5Likes

post #631 of 1920 Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

i dusted off the boxee tv and tried super hd with unblock us and i can say that i can constantly get super hd, it never fails. i still cant get it on the apple tv 3 and barely on the roku.

I want to add that I can get SuperHD everytime as well with Unblock in most regions. One of the regions doesnt though, cant remember which one. My problem with Unblock is, 3D isnt automatic....I have to play with it (although not as much as before, I dont use Example Short anymore nor to I back out of NF, just let NF play and ramp up to 1080 and 3D titles will then play) I have zero issues with SuperHD on the PS3 through Unblock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1920 Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 551
So it's possible that they are improving things. I thought that there was a possibility because I'd gotten connections on a few devices that I tried this morning first time, but when I tried again the Netflix players wouldn't even start. Again, downrightnow.com is indicating that Netflix might be having problems right now.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #633 of 1920 Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You tried killing and restarting it several times? If so, Boxee joins TiVo Premiere and the Win8 Netflix app as always-connect-to-Open-Connect-using-Unblock-US devices.

Yes, until netflix went down.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #634 of 1920 Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:

Was it possible to play the download? If so, what resolution was output?

BTW, when you play 3D Netflix titles on the PS3, what does it say in the stream info overlay? "720 HD 3D" or something like that?

My TV reported getting 720P 3D from the PS3 when playing back the downloaded HDX demo. And when I play back the 3D titles from Netflix the info overlay shows 720 HD or something like that. Although I didn't look at that yesterday, but everytime I played 3D before from Netflix that is what it showed.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #635 of 1920 Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

My TV reported getting 720P 3D from the PS3 when playing back the downloaded HDX demo.

This would indicate that the PS3 may be down-converting VUDU's 1080p 3D encode on output. If it can't output 1080p it would never ask Netflix for a 1080p 3D encode, just as it doesn't ask for 1080p 2D encodes if you set the display output resolution to 720p.

EDIT: Poking around, it looks as though the PS3 can output 1080p 3D and does so for 3D BD playback, but they limit 3D output of games to 720p to keep developers from creating games that run at crappy framerates (when it's output BD video it's not doing anything else, whereas games have a ton of other things going on concurrently). No doubt the Netflix and VUDU players only have the same graphics APIs available to them as game developers do.

"
" -- hookbill
post #636 of 1920 Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Netflix came back and I just checked the reliability of getting Super HD for me with Unblock-US set to the US region. I got 4 in 10 tries on the Roku and BDT220, 2 in 10 tries on the PS3 and 10 in 10 tries on the TiVo Premiere and Win8 Netflix app. Nothing's improved for me.

"
" -- hookbill
post #637 of 1920 Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:

This would indicate that the PS3 may be down-converting VUDU's 1080p 3D encode on output. If it can't output 1080p it would never ask Netflix for a 1080p 3D encode, just as it doesn't ask for 1080p 2D encodes if you set the display output resolution to 720p.

EDIT: Poking around, it looks as though the PS3 can output 1080p 3D and does so for 3D BD playback, but they limit 3D output of games to 720p to keep developers from creating games that run at crappy framerates (when it's output BD video it's not doing anything else, whereas games have a ton of other things going on concurrently). No doubt the Netflix and VUDU players only have the same graphics APIs available to them as game developers do.

Yes, I never had a problem getting 1080P 3D from a 3D BD with the PS3. It has only been an issue from the apps. And I don't play any games on the PS3 so I never looked at that.

I downloaded the two tangled Demos in 720P HD from VUDU. They were 36.2 MB and 21.8 MB.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #638 of 1920 Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I downloaded the two tangled Demos in 720P HD from VUDU. They were 36.2 MB and 21.8 MB.

Which would seem to prove that you're getting HDX 1080p 3D from VUDU and the PS3 is just down-converting it to 720p for output.

I can't get the file sizes to make any sense. Demo #1 is 2 minutes long; 72.1 MB * 8 = 576.8 Mbits / 120 seconds = 4.8 Mbps. Even if it were not really 2 minutes--even if it were 1 minute--it wouldn't equal 3 bar VUDU 2D's 9 Mbps.

"
" -- hookbill
post #639 of 1920 Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are you all able to get SuperHD (heck, even HD!) quality from other regions? Maybe it's easier in Canada, but I tried Finland, Sweden, and Denmark the other night and it barely stayed on High/SD let alone HD. I was wanting to rewatch Veronica Mars and only have the DVDs. Seeing it in HD would have been nice smile.gif. I also wanted to see Justified.
post #640 of 1920 Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Are you all able to get SuperHD (heck, even HD!) quality from other regions? Maybe it's easier in Canada, but I tried Finland, Sweden, and Denmark the other night and it barely stayed on High/SD let alone HD. I was wanting to rewatch Veronica Mars and only have the DVDs. Seeing it in HD would have been nice smile.gif. I also wanted to see Justified.

if its any help, amazon prime just got Justified in the US http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/26/4031472/amazon-prime-video-justified-exclusive-and-the-shield

also, moreflicks.com now also searches bbc iplayer.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
post #641 of 1920 Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I get SuperHD across all regions with no problem except for Canada I believe. That one gets stuck on SD.
post #642 of 1920 Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

My TV reported getting 720P 3D from the PS3 when playing back the downloaded HDX demo. And when I play back the 3D titles from Netflix the info overlay shows 720 HD or something like that. Although I didn't look at that yesterday, but everytime I played 3D before from Netflix that is what it showed.

