post #811 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

^^^

Personally, I've compared the standard HD to the Super HD and they both look great on my wife's Windows 8 PC and my Panny PDP. The difference is negligible, at least to me. I go to Blu-Ray for block buster titles, and I have to agree, that Deadfall babe is amazing. wink.gif

Ian
On a 67" Samsung DLP, I do see a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Super HD is yesterday's news guys.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/14/4104128/netflix-house-of-cards-shot-4k
Quote:
Netflix wants to stream 'House of Cards' in 4K later this year

Netflix's Neil Hunt believes 4K content "will likely be streamed first before it goes anywhere else" and it seems the company's original smash hit series House of Cards was produced with just that in mind. In outlining plans to deliver ultra high-def content to Netflix subscribers within the next year or two, Hunt confirmed to The Verge that House of Cards was filmed in 4K from the start. "Our own original House of Cards was shot in 4K," he said. "It's being mastered in full HD, but the raw footage, or a good chunk of it, was shot in 4K, and we hope to have some House of Cards 4K encodes later this year."

The news isn't entirely surprising: David Fincher — who directed the first two episodes — is a big advocate of the format. His motion pictures The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo were both shot in 4K, and Fincher has outlined plans to stick with the resolution for his future projects. Still, recording in 4K no doubt contributed to the massive investment Netflix made in House of Cards. It seems those lucky enough to own a 4K set won't need to wait long to see that commitment pay off.

Also: Netflix Chief Product Officer: expect 4K streaming within a year or two

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #813 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post

On a 67" Samsung DLP, I do see a difference.

The bigger the screen the more noticeable the extra detail will be, especially with projection formats. That is why we are now seeing 4K in many of these type of TV's.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #814 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 PM

If it really happens, that should help the adoption of 4K televisions sooner. It will still be a long way to have the bandwidth and download cap required for routine 4K streaming for average users. But, then again future may hold a pleasant surprise.
post #815 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Windows 7 only supports stereo rather than 5.1 audio. But given that the solution is relatively inexpensive, in the form of a media player such as the WDTV Live SMP, Roku etc., it's not worth getting too upset about in my view.

Yeah except I just sold my WDTV live because it didn't do any of the things I needed it to (no support of flac despite it saying so)... I built a HTPC, a very powerful one... And what? It's worse than the WDTV Live because Netflix doesn't properly support it?

I have a $300 graphics card in there and an ivy bridge i5. My hardware will do it, Netflix won't
post #816 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteos View Post

Yeah except I just sold my WDTV live because it didn't do any of the things I needed it to (no support of flac despite it saying so)... I built a HTPC, a very powerful one... And what? It's worse than the WDTV Live because Netflix doesn't properly support it?

I have a $300 graphics card in there and an ivy bridge i5. My hardware will do it, Netflix won't

I bought my WDTV live purely for streaming Netflix. I have a HTPC running windows 7 which limits Netflix, via the website, to a 3000kbps video stream and stereo audio. I still think the price of the WDTV is very reasonable, even though it's only use is to give me a higher quality video stream and 5.1 audio from Netflix.

I watch ripped DVDs and listen to music rips via my HTPC.
post #817 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:

If you have spent so much on the HTPC, would you be averse to upgrading to Windows 8? Netflix app for Win8 not only works well, but almost always gets superhd streaming.
post #818 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Liked: 11
I spent a good 15 minutes thinking Comcast was giving me connection problems again before I thought to default my DNS settings. Looks like the UnblockUS DNS servers are down right now.
post #819 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:

Yeah except I just sold my WDTV live because it didn't do any of the things I needed it to (no support of flac despite it saying so)...

