AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Now where can I find a list of 3D Netflix offerings? smile.gif

Good question, I don't think Netflix makes it easy to find a list of 3D movies at least using a browser? I think there is a way using your devices Netflix application but it's not too easy either?

lujan
665 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1920 Old 10-03-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 506
If you have a 3D-capable device connected to a 3D TV (or if the device running the Netflix player is a 3D TV) and that device supports Netflix 3D you should see a "3D" genre in the browser.

Netflix should have a "genre" for it on their website but they don't and none of the 3rd party Netflix library browser sites (InstantWatcher, TVandMoviesNow, etc) seems to have a 3D filter.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1623 of 1920 Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Neither my Sony 570 nor 590 showed 3D genre. Did a little digging and it turns out only PS3 and select LG TV's will show 3D genre for now. Now I have to go sweet talk my son out of his PS3 for a bit. wink.gif
post #1624 of 1920 Old 10-05-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe that the BDP-S5100 supports Netflix 3D (and probably other devices which Sony haven't bothered to update their support article with). Replace your 590 with one.

Note that you will need to sustain 6- to 12 Mbps on connections to Netflix's servers.

post #1625 of 1920 Old 10-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I believe that the BDP-S5100 supports Netflix 3D (and probably other devices which Sony haven't bothered to update their support article with). Replace your 590 with one.

Note that you will need to sustain 6- to 12 Mbps on connections to Netflix's servers.

I'll just wait for the update to roll out to other devices since my 590 is working perfectly fine. Besides, my wife will not be happy if I got another blu-ray player (and she'd make sure I wasn't happy either). tongue.gif

No worries on connection speed. I expect my 50 Mbps Fios should be fine.

From an UK-based forum, I saw that Netflix had 57 titles in 3D as of end of August. Hopefully, that list will expand soon.
post #1626 of 1920 Old 10-05-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll just wait for the update to roll out to other devices since my 590 is working perfectly fine.

Okay, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that or any other new feature upgrade for a 1.5 y/o product. You'll notice that your 590 will not ramp up to 5800 Kbps Super HD, stopping and sticking on the 4300 Kbps encode. It didn't start out that way; some change they made back in March broke it. I complained to Netflix some months back about that and they haven't fixed it yet. It's yet another problem that the S5100 does not have.

post #1627 of 1920 Old 10-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that or any other new feature upgrade for a 1.5 y/o product. You'll notice that your 590 will not ramp up to 5800 Kbps Super HD, stopping and sticking on the 4300 Kbps encode. It didn't start out that way; some change they made back in March broke it. I complained to Netflix some months back about that and they haven't fixed it yet. It's yet another problem that the S5100 does not have.

No, I never noticed that 590 got capped at 4300 Kbps. eek.gif The picture was always pretty good so I never paid any mind. I hope the cap won't affect the 3D when the update rolls to 590. mad.gif
post #1628 of 1920 Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Neither my Sony 570 nor 590 showed 3D genre. Did a little digging and it turns out only PS3 and select LG TV's will show 3D genre for now. Now I have to go sweet talk my son out of his PS3 for a bit. wink.gif

Yes, I also tried my Apple TV and my Oppo 103 and both of them didn't have a 3D genre either. I have yet to see it even though I have devices that support 3D.

lujan
665 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1629 of 1920 Old 10-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Samsung BD-F5900 bluray player displays Netflix 3D also shows 3D genre in browser.

mark
post #1630 of 1920 Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Quote:

Yes, I also tried my Apple TV and my Oppo 103 and both of them didn't have a 3D genre either. I have yet to see it even though I have devices that support 3D.

I'd be surprised if any devices not released this year (other than the PS3) have the feature. I suspect that adding it would involve a change in the resident Netflix player code, therefore requiring a firmware update from Sony. The BDP-Sx90s being a year and a half old, I'd be very surprised to see Sony make any change in a firmware update to add new features to something that's working fine. Updates to fix bugs, maybe, if the bugs are serious; updates to add new features and possibly new bugs, no.

post #1631 of 1920 Old 10-07-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:

Both of my Sony S5100 BD players also show the 3D genre on Netflix.

The PS3 is still borked for 3D Netflix playback. It is limited to 720P output for Netflix 3D unlike my Sony S5100 players which will output 1080P 3D.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1632 of 1920 Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thinking about getting another BluRay player for the living room TV. How reliable is Netflix on the Sony S5100 compared to the PS3?

