post #451 of 1922 Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Damnit! I've discovered that even though you might get a connection to the Super HD US servers on dedicated devices, they will often disconnect at the end of a movie/stream. This is a real pain if you want to watch a multi-episode show. You can test this by running the test clip after watching a few streams.

I wish there was a way to fix all these problems so it actually worked well on dedicated devices off the US server.frown.gif
I noticed this tonight when I watched 2 episodes of House of Cards, the first ep was the SuperHD encode(High/SD-PS3) but the second ep was the regular HD encode(High/HD-PS3) which would indicate it had disconnected from the SuperHD source and went with the normal CDN feed on the second episode. It took 5 tries just to get connected correctly the first time around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1922 Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My connections last night (through Unblock-us) were just as puzzling. I watched a Netflix SuperHD tagged movie on my WDTV Live and it only got to High/HD and stayed there. After it was over I decided to watch an episode of The Killing (also SuperHD) and it started and ended on X-High/HD. If anyone can explain this behavior I'm all ears.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #453 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

My connections last night (through Unblock-us) were just as puzzling. I watched a Netflix SuperHD tagged movie on my WDTV Live and it only got to High/HD and stayed there. After it was over I decided to watch an episode of The Killing (also SuperHD) and it started and ended on X-High/HD. If anyone can explain this behavior I'm all ears.

Dont know what to say except its unreliable. FWIW, I have watched about 3 or 4 titles in 3D and have had good results...when it works...but as mentioned previously, you have to make sure you are assigned to their servers by playing "Example Short 23.976". When I get the stream, I go to the 3D title and play. The frustrating part about this is...you have to watch it all the way through and even sometimes that doesnt work if the stream disconnects. Every time I have stopped playback, it has lost the stream and you have to repeat the process over again...which last night took me about 4 tries (backing out of NF app). I watched "Mummies: IMAX" doc all the way through in 3D and it was beautiful. FYI, my menu now shows 3D catagory, so it was easier for me to find titles....there are quite a few and more than people think, I suspect.
post #454 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by synistr View Post

Dont know what to say except its unreliable. FWIW, I have watched about 3 or 4 titles in 3D and have had good results...when it works...but as mentioned previously, you have to make sure you are assigned to their servers by playing "Example Short 23.976". When I get the stream, I go to the 3D title and play. The frustrating part about this is...you have to watch it all the way through and even sometimes that doesnt work if the stream disconnects. Every time I have stopped playback, it has lost the stream and you have to repeat the process over again...which last night took me about 4 tries (backing out of NF app). I watched "Mummies: IMAX" doc all the way through in 3D and it was beautiful. FYI, my menu now shows 3D catagory, so it was easier for me to find titles....there are quite a few and more than people think, I suspect.

What device are you using that gets the 3D on the menu?

lujan
697 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #455 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

What device are you using that gets the 3D on the menu?

I am using the PS3. I am not sure if it is a viewer specific category based on viewing habits or if its a preset category. I went through and started adding every 3D title I could find to my que and last night I went through all the categories and it had 3D, some titles were in there that I didn't search for or know that they were in 3D.
post #456 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

I am using the PS3. I am not sure if it is a viewer specific category based on viewing habits or if its a preset category. I went through and started adding every 3D title I could find to my que and last night I went through all the categories and it had 3D, some titles were in there that I didn't search for or know that they were in 3D.

I use either the Panasonic BDT-500 or the TiVo Premiere. Don't know if the 3D menu is available yet?

lujan
697 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #457 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

I tried last night and the "Example Short 23.976" wouldn't get above 1750kbps and there's nothing wrong with my Internet connection. It's too bad this method is not more reliable.
post #458 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I use either the Panasonic BDT-500 or the TiVo Premiere. Don't know if the 3D menu is available yet?

3D is not available yet on those platforms, only PS3 and some LG 3D HDTVs.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #459 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I tried last night and the "Example Short 23.976" wouldn't get above 1750kbps and there's nothing wrong with my Internet connection. It's too bad this method is not more reliable.

It must be the area or your ISP. I have Cablevision here in Jersey. I'm using wifi and I never run lower then 3000kps.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #460 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I posted in detail at the Unblock site the problems I am having with reception. Here is their last reply, which pretty much states US users are going to have to suffer if they want to try and use Super HD:

Quote:
Our service only works to allow you to access sites that normally you are not allowed to access if you are outside the country where it is located like netflix or PAndora or hulu.

When you are able to access the netflix servers, we step aside and your ISP connects directly to the servers. Whatever speed you get with netflix will depend on the server that you are trying to connect to.

And what you were doing is the correct way to to do it, try and try until you succeed. Once your internet was able to get through to a good server, you are able to access the SuperHD almost right away after that.

If there is anything else you need, please let us know.

