post #1171 of 1919 Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

But that is a secret shortcut which most people don't know about. Hitting Display or Select on the PS3 remote is not secret.

True, it's much more likely that people will stumble upon the DISPLAY/SELECT overlay so they obviously don't mind that people use it, but I still think that it's there more for developer convenience than for users.

I mentioned those codes for the web player overlays because I wanted to know what you meant by "The website does not show it."

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1919 Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

My display on the PS3 is still messed up. Is anyone's else like mine?

I have been having the same issue, I would love to get rid of the extra info, I like being able to see the quality of the stream and other info.
post #1173 of 1919 Old 05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Now that my Roku 2 has the new interface, Netflix titles have been updated to list the audio format as Super HD rather then HD.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1174 of 1919 Old 05-19-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Now that my Roku 2 has the new interface, Netflix titles have been updated to list the audio format as Super HD rather then HD.

The Netflix app hasn't been updated, just that Roku UI which displays those title description pages. They added the capability to display that Super HD label and the Roku Netflix player is just using it. It was prepared to use it already.

If your network provider isn't set up to access Netflix's Open Connect CDN the Roku Netflix player will still show which titles have Super HD encodes, which lets you see which titles have 1080p encodes at all. If the title is labelled merely "HD" then it's 720p-only.

post #1175 of 1919 Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The Netflix app hasn't been updated, just that Roku UI which displays those title description pages. They added the capability to display that Super HD label and the Roku Netflix player is just using it. It was prepared to use it already.

If your network provider isn't set up to access Netflix's Open Connect CDN the Roku Netflix player will still show which titles have Super HD encodes, which lets you see which titles have 1080p encodes at all. If the title is labelled merely "HD" then it's 720p-only.

Why is it done that way with the Roku? With other devices, it only shows SuperHD if you have access to Open Connect. With my other devices if I use the unBLockUS DNS Ip addresses, Super HD will show up on titles. If I use my FiOS DNS IP addresses, the Super HD label is not there. Why does the Roku always show SuperHD even when you don't have access to Open Connect?(I never checked this out my self though since I use other Netflix players to access SuperHD. I typically use my Rokus for non Super HD titles)

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1176 of 1919 Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Why is it done that way with the Roku? With other devices, it only shows SuperHD if you have access to Open Connect. With my other devices if I use the unBLockUS DNS Ip addresses, Super HD will show up on titles. If I use my FiOS DNS IP addresses, the Super HD label is not there. Why does the Roku always show SuperHD even when you don't have access to Open Connect?(I never checked this out my self though since I use other Netflix players to access SuperHD. I typically use my Rokus for non Super HD titles)

This occurs with my Samsung EH5300 TV too.

post #1177 of 1919 Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Why is it done that way with the Roku? With other devices, it only shows SuperHD if you have access to Open Connect. With my other devices if I use the unBLockUS DNS Ip addresses, Super HD will show up on titles. If I use my FiOS DNS IP addresses, the Super HD label is not there. Why does the Roku always show SuperHD even when you don't have access to Open Connect?

I don't know. I just tested using Unblock with region set to one of the non-Super-HD ones (Mexico, Ireland and Findland) and confirmed that this is true of the Netflix players on both Roku and TiVo Premiere. None of my other currently connected 1080p-Netflix-capable devices' Netflix players were like that (PS3, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, WD TV Live and the Win8 Netflix app). Again, it's handy for identifying the titles which have non-Super-HD 3850 Kbps 1080p video encodes and otherwise harmless.

post #1178 of 1919 Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I posted updated, I was referring to the Roku's interface. Thanks for the feed back.

Ian

post #1179 of 1919 Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When I posted updated, I was referring to the Roku's interface.

