Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1711 of 1941 Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't think FiOS is my issue (outside of the fact that that they don't support Open Connect, of course) - I only mention my connection to eliminate download speed as an issue. And it's not a home network issue, obviously. Since I can establish 5800k at off-peak times, and could almost all the time before the SuperHD mass rollout, I can only imagine the problem must be that the specific Netflix server I'm connected to is overloaded at peak times. I guess the Turnpike itself isn't the problem, there's just a backup at my exit. wink.gif

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1941 Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

I think he is asking you which part of the delivery system you think is is the bottleneck.

You made the analogy to a 'Lamborghini on the Jersey Turnpike'

Analogies help only if they provide some insight into understanding what is actually going on or a way to investigate the issue further.

I think we would all like to understand why some see no issues 24/7 (including me on a moderate 16/2 Comcast plan) while others with various ISPs with much higher service see significant issues.

I was speaking metaphorically. I think you are reading too much into it. That being said, I would call Open Connect the Autobahn, since there is no bottleneck.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1713 of 1941 Old 11-06-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 167
If we didn't have monopolies running most of our broadband systems we might get better service. Like an interstate highway, broadband needs to be in the commons. Go look and see what other countries have for far less subscription fees. Monopolies are a drag on society.
post #1714 of 1941 Old 11-06-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

If we didn't have monopolies running most of our broadband systems we might get better service. Like an interstate highway, broadband needs to be in the commons. Go look and see what other countries have for far less subscription fees. Monopolies are a drag on society.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Ian wink.gif

post #1715 of 1941 Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I think he is asking you which part of the delivery system you think is is the bottleneck.

You made the analogy to a 'Lamborghini on the Jersey Turnpike'

Analogies help only if they provide some insight into understanding what is actually going on or a way to investigate the issue further.

I think we would all like to understand why some see no issues 24/7 (including me on a moderate 16/2 Comcast plan) while others with various ISPs with much higher service see significant issues.

You should know by now from his previous postings that logical analogies are beyond mailiang's ability. Why do you think he did marketing? tongue.gif He just like to run up his post numbers. wink.gif
post #1716 of 1941 Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

You should know by now from his previous postings that logical analogies are beyond mailiang's ability. Why do you think he did marketing? tongue.gif He just like to run up his post numbers. wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Key to my highway, turnpike, Autobahn or what ever road you want to call it analogy:

The On-Ramp- The on-ramp is the way you get on to the Internet: your ISP.
The Lanes- The lanes are the different services of the Internet. (Each service represents different protocols for how that service functions).
The Lamborghini is the car- The car represents the hardware and software that we use to travel on the Internet.
The Pavement- The pavement is the foundation of the Internet: trunk lines, servers ... and other infrastructure that carry the data. (Traffic)

If you still can't figure out what I meant, duh, tough.biggrin.gif( BTW, before I was in marketing I taught English. Maybe I just have a better understanding of the use of metaphors, then computer tech.tongue.gif)

Ian wink.gif

post #1717 of 1941 Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

If you still can't figure out what I meant, duh, tough
Ian wink.gif

Frankly no - but I come from England where the pavement is the sidewalk.

We did have to get an American English Dictionary when we arrived (really we did)

I can see a highway analogy with Docsis cable modems where more downstream channels give you more lanes (4, 8 whatever). The speed limit is still the same (your provisioned speed) - but more channels means you are likely to be able to reach the speed limit when there is more traffic (your neighbors are online) - but the analogy above no I don't get it.
post #1718 of 1941 Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 AM

Liked: 10

Did the ability to stream SuperHD options disappear for anyone else? I've tried on both Verizon Fios and Comcast, but can no longer stream on any device in SuperHD. Something changed in the past week or so.

I still see the SuperHD logo on nearly all videos, but streams never go to 4300 or 5800 kbps anymore. I no longer have the option to manually select those bit rates in my Windows 8 app either. Everything maxes out at 3850 kbps.

post #1719 of 1941 Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frankly no - but I come from England where the pavement is the sidewalk.