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1633 of 1920 Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Thinking about getting another BluRay player for the living room TV. How reliable is Netflix on the Sony S5100 compared to the PS3?

I traded my PS3 in because I did not need it any more. The S5100 is as good or better than the PS3 for 3D and 2D Blu-ray Discs.

LED DLP

post #1634 of 1920 Old 10-10-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

From the gigaom article 'By making Super HD and 3D available to everyone, Netflix has arguably one less carrot in its arsenal to convince ISPs to adapt Open Connect — but the company hasn’t given up completely on the idea to make this more of a public issue. Netflix is continuing to expand its monthly ISP ratings, which highlight the average speed its customers see on various ISP networks.'

Not sure how well that will work for them. Now non Open connect ISP customers have access to Super HD and 3D streams it is likely they will climb up the rankings again.

Now that everyone has been included on the Super HD stream my Roku 3 has been struggling to maintain a solid connection. Before Super HD the Roku 3 performed flawlessly with the lesser stream. Last night I tried watching Solomon Kane on the Roku 3 and after ramping up to HD quality it kept slipping back and forth to SD. Finally I gave up and switched to my non-adaptive streaming Apple TV 3 and it played fine.

Here is the router graph from last night, the area circled in red is the Roku 3 download speed, compare it to the ATV3 afterward. I've got TWC/RoadRunner 15/1. The Roku 3 is not experiencing any problems with Amazon Prime or Hulu+. My knee-jerk reaction is that the Netflix/Roku 3 stream is inundated at least in my region.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1635 of 1920 Old 10-10-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Finally I gave up and switched to my non-adaptive streaming Apple TV 3 and it played fine.

My undertsanding is that the Apple TV 3 is getting the adaptive stream as well - confirmed by the 'example short clip' displaying the the bit rate on the Apple TV (and the fact it ramps up over time to the full 5800 kbps).

Older players that don't get the adaptive stream don't display the bit rate.

Interesting that you got better connection on the Apple TV - especially if repeatable.
post #1636 of 1920 Old 10-10-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My undertsanding is that the Apple TV 3 is getting the adaptive stream as well - confirmed by the 'example short clip' displaying the the bit rate on the Apple TV (and the fact it ramps up over time to the full 5800 kbps).

Interesting that you got better connection on the Apple TV - especially if repeatable.

I assumed it was non-adaptive since the loading wheel on the ATV3 spins for a while before the movie starts and it always starts in HD.

Anyway I tried the Roku 3 again this afternoon, same movie, it ramped up fine with DD+ sound. The router showed it shot up to over 16 Mbps download peak at start-up. Of course this is at 2 PM in the afternoon versus 8 PM last night, prime viewing time. So at least at this point that seems to be where the problem lies unless someone has a better explanation.

post #1637 of 1920 Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I assumed it was non-adaptive since the loading wheel on the ATV3 spins for a while before the movie starts and it always starts in HD.

Before the change to allow non Open Connect ISP's to get Super HD that is what I always saw on my Apple TV.

It would on the 'example sort' always start at 3850 kbps and stay there. I assumed it was buffering while the loading wheel spun and by the time the clip started it had determined that there was enough bandwidth for the 3850 kbps stream (certainly better behaviour than the Roku 2 I had been using which ramped up much slower).

Now after the change it typically starts at about 3000 kbps and then ramps up 5800 kbps. Not sure why it is starting slower now as the download speed is still 16 Mbps (observed on my router like you) during the clip start up. Maybe something in the Apple TV algorithm is looking at the difference between 3850 / 5800 and the start up downoad speed and thinks it needs more margin with a 5800 kpbs stream - who knows.....
post #1638 of 1920 Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

That is why I sold my Roku 3. Don't blame you. I could not get a HD stream during peak hours after 8PM EST but in the afternoons it was fine. I heard good things about the ATV but what is stopping me from getting one is the possible announcement of the 4th Gen ATV.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #1639 of 1920 Old 10-11-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My understanding is that the Apple TV 3 is getting the adaptive stream as well - confirmed by the 'example short clip' displaying the the bit rate on the Apple TV (and the fact it ramps up over time to the full 5800 kbps).

Tried Solomon Kane again last night at 10 PM with the Roku 3, ramped up quickly and played fine with DD+ with no drop-backs - at least for the 10 minutes I watched.

Is 10 PM a better time slot or did I reach a different server? These are the Netflix inconsistencies that drive users to frustration.

