

As far as how long it will be available to you is subjective. Once a title is redeemed and in your UV digital locker, it will be there forever. However, the provider is only required provide streaming access for 1 year. I would think providers such as VUDU, which are completely built on delivering streaming video would never cut you off after 1 year and charge you. Potentially they could, but I think there would be some backlash if they did. I'm personally waiting for the Common File Format (CFF) files to become available and then I'll keep copies for offline viewing on my own server.

I've only been using UV since August. My experience has been that if the UV title was redeemed from a blu-ray, you'll get an HD copy of the title. If you redeem from DVD, you'll get a SD copy. Some older titles had issues in the past that would redeem only as SD, even if redeemed from a blu-ray. However, older UV titles that are purchased recently will redeem as HD from blu-ray. And if titles don't redeem as HD, usually if contact support and prove with a receipt and picture of the movie, they will issue you a new code for HD. Also note that almost all iTunes digital copies were only SD quality. Some of the newer titles are redeemable in HD quality versus almost all UV titles redeeming as HD quality from a blu-ray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydster View Post

Thanks for the explanation. I can't get a reply from CinemaNow as to how many 1080P movies they have. I was really impressed with VUDU.
Floyd

VUDU is the best provider of the bunch. But it's nice to buy once and have a multiple providers to choose from for watching your UV titles.

"Live to Win!"
post #8 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Once a title is redeemed and in your UV digital locker, it will be there forever.

You have proof of this? The UV TOS states the content provider may levy additional charges in order for you to continue viewing a UV title. If you do not renew your license you could very well lose that UV title.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

You have proof of this? The UV TOS states the content provider may levy additional charges in order for you to continue viewing a UV title. If you do not renew your license you could very well lose that UV title.

I already stated that.... "As far as how long it will be available to you is subjective. Once a title is redeemed and in your UV digital locker, it will be there forever. However, the provider is only required provide streaming access for 1 year. "

So what is your question? I didn't falsely state anything... Also, I feel like providers such as VUDU would never impose a charge after 1 year because there entire business is built on streaming. Of course that could change and this is only an assumption... But the titles are not going to vanish from your digital locker after a certain time period because they do state in the TOS that they are good forever...

I also intend to download all my movies and keep them locally stored after the CFF files are made available. Then, if they ever did decide to monetize on streaming after 1 year, it wouldn't be an issue because I have all the movies for offline viewing like I've done previously. I'm sure a service like Netflix with UV (pay monthly fee) would come along and this would not be an issue ever... In fact a service just like this is coming soon, it's called Redbox Instant!

Just my thoughts on this...

"Live to Win!"
post #10 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't falsely state anything

Searched the UV site for the term “forever” and came up empty except in the TOS where it was used twice as it related to legal action.

After more than a year their player frame still states:
Quote:
UltraViolet Players Coming Soon!
You’ll be able to easily add players to your UltraViolet account. Look for the UltraViolet logo in your favorite players.

Quote:
UltraViolet Account

Accounts may have up to six account users ("Members"), each with their own defined usernames and passwords. Use of UltraViolet is subject to Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

UltraViolet Rights
When an Account Member adds an UltraViolet title to the Account's Collection, the record of this title does not expire and will remain in the Collection unless an Account Member deletes it, or if the Account is terminated by a Member. Registering a title in the Account's Collection enables Account Members to make use of UltraViolet Rights, which include: (a) certain rights and capabilities which Account Members will always receive at no extra charge beyond original purchase price for the related content (see below); (b) certain privileges and capabilities which participating UltraViolet Retailers and Streaming Services may choose at their option to provide at no charge; and (c) additional privileges and capabilities which may be offered by UltraViolet Retailers and Streaming Services with service charges, subscription fees or other costs associated with them.

