Netflix adds 3D and Super HD - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 832
I'm seeing UnoDNS go to the SuperHD streams but it is much, much slower for me than it was with unBlock US. It's taking over 30 seconds to get to the 5800kbps stream in the example short. While with UNBlock US it would only take a few seconds.
So far I've tried four 3D streams and they started without issue.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Toronto seems to be the only one that is Dynamic Enabled - http://www.unotelly.com/quickstart2/dynamo.php

As far as I can tell that allows different devices to select different regions.

I set up mine using the 2 California DNS for now - seems to be connecting to the Netflix Open Connect servers OK.

Edit - actually if you look at the list (not the map) all the north american one are Dynamic except LA. I changed LA to East Coast and now can access the UnoDNS Dynamo Settings.

Edit - yes it seems to take about 30 seconds to get to 5800 kbps - however for me unblock-us was about the same if it connected at all. Roku 2 XS on a 16 mbps Comcast connection.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 793
From these comments it sounds awfully complicated. Given that my ISP is set up for OC access I don't need one of these services for Super HD in the US region and I always get OC servers using Unblock to any other regions so I think that I'll just stick with them. I may give them a quick try, given the free 8 days.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

From these comments it sounds awfully complicated. Given that my ISP is set up for OC access I don't need one of these services for Super HD in the US region and I always get OC servers using Unblock to any other regions so I think that I'll just stick with them. I may give them a quick try, given the free 8 days.

It's no more complicated than Unblock-US. Just find the server closest to you, plug in the numbers in your router and you're all set.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It's no more complicated than Unblock-US. Just find the server closest to you, plug in the numbers in your router and you're all set.

There one complication right there that Unblock-US doesn't have--no finding the server closest to you.

Does the service offer any real advantage for people who have access to Open Connect in the US through their ISPs?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There one complication right there that Unblock-US doesn't have--no finding the server closest to you.

Does the service offer any real advantage for people who have access to Open Connect in the US through their ISPs?

I dunno, doesn't seem that hard to me, just look at the map, choose, plug in the numbers, away you go.

As far as offering any advantages, well, you'll have to decide. It offers the same amount of other region Netflix offerings as Unblock, and various other services. You'll have to take a look at it and decide.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They claim 'Dynamo allows you to have different version of Netflix simultaneously on different devices! So you can have one device playing UK Netflix and another playing US Netflix. I haven't tried it but could see our household using that. It also seems you can run BBC iPlayer from a WDLive in the US (though sadly not a Roku).
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

They claim 'Dynamo allows you to have different version of Netflix simultaneously on different devices! So you can have one device playing UK Netflix and another playing US Netflix.

Interesting, but I've got no use for that. I do wonder how they do it. Given that all your devices are on routers on the same modems, they'd all have the same external IP address--how can they tell the difference between them?
Quote:
It also seems you can run BBC iPlayer from a WDLive in the US (though sadly not a Roku).

I wonder how you'd get iPlayer installed on a US TV Live?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting, but I've got no use for that. I do wonder how they do it. Given that all your devices are on routers on the same modems, they'd all have the same external IP address--how can they tell the difference between them?

I haven't tried it yet but here is the claim 'For example, you are living in Canada and want to watch UK Netflix on your iPad. However, your wife might want to watch some US Netflix. If you are using comeptitor's product, you are stuck with Netlfix UK. With Dynamo, you simply set your iPad to Dynamo DNS, choose the UK as the Netflix country. Meanwhile, your wife's device can be normal UnoDNS server. Voila, now you are playing different countries of Netflix at once without interference. How cool is that!'

http://www.unotelly.com/quickstart2/dynamo.php
Quote:

I wonder how you'd get iPlayer installed on a US TV Live?

Instructions here http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/63462-how-to-add-huluplus-or-bbc-to-your-wdtv

Again I haven't tried it (because I have a Roku not a WDLive)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

UnoDNS works 100% of the time from the US to the US SuperHD servers for me so I guess I'm going to switch.

Thanks for pointing this out Mr. G!

How are checking you get the US SuperHD servers?

If I use the 'example short' it always connects and goes to 5800 kbps - yet when I play actual titles the realtime bandwidth I see on my router is less than I would expect for 5800 (video) + 384 (audio) SuperHD encodes. It varies quite a bit which probably makes sense for adaptive streaming. What average realtime bandwidth are people seeing with ISPs that support Open Connect on SuperHD tiltes.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried it a while ago....just wasnt practical enough for me, not over Unblock. If someone wants to watch different regions simultaneously then you would have a desire for it.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

How are checking you get the US SuperHD servers?