You said, "Netflix titles have been updated". The new labels were just a side effect of an update to the to a Roku API which displays title descriptions, used by many Roku channels (Hulu Plus, Amazon, HBO Go, etc). Just wanted to make that clear.

post #1180 of 1919 Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
GGA
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
A couple months ago I ended my Unblockus service for USA Netflix since the max bandwidth I could get was 4300k. Previous to that I could get 5800k with no problem. I would have to reenter Neflix several times to get the top speed.

I checked out Unblockus last week and it looks like they may have improved their service, so I rejoined. Same problem. 4300k maximum. Without Unblockus I get 3850k.

Any idea why I am being limited to 4300k?

I have 50M Fios with a Sony S790 and I did used to get 5800k on a regular basis.
post #1181 of 1919 Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

A couple months ago I ended my Unblockus service for USA Netflix since the max bandwidth I could get was 4300k. Previous to that I could get 5800k with no problem. I would have to reenter Neflix several times to get the top speed.

I checked out Unblockus last week and it looks like they may have improved their service, so I rejoined. Same problem. 4300k maximum. Without Unblockus I get 3850k.

I have 50M Fios with a Sony S790 and I did used to get 5800k on a regular basis.

I have UnoDNS and I get the same inconsistent results. It seems that the connection (Netflix) and the device is what is different every time? I get the best results when accessing Netflix using my Oppo 103 BD player (5800 kbps) than with all the other devices (TiVo Premier, Roku 3 and Apple TV). The Roku, however doesn't allow you to change the DNS settings and my ISP is not a member of the OpenConnect network (or whatever it's called).

lujan
650 Blu-ray
21 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1182 of 1919 Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

Isn't that an issue with those model Sony players? I have a couple of sony S5100 players and with unBlockUS they will get the 5800kbps encodes and the 3D encodes which I think are around 11 or 12 mbps.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1183 of 1919 Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah; there was a problem observed with the Sony BDP-Sx90s in that they'd stopped streaming the 5800 Kbps Super HD encode. Discussion of it just sort of ended and I never heard that it'd been fixed. I'll check it with my S390 sometime later today.

post #1184 of 1919 Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM

Makes little difference, at least to me, which method is used to access Netflix new 'Super HD' titles and service. More important is the extraordinary image quality - now on a par with VuDu's HDX and many average BluRay disks. Nothing short of amazing. I would not have thought it possible to stream this kind of quality and see it with so little in the way of compression artifacts on a 65-inch plasma. Too bad they're both still using a surround sound codec which is available only if you have a newer amp with Dolby Digital Plus. At least as far as the image quality is concerned, this puts the need for physical media on a par in terms of importance with horse racing.
post #1185 of 1919 Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah; there was a problem observed with the Sony BDP-Sx90s in that they'd stopped streaming the 5800 Kbps Super HD encode. Discussion of it just sort of ended and I never heard that it'd been fixed. I'll check it with my S390 sometime later today.

Okay--I checked. My PS3, BDT-220, WD TV Live, Roku 3 and the Win8 Netflix app on this PC all get up to the 5800 Kbps video encode while the BDP-S390 stops at 4300 Kbps. The problem, observed in the past, doesn't seem to have been fixed.

post #1186 of 1919 Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay--I checked. My PS3, BDT-220, WD TV Live, Roku 3 and the Win8 Netflix app on this PC all get up to the 5800 Kbps video encode while the BDP-S390 stops at 4300 Kbps. The problem, observed in the past, doesn't seem to have been fixed.

But is there any real improvement in PQ with the higher bit rate? My older BD player only goes to standard 1080p and still looks really good. I guess we're back to the Emperor's new clothes conundrum. wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

post #1187 of 1919 Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But is there any real improvement in PQ with the higher bit rate? My older BD player only goes to standard 1080p and still looks really good. I guess we're back to the Emperor's new clothes conundrum. wink.gif

Just a couple of post above mrsmith testifies to what an improvement it is on his 65" plasma panel. A number of people with larger sets believe that it's a tangible improvement. I can see the difference on my 46" LCD which I most often view from 6' away, but I question whether it's worth the 50% high bandwidth cost. It'd be nice if Netflix would review their "Manage video quality" setting and give us a level which gets us everything except the two Super HD and 3D video encodes but if you have the bandwidth and your provider is set up for Open Connect access you will get Super HD whether you want it or not.

post #1188 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith View Post

At least as far as the image quality is concerned, this puts the need for physical media on a par in terms of importance with horse racing.

