Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1921 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I just notice now on my PS3 it doesn't say 1080pSuperHD anymore. Just 1080p. Anybody else get this? It could be a placebo on my part but it looks like the PQ isn't as good anymore.

home theater addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I just notice now on my PS3 it doesn't say 1080pSuperHD anymore. Just 1080p. Anybody else get this? It could be a placebo on my part but it looks like the PQ isn't as good anymore.
You may want to start reading here:

Netflix streaming quality

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1923 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 255
What am I suppose to be reading?

If you're saying it takes time to load it's not that.

home theater addict
post #1924 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
What am I suppose to be reading?

If you're saying it takes time to load it's not that.
The techs have removed the SD/HD labels from the display, showing only the the stream's bitrate. We're theorizing that this was a response to the angst, upset, anger and confusion that the mislabeling of 1080HD as 1080SD over the last few weeks, which many may have looked at their picture quality and concluded that the picture looked bad because the stream Display read 1080SD, when in fact, it was (possibly) HD.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1925 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
...it was (possibly) HD.

What?!? Now who's spreading FUD! It was HD, consarnit! If you played "Example Short 24.976" or "El Fuente: 60 MP10" when it got to the 4300 Kbps 1080p encode it would say "1080 SD", but not before that bit rate and never below it.

This morning I read this review of the 70" version of my new 60" 4K FALD TV which included this statement:

Quote:
Netflix labels its its UltraHD as 2160SD which has a resolution of 3840×2160. True 4K is 4096×2160 and that is labeled 2160HD. We were not able to find a 2160HD program.

<HEAVY SIGH>. I wrote something to post to set them straight (and tell them that the player has since dropped all SD and HD labelling) but my efforts to create an account at their site failed and there was no apparent way to send them email.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1926 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I do confess, that I've have wondered if some convinced themselves there was a drop in quality due entirely to the display reading the mislabeled 1080SD & 2160SD, or if there was an actual brief period of poor stream quality that coincided with the start of that error display. When the pq returned to normal, people continued to believe there was a problem when there wasn't. I went back and added the "possibly" in parenthesis, after reviewing the post, purely to not insult those who may honestly believe their eyes were seeing less than pristine pq.
The complains seemed to erupt at the same time, and across sereval message boards-too many to automatically dismiss so easily. I personally believe based on my own viewing a couple of hours of 480sd streams of HD titles, there was a brief hiccup the week when Netflix began their European expansion, that was quickly resolved, which was the time the mislabeled stream display began to be noticed. I do not believe that the video quality has been purposely degraded or that Netflix is pulling a fast one/doing something hinky/tryin' to bamboozle people.
I have joined-and supported you, in trying to allay the concern many have voiced. But I did, after reading what I'd originally written, go back and try to tone it down a bit.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1927 of 1927 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 701
There are two 1080p video encodes, at 4300- and 5800 Kbps and four 2160p encodes at 8000-, 10000-, 12000- and 15600 Kbps. 4300- and 5800 Kbps are pretty close to my eye, but if there's not a big discernible difference between 2160p at 8000 Kbps and 15600 Kbps then criminal amounts of network bandwidth are being squandered. So it is possible that some people were failing to get the best quality 1080p or 2160p encodes coinciding with the display getting goofed up. They'll have to blame something else now .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page