Streaming
UltraViolet Rights include streaming from the selling UltraViolet Retailer, at no extra charge above the original content purchase price, for at least one year after purchase. This no-extra-charge streaming will be offered to specific apps/devices, and via streaming means, to be determined by the selling UltraViolet Retailer. Streaming of a given title from the selling UltraViolet Retailer more than a year after its purchase, or at any time via Streaming Services other than the selling UltraViolet Retailer, may incur fees and if so any such fees would be presented to the consumer in advance of streaming titles, with the consumer having the option to accept the fees or not use that Streaming Service. Members of an Account may stream up to three titles at the same time. Streaming availability may be subject to territorial restrictions if an Account Member is seeking to stream in a territory that is different from where content was purchased. Streaming availability may also be subject to restrictions that exist for certain periods of time, for certain titles.

Downloads
Titles that come with UltraViolet Rights may be offered by the selling UltraViolet Retailer with certain rights to download files. In this circumstance, the number and type of devices to which downloads are permitted may vary by retailer and title. Additionally, UltraViolet retailers may offer Account Members the chance to download files associated with titles they have purchased from other UltraViolet Retailers, based on confirming the Account's UltraViolet Right to that title that is registered in the Collection.

Physical copy option
When consumers make online purchases of UltraViolet-enabled content for digital use (i.e. not buying a disc via e-commerce, but rather buying download/streaming rights), they may also be offered the opportunity to buy a version of that UltraViolet-enabled title that allows them to have a single physical-media copy (e.g. the title copied onto a DVD or flash memory). Whether this option is available, and the details of how it works to obtain this copy, may vary by retailer and by title. If the consumer chooses to purchase a version of an UltraViolet-enabled title that does include this option for a physical media copy, they will have one year from the date of purchase during which the selling UltraViolet Retailer must facilitate them obtaining the copy, at no charge above the original content purchase price.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Searched the UV site for the term “forever” and came up empty except in the TOS where it was used twice as it related to legal action.

Did you try reading the first sentence of the TOS under UltraViolet Rights and not searching?
Quote:
UltraViolet Rights
When an Account Member adds an UltraViolet title to the Account's Collection, the record of this title does not expire and will remain in the Collection unless an Account Member deletes it, or if the Account is terminated by a Member.

I don't see how that doesn't imply that it will remain in your UV digital locker indefinitely (forever)....
Quote:

After more than a year their player frame still states:

UltraViolet Players Coming Soon!
You’ll be able to easily add players to your UltraViolet account. Look for the UltraViolet logo in your favorite players.

I agree that they launched a little too soon, but the system is picking up steam with more providers coming online and making announcements. I would be shocked if we didn't see any news in regards to the UV Players and CFF at CES2013... But even if they launched too soon, the same could be said for blu-rays launch with an incomplete specification...

"Live to Win!"
post #12 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see how that doesn't imply that it will remain in your UV digital locker indefinitely (forever)....

I try not to read anything into a legal document. You used the term “forever” which can not be found on the UV site and was pointed out to you. Rant, rationalize and justify all you want but UV does not use that term. Northing more to be said on this subject.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Yes, they don't use the exact term and I never stated that they did use that term. But your implying that a title will vanish from your account after a period of time and they explicitly state that it does not expire. Your just arguing over my use of a term to describe what they stated in the TOS in a different way.

"Live to Win!"
post #14 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I already stated that.... "As far as how long it will be available to you is subjective. Once a title is redeemed and in your UV digital locker, it will be there forever. However, the provider is only required provide streaming access for 1 year. "
So what is your question? I didn't falsely state anything... Also, I feel like providers such as VUDU would never impose a charge after 1 year because there entire business is built on streaming. Of course that could change and this is only an assumption... But the titles are not going to vanish from your digital locker after a certain time period because they do state in the TOS that they are good forever...
I also intend to download all my movies and keep them locally stored after the CFF files are made available. Then, if they ever did decide to monetize on streaming after 1 year, it wouldn't be an issue because I have all the movies for offline viewing like I've done previously. I'm sure a service like Netflix with UV (pay monthly fee) would come along and this would not be an issue ever... In fact a service just like this is coming soon, it's called Redbox Instant!
Just my thoughts on this...

I would like to hear more about Redbox Instant. The more competition there is, the better the prices get.

Floyd

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page