What a load of crock, there is 23 titles currently in my Netflix Blu-ray disc queue and only ONE title is listed as PLAY (streaming). That is typical of my disc queue. I have Netflix streaming, Amazon Prime, VUDU and about 30 UV titles and none of them touch Blu-ray disc for pic and sound quality.

Now waiting on 4K Blu-ray and less expensive 4K projectors.
post #1189 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

What a load of crock, there is 23 titles currently in my Netflix Blu-ray disc queue and only ONE title is listed as PLAY (streaming). That is typical of my disc queue. I have Netflix streaming, Amazon Prime, VUDU and about 30 UV titles and none of them touch Blu-ray disc for pic and sound quality.

Now waiting on 4K Blu-ray and less expensive 4K projectors.

Not quite sure I understand what you are getting at. We are all well aware that much/most of the big new releases are not available for streaming on NF at the moment, but what does that have to do with the QUALITY of the streamed image?

As a very early adopter of the BD format I'm very much aware of it's image capability. Yet, for 90% of my viewing NF Super HD is more than satisfying. Is there a quality difference? Yes. Is it enough to make me go out and get, or wait for a BD copy of a movie? No. I really think BD is last of it's kind, and when 4K rolls out there will be little if any physical media. It will require big pipes to get it, but I do not see major companies investing $$$$$$$ is tooling up a new facility to produce 4K disk media. If there is a physical content component to 4K I'll bet odds are it's a version of flash memory.
post #1190 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a couple of post above mrsmith testifies to what an improvement it is on his 65" plasma panel. A number of people with larger sets believe that it's a tangible improvement. I can see the difference on my 46" LCD which I most often view from 6' away, but I question whether it's worth the 50% high bandwidth cost. It'd be nice if Netflix would review their "Manage video quality" setting and give us a level which gets us everything except the two Super HD and 3D video encodes but if you have the bandwidth and your provider is set up for Open Connect access you will get Super HD whether you want it or not.

My older BD player has the original interface, which only shows programs in my que and no Super HD, even with open connect. I tried running the example short on it, but the streaming data doesn't even show up. I have it hooked up to my Panny PDP along with my Roku 2. Both offer similar PQ as far as what I can see, but it's only a 46'' set.

Ian

post #1191 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My older BD player has the original interface, which only shows programs in my que and no Super HD, even with open connect. I tried running the example short on it, but the streaming data doesn't even show up.

Your older BD player isn't using the same sort of adaptive bit rate video encodes; if available bandwidth on its Netflix server connections drops it will have to stop and buffer a lower bandwidth encode and it won't return to a higher bandwidth one if things improve. It will also be limited to 720p, much less Super HD.

post #1192 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your older BD player isn't using the same sort of adaptive bit rate video encodes; if available bandwidth on its Netflix server connections drops it will have to stop and buffer a lower bandwidth encode and it won't return to a higher bandwidth one if things improve. It will also be limited to 720p, much less Super HD.

The TV always shows that it is receiving 1080p from the player. However, it's Netflix browsing and audio (no 5.1) limitations have become a mute point since I never use it for steaming anymore.

