New to Netflix: question on playing 5.1 on Xbox and Vizio TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I recently signed up for the free trial on Netflix, and I have 2 devices that I watch on: a new Xbox and a Vizio 420i-A0.

I notice when I choose a movie on the Xbox, it indicates on the menu before I watch it that its 5.1. However on the Vizio, it does not even list its 5.1. is this the limitation of the device? Does the app need an update or the tv, if there is one?

Also from Netflix's website, it indicates that on Vizio tv's the resolution is 720P, although I cannot confirm that because my Vizio does not offer info on the screen when using apps.
I could not find info for the resolution on the Xbox, but my TV says its 1080P. Anyone know? Is it truly1080P?

On a side note, I notice picture qualiity a little better on the Vizio than on the Xbox.
Also I have been trying out Hulu and I do get 5.1 on the Vizio, and the picture looks a little better than Netflix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Those are limitations of Vizio's Netflix app, which will most likely never be updated. As far as I know, neither your Vizio nor your Xbox will stream Netflix at 1080p. But several devices will, like sony and panasonic blu-ray players, rokus, etc. If 1080p is important to you, I suggest you get a different streaming device.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I did talk to a rep on Vizio's live chat and he did tell me at this time the Vizio Netflix app only supports stereo.
The Xbox says 1080P, but I think it upscales everything to 1080P.
I can live with these limitations for now.
I do have a Panasonic dmp-bd75 Blu ray player. Its not Wi-Fi, but I wanted to try it and see if there is a difference. I could run a temporary patch cord to it from my router and see what it does.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just thought of something. My Vizio is connected WiFi. If I take a patch cord from the Panny BD player's ethernet jack and plug it into the Vizio's ethernet Jack, will that enable the BD player to get Wi-Fi through the Vizio?
post #5 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Your Vizio ethernet port will not act as a switch or router, so what you suggest will not work. I'm pretty sure the BD75 isn't 1080p either.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Your Vizio ethernet port will not act as a switch or router, so what you suggest will not work. I'm pretty sure the BD75 isn't 1080p either.

OK, thought I give it a shot. Then I'll run a temp patch cord. If I see a noticeable imrovement, then maybe I'll get a wireless adaptor.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless you can find a really good deal, it would be cheaper to just get a roku or a new player rather than a wireless adapter. To get an idea of the difference between 720p and 1080p, just tune to your local ABC and NBC stations. If you get them in HD on cable, DirecTV or over the air, they are 720 and 1080 respectively. On Dish they'll be 720 and 1440.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 514
A Comparison of Netflix 1080p to Netflix 720p (Click to show)
One of my favorite comparisons of Netflix HD resolutions is a frame from the title sequence of a film called The Resident; it's full of tiny details in which it's fairly easy to see the difference in sharpness between the Netflix 1080p encode and the 720p one upon comparison.

I like to use the Chrome browser to compare these because in Chrome fullscreen is fullscreen, with no horizontal or verticle scroll bars. If you're reading this post in Chrome, just drag one of the screenshot links in the paragraph above to the new tab control on the far right of the open tabs in this window. Drag the tab created by that off into its own window then drag the other link into that window's new tab control. With that window selected, hit F11 to go fullscreen, then CTRL-TAB to instantly switch back and forth between the images.

Those screenshots were collected by forum member msgohan and originally posted in his "Netflix PS3 streaming comparison PIX" thread. Sadly ImageShack converted all of the myriad 1920x1080 HDMI screen captures posted in the thread into 800x400 reductions. I'd copied off a few to my PC, including these two.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #9 of 15 Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it looks like now I need a new Blu-Ray player after mine crapped out.
I hooked up a patch cord to the Panny Blu-ray last night and immediatly it asked for a software update, so I hit ok.
Then i tried out Netflix and it woked for a liitle while ( not in 5.1 by the way) then all of a sudden, the player locked up and stopped working. I unplugged everything, then plugged back in. Now the HDMI output does not work, only the composite outputs.
I was on the phone with Panny customer support and told me how to master reset, that did not work. So they tell me now I have to send in the player to get fixed at my cost. I said "really?After downloading your firmware update, and screwing up my player, I have to pay?" They would not listen. Apparantly other owners of this player has similiar issues. Never buying another Panny again.
So now I'm looking at Sony players. At least those will be 1080P/5.1 for Netflix
post #10 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

At least those will be 1080P/5.1 for Netflix

So would newer Panasonics, though I understand why you wouldn't be interested in them after being burned by the customer service. I own a DMP-BDT110 and a DMP-BDT220, for 2 and 1 years respectively and have had no problems with either. I also own a BDP-S390 (Sony) from last year's model line; the Netflix UIs are identical, though the Sony is more responsive. The BDT220 has the rare ability to output network VOD sources like Netflix at native 24 fps.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #11 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just picked up a Sony BDP-590 today at Target. I was playing around with it tonight and so far I like it. The picture and sound for Netflix is much better. I think it said "super HD" under the titles.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You are lucky and probably belong to an ISP that supports Netflix's OpenCDN network.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #13 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

You are lucky and probably belong to an ISP that supports Netflix's OpenCDN network.

I have Optimum (Cablevision) as my ISP. What is openCDN network?
post #14 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

I have Optimum (Cablevision) as my ISP. What is openCDN network?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450510/netflix-adds-3d-and-super-hd/150#post_22853620

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #15 of 15 Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450510/netflix-adds-3d-and-super-hd/150#post_22853620

Interesting, thanks.

Ian
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page