I've checked by using my router. In Tomato I'd go to QoS->View Details, check "Automatically Resolve Addresses" at the bottom of the page and click the Source heading to sort by device. I've done this from a browser on my tablet while viewing content on various devices.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

So far my experience with UnoDNS has been less than ideal. Initially it seemed fine but when I tried it some more later last night, I had some times that the streams stayed at 480P for over a minute and one time never exceeded SD. With UnBlock US, it may have been inconsistent getting SUperHD but at least it still ramped up to the 3800kbps stream quickly even when it didn't get a SuperHD stream. I did change my IP address from FiOS a couple of times and noticed a difference with the different IP addresses. But each time I went back to the FiOS DNS addresses, everything also ramped up to the 3800kbps stream quickly. While with the Uno DNS IP addresses were inconsistent.

LED DLP
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So far my experience with UnoDNS has been less than ideal. Initially it seemed fine but when I tried it some more later last night, I had some times that the streams stayed at 480P for over a minute and one time never exceeded SD. With UnBlock US, it may have been inconsistent getting SUperHD but at least it still ramped up to the 3800kbps stream quickly even when it didn't get a SuperHD stream. I did change my IP address from FiOS a couple of times and noticed a difference with the different IP addresses. But each time I went back to the FiOS DNS addresses, everything also ramped up to the 3800kbps stream quickly. While with the Uno DNS IP addresses were inconsistent.

Seems to work OK for me. Takes only a min or two at most to ramp up to SuperHD.

I did a traceroute to find the server with the shortest number of hops and used that one. Could also be because I have a 75/35 connection.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Seems to work OK for me. Takes only a min or two at most to ramp up to SuperHD.

I did a traceroute to find the server with the shortest number of hops and used that one. Could also be because I have a 75/35 connection.
I've got a 150/65 connection. I only have the issues with slow ramp up when using the UnoDNS IP address. Although this morning it was working better.

LED DLP
Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

UnoDNS appears to have issues as well. If you want to get a SuperHD connection on some streams you need to first connect to a stream you know has a SuperHD connection (like the 23FPS test clip), then it should work fine. Still easier than backing out all the time than with Unblock-US.

Also, I can't seem to get SuperHD streams on PC at all, just on dedicated devices (PS3, BDT220, etc). So if you plan on watching with your PC, this isn't the best route.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
On the Comcast forums, somebody says they do have Open Connect on their Comcast Business?

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/General-Hardware-and-Software/Netflix-Open-Connect/m-p/1662701#M13814

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 04-16-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

On the Comcast forums, somebody says they do have Open Connect on their Comcast Business?

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/General-Hardware-and-Software/Netflix-Open-Connect/m-p/1662701#M13814
That's interesting, I wonder if they are using a DNS re-director.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I've tried Charter, and it doesn't work.

Charter cable company in Madison, WI has a working Super HD connection. I guess they've crossed over. I'm visiting my daughter in Madison today and for curiosity's sakes checked her connection. She has 30 Mbps download speeds. I checked with Netflix Super HD for confirmation then tried her WDTV Live streamer since I can see the ramp up speed and resolution as it does so. The Grey got to 1080 HD in 35 seconds, Haywire took 21 seconds and Limitless took 13 seconds to get to 1080 HD - all with DD+ 5.1.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

That's interesting, I wonder if they are using a DNS re-director.
They posted a reply:
Quote:
I can confirm I have gotten super HD via my Tivo Premier DVR. I can see a major quality difference from regular Netflix HD. 3D works too.

I roll my own Internal DNS server and am behind a sonicwall. The DNS server connects to OpenDNS for external zones.

Whats interesting is that at my office 3 miles away from my home (which is also comcast business class) says I don't get Super HD. the network setup is indentical too.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

They posted a reply:
Saw that, thanks. Still confusing though as to why he is getting that connection, can't imagine it has anything to do with it being a business account.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Still why the three biggest providers (Comcast, FiOS & TWC) can't do SuperHD yet some small known ISP can do it? What they rather you use there crappy streaming service.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Still why the three biggest providers (Comcast, FiOS & TWC) can't do SuperHD yet some small known ISP can do it? What they rather you use there crappy streaming service.