I recently bought both a WD TV Play and a factory refurb WD TV Live for about the same price--the Play, while having a slightly nicer UI, is going back. I really like the Live a lot. Its Netflix player, while not having the snappiest browser navigation, has the stream information overlay that I posted a picture of a few posts back; I really like being able to see what picture quality level I'm getting (is this a bad transfer or am I just stuck on a lousy encode?). It can also turn subtitles/captions on and off with a button on the remote (cycling through multiple subs if present). I wouldn't ever use it for streaming sound so no FLAC isn't a problem for me. It's the best video file streaming device that I have, able to handle anything I've thrown at it, which the Play was not. Four years back I was using a desktop which wasn't fast enough to play 1080p video files, so I was streaming them via DLNA to my PS3. I took a bunch of MKVs with DTS sound, which the PS3 couldn't handle via DLNA, and converted them using mkv2vob into .mpg files with 2 channel PCM which, when output by the PS3, hit the AVR as DTS. The files have been unplayable on anything other than the PS3 until now; the Live plays them properly. If it had an Amazon player it'd be nearly perfect smile.gif.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #820 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermeslyre View Post

I spent a good 15 minutes thinking Comcast was giving me connection problems again before I thought to default my DNS settings. Looks like the UnblockUS DNS servers are down right now.

Not for me--maybe they're back.

post #821 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I recently bought both a WD TV Play and a factory refurb WD TV Live for about the same price--the Play, while having a slightly nicer UI, is going back. I really like the Live a lot. Its Netflix player, while not having the snappiest browser navigation, has the stream information overlay that I posted a picture of a few posts back; I really like being able to see what picture quality level I'm getting (is this a bad transfer or am I just stuck on a lousy encode?). It can also turn subtitles/captions on and off with a button on the remote (cycling through multiple subs if present). I wouldn't ever use it for streaming sound so no FLAC isn't a problem for me. It's the best video file streaming device that I have, able to handle anything I've thrown at it, which the Play was not. Four years back I was using a desktop which wasn't fast enough to play 1080p video files, so I was streaming them via DLNA to my PS3. I took a bunch of MKVs with DTS sound, which the PS3 couldn't handle via DLNA, and converted them using mkv2vob into .mpg files with 2 channel PCM which, when output by the PS3, hit the AVR as DTS. The files have been unplayable on anything other than the PS3 until now; the Live plays them properly. If it had an Amazon player it'd be nearly perfect smile.gif.
I too have been impressed with the file formats it will handle in a DLNA setup streaming from a PC, the PS3 would choke on some of the format/combos/size of some material whereas the WDTV Live just motors on like nobody's business.
post #822 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermeslyre View Post

Same here. The Setup App I have installed signaled (from it's toolbar icon) that connection was lost, and it's Network diagnostic shows it can't reach the DNS.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #823 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Same here. The Setup App I have installed signaled (from it's toolbar icon) that connection was lost, and it's Network diagnostic shows it can't reach the DNS.

I'm still not having any problems with it. Must be regional.

post #824 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Reps over at Unblock gave us some new DNS numbers to use till they figure out what's up, for those that are having problems. Gotta change back to the default ones after they fix them, as these are just temporary though. I'll wait to see if it's a quick fix.

post #825 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That 67.23.7.56 address is new, but I have to plug the 184.106.242.193 in as tertiary DNS server in my router (along with 208.122.23.22 and 208.122.23.23 as primary and secondary) to get it acknowledge that I'm properly set up. Maybe that's why it's working for me--it's falling back to the tertiary DNS.

post #826 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Hi Michael, You seem to be in the know for a lot of things. May I ask which router you use that lets you put in tertiary DNS, monitor the stream quality etc. I am not sure if I can change but I would like to know if possible, down the road when an opportunity arises. In addition to the special router you have is there any other hardware needed?
post #827 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi Michael, You seem to be in the know for a lot of things. May I ask which router you use that lets you put in tertiary DNS, monitor the stream quality etc. I am not sure if I can change but I would like to know if possible, down the road when an opportunity arises. In addition to the special router you have is there any other hardware needed?

