AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

You gotta problem with Brooklyn? biggrin.gif

Actually my late Grandmother was originally from there.wink.gif No cable in those days.biggrin.gif

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1920 Old 07-22-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone else use UnoTelly? I can't seem to access the Canadian Netflix server, I get an error (the other servers worth fine). I contacted customer support (if you're having problems please post/contact customer support also). Netflix made some updates in the last few days to block services like Unblock-us/UnoTelly I think? Seems like Netflix did something.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #1443 of 1920 Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

UnoTelly seems to have fixed their problem with the Canadian server, but it appears I can rarely get SuperHD speeds off their service anymore. Does Unblock still have the connect/unconnect problems they were having with SuperHD? If so I don't want to bother with them.

post #1444 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Liked: 17
Just a TL;DR here; for those of us with unsupported ISP's is unblock.us considered the way to go or does any VPN solution work?

I am on Charter right now and my router is (has been for a while) set to Google DNS servers
post #1445 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Just a TL;DR here; for those of us with unsupported ISP's is unblock.us considered the way to go or does any VPN solution work?

I am on Charter right now and my router is (has been for a while) set to Google DNS servers

I think so, depending on your needs. I've been using them for 2 years when they first launched for bypass of MLB.tv blackouts and bbc iplayer. Since then, they added the netflix region change which is great. Super HD was spotty but its getting better. And now, they are about to beta release a new service. Waiting to see what it is.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1446 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You could use any VPN but it's generally a pain in the ass to set up with dedicated devices like routers/blu-ray/PS3, etc. The "big 2" Unblock and Unotelly work seamlessly with all those devices.
I like Unotelly so much I just signed up for a years worth of their service for $48. Worth it just for Netflix region switching.

What I did notice is that SuperHD isn't always up in different regions, so be prepared for that.

post #1447 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello Everyone, I don't know if anyone else but me has noticed this, but TWC is now offering SuperHD on compatible devices with Netflix. I couldn't find any reports about this, but I talked to Netflix customer service and they said that TWC is a recent addition to the Open Connect program. So even though the page on Netflix's website says that my ISP isn't supported, my PS3 is offering SuperHD streams (and I can tell the difference--it is better!). Just thought I'd let people know about it. Maybe someone can confirm or deny, especially as I haven't seen any stories about it in the wider media--the story about CBS is getting all the traction for Time Warner these days.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
post #1448 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
No SuperHD for me.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1449 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
While I would be incredulous there may be something going on with Comcast (and Verizon) as well.

Netflix SuperHD, 3D streaming options pop up on Comcast, Verizon (update: gone) http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/netflix-superhd-3d-comcast/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_campaign=Engadget

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28538657-Netflix-SuperHD-now-available-for-Comcast-

I will try when I get home - but not holding my breath........

Edit - false alarm. According to this post Karl Bode of DSLReports 'has confirmed with both Comcast and Verizon that there has been no new deals with Netflix in regards to joining Netflix Open Connect.'

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Netflix-Teases-Comcast-FiOS-Users-With-SuperHD-They-Cant-Get-125308
post #1450 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

YWhat I did notice is that SuperHD isn't always up in different regions, so be prepared for that.

No Super HD in the Mexico, Ireland or Finland regions.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1451 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

What I meant to say is that I noticed that my PS3 does not show any SuperHD logo either. Now I know I am on Earthlink but since it runs on TWC lines heck with the CBS blockage even Earthlink TWC subs can't stream shows on CBS.com.

Anyway for the TWC sub where are you located. TWC is famous for slowly rolling things out to different markets first. Thank you.

Never mind your sig says Ithaca NY. Please keep us updated.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1452 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Darn glitches it even affected TWC. Still why can't the three biggest ISP's in the country work out a deal and just join Open Connect. They got to know that there pathetic streaming services they offer are going to fail.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1453 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Now I know I am on Earthlink but since it runs on TWC lines heck with the CBS blockage even Earthlink TWC subs can't stream shows on CBS.com.

Try going to this ATT&T ISP site to stream CBS TV. I had no problem streaming Under The Dome since it's free. http://uverseonline.att.net/tv/show/under-the-dome

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1454 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Netflix players on some devices always show the Super HD logo whether you can get Super HD on your network or not. Of the things that I own these include TiVo Premiere, Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS (with the 5.x firmware). In general this indicates that the title has at least the non-"Super" 1080p video encode. HD titles which only have 720p encodes will be marked simply "HD". Lately there've been some 720p-only titles mislabeled Super HD.

post #1455 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The Netflix players on some devices always show the Super HD logo whether you can get Super HD on your network or not. Of the things that I own these include TiVo Premiere, Roku 3 and Roku 2 XS (with the 5.x firmware). In general this indicates that the title has at least the non-"Super" 1080p video encode. HD titles which only have 720p encodes will be marked simply "HD". Lately there've been some 720p-only titles mislabeled Super HD.

Understood - but if you read the Endgadget and dslreports articles you'll see that some people on Comcast, TWC and Verizon were getting the congratulations your ISP is configured for Super HD message from the Netlfix site.

Erroneously evidently........
post #1456 of 1920 Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Understood - but if you read the Endgadget and dslreports articles you'll see that some people on Comcast, TWC and Verizon were getting the congratulations your ISP is configured for Super HD message from the Netlfix site.

Erroneously evidently........

Ah--I missed that. That was kind of cruel rolleyes.gif.