Ian

post #1193 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Now that you've mentioned the latest crock of bull(4k) alongside the BluRay crock, I suggest you get to an optometrist for a good check of your eyes. Both are good, but principally are exercises in marketing prowess. In the case of BluRay, it is the biggest economic flop in the history of electronics(see Sony's 11/2007 report to the SEC of a $250-BILLION loss in its BluRay division which is mathematically impossible to recoup, even at a net-net-net profit of $100-million annually for waaaaaay more than 40-plus years). Currently. we have 4k, at best an interim technology pending vastly superior OLED, vying to separate consumers from contents of their wallets - and largely imperceptible at an average 9-foot viewing distance with a 4k source. What a joke, and to that old adage, 'a fool and his money are soon parted'.
post #1194 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The TV always shows that it is receiving 1080p from the player. However, it's Netflix browsing and audio (no 5.1) limitations have become a mute point since I never use it for steaming anymore.

I kind of doubt that your BDP will output 720p for 720p video, instead upconverting it to whatever you say that your monitor resolution is. I have several devices with Netflix players and of them only TiVo Premiere can be set up to change output resolution as the resolution of the stream it gets from Netflix changes; all of the others will up- or down-convert to whatever you have set as an output res (actually for most of them if you set the output resolution to 720p they won't stream the 1080p Netflix encodes; I believe that TiVo and my Sony BDP will). Do you have any other network VOD players on that BDP? Try playing video from one of them; Amazon if you have it and/or VUDU HD (not HDX which is 1080p). What does your BDP output from them?

post #1195 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try playing video from one of them; Amazon if you have it and/or VUDU HD (not HDX which is 1080p). What does your BDP output from them?

When watching Vudu HD it outputs 1080p. The players resolution is set to automatic, so I know it upscales all lower rez programing to 1080p, but it's been so long since I've used it for streaming, that I didn't realize that the old Netflix interface on it only offered the 720p format. Thanks.

Ian

post #1196 of 1919 Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I really think BD is last of it's kind, and when 4K rolls out there will be little if any physical media. It will require big pipes to get it, but I do not see major companies investing $$$$$$$ is tooling up a new facility to produce 4K disk media. If there is a physical content component to 4K I'll bet odds are it's a version of flash memory.

The BDA is working on 4K Blu-ray. It will most likely use H.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) on a 50 GB disc. Content is many times cheaper to produce on stamped disc (CD, DVD & Blu-ray) than on NAND or NOR flash memory.
post #1197 of 1919 Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

The BDA is working on 4K Blu-ray. It will most likely use H.265 (a.k.a. HEVC) on a 50 GB disc. Content is many times cheaper to produce on stamped disc (CD, DVD & Blu-ray) than on NAND or NOR flash memory.

Yup, with prerecorded disc sales down about 16% the most recent year, and about 13% in the year before that, they're got to find SOMETHING to entice the fools. Right now, the producers are lighting candles below their gilt-framed portraits of P.T. Barnum.
post #1198 of 1919 Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith View Post

they're got to find SOMETHING to entice the fools.

They must have found that something, sales are actually up for Q1, 13.

Just curious, what do you propose for folks that prefers to purchase their software?
post #1199 of 1919 Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I'm not holding my breath brighthouse if they do come on board will most likely find a way to charge for it, on my un46D8000 netflix shows the Super HD logo on selected movies / tv episodes but i'm sure thats just titles that if my ISP does come onboard will be super HD.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2
MY DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 616 7.2
post #1200 of 1919 Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

...on my un46D8000 netflix shows the Super HD logo on selected movies / tv episodes but i'm sure thats just titles that if my ISP does come onboard will be super HD.

Some devices show the Super HD logo whether you have access to the Super HD video encodes or not; among the things that I own the Roku 3 and TiVo Premiere Netflix player browsers do. Shouldn't be "select" titles though. There is a small subset of 720p-only titles (usually relatively recent release big ticket movies like Super 8, Thor and Captain America), but all the remaining HD titles should be marked Super HD. Even if you don't have access to Super HD it's a convenient way to tell if an HD titles is 1080p or not.

Netflix seems to be holding fast to their "unless you sign up for Open Connect your customers aren't getting Super HD or 3D" stance. I don't expect that there will be some subset of titles available in Super HD to customers of ISPs who don't knuckle under.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page