RedBox To Launch Streaming Video Service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 634
New: Redbox Instant video streaming service to launch, includes free 1-mo. trial

Redbox will soon be launching its Redbox Instant video streaming service. According to CNNMoney, this new service will cost $8 per month and include unlimited streaming of movies from Warner Bros., Sony Pictures, NBC Universal, and other studios. (For an extra dollar, it'll also add four 1-day DVD rentals from its Redbox kiosks, although Redbox's Facebook page claims no addiitonal fee will be required for this.) Currently, Redbox Instant is via invitation only; click here to sign up for a free 1-month trial as a beta tester (a subscription will be required).

http://www.redbox.com/instant?cid=soc:fb:instant:12:12:2012&clickid=3VqRC0SxF0VYWXW2HO0xjRpyUkRw76zVrymyTI0&iradid=32641&irpid=10078&cid=aff:ir:Q412

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2019749/redbox-instant-to-take-on-netflix-but-wont-include-tv-shows.html

http://techland.time.com/2012/12/12/redbox-instant-streaming-plan-takes-on-netflix/

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be interested to see what they have but can't see too many choosing this over netflix or amazon even with the rental credits.... had they gotten the new release credits to be for streaming versions of the movies that would have been a gamechanger.
post #4 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

I'll be interested to see what they have but can't see too many choosing this over netflix or amazon even with the rental credits.... had they gotten the new release credits to be for streaming versions of the movies that would have been a gamechanger.

Well, nobody is going to have that for this kind of money .. wink.gif

A free 30 days to Beta test is tempting .. free is always good .. I've sent them an email asking about what devices are going to have apps / etc ..

I've also asked if a plan will be availble that would include some BD rentals as well ..

I'm sure most of what will be offered is a duplication of NetFlix / Amazon ..

Uncle Willie

post #5 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

They did.... the 4 bluray and streaming plan is $9 ($1 more than the base plan). Saw it on one of the articles.
post #6 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

They did.... the 4 bluray and streaming plan is $9 ($1 more than the base plan). Saw it on one of the articles.

Now that makes it even more tempting ..

Uncle Willie

post #7 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
But, how many devices, if any, will support Redbox streaming, other than a PC? Will they offer 1080p/5.1?

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
post #8 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Redbox is gonna have to support more than PC viewing,if they don't then i think they'll be DOA cuz nobody i ever heard of wants to be Forced to watch anything on a PC. People want to stream to their tv's and lay back on the couch, that's why we buy players like Roku and other streaming devices. Also,if they're gonna start with a meager 5500 of only the "most popular" titles,which another poster noted,would probably be nothing more than duplicates of what Vudu,Netflix,and Amazon already have, then why bother to pay yet another fee to Redbox at all??. That's redundant and a waste of $$$$$ IMO.
post #9 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

All new streaming services start somewhere .. and a PC stream can be piped to a TV without much hassle .. and of course there will be duplication with NF and Amazon .. there are only so many movies out there ..

However, with the free DVD/BD rentals, it's likely to become a player in the market ..

Uncle Willie

post #10 of 142 Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

All new streaming services start somewhere .. and a PC stream can be piped to a TV without much hassle.

That's true,i do it myself on occasion...but it is a hassle,and not something that IMO people will want to put up with for very long. I know i don't like having to disconnect, reroute, and reconnect HDMI cables every time i want to stream something from my laptop thru my AVR to my tv,then have to go back and undo the connections i made after the movie is over. Maybe i'm wrong,but i just don't think people will jump for joy to be Forced to go thru their PC's......not when streaming players are available.just my opinion. But i'm 'guessing' that Redbox WILL make themselves available thru streaming players cuz i have a hard time believing that the people who run Redbox are so stupid as to limit their stream to PC's only.
post #11 of 142 Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

That's true,i do it myself on occasion...but it is a hassle,and not something that IMO people will want to put up with for very long. I know i don't like having to disconnect, reroute, and reconnect HDMI cables every time i want to stream something from my laptop thru my AVR to my tv,then have to go back and undo the connections i made after the movie is over. Maybe i'm wrong,but i just don't think people will jump for joy to be Forced to go thru their PC's......not when streaming players are available.just my opinion. But i'm 'guessing' that Redbox WILL make themselves available thru streaming players cuz i have a hard time believing that the people who run Redbox are so stupid as to limit their stream to PC's only.

My PS3 is next to my chair .. I unplug the HDMI from the PS3 and plug it into the laptop .. it then routes to the same input on the AVR .. takes about 10 seconds .. but, I know I'm likely the exception to most folks connectivity ..

