Vudu 3D streaming capable device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Tighe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Augusta, ME
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone suggest a device known to be capable of streaming Vudu's 3D content? To be clear, not just the regular vudu streaming app but the actual 3D content. I was just about to purchase a Roku 2 XS as a Christmas gift for my parents until I talked to their customer support and said none of their players support it. What about the WD TV live or the (shutter) apple tv? I'm also open to blu-ray players as an option. I would appreciate any insight and guidance you good folk can provide.
Tighe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Disney animated movie "Tangled" on Vudu is in 3D. I own a Roku 2XS and watched the two minute preview wearing red/blue polarized glasses, the 3D effect was pretty good! Am planning on watching it on Christmas day with my niece and nephew.....got glasses for both(and myself) and i think they'll love it.(me too!) smile.gif
greaser is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Otter0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WD TV Live does play 3D from Vudu!
Otter0911 is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Maybe they have both had software updates but the Vudu website says neither the Roku or WD Live can do Vudu 3D.

http://www.vudu.com/devices.html
undecided is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Maybe they have both had software updates but the Vudu website says neither the Roku or WD Live can do Vudu 3D.

I'm a bit confused. I'm no techie so is there an "official" standard for being able "to do" 3D??. Reason i ask is cuz with the glasses i DID get a pretty good 3D effect watching the 2 min.preview for "TANGLED" from Disney, viewing through my Roku 2XS which Vudu says doesn't support 3D. confused.gif I watched the preview 2-3 times to make sure the glasses actually worked.....and they DO,except it wasn't with my red/blue glasses,it was with my red/green glasses....the red/blue glasses didn't 'seem to' have quite as much of an effect.

I also watched an old 1950's sci-fi 3D movie a coupla months ago using my Roku(can't remember the title)with my neighbor wearing glasses and we saw the 3D effect pretty good. So what does it really mean when Vudu says that the Roku "can't do" 3D???. I SAW IT myself and so did my neighbor, so Roku obviously(to me) 'can do' 3D. confused.gifsmile.gif
greaser is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Otter0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Maybe they have both had software updates but the Vudu website says neither the Roku or WD Live can do Vudu 3D.
http://www.vudu.com/devices.html

I own the WD TV Live and I own Meet the Robinsons 3D on Vudu, so I can confirm yes 3D streams via Vudu on the WD TV Live.
Otter0911 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't think Vudu knows what they're talking about. rolleyes.gif
greaser is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Tighe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Augusta, ME
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I don't think Vudu knows what they're talking about. rolleyes.gif

Exactly. I don't trust any of the customer support members from vudu, wd live, or roku, to know what they are talking about lol. Which is why I was hoping to hear from someone with personal, hands on experience on here. Otter, thank you for confirming that the WD TV is capable.
Tighe is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
i just watched "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" and now i'm watching "House of Wax" both in 3D and the effects are excellent. Obviously my Roku 2XS IS capable of showing 3D movies in 3D.
greaser is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Tighe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Augusta, ME
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

i just watched "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" and now i'm watching "House of Wax" both in 3D and the effects are excellent. Obviously my Roku 2XS IS capable of showing 3D movies in 3D.

Good to know as well. Now I just have to choose between the two. Thanks all. I wish my Oppo 93 was capable!
Tighe is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So I am little puzzled by this.

I have a Roku 2 but I don't see a 3D Version of Tangled - or any other 3D titles listed in Vudu.

How are you selecting / finding 3D titles.

My AVR and and TV both support 3D.

Is there some Vudu setting I am missing?
undecided is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Tighe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Augusta, ME
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 3D movies available are found under the Collections, then Showcase, tabs. Then select Now on Vudu 3D.
Tighe is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Strange I don't see a Vudu 3D tab in showcases on my Roku 2 XS

Posts on the Roku Forums also seem to suggest it doesn't support Vudu 3D yet some of you seem to get 3D titles on the Roku 2 XS

TV is Panasonic 55VT30 and AVR supports HDMI V1.4a (supports 3D video and Audio Return Channel)
undecided is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 AM
Member
 
leeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: s.florida
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys... I'm confused again here....

