Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1921 of 1941 Old 10-25-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I just notice now on my PS3 it doesn't say 1080pSuperHD anymore. Just 1080p. Anybody else get this? It could be a placebo on my part but it looks like the PQ isn't as good anymore.

home theater addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1941 Old 10-25-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I just notice now on my PS3 it doesn't say 1080pSuperHD anymore. Just 1080p. Anybody else get this? It could be a placebo on my part but it looks like the PQ isn't as good anymore.
You may want to start reading here:

Netflix streaming quality

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1923 of 1941 Old 10-25-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 273
What am I suppose to be reading?

If you're saying it takes time to load it's not that.

home theater addict
post #1924 of 1941 Old 10-25-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
What am I suppose to be reading?

If you're saying it takes time to load it's not that.
The techs have removed the SD/HD labels from the display, showing only the the stream's bitrate. We're theorizing that this was a response to the angst, upset, anger and confusion that the mislabeling of 1080HD as 1080SD over the last few weeks, which many may have looked at their picture quality and concluded that the picture looked bad because the stream Display read 1080SD, when in fact, it was (possibly) HD.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1925 of 1941 Old 10-25-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
...it was (possibly) HD.

What?!? Now who's spreading FUD! It was HD, consarnit! If you played "Example Short 24.976" or "El Fuente: 60 MP10" when it got to the 4300 Kbps 1080p encode it would say "1080 SD", but not before that bit rate and never below it.

This morning I read this review of the 70" version of my new 60" 4K FALD TV which included this statement:

Quote:
Netflix labels its its UltraHD as 2160SD which has a resolution of 3840×2160. True 4K is 4096×2160 and that is labeled 2160HD. We were not able to find a 2160HD program.

<HEAVY SIGH>. I wrote something to post to set them straight (and tell them that the player has since dropped all SD and HD labelling) but my efforts to create an account at their site failed and there was no apparent way to send them email.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1926 of 1941 Old 10-25-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I do confess, that I've have wondered if some convinced themselves there was a drop in quality due entirely to the display reading the mislabeled 1080SD & 2160SD, or if there was an actual brief period of poor stream quality that coincided with the start of that error display. When the pq returned to normal, people continued to believe there was a problem when there wasn't. I went back and added the "possibly" in parenthesis, after reviewing the post, purely to not insult those who may honestly believe their eyes were seeing less than pristine pq.
The complains seemed to erupt at the same time, and across sereval message boards-too many to automatically dismiss so easily. I personally believe based on my own viewing a couple of hours of 480sd streams of HD titles, there was a brief hiccup the week when Netflix began their European expansion, that was quickly resolved, which was the time the mislabeled stream display began to be noticed. I do not believe that the video quality has been purposely degraded or that Netflix is pulling a fast one/doing something hinky/tryin' to bamboozle people.
I have joined-and supported you, in trying to allay the concern many have voiced. But I did, after reading what I'd originally written, go back and try to tone it down a bit.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1927 of 1941 Old 10-25-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are two 1080p video encodes, at 4300- and 5800 Kbps and four 2160p encodes at 8000-, 10000-, 12000- and 15600 Kbps. 4300- and 5800 Kbps are pretty close to my eye, but if there's not a big discernible difference between 2160p at 8000 Kbps and 15600 Kbps then criminal amounts of network bandwidth are being squandered. So it is possible that some people were failing to get the best quality 1080p or 2160p encodes coinciding with the display getting goofed up. They'll have to blame something else now .

post #1928 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to burst some of your bubbles regarding the recent loss of 1080 Super HD using PS3's and Netflix streaming.

I just ran into this issue and have proven that this is not simply a labelling issue on the Netflix app on a PS3. I could see in recent days that the picture was soft and it shows now just 1080. I installed a Chromecast device and switched back and forth numerous times using the same content, and I can tell you all that Netflix is coming through super clearly on the CC, just like it USED to come through on either of my PS3's.

I called NF 4 times; they deny responsibility. I contacted Sony and lodged a very specific complaint about the nature of the problem, which they said they will forward to the people responsible for the NF app. I didn't even bother to call Comcast as that's always a waste of time

I didn't first see the lack of "super HD" and then notice the picture was soft. I first noticed the soft picture; then I hit the "select" button to display what the current resolution was. I then rebooted the PS3, the Comcast modem, and the router. Then I tried my other PS3 (which I use just for gaming) and found the same issue (following an update to the NF app before being able to open NF on that PS3).

