Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #361 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
If I can play "Example Short 23.976" then I've been assigned nflxvideo.net servers and will get Super HD. If the player says "can't play that right now" then I'm not assigned to Super HD servers. On most of the platforms if I stop and restart the player I'll probably get Super HD servers. If you don't play for a while it'll drop all of the server connections and you won't necessarily get Super HD ones the next time you ask it to play. It's kludgey, but usable.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

Ok, watching in 3D now...but the system is very unstable. Sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesnt. Likewise with SuperHD and even the example short. This is similar problem I have been having from NF for some time now. Its not my connection...everytime it acts up...I run speedtest....says right this moment..."unable to connect you to netflix..." speedtest just came back as 50x4. I was watching a bit of Flying Swords of Dragon Gate in 3D.

I totally forgot about the 3D. I need to check that out. Is there a section labeled "3D"? IS the 3D available from the Panasonci players? I think that is the only Netflix device I have, other than the PS3, that is 3D capable. At least with VUDU that is the case.

I'm still not sure if this will be worth the $5 a month. If it was consistent with the example short then I would feel better. Using other DNS servers on FIOS in the past I could Always consistently get the highest encode available on the example short on any device I tried. Even when I used several concurrently. But with the SuperHD and UN Block US it's been very inconsistent. Especially last night where my BDT-220 didn't even move past the 1050mbps encode. Which I have never seen happen before.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #363 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I totally forgot about the 3D. I need to check that out. Is there a section labeled "3D"? IS the 3D available from the Panasonci players? I think that is the only Netflix device I have, other than the PS3, that is 3D capable. At least with VUDU that is the case.

I havent been able to find a list yet....so its pretty much been guesswork. To piggyback on what michaeltscott was saying....I had a hard time with this. It would ask if I wanted to play in 3D but everytime I said yes, it would not play and say "cant play right now" or something like that. So I would put it on 2D and it would play fine. Likewise with example short....but I never "saw" example short go above 3800. I configured 2 different routers with the DNS. Speedtests always came back with at least 30 down, but most of the time between 49-52Mbps (my connection is 50x5). I configured my Viera and my PS3 for the DNS, and tried that way, tried wired from another router, then eventually went back to the one I felt best....the wireless connection. That was the only one that seemed to be able to get to 3800, all the rest were lower. So....I just left the router configured for DNS and played another title in "SuperHD" (although I never saw 5800) for about 30 min....then after that, I went back to Flying Swords....and it played in 3D just fine without hiccups. I dont know if that was the 5800 stream or not though.

Edit: this morn I have not been able to play Example Short 23.976
post #364 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

I havent been able to find a list yet....so its pretty much been guesswork.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/10/netflix-now-offering-films-in-3d-if-youve-got-the-kit-for-it/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #365 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
It's usable on the PC platform. Every time I've tried the Win8 Netflix app I've gotten SuperHD speeds on the 23FPS clip. No problems. AFAIK, the PC uses a different server, and that's probably why. I invested in a $5 PC remote.For now I think that will be the road I go. Otherwise if there's something I want to watch on the Canadian servers I will watch it on my BDT220.

I wonder if people are having these problems with real access (without needing Unblock-Us) to SuperHD are having these problems, but it's just they're not savvy enough to know?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #366 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It's usable on the PC platform. Every time I've tried the Win8 Netflix app I've gotten SuperHD speeds on the 23FPS clip. No problems. AFAIK, the PC uses a different server, and that's probably why. I invested in a $5 PC remote.For now I think that will be the road I go. Otherwise if there's something I want to watch on the Canadian servers I will watch it on my BDT220.

I wonder if people are having these problems with real access (without needing Unblock-Us) to SuperHD are having these problems, but it's just they're not savvy enough to know?

well, I stated that I have been having sporadic issues with my NF for a while now....and I have a 50x5 connection. I've tried wired and wireless, different hardware, etc. Thought it was my PS3 at first, then did the same thing on Viera. Takes a while to ramp up to consistency but shaky a lot of times with buffering. Neither VuDu, Hulu, nor Amazon have these issues on the Viera or the PS3. So it didnt surprise me that I couldnt see more than 3800 on Example Short. I know my issues is not with Unblock.
post #367 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know my issues is not with Unblock.