So does the PS3 not upconvert the video? Every time I look at my tv's info it says 1080p, so I'm assuming that the Roku is upconverting whatever it's getting from Netflix.
post #643 of 1920 Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post

So does the PS3 not upconvert the video? Every time I look at my tv's info it says 1080p, so I'm assuming that the Roku is upconverting whatever it's getting from Netflix.

Sure the PS3 up-converts to the output resolution that you set. But in the case of 3D video, it can only output 720p. I think that the reason for this is that the PS3 limits 3D video output from games to 720p and that network VOD apps like Netflix and VUDU have to use the same resolution limited API.

"
" -- hookbill
post #644 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Generally I am sticking with my usual OpenDNS Servers - but I still have my unblock-us account for this month so I thought I would try using it tonight.

As before I am using a Roku 2 XS on a Comcast 20 Mbps account. Netflix set for US region

Tonight I can play the 'example short' but it never goes above 3850 kbps based on the overlay (looking at my router I can see it start at 20+Mbps and then go down to an average of around 4 Mbps over 10 minutes) - previously when I have been able to play the example short it normally went to 5800 kbps on the overlay.

I tried playing a House of Card Episode - but again the average over 10 minutes suggests the 3850 stream - so at least for me for tonight it doesn't seem like the unblock-us DNS gives any benefit.

Vudu Speed test using both OpenDNS and unblock-us DNS both showed around 23Mbps download speeds.

Edit - it looks like I can still play the 'example short' when using OpenDNS/Comcast so it seems this is no longer a test of whether you are connected to the Netflix SuperHD servers.
post #645 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Edit - it looks like I can still play the 'example short' when using OpenDNS/Comcast so it seems this is no longer a test of whether you are connected to the Netflix SuperHD servers.

Oh well--it was a test based on a bug; I figured they'd fix it sooner or later. (Reminds me of the old Let the Right One In test for 1080p. It's a film in Swedish with burned in English subs which alternated between the top and bottom; in the 1080p encode the top subs were cut off if they dipped into the picture. They "fixed" it by eliminating the 1080p encode biggrin.gif).

I suppose the only way to test now is by playing "Example Short" to see if it gets over 3850 Kbps, or by checking out the connections in your router's admin console.

"
" -- hookbill
post #646 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Oh well--it was a test based on a bug; I figured they'd fix it sooner or later. (Reminds me of the old Let the Right One In test for 1080p. It's a film in Swedish with burned in English subs which alternated between the top and bottom; in the 1080p encode the top subs were cut off if they dipped into the picture. They "fixed" it by eliminating the 1080p encode biggrin.gif).

I suppose the only way to test now is by playing "Example Short" to see if it gets over 3850 Kbps, or by checking out the connections in your router's admin console.
Well, I can't do that in mine as my router doesn't show such info. I was fooling around with it and I figure this:

1. Either it connects at SuperHD bandwidths only when the test clip registers 4300kbps or higher
or
2. It connects at SuperHD bandwidth all the time now.

To check the later someone with such a router (ie: Tomato firmware, etc.) will need to do a bit of testing. I figure it's still the former on the US servers, but it's worth a check.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #647 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Okay--I'll do some checking (I view the Tomato console in Chrome on my Nexus 7). Sadly, when they fixed that "Example Short" problem they added back the 235-, 375- and 750 Kbps encodes so in many players it takes a significantly longer time to get up to the higher bit rates. I was hoping that they were going to remove them from every title; if you can't get 560 Kbps in your available bandwidth (takes about 675 Kbps sustained) you should give it up.

"
" -- hookbill
post #648 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just because you connect to nflixvideo doesn't mean you get superhd necessarily. I get those with Netflix a lot through TWC and no Super HD.
post #649 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just because you connect to nflixvideo doesn't mean you get superhd necessarily. I get those with Netflix a lot through TWC and no Super HD.

It means that the Super HD encodes are available to you; it doesn't guarantee that you'll get the bandwidth necessary to play them on your connections to Netflix's servers. Nothing guarantees that you'll have the necessary bandwidth to get to the non-Super-HD encodes even when not connected to Open Connect servers.

I tried playing "Example Short" on my Roku with Unblock DNS addresses set in my router with region set to "USA" and didn't get connected to Open Connect servers every time; I don't feel like I need to check any more devices.
DaveFi likes this.

"
" -- hookbill
post #650 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

What do you see if go here https://signup.netflix.com/superhd
post #651 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

What do you see if go here https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

Does it say Your Internet Provider is ready for Super HD!?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #652 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I tried playing "Example Short" on my Roku with Unblock DNS addresses set in my router with region set to "USA" and didn't get connected to Open Connect servers every time; I don't feel like I need to check any more devices.
That's odd. On the PS3 and BDP220 I've connected to the test clip consistently all day today.

post #653 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

That's odd. On the PS3 and BDP220 I've connected to the test clip consistently all day today.