Be assured, this issue is NOT one merely of programming change to how the NF app displays the resolution. The resolution, while 1080, doesn't have the same sharpness (sharp hair, fabric textures, skin texture, etc) that it used to have when it displayed 1080 Super HD. I don't care if it says or doesn't say "Super HD", but I want that quality stream. I don't care if the info shows,"Corn Flakes"; the issue is the ACTUAL streaming quality I am receiving, rather than what the app shows.

Anyone who doesn't believe me, fire up your Chromecast and check it out. I never would have thought I'd see the day when my PS3's would have inferior PC. I actually bought one of them a while back, PRIMARILY to play NF. Color me about $220 poorer without any benefit, as my other PS3 is my gaming unit.

Last edited by dave1812dave; 11-04-2014 at 11:34 AM.
post #1929 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I think I resolved the Chromecast issue with Netflix (and a few other services) in that checking around the crappy U-Verse gateway only has a wifi range of 20 feet. My Chromecast is almost 30 feet away. Testing with my Android phone I could see all wifi bars but as soon as I got about 15 feet from the router the bars starting dropping down. I've been looking into range extenders and access points. I may try to put an Ethernet switch on the cable that is near the TV and services the ancient Sony player and put an access point on it.

Speaking of the ancient Sony player it been crashing a bit lately which is annoying and I have reward points for an S1200 so ordered one. BTW, that listing on Netflix for Sony players doesn't even have the new players like S1200 S3200 which were launched last spring. The Netflix app on the ancient Sony (S480) was updated early summer and indeed now it displays 1080p HD but fails to pass the DD+ and just sends PCM either via HDMI or coax. I'm suspecting the new one will pass the DD+. For the record VUDU's DD+ is passed through to the AV Receiver just fine.
post #1930 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
Sorry to burst some of your bubbles regarding the recent loss of 1080 Super HD using PS3's and Netflix streaming.

I just ran into this issue and have proven that this is not simply a labelling issue on the Netflix app on a PS3. I could see in recent days that the picture was soft and it shows now just 1080. I installed a Chromecast device and switched back and forth numerous times using the same content, and I can tell you all that Netflix is coming through super clearly on the CC, just like it USED to come through on either of my PS3's.

I called NF 4 times; they deny responsibility. I contacted Sony and lodged a very specific complaint about the nature of the problem, which they said they will forward to the people responsible for the NF app. I didn't even bother to call Comcast as that's always a waste of time

I didn't first see the lack of "super HD" and then notice the picture was soft. I first noticed the soft picture; then I hit the "select" button to display what the current resolution was. I then rebooted the PS3, the Comcast modem, and the router. Then I tried my other PS3 (which I use just for gaming) and found the same issue (following an update to the NF app before being able to open NF on that PS3).

Be assured, this issue is NOT one merely of programming change to how the NF app displays the resolution. The resolution, while 1080, doesn't have the same sharpness (sharp hair, fabric textures, skin texture, etc) that it used to have when it displayed 1080 Super HD. I don't care if it says or doesn't say "Super HD", but I want that quality stream. I don't care if the info shows,"Corn Flakes"; the issue is the ACTUAL streaming quality I am receiving, rather than what the app shows.

Anyone who doesn't believe me, fire up your Chromecast and check it out. I never would have thought I'd see the day when my PS3's would have inferior PC. I actually bought one of them a while back, PRIMARILY to play NF. Color me about $220 poorer without any benefit, as my other PS3 is my gaming unit.
Odd issue, between my 3 roku's and my PS4 I notice no large difference in quality other then the speed of the netflix app itself, and thats compairing the ps4 and roku 3 on a 110" screen.
post #1931 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Odd issue, between my 3 roku's and my PS4 I notice no large difference in quality other then the speed of the netflix app itself, and thats compairing the ps4 and roku 3 on a 110" screen.

I'm talking PS3 and I'm talking "recent". Prior to a few days ago, my PS3/netflix picture quality has been fantastic. for months on end. as in,"ever since NF paid Comcast a ton of money to fix the lousy picture quality", as in,"it made headlines".

It's not "odd". It's a NF recent issue with a specific model NF playback device. this stuff happens. NOW, we need to have SOMEONE own up to the problem, and fix it! I think the recent PS3 NF app update is to blame, but I'm not about to give the rest of the "players" in this, a pass, just yet.