But are you using Unblock? His question is whether people whose ISPs are hooked up to Netflix's Open Connect CDN are having similar problems to those of us using Unblock.

People whose ISPs are hooked into Open Connect get those servers through a direct line from a peering location into their local "last mile" network with no other traffic on it. If their network is big enough it will have Netflix's storage cache appliances in it, giving them an 87% chance of what they want to watch being available locally without having to travel on the Internet backbone a all. I'm guessing that that improves things greatly.

I always get Open Connect stream servers on the PC and TiVo (if I had surround sound on the PC I might well use it; I'm trying to find a cheap HDMI-with-audio graphics card, but I'm having trouble determining whether the cards provide sound over HDMI even if the chipset in the card can do it). Netflix appears to have several platform-specific sets of video encodes (supposedly 120 separate encodes generated per title) though I don't understand why. I'd have thought that they could use a single set of H.264 encodes for all adaptive bit rate player platforms. In any case, those distinct encode types seem to be hosted on different servers so whether you get assigned those readily might depend on that . Shouldn't work that way but this Unblock thing is a kludge.

Whether or not I can run "Example Short 23.976" is a reliable indication of whether the player's been assigned Super HD servers; if it won't play then it hasn't. If it plays I don't have to wait to see whether it'll get up to them since that's a separate issue--if Example Short plays, they're available.
DaveFi likes this.

post #368 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM

Yes, I was using Unblock yesterday. Unblock or not, my issues are still the same. I was able to run "Example Short 23.976" in 2D but the 3D would never work. Once I let NF play for a while, I was able to watch Flying Swords in 3D and it looked great. It just took me a while to get it to play and I dont know if it was 5800 stream. Is 5800 required for 3D?
post #369 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Whether or not I can run "Example Short 23.976" is a reliable indication of whether the player's been assigned Super HD servers; if it won't play then it hasn't. If it plays I don't have to wait to see whether it'll get up to them since that's a separate issue--if Example Short plays, they're available.
Unfortunately this seems to be totally unreliable for me, as I can try to play the 23.976 short and it will only connect 1 out of 100x (much less get over 5800kbps).

As far as HDMI videocards go, I'm pretty good with these things. Ask me and I'll try to answer. Almost all of the ATI cards made in the last few years will bitstream DD+/TrueHD/DTS-HD, and quite a few of the Nvidia cards will also.

post #370 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Liked: 10
not going to read thru 100s of strings here to see if anyone else has noticed this but i am in dayton ohio and i am watching a superhd program as we speak. i have never seen this available until ill today. looks tike time warner has joined the band wagon to allow this. i have twc roadrunner 50mbs plan .. i can tell you it is in no way 1080p quality! looks more like a directv hd channel. but in no way is it 1080p.
post #371 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Unfortunately this seems to be totally unreliable for me, as I can try to play the 23.976 short and it will only connect 1 out of 100x (much less get over 5800kbps).

I'm getting somewhat better than that. Sometimes I have to restart the BDT220 or S390's Netflix players 3 or 4 times before I get servers, so those would not be my first choice. Most of the time I get up to 5800 Kbps and stay there, always on the PC and TiVo. I suppose there's nothing wrong with using the TiVo; it lacks several features of the other PS3-like UI players, like people search, Just for Kids and scroll-by-three in the browser using FF and REW; the last one is the only one I'd actually miss.
Quote:
As far as HDMI videocards go, I'm pretty good with these things. Ask me and I'll try to answer. Almost all of the ATI cards made in the last few years will bitstream DD+/TrueHD/DTS-HD, and quite a few of the Nvidia cards will also.

I was thinking about buying the XFX Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3 ($42 at Amazon--and CA tax now rolleyes.gif--$32 after rebate, if I remember to send it in smile.gif). It reviewed well enough and I don't need power since I don't game on the PC (other than Rocksmith) though I'm sure that having better-than-motherboard graphics won't hurt. The 6450 HD chipset has audio capabilities but nobody advertises that or mentions it in reviews and I can't find a manual or full spec sheet for most of these cards.