We did have to get an American English Dictionary when we arrived (really we did)

I can see a highway analogy with Docsis cable modems where more downstream channels give you more lanes (4, 8 whatever). The speed limit is still the same (your provisioned speed) - but more channels means you are likely to be able to reach the speed limit when there is more traffic (your neighbors are online) - but the analogy above no I don't get it.

Sorry, that post was actually a reply to another members frivolous comments. You are reading way to much into this, so let me clarify it for you, Sherlock. biggrin.gif I don't know about England, but the roads here in the US are paved. I'm not a tech, so my analogy is quite simple. The pavement is the foundation that carries data on the internet. Traffic is the amount of data being use. Your car is the hardware and or software that allows you to collect the data to travel on the net. Therefore, my point was, regardless of how quick your car is, (ie: your down load speed, processor's speed etc..) if there are too many cars using data, (congestion) on a road (delivery network) that can't handle it, you won't be able to move, (in this case, more specifically, stream) fast enough. That's all I was inferring, metaphorically, nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers.

Ian

post #1720 of 1941 Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonAVS View Post

Did the ability to stream SuperHD options disappear for anyone else? I've tried on both Verizon Fios and Comcast, but can no longer stream on any device in SuperHD. Something changed in the past week or so.

I still see the SuperHD logo on nearly all videos, but streams never go to 4300 or 5800 kbps anymore. I no longer have the option to manually select those bit rates in my Windows 8 app either. Everything maxes out at 3850 kbps.

Now that you've mentioned it, I did notice that Netflix streams maxed out at 3850 kbps when I was watching it today. I chalked it up to the usual network congestion. Maybe Netflix has some bandwidth issues in the past several days. Hopefully, it will clear up.
post #1721 of 1941 Old 11-09-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:

Quote:

Now that you've mentioned it, I did notice that Netflix streams maxed out at 3850 kbps when I was watching it today. I chalked it up to the usual network congestion. Maybe Netflix has some bandwidth issues in the past several days. Hopefully, it will clear up.

Not seeing the 4300- and 5800 Kbps options for a title marked Super HD in the Win8 Netflix app Stream Manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S) is the freaky thing. The Super HD video encodes are apparently just not available to him for some reason.

I'm not seeing the problem but my provider, Cox Communications, is a Netflix Open Connect partner.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1722 of 1941 Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Glad it is not me. I thought it was my new switch but the old one did the same.

ATV would buffer right away and even drop to low quality do to its crappy 1 minute buffer.

PS3 would take a few reloads then it will stream to Super HD then drop to 1080 HD during Columbo but after 25 minutes in the LEDs are blinking normally now not rapitly.

I would love to be able to turn off this super HD crap and get the 3850 kbps 1080p streams again because the buffer is longer.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1723 of 1941 Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Streaming Europa Report on an Apple TV and 10 minute router average at 7 Mbps seems to indicate Super HD.

Comcast 16 /2 service

Edit I should say it is 8.20 PM Saturday night here - so presumably a peak period.

Edit 2 - also getting Skyfall in Super HD in Saturday Night peak period - albeit as reported in the finds/gems thread only 2.0 sound. I have to say both Europa Report and Skyfall look very good in Super HD.
post #1724 of 1941 Old 11-09-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:

Streaming Europa Report on an Apple TV and 10 minute router average at 7 Mbps seems to indicate Super HD.

Comcast 16 /2 service

Edit I should say it is 8.20 PM Saturday night here - so presumably a peak period.

Edit 2 - also getting Skyfall in Super HD in Saturday Night peak period - albeit as reported in the finds/gems thread only 2.0 sound. I have to say both Europa Report and Skyfall look very good in Super HD.

I checked earlier tonight and didn't have SuperHD.

I just checked 10 minutes after I saw your post (as I didn't know Skyfall was on Netflix and wanted to watch it again) and SuperHD was back!

Went to actually watch something a little bit later and it was gone again. But then I restarted the video and the option came back.

Seems to be coming and going.

post #1725 of 1941 Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Not seeing the 4300- and 5800 Kbps options for a title marked Super HD in the Win8 Netflix app Stream Manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S) is the freaky thing. The Super HD video encodes are apparently just not available to him for some reason.