Uncle Willie

post #12 of 142 Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
I imagine if it hits Roku and worms its way into most Blu-ray players it'll take off.

If it can be viewed on a PC, can't you set up a media server and have it stream to a DLNA device?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #13 of 142 Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Engadget had an article about it recently. In there they state:
Quote:
Redbox also announced that its instant service will head to Samsung-manufactured Blu-ray players and SmartHub TVs, as well as LG's Blu-ray players / Smart TVs, as well as Google TV devices. No word is given on the previously leaked Xbox 360 player

I'm bummed there's no mention of Roku. It seems I own every streaming device except the ones on their list.

More at
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/12/redbox-instant-pricing/

Facta Non Verba!

post #14 of 142 Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I imagine if it hits Roku and worms its way into most Blu-ray players it'll take off.

That's my point. They gotta allow media players to access the service so it will 'take off'', otherwise they may end up alienating a lot people who might otherwise have signed up for the service.Since Roku is arguably the most popular player around,and with more "channels" than just about any other similar device,then Roku is the logical place to start(other than a PC.). Streaming to PC's alone won't 'cut it' IMO. I don't know how many people would be willing to go to the trouble of setting up a media server just to have access to one lone service that will in all probability just duplicate(movies) what Netflix,Amazon,and Vudu already offer. I know that i wouldn't bother with it,but that's just me.
post #15 of 142 Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post

Engadget had an article about it recently. In there they state:
I'm bummed there's no mention of Roku. It seems I own every streaming device except the ones on their list.
More at
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/12/redbox-instant-pricing/

Gee RangerOne,i hadn't read that article. Your post is very timely cuz i was just arguing that Redbox does need to go beyond PC streaming only,and i'm kinda surprised that there's no mention of Roku...yet.
post #16 of 142 Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

That's my point. They gotta allow media players to access the service so it will 'take off'', otherwise they may end up alienating a lot people who might otherwise have signed up for the service.Since Roku is arguably the most popular player around,and with more "channels" than just about any other similar device,then Roku is the logical place to start(other than a PC.). Streaming to PC's alone won't 'cut it' IMO. I don't know how many people would be willing to go to the trouble of setting up a media server just to have access to one lone service that will in all probability just duplicate(movies) what Netflix,Amazon,and Vudu already offer. I know that i wouldn't bother with it,but that's just me.

By the way, the most popular stand-alone streaming player in terms of sale is Apple TV with Roku as #2. I hope they put Redbox on the Roku and I agree that it's a good place to start. Roku makes it pretty easy to add your own channel. Apple TV is a lot tougher given it's a closed system.

However, the biggest numbers are from the game consoles which have tens of millions of devices out there between the PS3, Xbox and Wii classic (probably over 100 million if you add up all three worldwide).

Facta Non Verba!

post #17 of 142 Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I'm disappointed this will be a subscription service. I was hoping for a low priced alternative to vudu. I rarely find more than 1 worthwhile title per month at redbox. I don't see how their miniscule library could pull anyone from netflix. Looks like I'll keep using the machines for the foreseeable future.

post #18 of 142 Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I'm disappointed this will be a subscription service. I was hoping for a low priced alternative to vudu.

Redbox Instant by Verizon will be more like Amazon in that it will be a place you can do SVOD, rental by title or title purchase. IMO, do not ever expect to see much price variation between providers of digital content. With digital content the content owners are in 100% control of their product. There is no First Sale Doctrine for digital content like there is for physical content (disc).

Years ago I warned folks they should be careful of what they wished for.

post #19 of 142 Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I got the app for Android and of course it wanted a key so I signed up for that and they emailed they would be sending a key. But I doubt I would ever watch a movie on my device. I watched one foreign film from Netflix once on my phone and tablet because it was subtitled and the subtitles weren't showing with my Sony BD player. And I have my doubts unless Sony sells them a bunch of content that I will see their app on the Sony player since Sony seems to be continuously coming up with their various streaming services. It might show up on the Samsung BD player though.
post #20 of 142 Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Hopefully the service is better than the announcement. The promotional website is ludicrously bad.
https://www.redboxinstant.com/rbgatekeeper/

Apparently they will be streaming of an unknown set of video to unknown types of devices at an unknown time. So I figured that more info must be in the video linked from that page. Nope. The video is so useless that it feels like we're being punked. No sound and the only words are that "redbox is now streaming". Are they actually? As far as I can tell, they aren't yet.

If that's the best they can communicate with customers, then they're seriously in trouble.

Edit:

Nope, they aren't actually streaming yet. So pretty much everything about the announcement is a failure. Even if you sign up to receive the info via email, all that happens is you get an email with zero info. Why can't they just tell us what's going on... like even a single sentence of actual information?