Here is the complete thread:

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/questions/802121-erratic-netflix-superhd-connection
post #461 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

It must be the area or your ISP. I have Cablevision here in Jersey. I'm using wifi and I never run lower then 3000kps.

Ian
It did seem a bit odd as I've never really had any issue with Netflix streaming, Comcast is my provider with 16/2 service, but after 2 tries and no joy I said the heck with it and watched regular TV. I'll give it another try Weds evening, tonight though it's Fat Tuesday in the Fillmore! biggrin.gif
post #462 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

Once your internet was able to get through to a good server, you are able to access the SuperHD almost right away after that.

what kills me is that if you are playing a title and you stop it, you have to repeat the process to get the stream again. I would think once your app is open and connected to those servers, it should stay connected until exiting the app.
Quote:

try and try again...it will work. I actually know when its going to work and when its not now...smile.gif if it starts at like between 1000-3800kbs, surprisingly this is when it wont work. if I play Example Short and it starts at 375kbs, then I KNOW its gonna work. it usually climbs rapidly from there up to 5800kbs
post #463 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I posted in detail at the Unblock site the problems I am having with reception. Here is their last reply, which pretty much states US users are going to have to suffer if they want to try and use Super HD:
Quote:
And what you were doing is the correct way to to do it, try and try until you succeed. Once your internet was able to get through to a good server, you are able to access the SuperHD almost right away after that.

Wow. Just...wow. Well, at least they're willing to be honest about it biggrin.gif.

post #464 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Has anyone been able to view the example short in 3D? Since the other day I always get a 3D option when viewing from the PS3, but then it says the stream is not available.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #465 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Has anyone been able to view the example short in 3D? Since the other day I always get a 3D option when viewing from the PS3, but then it says the stream is not available.

not once. wonder why?
post #466 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 65
did i miss a list of devices that does 3d? does a list exist?

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #467 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quote:
Once your internet was able to get through to a good server, you are able to access the SuperHD almost right away after that.

But there seems to be different levels of "good" among the SuperHD servers. Why would that be?

Also I noticed that when I log into Netflix with Unblock the movies always show the SuperHD logo, even in those cases where I cannot access SuperHD. That also is confusing to me.
post #468 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Here are a couple more tidbits from Unblock:

Have you set up our service on your computer? Basically you will need to have at least one computer working and running with our service to make sure your other device will work properly. It needs to be working on a computer first or we can't get the information we need from the "check service" to allow your device to make connection to us.

Again remember to check service on your computer. The service must be working in your computer first otherwise, the service will not work properly on your other devices.
post #469 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Unless you want to be frustrated to hell, I find for me, Unblock is only really good for PC use and general use to Canada. That's it.

Not sure why it doesn't work to US Netflix SuperHD servers properly when it works fine to the PC ones, but there you go.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #470 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The ps3 client now shows 720 and 1080 HD instead of the high and med. very interesting. I'll have to see what it does for superhd.
post #471 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

The ps3 client now shows 720 and 1080 HD instead of the high and med. very interesting. I'll have to see what it does for superhd.

When it gets to 4300 Kbps it says "1080p Super HD" . Cool cool.gif. (Of course, they haven't fixed the time counter rolleyes.gif). Hopefully they'll make that switch for other devices with that indicator (they have not for the Sony BDP-S390 as yet).

post #472 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

When it gets to 4300 Kbps it says "1080p Super HD" . Cool cool.gif. (Of course, they haven't fixed the time counter rolleyes.gif). Hopefully they'll make that switch for other devices with that indicator (they have not for the Sony BDP-S390 as yet).

Now Unblock should get a flood of posts saying they're not getting SuperHD (to which of course they'll respond it's their connection speed).tongue.gif

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #473 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

So was the update on the PS3 an updated Netflix app or did the PS3 have to update it's software? Or was no update needed for the change?

EDIT: So I see the change was automatic. But when it shows it's playing 1080 Super HD is it really playing it?
I only ask because I tried playing ten titles. Every title showed as 1080 Super HD playing. This is the first time I've been able to play a bunch of titles and it played the Super HD bitrate on each one. Usually at least half, it not more of them would not reach the Super HD bitrate, using UnBlock US, on the first try. But tonight, for some reason, every title I've tried has ramped up quickly to Super HD.

EDIT: Or is it because I paid unBlock-US $5 last night?

LED DLP

post #474 of 1922 Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So was the update on the PS3 an updated Netflix app or did the PS3 have to update it's software? Or was no update needed for the change?

The update was made in the HTML5 code. They can and have completely change the look and feel of the UI by changing the HTML5 code which they download every time you start the app up.

I'm certain that it's playing one of the Super HD encodes when it says Super HD. Now there's one "384 SD", two "480 SD", two "720p HD", one "1080p HD" and two "1080p Super HD" encodes. (Some titles still have 235-, 375- and 750 Kbps encodes; I'm sure it shows the horizontal rez and "SD" for those). I'm curious--what does the indicator say when you're playing a 3D title?