I'm not seeing the problem but my provider, Cox Communications, is a Netflix Open Connect partner.
I've had all kinds of problems with Netflix on all my devices, but after seeing the posts about Win 8, I gave my wife's Surface Pro a shot. I played Flight and it went almost immediately to 5800 and stayed there.
post #1726 of 1941 Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 PM

From Canadian website: http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/11/01/netflix-aims-to-become-4k-video-leader-ditch-3d/

"On the other hand, Netflix is taking the opposite tack to 3D, which it announced on a test basis in the United States earlier this year. That feature has proven to be unpopular with subscribers, mainly because people don’t want to wear glasses at home. The situation is different in movie theatres, since the glasses are part of that special experience, but it doesn’t necessarily translate well into home viewing.

“We’re probably looking to back out of it in the end. I’m not sure there’s enough value in it.” Hunt says. “We’ve got a small collection and we’ll keep that going but we’re certainly not looking to expand it.”"

Aw, crap. So much for my hopes of being able to watch 3D on the cheap. I guess I have to buy Blurays if I want 3D (which are not cheap). My slimmest hope is that this is Canada and US Netflix won't do the same. (Yeah, right. rolleyes.gif)

Unfortunately, people who claim 3D is dead or dying may be right. It's just too expensive and inconvenient to do 3D.
post #1727 of 1941 Old 11-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you using Sony equipment to get Netflix like me, anonAVS? I think I read somewhere that all internet traffic goes through Sony network for Sony hardware. I am thinking that maybe the Netflix bitrate issue is on Sony, rather than Netflix.

I am beginning to hate Sony. Apparently Sony doesn't plan to update their BD players other than its latest models. So disappointing that Sony is starting act no better than a third-tier brand, i.e., Vizio. mad.gif
post #1728 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
The netflix UI looks like it's going to change for PS4. I found an IGN video of the PS4 UI-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juGepyGv8to&t=5m25s

It's a quick look. He doesn't stay in there long.

I don't know why Netflix keeps on changing the UI. The best one was the version they had when it first launched on PS3. On top of that we had access to the entire library.

home theater addict
post #1729 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:

From Canadian website: http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/11/01/netflix-aims-to-become-4k-video-leader-ditch-3d/

"On the other hand, Netflix is taking the opposite tack to 3D, which it announced on a test basis in the United States earlier this year. That feature has proven to be unpopular with subscribers, mainly because people don’t want to wear glasses at home. The situation is different in movie theatres, since the glasses are part of that special experience, but it doesn’t necessarily translate well into home viewing.

“We’re probably looking to back out of it in the end. I’m not sure there’s enough value in it.” Hunt says. “We’ve got a small collection and we’ll keep that going but we’re certainly not looking to expand it.”"

Aw, crap. So much for my hopes of being able to watch 3D on the cheap. I guess I have to buy Blurays if I want 3D (which are not cheap). My slimmest hope is that this is Canada and US Netflix won't do the same. (Yeah, right. rolleyes.gif)

Unfortunately, people who claim 3D is dead or dying may be right. It's just too expensive and inconvenient to do 3D.

Just rent the 3D BD titles. This is what i do from http://www.3d-blurayrental.com

here is the AVS thread on it

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1322117/http-www-3d-blurayrental-com

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1730 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Just rent the 3D BD titles. This is what i do from http://www.3d-blurayrental.com

here is the AVS thread on it

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1322117/http-www-3d-blurayrental-com

$6 to $8 per disc to rent? 1-10 days of turnaround? eek.gif I don't know if that's necessarily cheap or convenient.
post #1731 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

$6 to $8 per disc to rent? eek.gif I don't know if that's necessarily "cheap."
I use the subscription plan. They have one, two, and three out options. I subscribe to the three out plan for 3D content and to supplement my Netflix 2D rentals.

LED DLP
post #1732 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Are you using Sony equipment to get Netflix like me, anonAVS? I think I read somewhere that all internet traffic goes through Sony network for Sony hardware. I am thinking that maybe the Netflix bitrate issue is on Sony, rather than Netflix.