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad redbox will be offering streaming service. Us consumers will benefit from the competition. But this roll-out reeks of incompetent management. Hopefully upper management is handling things better than whoever was in charge of this announcement.
post #21 of 142 Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Ah... after some searching I found the press release. It's baffling why they're trying to keep this info secret.
Edit: Quote of press release replaced with a link to the press release

Redbox Instant by Verizon Unveils Details of Disc + Digital Movie Service
Announces Streaming Content Agreement With EPIX
Lionsgate, NBCUniversal, Paramount Pictures, Relativity and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment to Offer Movies for Purchase (EST) and Rental (VOD)
Service to Launch on Leading Devices Including iOS®, Android™, Samsung® Blu-ray Players and TVs With SmartHub™, LG Smart TV and Blu-ray Players, and Google TV

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/-1736659.htm
post #22 of 142 Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Ah... after some searching I found the press release. It's baffling why they're trying to keep this info secret.

I believe AVS really frowns upon quoting articles in their entirety (copyright issues). Best to quote the pertinent info and provide link to article.

post #23 of 142 Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I believe AVS really frowns upon quoting articles in their entirety (copyright issues). Best to quote the pertinent info and provide link to article.
I assumed that quoting an official press release was alright. In case it isn't, i've replaced the quote with a link to the press release.

post #24 of 142 Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I assumed that quoting an official press release was alright. In case it isn't, i've replaced the quote with a link to the press release.

There are too many complete press release cut and pastes on AVS to even count .. a press release by it's very nature is designed to be posted / printed / quoted .. feel free to do so ..

Uncle Willie

post #25 of 142 Old 12-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Ah, an explanation of why the promo video was entirely pointless...

Apparently the promo originally linked to a video called "Trigger Some Happy". That video was removed and replaced in light of the Newtown killings.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/redbox-instant-verizon-marketing-video/

Original Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6hIawAFA8

New Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4X2FUQLuG8
post #26 of 142 Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

From AVS TOS
Quote:
You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for all Member Content that you make available through the Site or Services. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that: (i) you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site or Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to AVS and to the rights in such Member Content, as contemplated under these Terms; and (ii) neither the Member Content nor your posting, uploading, publication, submission or transmittal of the Member Content or AVS’s use of the Member Content (or any portion thereof) on, through or by means of the Site or Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.

Copyright Policy
AVS respects copyright law and expects its users to do the same. It is AVS’s policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances Members or other account holders who repeatedly infringe or are believed to be repeatedly infringing the rights of copyright holders

From the quoted site:
Quote:
© 2012 Marketwire, Incorporated. All rights reserved.

post #27 of 142 Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
MK is correct. Having been in the business end of things I know that marketing wants the PR releases distributed and quoted. Doubt unless you mucked with the content of the release that they would give a damn about it being quoted on a site. Perhaps if that is too vague in the terms the AVSForum counsel (if there is one) might want to revisit it. It kinda amuses me when a movie trailer on YouTube has an ad before. The trailer is an ad in itself. Believe me I'm not surprised that some business folks are "unclear of the concept." biggrin.gif
post #28 of 142 Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Well Red Box hasn't sent me a streaming promo-code yet. Instead they sent junk email with a physical DVD rental promo-code.

I know it's just one junk email but it still rubs me the wrong way. It's bait and switch.

I clearly signed for an instant streaming code and instead they send me advertisements for a completely different service. And yet they still list the sender's email address as "Redbox Instant by Verizon ".
post #29 of 142 Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well Red Box hasn't sent me a streaming promo-code yet. Instead they sent junk email with a physical DVD rental promo-code.
I know it's just one junk email but it still rubs me the wrong way. It's bait and switch.
I clearly signed for an instant streaming code and instead they send me advertisements for a completely different service. And yet they still list the sender's email address as "Redbox Instant by Verizon ".

As with any BETA test, there is no guarantee you'll be picked to participate .. the home page link clearly states "Get in Line" ..

So they send you a free rental and you're somehow insulted .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #30 of 142 Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

As with any BETA test, there is no guarantee you'll be picked to participate .. the home page link clearly states "Get in Line" ..
So they send you a free rental and you're somehow insulted .. ??
No, that post is clearly, specifically criticizing the unrelated spam email from redbox.

With that said, I never saw or clicked anything that said "Get in Line". On the redbox instant homepage, I clicked a button that said "Gimme". There is nothing on that page that mentions anything about waiting or getting in line.
https://www.redboxinstant.com/rbgatekeeper/

This goes back to my original point about how poorly this service is being rolled out. There is literally zero information.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page