Last edited by dave1812dave; 11-04-2014 at 12:51 PM.
post #1932 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm talking PS3 and I'm talking "recent". Prior to a few days ago, my PS3/netflix picture quality has been fantastic. for months on end. as in,"ever since NF paid Comcast a ton of money to fix the lousy picture quality", as in,"it made headlines".

It's not "odd". It's a NF recent issue with a specific model NF playback device. this stuff happens. NOW, we need to have SOMEONE own up to the problem, and fix it! I think the recent PS3 NF app update is to blame, but I'm not about to give the rest of the "players" in this, a pass, just yet.

What bit rate are you seeing when you play one of the test clips, like "El Fuente: 60 MP10"?

post #1933 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
What bit rate are you seeing when you play one of the test clips, like "El Fuente: 60 MP10"?
it shows 5800 and looks great.

however, all of the shows we watch look slightly less sharp in the last few days, and because of that I pressed a Chromecast device into service on our main bigscreen, to verify that there was an image sharpness issue. The chromecast playback always looks sharper than the current playback on either of 2 PS3's. Prior to a few days ago, the PS3 playback has been excellent. We aren't talking horrible image quality. Just slightly less sharp, so that hair, fabrics, skin textures don't "pop" like they normally do.

Last edited by dave1812dave; 11-04-2014 at 01:17 PM.
post #1934 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 01:16 PM

On a side note, a couple years ago I owned 2 Sony blu ray players and neither one ever gave a good picture with NF. I didn't realize that using a PS3 would give me such a better picture, so I returned them for a refund to Costco (they were over 1 year old) and got a second PS3, just for NF. Then, we had the issue with Comcast and NF not playing nice, so that impacted image quality for a while until NF threw a bunch of money at them early this year. Since then, my playback quality has been uniformly excellent (until a few days ago).

No one at Sony or NF could tell me why those 2 blu ray players didn't have a good picture with NF, so that's why I gave up on them and got a refund.
post #1935 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
S...

I don't trust Netflix as far as I can spit. They always deny any responsibility. I repeatedly called them at the beginning of the year to complain that they weren't processing my movies that they got back on Saturdays. They blamed it on the Post Office and I even complained to the Post Office because of Netflix. I find out several months later that they were stopping the processing of movies on Saturdays but they had already been doing this since the beginning of 2014 in my city anyway. I asked them about it later and they just said that they will send it to another department for investigation and I never heard anything more about it again.
dave1812dave likes this.

lujan
713 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1936 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I think I resolved the Chromecast issue with Netflix (and a few other services) in that checking around the crappy U-Verse gateway only has a wifi range of 20 feet. My Chromecast is almost 30 feet away. Testing with my Android phone I could see all wifi bars but as soon as I got about 15 feet from the router the bars starting dropping down. I've been looking into range extenders and access points. I may try to put an Ethernet switch on the cable that is near the TV and services the ancient Sony player and put an access point on it.
Why not replace the router?
http://geekbeat.tv/how-to-use-your-o...h-att-u-verse/

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1937 of 1941 Old 11-04-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Because it's a gateway with phone. I may look into Astound if they ever make it down this block.
post #1938 of 1941 Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix updated the Android app yesterday which helped Chromecast connectivity quite a bit and did away with the crash many Chromecast users we're see the last couple of days. The phone app may lose connectivity but regains it by just exiting the app and then starting it up again. So I got my 1080p with DD+ back.
dave1812dave likes this.
post #1939 of 1941 Old 11-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Netflix updated the Android app yesterday which helped Chromecast connectivity quite a bit and did away with the crash many Chromecast users we're see the last couple of days. The phone app may lose connectivity but regains it by just exiting the app and then starting it up again. So I got my 1080p with DD+ back.
i have a NF update dated Nov 3. version 3.8.2 build 3903. what have you got?
post #1940 of 1941 Old 11-05-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i have a NF update dated Nov 3. version 3.8.2 build 3903. what have you got?
Same. Google does have a Chromecast support forum which discusses Netflix problems.
https://productforums.google.com/for...ies/chromecast
post #1941 of 1941 Old 11-05-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Same. Google does have a Chromecast support forum which discusses Netflix problems.
https://productforums.google.com/for...ies/chromecast
thanks but my issues are with PS3. chromecast works great.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page