Unfortunately, as we were discussing earlier, that test is broken because they fixed the bug which made it impossible to play "Example Short 23.976" when not streaming through Open Connect servers. Now you have to watch and see if the clip gets up to 4300 Kbps or look at a list of connections in your router to see if the device has some on servers in the nflxvideo.net domain.

"
" -- hookbill
post #654 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What if your ISP supports Open Connect for Super HD and you use OpenDNS or Google DNS do you still get the Super HD content?

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #655 of 1920 Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

What if your ISP supports Open Connect for Super HD and you use OpenDNS or Google DNS do you still get the Super HD content?

Yes you do, but the players don't get assigned Open Connect servers every time you run them. You have to check and then kill the player and restart it if you didn't get assigned Open Connect server. (On every platform except TiVo Premiere and the Win8 Netflix app, which always get connected to OC servers).

EDIT: I'm sorry, I misread your post. I thought that you were asking whether, if your ISP supported Open Connect and you used the Unblock-US DNS servers you'd still get Super HD. Using OpenDNS or Google Public DNS I get Open Connect servers every time on every device. I commonly use OpenDNS.

"
" -- hookbill
post #656 of 1920 Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

Yes you do, but the players don't get assigned Open Connect servers every time you run them. You have to check and then kill the player and restart it if you didn't get assigned Open Connect server. (On every platform except TiVo Premiere and the Win8 Netflix app, which always get connected to OC servers).

EDIT: I'm sorry, I misread your post. I thought that you were asking whether, if your ISP supported Open Connect and you used the Unblock-US DNS servers you'd still get Super HD. Using OpenDNS or Google Public DNS I get Open Connect servers every time on every device. I commonly use OpenDNS.

I think you should change your handle to "The Netflix Guy" cool.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #657 of 1920 Old 03-03-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I think you should change your handle to "The Netflix Guy" cool.gif

It's been several years since I worked in wireless telecomm, so I should probably think up something new. Streaming A/V is my strong tech interest now so maybe some pun around "streaming" or "stream". I'll think about it smile.gif.

EDIT: Okay--I picked one. How's that biggrin.gif?

"
" -- hookbill
post #658 of 1920 Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

At least with the SuperHD moniker it's easy to tell what's 1080p and what's not. For instance, almost all anime is plain HD, meaning it's 720p (or mostly upscaled SD).

post #659 of 1920 Old 03-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 10
The good news is my ISP is connected to the Netflix CDN for Super HD and I verified that am getting 5800 kbps 1080P (Super HD) on my Roku 2 XS when I play the 'example short 23.976' clip on Netflix (after the annoying * 22 seconds or so of wait before Netflix adaptive streaming kicks in on the Roku and bumps the bitrate up). Older Roku models don't have adaptive streaming.

Hopefully Roku and Netflix will work to release an update soon to get 'Super HD' logo / label added for Roku units on the movie description page for Netflix movies that support it.
A others stated, it should not take this long to get it added when it has bee implemented for a while on other Netflix-capable devices (Smart TV's e.g.).

I also had to buy a BDT220 for use with my Sherwood Newcastle R-973 receiver since I could not get output Netflix movies when playing Netflix DD Plus (5.1) titles using my Roku (seems to be a known issue since another user here with the same combo (Roku and R-973) could not get it to work despite extensive effort (checking every possible combination of options).
The Netflix homepage appear and my TV reports it is getting 1080P but as soon as I try to play a 5.1 Netflix movie the sound doesn't work.

My Panasonic BDT210 BD player does play DD Plus titles through the R-973 (i.e. both video and audio work), BUT the BDT210 does not support 1080P Netflix!
I ordered a BDT220 to get around the Roku + R-973 issue and to get the benefits of 'Super HD'.

* Annoying as in this happens for every movie instead of the unit smartly remembering my bandwidth the last time I played a movie and / or checking my speed at movie / Netflix app startup).
post #660 of 1920 Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia1z View Post

(after the annoying * 22 seconds or so of wait before Netflix adaptive streaming kicks in on the Roku and bumps the bitrate up).

* Annoying as in this happens for every movie instead of the unit smartly remembering my bandwidth the last time I played a movie and / or checking my speed at movie / Netflix app startup).

I think what might be happening is that the player starts at the lowest available bit rate to get something on the screen quickly. It's quickly read many seconds worth of content at that bit rate and somehow seems to feel obligated to play all of it though it start buffering higher quality stuff few seconds after it the start. When it starts buffering better stuff it should start it at the current playing time code and just jump into it after it's buffered a little of it and continue in that fashion. The way it is, the higher the bandwidth on your connections to the server the more you'll suffer because it'll buffer more in that initial rush.

I'd agree that, within a session, it should start the next title you play at or near the speed that it managed for the previous title. I've actually seen the PS3 player do this, though rarely.

What's your ISP?

"
" -- hookbill
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page