Years ago I was heavily into PC gaming and kept close track of CPU, graphics and audio card capabilities but console graphics became good enough for me with Dreamcast (yeah, that long ago biggrin.gif), so I jumped off the never-ending PC upgrade treadmill. I haven't bought a machine that cost more than $500 since and I'm largely clueless about the state of the art.

post #372 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM

I just took the settings out of my router, it just was not connecting reliably. Set my PS3 back up with DNS and for the 1st time got 5800 on Example Short! Immediately put on a 3D title and it has been on X-High/HD ever since. Not sure if that is a better way but I would suggest not configuring your router for DNS...just configure the device you need and see what happens.
post #373 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...just configure the device you need and see what happens.

Not an option for every device (like the Roku); not everything has a DNS setting. I tried it with my Sony BDP-S390 and it wouldn't connect to the network.

post #374 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm getting somewhat better than that. Sometimes I have to restart the BDT220 or S390's Netflix players 3 or 4 times before I get servers, so those would not be my first choice. Most of the time I get up to 5800 Kbps and stay there, always on the PC and TiVo. I suppose there's nothing wrong with using the TiVo; it lacks several features of the other PS3-like UI players, like people search, Just for Kids and scroll-by-three in the browser using FF and REW; the last one is the only one I'd actually miss.
I was thinking about buying the XFX Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3 ($42 at Amazon--and CA tax now rolleyes.gif--$32 after rebate, if I remember to send it in smile.gif). It reviewed well enough and I don't need power since I don't game on the PC (other than Rocksmith) though I'm sure that having better-than-motherboard graphics won't hurt. The 6450 HD chipset has audio capabilities but nobody advertises that or mentions it in reviews and I can't find a manual or full spec sheet for most of these cards.

Years ago I was heavily into PC gaming and kept close track of CPU, graphics and audio card capabilities but console graphics became good enough for me with Dreamcast (yeah, that long ago biggrin.gif), so I jumped off the never-ending PC upgrade treadmill. I haven't bought a machine that cost more than $500 since and I'm largely clueless about the state of the art.
You should be able to bitstream out of a 6450 (you can double check that on the HTPC forum if you want). It's a pretty weak card as far as gaming and such, but it should get the job done. Hell for $30 what do you expect?tongue.gif

The Win8 Netflix app is probably the best thing on the platform. It's neat. Better than the other dedicated platforms. I only wish my PC fans weren't so loud- I guess that's what happens when you have a 3 videocard gaming setup with 5 fans on top of it.eek.gifbiggrin.gif

As far as inputting DNS address directly into PS3/Blu-Ray, etc I was doing that before. It's no better. It's a crap shoot.

post #375 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Have any of you who are seeing reliable connection from the Canadian Servers but unreliable connections to the US servers reported the issue back to them in their support forums.

It would seem to be in their interest to fix it for the US servers if possible.
post #376 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Have any of you who are seeing reliable connection from the Canadian Servers but unreliable connections to the US servers reported the issue back to them in their support forums.

It would seem to be in their interest to fix it for the US servers if possible.
I will do that.

post #377 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I will do that.

great. post a link so we can follow. i am seeing the same inconsistencies like everyone here. My apple tv 3 wont go to 5800, my roku 2 fluctuates too much and only seems to get to 5800 when the audio part of the sample is happening. unblock us seeing the test in this thread should help them troubleshoot.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #378 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

[post destroyed by accident]

post #379 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/en/portal/questions/798579-unreliable-connections-to-us-super-hd-servers?new=798579

post #380 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not so sure that I love its GUI, but its diagnostic screens are very cool; in the Stream Manager display you can tell whether you're getting Super HD or not at a glance for any title.
How do I get to the diagnostics page?

post #381 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How do I get to the diagnostics page?

CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S; you can use it to force it to buffer the bit rate that you want, but if it can't keep up with that it must pause and rebuffer. There's another diag you can get with CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D, but it's less detailed than in the web player (in the web player it shows the framerate of the title). It's interesting to note from the CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D display that I get the 192 Kbps stereo audio when I select the 5.1 track but only 64 Kbps stereo when I select the stereo track; for you the audio bit rate for 5.1 sound should be 384 Kbps.

I ordered that card, BTW, and a 15' HDMI cable, since right now I'm connecting HDMI off my motherboard to a DVI-I PC-specific connector in my panel. It'll be nice to route PC graphics through my AVR so I can see the AVR's overlays like the volume display.

post #382 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 312
That's basically what I've been experiencing with my PS3, I've gone back to my original DNS settings for now. Maybe this will be more reliable soon or Comcast actually goes with Open Connect itself which would be the ideal solution.
post #383 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I signed up for the free trial at Unblock-us and have changed the DNS on my WDTV Live streamer and Apple TV 3.

The WDTV shows the SuperHD logo now. I played Death Race 3 which I haven't seen before but which has DD+ sound. By pushing the option button on the remote I could see it ramp up from Low SD to High/HD in less than 10 seconds. I have to assume High/HD is the highest rate it can achieve since it remained there for a few minutes before I stopped the playback.

On the Apple TV 3 after the DNS change I could not see the SuperHD logo until I noticed there was a firmware update available. After the update it did show the logo but unfortunately Apple is still opting to stay away from DD+ and the same movie only played back in Dolby Digital. On the Apple TV there is no way that I know of to check the playback rate.

I will test out out several TV shows and movies during the trial period before deciding whether it's worth continuing.

This afternoon I went back to the WDTV Live to check the playback and without having changed anything in my setup it is now showing X-High/HD (Super HD) when yesterday it would go no higher than High/HD. I tried 4 different movies including Death Race 3 that showed the Super HD logo and the only difference I notice is that is taking longer to ramp up to X-High/HD ranging from 18 to 34 seconds depending on the movie.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #384 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Precisely--I'm looking for the bare minimum; I wouldn't be adding the card if not for the sound capabilities. (There are cheaper cards with the chipset but I'm afraid of them biggrin.gif).

The HD6450 series support DD+ and HD audio. Only thing I found lacking was it has Dynamic Contrast disabled. That's similar to what the Darbee does that's currently sweeping the home theater world...

post #385 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 PM

How are y'all checking the bit rate for the Roku, etc? Also, is there a way to force the Roku to buffer instead of adjusting the rate as it plays?
post #386 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The HD6450 series support DD+ and HD audio. Only thing I found lacking was it has Dynamic Contrast disabled. That's similar to what the Darbee does that's currently sweeping the home theater world...

Thanks. I've been using motherboard graphics for years (sufficient to web browsing and playing video with VLC, WMP and Zune) so I suspect that it's superior to that smile.gif.

post #387 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, they replied over at Unblock-Us and essentially said it's my problem. So much for that.rolleyes.gif

If anyone else wants to post to the topic I opened on Unblock-Us, go right ahead. Maybe if they do they might understand the issue better that noone is getting SuperHD on US servers, not just me.

post #388 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

HD6450 series support DD+ and HD audio. Only thing I found lacking was it has Dynamic Contrast disabled...
You just have to click the first checkbox to get access to the Dynamic Contrast box. Mine was enabled by default, but I quickly turned it off. It's horrible, unless you're on some sort of psychedelic drug trip.
post #389 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Well, they replied over at Unblock-Us and essentially said it's my problem. So much for that.rolleyes.gif

If anyone else wants to post to the topic I opened on Unblock-Us, go right ahead. Maybe if they do they might understand the issue better that noone is getting SuperHD on US servers, not just me.

I just got Super HD on Example Short 23.976 on US servers all the way from Finland through unlblock-us. This is on PS3. The newest version of the app however says that it is High/SD but that seems to be a bug from what I've read and based on the video saying 5800kbps.
post #390 of 1919 Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I posted a reply to that thread on Unblock-US' forum.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page