My router is a venerable old Linksys WRT54G, but it's the Tomato open source firmware that I run in it which gives it the capabilities that I love. The originator of Tomato seems to have stopped developing it, so I didn't think that I could get it to run in a more contemporary wireless router, but I see that development of it has marched on in other hands. I'm thinking of getting the reasonably priced Asus RT-N16 and running a more recent, more powerful version of Tomato in it to give me wireless N capability.

post #828 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I never changed my UNBlock-US DNS IP addresses and I see I'm still getting the SuperHD streams.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #829 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

If you have spent so much on the HTPC, would you be averse to upgrading to Windows 8? Netflix app for Win8 not only works well, but almost always gets superhd streaming.

You see the thing is I harbour a very deep resentment towards M$. I hate them, you see they sold me two xboxes which both broke due to poor design and then they refused to honor the extended warranty.

The thought of giving M$ any more money enrages me, so I guess, no...
post #830 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You see the thing is I harbour a very deep resentment towards M$. I hate them, you see they sold me two xboxes which both broke due to poor design and then they refused to honor the extended warranty.

The thought of giving M$ any more money enrages me, so I guess, no...
You should try to move past your hatred of MS. Either that or you should convert your HTPC to Linux or OSX biggrin.gif.

I've been really impressed with Win8. It's palpably faster than Win7 and I haven't run into any bugs in the OS itself after four months of living with it (making it the best debugged release of a Windows version ever), though some of the media apps are a bit buggy. The Netflix app is visually nice, but it's only true superiority to the web one is its ability to play the 1080p encodes and to bitstream DD+ surround if you have HDMI sound out. Otherwise there are some real weaknesses vis-a-vis other Netflix player implementations and I don't think that it's very HTPC friendly at all. It really can't be used without a keyboard and mouse.

post #831 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:

The phenomena has been reported before (and I've seen it myself); there's a picture of it in this thread back in this post. However, for most of us the picture quality labels changed from "Medium/HD", "High/HD", "X-High/HD" to resolutions: "720 HD", "1080 HD" and "1080 Super HD". Like this:

What I don't understand is why you're not getting the latest PS3 Netflix player. The XMB says that the version is 2.11 (select Netflix icon on the XMB, hit triangle then look at "Information"). The Netflix app shows this version info:
Code:
     SW Version: Release-390 2012.4;mdxlib=2012.3;mdxjs=1.1.4-r19
  Cert. Version: 2
Netflix Version: NRDLIB 2012.4 - Built 13:21:01 Dec 17 2012
       UI Build: Release API.Next2_2013_03_11-171-t

(To get that start the app and get to the "Select your Netflix experience" dialog--if it's not there when you start, hit SELECT to get to the "Just for Kids" UI, then hit SELECT again. When you're there, hit UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT UP UP UP UP).

What's the version info for yours?

I had a chance to check the version and the version numers are mostly same. The last line however, is slightly different. Mine reads:
UI Build: Release API.Next2_2013_01_28-26-t.
When the example short is playing, and it displays 5800 Kbps, the PS3 info says High SD as seen in this picture: I don't know how to update that UI build.

I have never attached a picture. I hope it comes out ok and readable.
post #832 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Mike Scott, do you have a PS3 first gen 60gb model? I do and was wondering if you might know what is going on. I'm only getting 8-10mbps when I test the internet connection. I've checked it tons of time before and always got 21-23mbps. This is a wired connection. I run a test on my laptop and get 22-24mbps. Any reason why my 60gb PS3 is now only getting 10mbps or lower I just noticed this in the last few days? It was always above 20 before. Is it a setting in the PS3 that got messed up? Is it broke?

Thanks, Tom
post #833 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72

I read a few weeks ago that the PS3 speed test, tests the connection to the PSN and isn't really a 'true' test of the console's ability to access the internet. Running the Vudu speed test, I always get an indication that their highest video quality HDX is capable, which I doubt would happen if the console were actually limited to the speed (4mbps) that I always get when running the connection test under Settings. 