I doubt that you're getting better service because you paid your first $5--I did it a few days ago with no perceptible change biggrin.gif.

post #475 of 1922 Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:

The update was made in the HTML5 code. They can and have completely change the look and feel of the UI by changing the HTML5 code which they download every time you start the app up.

I'm certain that it's playing one of the Super HD encodes when it says Super HD. Now there's one "384 SD", two "480 SD", two "720p HD", one "1080p HD" and two "1080p Super HD" encodes. (Some titles still have 235-, 375- and 750 Kbps encodes; I'm sure it shows the horizontal rez and "SD" for those). I'm curious--what does the indicator say when you're playing a 3D title?

I doubt that you're getting better service because you paid your first $5--I did it a few days ago with no perceptible change biggrin.gif.

Correct, my indicator read the same way and I paid days ago as well..so no change in service.

I watched a couple titles in 3D since the change and they said 720P. (BTW, Immortals looks really good in 3D) Also, whenever I get the SuperHD streams it rarely says X-High/HD. Most of the time it says High/HD and sometimes its stuck on High/SD (noticeably the stream is higher quality than that)
post #476 of 1922 Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I forgot to check out the 3D titles last night to see what it showed. After I check out a bunch of SuperHD streams I watched a couple of SuperHD titles in my queue and forgot all about checking the 3D out

I also checked out some other things on the PS3, like Amazon streaming and remembered why I had stopped using the PS3 before. Their Amazon app blows for audio playback. Any title I played from Amazon , whether the audio was in stereo or 5.1 it was always sent in a 7.1 wrapper. I'm glad that the Netflix app on the PS3 sends the audio out of the PS3 correctly. I'll keep using the PS3 for Netflix and use the Roku2 for Amazon. I haven't looked at Vudu and Hulu again on the PS3 to see of those send out the audio correctly.

LED DLP

post #477 of 1922 Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I told you that they would show the numbers but why is the time counter still broken?

Also if 384 SD really is what Low/SD is then it is wrong as it looks as bad as some 80s commercials I downloaded at 320x240.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #478 of 1922 Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 10
Like many on this thread, I've seen pretty uneven results with Unblock-US (my Internet is Verizon FIOS at 15/5) so far. I do have a couple of questions:

1. Should it / does it make a difference where you change the DNS settings? So far I've only changed them in my BDP (Sony BDP-S590).
2. When I manually configure IP settings in my BPD, it asks if I'm using a proxy server. I say "no" since there's nothing in the Unblock-US setup that mentions configuring a proxy. Correct?
3. Does anyone have a rational explanation as to why you would sometimes have to disconnect/reconnect several times before you're able to access the 5800k content? It almost seems like performance somehow correlates to server load and their load balancers maybe aren't working properly. If you happen to connect to a server that is not over-taxed, you get good performance; not so much if you happen to connect to a heavily loaded server.

Based on the uneven results from Unblock-US, I'd be curious to know if those whose ISPs are already connected to the OpenConnect CDN (and thus they don't need to go through a secondary resource such as Unblock-US to access the 5800kbps content) are also experiencing these inconsistent results. That might indicate whether the issue is a Netflix issue or an Unblock-US issue.

I have a few more days on my trial but thus far I am underwhelmed with the Unblock-US service, although for the times SuperHD has actually *worked* I've been very pleased with the quality. Also, when it's worked, it's worked uninterrupted for long stretches of time. Really makes me wonder how Unblock-US's network is configured and also how the Netflix CDN is configured. I'm having coffee tomorrow morning to discuss a position with a company that does network and application optimization, so he may be able to shed some light on this as well.
post #479 of 1922 Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I watched a couple titles in 3D since the change and they said 720P. (BTW, Immortals looks really good in 3D) Also, whenever I get the SuperHD streams it rarely says X-High/HD. Most of the time it says High/HD and sometimes its stuck on High/SD (noticeably the stream is higher quality than that)

Is it still saying "High/HD" on your PS3 instead of "1080p HD"? Before the recent change it was saying "High/HD" for 3800 Kbps and "High/SD" for the two Super HD encodes at 4300 Kbps and 5800 Kbps. Now it says "1080p HD" for 3800 Kbps and "1080p Super HD" for 4300 Kbps and 5800 Kbps.

post #480 of 1922 Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Is it still saying "High/HD" on your PS3 instead of "1080p HD"? Before the recent change it was saying "High/HD" for 3800 Kbps and "High/SD" for the two Super HD encodes at 4300 Kbps and 5800 Kbps. Now it says "1080p HD" for 3800 Kbps and "1080p Super HD" for 4300 Kbps and 5800 Kbps.

No, it gives the res, but I just noticed the change yesterday and I watched 2 titles and parts of one (all in 3D). On the 5800 it said 720P for all of them on the PS3. I havent done any SuperHD since the change yet but will try today.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page