As far as the difference between Roku and ATV streams I'm not sure what to think. I'll continue to test one against the other when issues arise.

post #1640 of 1920 Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

In my opinion that is not a new feature but an APP update, If the hardware can support it but the manufacture expects a consumer to replace a 1.5 y/o $3000 television because an APP needs a software update it's time to let the electronics industry know that is not acceptable. Class action suit anybody?
These new internet ready televisions and blu ray players are basically computers and so updates to all the different online streaming players needs to be made easier for the consumer.
post #1641 of 1920 Old 10-12-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilton View Post

In my opinion that is not a new feature but an APP update...

It's an update to add a new feature to an app. Any such will potentially add bugs and lead to other updates to fix them. A 1.5 year old BDP is past the end of its product life cycle and no manufacturer will keep spending money to issue unnecessary updates to old products. The current Netflix player app works and is stable (except for that limited-to-4300-Kbps thing, which I'm convinced Netflix created with an HTML5 code change). Sony's thinking would be "you want these new app features, buy a new BDP".

Panasonic's 2011 BDP line has a bug in its Netflix player which causes an occasional black frame to be output during some adaptive bit rate encode switches; never fixed. It also lacks support for 1080p in Netflix; never added. I can't say for certain that Sony won't add 3D Netflix support to the Sx90 line of BDPs but if they don't, it's par for the course.

I'm not a lawyer but I think that any class action suit is non-starter unless you can find some text somewhere on the box or in the enclosed documentation promising to change included apps to add new capabilities. The Netflix player app does at least as much as it did when you bought the BDP; you may think that it should be updated to add new capabilities but Sony has no contractual obligation to do so.

post #1642 of 1920 Old 10-12-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I spent $35 on Chromecast the other day and of course it didn't run very well on my 2000 model 53" Pioneer set (using an HDFury). Today much better because I picked up a 55" LED set and ran Netflix from my Android phone and selected the Chromecast option. Looks like the movie came in with SuperHD. Now to see if I can get that tonight.
post #1643 of 1920 Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 AM

Liked: 10
Baffled by this,

Last week I had 3d titles on my Netflix PS3 now suddenly I don't. I'm still seeing SuperHD listed next to the titles.

I've got a strong Xfinity connection I've speedtested consistently at 57mps down.

Where did my 3d go?
post #1644 of 1920 Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 242
The netflix PS3 app has an update of 12mb. I didn't find anything majorly different except now there's a content advertisement banner at the top.

And 1080p now say 1080pSD. 720p still says HD though. rolleyes.gif

home theater addict
post #1645 of 1920 Old 10-21-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

The netflix PS3 app has an update of 12mb. I didn't find anything majorly different except now there's a content advertisement banner at the top.

Well, that's pretty unsubtle biggrin.gif (right now I see an ad for the Netflix production, Derek, :mad:w/Ricky Gervais).
Quote:
And 1080p now say 1080pSD. 720p still says HD though. rolleyes.gif

I'd heard that complaint before this resident firmware update. It's an undocumented debugging tool so we can't actually complain. In any case it's clear what it means.

post #1646 of 1920 Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55

The promotional banners for their original series aren't new to me-they started back in Feb when House of Cards debuted. If you don't click on it, it will (should) go away after several activations of the app.

My PS3 got the update Friday, and none of my profiles-save for one that hadn't been used since it was created in Aug, featured a banner promo  (Orange is the New Black).

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1647 of 1920 Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I rate all of there original crap series zero stars yet is still pushes that crap. It is annoying and it should know by now I have no interest in it.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1648 of 1920 Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I rate all of there original crap series zero stars yet is still pushes that crap. It is annoying and it should know by now I have no interest in it.

I haven't watched it but my wife thought "House of Cards" was pretty good. Didn't it win some Emmy's?
StinDaWg likes this.
post #1649 of 1920 Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Hmph... so Hastings is talking about rolling out 4K this year. rolleyes.gif

Netflix should worry about successfully rolling out SuperHD and 3D. Sending out SuperHD and 3D is fine but Netflix should care about receiving SuperHD and 3D as well, i.e., update the apps! mad.gif
post #1650 of 1920 Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hmph... so Hastings is talking about rolling out 4K this year. rolleyes.gif

Netflix should worry about successfully rolling out SuperHD and 3D. Sending out SuperHD and 3D is fine but Netflix should care about receiving SuperHD and 3D as well, i.e., update the apps! mad.gif

SuperHD works fine on my Netflix devices. And the 3D streaming also works fine on my two Sony 3D BD players.

LED DLP

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page