I don't know how they stack up as ISPs, but FiOS finished the year at 4th in basic cable subs, though neck and neck with Cox, who are third place (then AT&T, Charter, Cablevision). Cox is set up for Open Connect so they do have one of the top three MSOs. However, Comcast with 22M subs and TWC with 12.4M are way ahead of the pack, given Cox's 34d place 4.6M.

Between Cox, Cablevision and Suddenlink, about 9M basic subs have available access to Open Connect; Charter would give them another 4M. Who knows how many total subs the tiny little local systems they have signed up represent.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

It's not the size of the big ISP's, but the reluctance of them to wave their CDN fees. You don't have to be small to be cheap.

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

It's not the size of the big ISP's, but the reluctance of them to wave their CDN fees. You don't have to be small to be cheap.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, we don't know what Netflix is asking--no one has disclosed that. If they pay the same as the other CDNs they still improve their bottom line by not paying them enough for a profit on top of that.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

As has been pointed out elsewhere, we don't know what Netflix is asking--no one has disclosed that. If they pay the same as the other CDNs they still improve their bottom line by not paying them enough for a profit on top of that.
As I recall, it's not what Netflix is asking, but that the cablecos will lose the money they charge the current CDNs that are delivering Netflix content to the cablecos network, Netflix wants to avoid having to pay those current CDNs(which in turn pay the cableco) and deliver the content straight to the cableco themselves, but Netflix wants to do this without paying, it appears to be anyway.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

As I recall, it's not what Netflix is asking, but that the cablecos will lose the money they charge the current CDNs that are delivering Netflix content to the cablecos network, Netflix wants to avoid having to pay those current CDNs(which in turn pay the cableco) and deliver the content straight to the cableco themselves, but Netflix wants to do this without paying, it appears to be anyway.

I don't think it's just about the money. It's how they run their marketing infrastructure. I believe there is a conception that Netflix is the competition and can potentially draw business away from them. Services such as HBO and Showtime are becoming Netflix's biggest target and these networks are revenue streams for the ISP's. They're just not ready to jump on the proverbial Netflix bandwagon, so to speak.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...but Netflix wants to do this without paying, it appears to be anyway.

That's a huge and unreasonable assumption. No one has ever said that and if it were true I'd expect it to have been pointed out: "We haven't signed up for Open Connect because Netflix is asking us to lose money on the deal". Why would large national MSOs like Cox and Cablevision be willing to accept a cut to their bottom line? I don't buy it.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's a huge and unreasonable assumption. No one has ever said that and if it were true I'd expect it to have been pointed out: "We haven't signed up for Open Connect because Netflix is asking us to lose money on the deal". Why would large national MSOs like Cox and Cablevision be willing to accept a cut to their bottom line? I don't buy it.
It's definitely an assumption, but I'm not sure they would make something like that public, these companies are pros at obfuscating the real issues and concerns, especially when it comes to money.

I'm not pro or con either side here and it could simply be a matter of time to install the equipment required, a company like Comcast would certainly take awhile as huge as they are.

OTOH, Comcast claims "billions and billions" of streaming/VOD views of their content and that's a lot of ad revenue that would shrink if users move over to Netflix.

There is too much about this that is unknown, which most often means disputes over money.

What ever it is, I do wish Comcast would implement OC and soon. smile.gif
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They wouldn't disclose it in fine detail, but if it were true simply saying, "We're not signing up for Open Connect because it loses us money, pure and simple. We'd love to do it if the terms were better, but as is we'd have to raise our service rates". Deflects blame, makes Netflix look bad. I find it a lot easier to believe that the big MSOs are just disinclined to do anything specifically to improve Netflix's service. If their network service subs want to watch Netflix there's nothing that they can do about that but they have little incentive to improve the quality of the product and any advantages of using Open Connect aren't enough to compensate. Who knows? They may actually have some financial interest in the other commercial CDNs.

It may only be taking a while for them to come to agreement on terms or for them to implement Open Connect access system wide before launching it. Netflix has been peddling it for nearly a year and systems are still slowly coming on board.

My housemate/landlord got the account info of a friend who lives in another city with a Comcast system and watches Xfinity on his iPad. He really loves it. TWC now has a streaming service with a channel available for 2nd and 3rd gen Roku.

Tags
Netflix