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #834 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I read a few weeks ago that the PS3 speed test, tests the connection to the PSN and isn't really a 'true' test of the console's ability to access the internet. Running the Vudu speed test, I always get an indication that their highest video quality HDX is capable, which I doubt would happen if the console were actually limited to the speed (4mbps) that I always get when running the connection test under Settings. 
If you get around 10Mbps with PS3 speed test, you should be excited. I have a 50/5 connection and I routinely get 45-48 in speedtest.net, 25 from others and 4-5 from PS3
post #835 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Mike Scott, do you have a PS3 first gen 60gb model? I do and was wondering if you might know what is going on. I'm only getting 8-10mbps when I test the internet connection. I've checked it tons of time before and always got 21-23mbps. This is a wired connection. I run a test on my laptop and get 22-24mbps. Any reason why my 60gb PS3 is now only getting 10mbps or lower I just noticed this in the last few days? It was always above 20 before. Is it a setting in the PS3 that got messed up? Is it broke?

I don't know what's going on there. I have exactly the same model PS3 as you and hadn't tried that test in years until someone asked about it yesterday. I got 8 Mbps down then and tried just now and got 2.9 Mbps down rolleyes.gif. As Westly-C suggested I tried the VUDU player internal speed test and the indicator hit >= 9 Mbps and stayed there. I came back to my PC and tested at speedof.me and got 26 Mbps (lowest I've seen in days, but no less than the 25 Mbps that I pay for).

I'd say that it was broken.

post #836 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

I don't know what's going on there. I have exactly the same model PS3 as you and hadn't tried that test in years until someone asked about it yesterday. I got 8 Mbps down then and tried just now and got 2.9 Mbps down rolleyes.gif. As Westly-C suggested I tried the VUDU player internal speed test and the indicator hit >= 9 Mbps and stayed there. I came back to my PC and tested at speedof.me and got 26 Mbps (lowest I've seen in days, but no less than the 25 Mbps that I pay for).

I'd say that it was broken.

Definitely seems like an issue with the PS3, but what do you expect, its a Sony! biggrin.gif FWIW, I only use Cablevison's Optimum speed test. It's on a secure site, only available to their customers, and it is the only test that I have found that is void of any inconsistencies.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #837 of 1941 Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I only use Cablevison's Optimum speed test. It's on a secure site, only available to their customers, and it is the only test that I have found that is void of any inconsistencies.

Ian

Try shaperprobe http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe/shaperprobe.html

Most users on dslreports swear by it. You'll see if you getting (fooled by) powerboost or whatever your ISP calls it and what the true download speed is.

If you have a slower ISP up to around 30 Mbps Vudu Speed Test is a good indication http://speedtest.vudu.com/ - but it still gets fooled by powerboost/traffic shaping if your ISP is doing this.

I wouldn't trust your ISP test - as they say 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?'
post #838 of 1941 Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've come to like speedof.me. It's HTML5 and downloads increasingly large loads until one of them takes more than 8 seconds. ShaperProbe does not work for me. It always stops and says, "Downstream measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate".

post #839 of 1941 Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

If you get around 10Mbps with PS3 speed test, you should be excited. I have a 50/5 connection and I routinely get 45-48 in speedtest.net, 25 from others and 4-5 from PS3

Thanks Mike Scott and others! The reason I was asking was that when I signed up for Comcast internet in March 2012 I was seeing over 20 almost always on the PS3 test, sometimes it would be in the teens but, just in the last few days testing it gives 8-10 consistently. The reason I was checking it was because Netflix was taking long to ramp up and most times I could only get to 1080HD and 720HD last night. I did get 1080 Super HD on HellBoy and it stayed. tried some other programs then went back to Hellboy and took forever to get to 1080HD. I'm using the unblock DNS servers. I just wish things were consistent but, I guess that will never be the case.
post #840 of 1941 Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

I've come to like speedof.me. It's HTML5 and downloads increasingly large loads until one of them takes more than 8 seconds. ShaperProbe does not work for me. It always stops and says, "Downstream measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate".

My IE10 chokes on it. And Chrome gets around 75% through the 128MB sample and then crashes. It's was repeatable the three times I tried it. But I never saw it get past around 93Mb/s. On the Verizon test and speedtest.net I'll get 155Mb/s.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page