The guy at Engadget says that he had it for just long enough to watch some demo thing but I wonder if he ever really had it. The only way to tell for sure would be to play it in the Win8 Netflix app and look at the Stream Manager. The Super HD encodes are only available on the Open Connect servers and its hard to imagine that Comcast et al somehow got access to those.

post #1457 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Yeah, after a lengthy conversation with both TWC and Netflix, it turns out that I was mistaken yesterday. The representative at Netflix who I originally talked to was lying to me...and while the second rep that I talked to apologized, I do feel a little peeved about that. Secondly, TWC got an earful about joining Open Connect from me (not that they would listen to me). But sorry guys. False alarm. It appears that michaeltscott is correct in that the SuperHD logo is appearing on those items that are capable of that resolution, which it had not done before for me. Got all excited for nothing it seems...

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
post #1458 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I just want TWC to join Open Connect so maybe then the Roku Netflix channel will stream more reliable.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1459 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post

Yeah, after a lengthy conversation with both TWC and Netflix, it turns out that I was mistaken yesterday. The representative at Netflix who I originally talked to was lying to me...and while the second rep that I talked to apologized, I do feel a little peeved about that. Secondly, TWC got an earful about joining Open Connect from me (not that they would listen to me). But sorry guys. False alarm. It appears that michaeltscott is correct in that the SuperHD logo is appearing on those items that are capable of that resolution, which it had not done before for me. Got all excited for nothing it seems...

I know I am a bit peeved too. It seems like the three big ISPs can't work out a deal because they rather use there own cruddy streaming service yet some small ISP I have never heard off get Open Connect support.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1460 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

With Unotelly SuperHD is spotty. Sometimes (rarely) I get it in the US (even though the logos are always there), but I almost always get it in other regions. I've pretty much given up on it. I'm really paying for the ability to switch regions at this point moreso than SuperHD.

post #1461 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

With Unotelly SuperHD is spotty. Sometimes (rarely) I get it in the US (even though the logos are always there), but I almost always get it in other regions. I've pretty much given up on it. I'm really paying for the ability to switch regions at this point moreso than SuperHD.

I notice that as well so after my year is up with Unotelly, I'm not going to re-subscribe.

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1462 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Liked: 17
Just did free trial of unblock-us. Worked like a charm. Everything in Netflix is now SuperHD. Yay!
post #1463 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
They all work like a charm at the beginning. It's getting consistent results with them that is the problem.

lujan
664 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1464 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just did free trial of unblock-us. Worked like a charm. Everything in Netflix is now SuperHD. Yay!

Yes please report how consistently you get Super HD.

I am about to let my unblock-us subscription lapse again.

Last time I tried it a few weeks on an Apple TV it only occasionally gets Super HD in the US region.

While I could live for with this for the region swapping I also found that on occasions it wouldn't even get the HD stream in the US region.

With OpenDNS I always get the HD stream.
post #1465 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking about the trial too but now after what you said I am not going to try it. The Roku is a lost cause getting HD stream after 8 PM but even the PS3 gives me some problems. It will start out good then drop at horrible quality but will ramp up to 1080 but lately now some streams will only ramp up to 720p.
Will anyone not on Open Connect try Murder She Wrote S7 E9, MAD S1 E19 I could only get it up to 720p same with Ghost Whisperer S1 E3. Thanks.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1466 of 1920 Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The thing is Unblock is just as inconsistent as Unotelly is to the US SuperHD servers (or at least it was last time I checked). I hated doing that disconnect/reconnect thing to get it, and it just wasn't worth the effort. Since Unotelly is $12/yr cheaper than Unblock I just went with them. I highly doubt Verizon will be offering SuperHD any time soon...

post #1467 of 1920 Old 08-10-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can see the Super HD logos (there's a space) on everything now; the question is whether you're actually getting it. You can't really tell on anything other than PS3 and the Win8 app--other devices have a status indicator which can be brought up but they say the same thing for the Super HD encodes as for non-"Super" 1080p. Unblock used to be very inconsistent about hooking players up to servers from which Super HD is available.

post #1468 of 1920 Old 08-10-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:

The thing is Unblock is just as inconsistent as Unotelly is to the US SuperHD servers (or at least it was last time I checked). I hated doing that disconnect/reconnect thing to get it, and it just wasn't worth the effort. Since Unotelly is $12/yr cheaper than Unblock I just went with them. I highly doubt Verizon will be offering SuperHD any time soon...

When I tried Unotelly, the streams were slower ramping up to the first 1080P HD stream for me. With unBlock US, it typically has ramped up to the 1080P HD stream for me at the same speed as when I use the FiOS DNS IP addresses. Which could be twice as fast. Anyway I've been paying the $5 or so a month to unBLock US. I would rather not be paying anything extra since I don't change the countries or anything else. I only use it to gain access to US SUperHD and 3D streams.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1469 of 1920 Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When I tried Unotelly, the streams were slower ramping up to the first 1080P HD stream for me. With unBlock US, it typically has ramped up to the 1080P HD stream for me at the same speed as when I use the FiOS DNS IP addresses. Which could be twice as fast. Anyway I've been paying the $5 or so a month to unBLock US. I would rather not be paying anything extra since I don't change the countries or anything else. I only use it to gain access to US SUperHD and 3D streams.

Unotelly seems pretty reliable for me if I use the Montreal and Toronto servers. (They're definitely the fastest for me as well)

Generally I have had little to no problems with them. Plus they're very quick to respond to customer support.

post #1470 of 1920 Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Unblock US & Unotelly how reliable are they? Do they go down often? All I know is when I went to the Unblock US site I saw they just recovered from a outage. I don't care about accessing Canada or UK just Super HD in the US.

Also I set Google DNS only on my PS3 for Netflix to see if it streams better. It helped last night and I will try it for a couple of weeks.

The Roku I have to change it on the router side I still can't believe you can't even do that on the Roku. No matter the Roku can sit idel and I will be disconnecting it soon.

Cats are the best pets.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page