No. I've been using the Windows 8 app for all this. I don't have anyway of telling if I'm getting SuperHD or not on any other device.

I've found that I can generally get SuperHD, if it doesn't show up as an option immediately, if I stop the video and restart it.

Unfortunately there's no way to tell if a video is playing in SuperHD (as opposed to regular 1080p) on my Wii U or Panasonic TV.

post #1733 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I use the subscription plan. They have one, two, and three out options. I subscribe to the three out plan for 3D content and to supplement my Netflix 2D rentals.

How quick is the turn-around? In my town, Netflix is a one-day turn-around. When they get my disk, they send me the next movie and I get it the following day.

lujan
718 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1734 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

How quick is the turn-around? In my town, Netflix is a one-day turn-around. When they get my disk, they send me the next movie and I get it the following day.

They are located on the West Coast and I am on the East coast. So I get the titles in 3 to 5 days. Although once you drop it in the mail you can order another one and just tell them which titles you put in the mail. If you are close to the West coast then you would get them quicker.

LED DLP
post #1735 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are located on the West Coast and I am on the East coast. So I get the titles in 3 to 5 days. Although once you drop it in the mail you can order another one and just tell them which titles you put in the mail. If you are close to the West coast then you would get them quicker.
confused.gif

I'm on the east cost and my distribution center is about 20 miles away.

Ian

post #1736 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

The netflix UI looks like it's going to change for PS4. I found an IGN video of the PS4 UI-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juGepyGv8to&t=5m25s

It's a quick look. He doesn't stay in there long.

I don't know why Netflix keeps on changing the UI. The best one was the version they had when it first launched on PS3. On top of that we had access to the entire library.

The version shown in that clip is the one that they're switching as many devices as possible to--I just got it today on my TiVo Roamio and PS3; it's coming soon to Roku 3 and Xbox 360 and who knows what else. I wrote about it in another thread here.

I like that old PS3 version too, though it didn't give you full access to the library (except through search, which every version has). I did give tons of genres and subgenres, each of which could list up to 250 matches, as opposed to the up to 75 matches each for a much smaller list of genres we see today.

post #1737 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
FYI: The new Netflix interface (at least on the PS3) no longer lists what titles are available in SuperHD or not, but according to the indicator it shows SuperHD still works just fine.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #1738 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

FYI: The new Netflix interface (at least on the PS3) no longer lists what titles are available in SuperHD or not, but according to the indicator it shows SuperHD still works just fine.

Yes, I noticed that. The vast majority of titles which are marked "HD" have Super HD encodes, though some are 720p-only and a few are 3850 Kbps non-Super 1080p . These things tend to change over time, with titles which start out as 720p-only/stereo-only eventually becoming Super HD/DD+ 5.1.

post #1739 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

confused.gif

I'm on the east cost and my distribution center is about 20 miles away.

Ian

For Netflix, the DIstribution center is around 30 miles from me and I have one day turnarounds.. For 3D Blu-ray Rental, they are located on the West Coast.

LED DLP
post #1740 of 1941 Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The version shown in that clip is the one that they're switching as many devices as possible to--I just got it today on my TiVo Roamio and PS3; it's coming soon to Roku 3 and Xbox 360 and who knows what else. I wrote about it in another thread here.

I like that old PS3 version too, though it didn't give you full access to the library (except through search, which every version has). I did give tons of genres and subgenres, each of which could list up to 250 matches, as opposed to the up to 75 matches each for a much smaller list of genres we see today.

I'm not seeing the direct post you linked.

Anyway, i don't think i like that UI. I just got home and haven't used Netflix yet so i'll see if it works ok. Still, they need to stop changing it so damn much. It's not good. As soon as you get use to one version they go and change the whole thing.

Yes the sub genres is what i was referring to.I loved that feature. It sure seemed like they had the entire library. Literally hundreds of titles per genre to choose from.

EDIT-

Just checked it. Nothing special that says what we had needed an upgraded. And i don't like that it doesn't tell you how many titles are in each row anymore. The movie images are too small now too. Everything is crammed close together.

home theater addict
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page