Are we talking about 'REAL' 3D, which requires the 'shutter' 3d-glasses and a 120hz-3d-tv, or are we talking about the old 'Anaglyph' 3D, which uses red-blue 3d glasses???

(YouTube has a bunch of 3d videos (anaglyph) which work great on my computer screen or on my tv with an old pair of the 'red-blue' glasses; they all look pretty good in 3d, tho they do darken the image somewhat.)

Can anybody here shed some light on what type of 3d is available from Vudu???

thnx...

LeeB
leeb is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

So I am little puzzled by this.
I have a Roku 2 but I don't see a 3D Version of Tangled - or any other 3D titles listed in Vudu.

After i read your post i went back to Vudu looking for the 3D version of "Tangled" again but i couldn't find it!! all i found was the regular version. I don't know what happened...it WAS there confused.gif i watched the 2 min.preview 2-3 times.....with glasses, and the 3D effect looked pretty good.....today.....nada. I don't know what to think or say except that it WAS there... and now it's not...confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif I know i can watch movies in 3D thru my Roku from other sources, cuz yesterday i watched 2 3D movies back to back and the 3D effects came thru just fine.

I'm going to have to go back to Vudu to find another 3D movie....any 3D movie...just to re-confirm(to myself)that my Roku can indeed successfully show 3D movies from Vudu. Gosh dang!!! i KNOW i wasn't hallucinatin' redface.gifconfused.gif
greaser is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb View Post

Hey guys... I'm confused again here....
Are we talking about 'REAL' 3D, which requires the 'shutter' 3d-glasses and a 120hz-3d-tv, or are we talking about the old 'Anaglyph' 3D, which uses red-blue 3d glasses???
(YouTube has a bunch of 3d videos (anaglyph) which work great on my computer screen or on my tv with an old pair of the 'red-blue' glasses; they all look pretty good in 3d, tho they do darken the image somewhat.)
Can anybody here shed some light on what type of 3d is available from Vudu???
thnx...
LeeB

All i know is that when i saw the 2 min. preview of Tangled 3D from Vudu i used an old pair of red/green(anaglyph) glasses and the 3D effects were pretty good,the red/blue glasses didn't seem to work well.Today i can't even find the 3D version. Don't know what happened....it's just gone.
greaser is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe View Post

The 3D movies available are found under the Collections, then Showcase, tabs. Then select Now on Vudu 3D.

Tighe,after following your directions,Collections>Showcases>tabs,i wasn't able to locate "Now on Vudu 3D".There are 34 selections to choose from but none said "Now on Vudu 3D".
I really need to find another 3D movie so i can re-confirm that i can watch a 3D movie (in 3D) from Vudu thru my Roku player.Do you happen to know of a 3D title....any title,that i can experiment with??? I sure would appreciate help in locating another title.
greaser is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Otter0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb View Post

Hey guys... I'm confused again here....
Are we talking about 'REAL' 3D, which requires the 'shutter' 3d-glasses and a 120hz-3d-tv, or are we talking about the old 'Anaglyph' 3D, which uses red-blue 3d glasses???
(YouTube has a bunch of 3d videos (anaglyph) which work great on my computer screen or on my tv with an old pair of the 'red-blue' glasses; they all look pretty good in 3d, tho they do darken the image somewhat.)
Can anybody here shed some light on what type of 3d is available from Vudu???
thnx...
LeeB

No its REAL 3D
Otter0911 is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
That is what I thought.

