Netflix streaming device performance? Looking for what is "typical", maybe a better streamer for $100 or less - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a Netgear NTV300 on sale for use playing Netflix (I wanted something that would do 1080p and DD+).

This device takes maybe 35 seconds to actually start up the Netflix app from the main menu. It takes a further 15-20 seconds or so to start streaming, and 7 seconds to actually stop once the "stop" button is hit.

This seems really slow to me...are the other media player boxes (Roku, WD TV Live, blu-ray players, etc.) like this?

Anyone have any recommendations for a media player box that operates smoothly and supports 1080p/DD+?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
With my Roku 2XS (which does support 1080p/DD+) i timed my entry into Netflix.It took a total of 21 sec.from the time i clicked on the channel to the time i began streaming a movie,stopping the stream was immediate. I guess the Netgear NTV300 is a bit slow.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 551
My Roku 2 XS takes 6 seconds to start the player from the home screen (sometimes a few more seconds to completely fill the UI with thumbs, sometimes not). It takes 5-7 seconds to start streaming a title. Of the devices I have which play Netflix with 1080p video and 5.1 sound (Roku, PS3, Sony BDP-S390 and Panasonic DMP-BDT220 BD players and TiVo Premiere) the Roku is fastest at app start-up and second fastest at stream start (the PS3 being the champ; after the first stream start, it takes 2-3 seconds to start subsequent titles).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #4 of 12 Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got a buddy to compare against the Sony 590 blu-ray player and it was somewhat faster than the Netgear box. I then picked up a Roku and the difference is huge. It's just way smoother and more responsive. The Netgear box is getting returned--the cost saving isn't worth the lost performance.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post

So I got a buddy to compare against the Sony 590 blu-ray player and it was somewhat faster than the Netgear box. I then picked up a Roku and the difference is huge. It's just way smoother and more responsive. The Netgear box is getting returned--the cost saving isn't worth the lost performance.

Agree, I owned the Netgear too and returned it. I noticed in my local Costco store yesterday that the Roku 2 XS bundle is selling for $69.99 until 1/5/13.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The PS3 has been giving me problems lately and I would get a Roku but I am waiting for the Roku 3 to come out. Don't want to buy a Roku then a month later it is discontinued and out of date.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

The PS3 has been giving me problems lately and I would get a Roku but I am waiting for the Roku 3 to come out. Don't want to buy a Roku then a month later it is discontinued and out of date.

I don't know that I'd hold my breath waiting for a new Roku STB to hit the market.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #8 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't know that I'd hold my breath waiting for a new Roku STB to hit the market.

I am waiting. I can also still watch Neflix on my laptop.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
What exactly do you expect this Roku 3 to do that a 2 can't? If you take the position that you won't buy anything today because a new model may come out tomorrow, you'd never buy anything. But if you're looking to replace a PS3, why not look at disc players since you'll lose disc playback as well when your PS3 goes? Lack of disc playback is precisely why I never have and probably never will buy a Roku. So many devices already play Netflix, a Roku seems redundant.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's why I said that I wouldn't hold my breath. If they can find a way to improve the Roku 2 such that it will generate new business (the only justification for launching a new product) I'll be surprised. That MHL stick they introduced in October has to be as small as it's going to get. The last two STBs, the LT and HD, were price and feature reduced products. They've also never released a product before April; all but two of their 13 products have hit the market in July or after (mostly after).

"
" -- hookbill
post #11 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 221
The browser based streaming has come a long way. Granted it is on YouTube but check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCKwxzL3VM

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #12 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

The browser based streaming has come a long way. Granted it is on YouTube but check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCKwxzL3VM

This is true--I can play 9 Mbps 1080p VUDU in a PC web browser window and it looks great. The Windows 8 Netflix app will play 1080p video encodes of HD titles. What I don't get from either is digital 5.1 surround.

"
" -- hookbill
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page