My TV and AVR will do 3D - but it seems that maybe the Roku doesn't do Vudu 3D.........
undecided is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bdoyledimou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Markham, Ont
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The VUDU 3-D movies require active 3-D tv -- the are not red/green(or blue) anaglyph --

I watch the 3-d films on my PS3 -- they do not show up on my Roku 2 XS

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
bdoyledimou is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

The VUDU 3-D movies require active 3-D tv -- the are not red/green(or blue) anaglyph --
I watch the 3-d films on my PS3 -- they do not show up on my Roku 2 XS


The first time i saw "Tangled 3D" it was mixed in(mistakenly i believe)) with other regular 2D movies in their Christmas selection of movies,not in the 3D movie selection area where it should have been. I was able to click on the movie and watch the 2 min.preview(3 times) thru my Roku AND i DID use regular old red/green anaglyph glasses and was able to see a pretty good 3D effect. Since that time the movie has disappeared from where i originally saw it and now resides in the 3D section where it belongs. I am also unable to access the 3D section with my Roku(i must use my PC for that),nor can i add a 3D movie to my watch list like i had originally done with "Tangled".The movie has since disappeared from my watchlist.
I'm 59 yrs.old,still have fairly good eyesight, am not given to "flights of fancy" nor hallucinations. I KNOW WHAT I SAW,and i saw it 3 TIMES!! I watched the preview with and without glasses,and i could hardly believe my eyes since we're not "supposed too" be able to view 3D movies thru a Roku from Vudu,but there it was,right in front of me....w/o glasses just a 2D image....with glasses i had a Good look at the preview IN 3D w/o any "active 3D" anything! I can't explain it...won't even try. I just know what i saw. I've seen plenty of 3D movies in my life and am familiar with the effect. No overly active imagination necessary,nor am i a liar. I don't expect Vudu to make the mistake of putting another 3D movie in any of their regular movie sections any time soon.
greaser is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Member
 
huskerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

The first time i saw "Tangled 3D" it was mixed in(mistakenly i believe)) with other regular 2D movies in their Christmas selection of movies,not in the 3D movie selection area where it should have been. I was able to click on the movie and watch the 2 min.preview(3 times) thru my Roku AND i DID use regular old red/green anaglyph glasses and was able to see a pretty good 3D effect. Since that time the movie has disappeared from where i originally saw it and now resides in the 3D section where it belongs. I am also unable to access the 3D section with my Roku(i must use my PC for that),nor can i add a 3D movie to my watch list like i had originally done with "Tangled".The movie has since disappeared from my watchlist.
I'm 59 yrs.old,still have fairly good eyesight, am not given to "flights of fancy" nor hallucinations. I KNOW WHAT I SAW,and i saw it 3 TIMES!! I watched the preview with and without glasses,and i could hardly believe my eyes since we're not "supposed too" be able to view 3D movies thru a Roku from Vudu,but there it was,right in front of me....w/o glasses just a 2D image....with glasses i had a Good look at the preview IN 3D w/o any "active 3D" anything! I can't explain it...won't even try. I just know what i saw. I've seen plenty of 3D movies in my life and am familiar with the effect. No overly active imagination necessary,nor am i a liar. I don't expect Vudu to make the mistake of putting another 3D movie in any of their regular movie sections any time soon.


Most on here are talking about stereoscopic 3D, are you familiar? I
had no clue anybody was still doing the old red/green glasses deal, thought that went away a long time ago..................the 3D boom over the last few years is all about stereo 3D, lots lots better!.......... VUDU must have accidently got some old anaglyph movies mixed in?
huskerbear is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[quote name="huskerbear" url="/t/1445523/vudu-3d-streaming-capable-device#post_22742593"...........VUDU must have accidently got some old anaglyph movies mixed in?[/quote]

Who knows,your guess is as good as mine. All i know is that the red/green glasses worked, and i was surprised that they did. Yes i've tried the active 3D glasses at a BB demo,they were OK but not as good as i had been led to believe judging by some of the posts i've read about them. BTW "Tangled" premiered on Nov.14, 2010,not exactly old,so i don't know when or if the old style 3D stopped being used.
greaser is offline  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off