Why does Netflix look only so-so on my new ps3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just bought a ps3 for Netflix and Bluray use. I used to have an Apple tv (720p). I would have thought that the image would look better with my new 1080p device, but i was surprised to find that i noticed very little difference between the two...on second thought, i think the 720p actually looked sharper and more vibrant. What could be causing this? I have a few questions:

1) I am at the absolute furthest place from my wifi router in my basement. My ps3 signal strength was 52% last time i checked. Does Netflix have varying HD quality levels? When I first start netflix, its poor quality for a few seconds, but when the quality gets better, its a huge difference, but I still felt the Apple tv was sharper. My ps3 settings? Or does ps3 have HD (very good quality) and, with better signal strength, a super HD thats even better?

2) How do i enter Netflix settings through my ps3?

3) How can i tell at what quality the movie is being played at? (how do i know its playing super HD?)

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 View Post

I just bought a ps3 for Netflix and Bluray use. I used to have an Apple tv (720p). I would have thought that the image would look better with my new 1080p device, but i was surprised to find that i noticed very little difference between the two...on second thought, i think the 720p actually looked sharper and more vibrant. What could be causing this? I have a few questions:

1) I am at the absolute furthest place from my wifi router in my basement. My ps3 signal strength was 52% last time i checked. Does Netflix have varying HD quality levels? When I first start netflix, its poor quality for a few seconds, but when the quality gets better, its a huge difference, but I still felt the Apple tv was sharper. My ps3 settings? Or does ps3 have HD (very good quality) and, with better signal strength, a super HD thats even better?

2) How do i enter Netflix settings through my ps3?

3) How can i tell at what quality the movie is being played at? (how do i know its playing super HD?)

thank you!

It takes time to buffer to HD quality on most streaming devices and if your internet speed is good it should do it pretty quickly. Unless you have open connect with your ISP,(http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450510/netflix-adds-3d-and-super-hd) I doubt you will notice much difference in picture detail. Open connect has a new interface with super HD and 3D option settings. The streaming device you are using, the TV and your ISP's minimum down load speed all impacts your over all picture quality.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 12 Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

It takes time to buffer to HD quality on most streaming devices and if your internet speed is good it should do it pretty quickly. Unless you have open connect with your ISP,(http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450510/netflix-adds-3d-and-super-hd) I doubt you will notice much difference in picture detail. Open connect has a new interface with super HD and 3D option settings. The streaming device you are using, the TV and your ISP's minimum down load speed all impacts your over all picture quality.

Ian

I do have open connect. my issue is not with how long it takes to get high definition. It only takes a few seconds. My question is that the high definition that I am getting, is it the highest possible? In other words, if I had a faster connection or a better router, what I get have more sharper image?
post #4 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

I do have open connect. my issue is not with how long it takes to get high definition. It only takes a few seconds. My question is that the high definition that I am getting, is it the highest possible? In other words, if I had a faster connection or a better router, what I get have more sharper image?
Have you tried you a wired connection vs a wireless. Adaptive streaming likes a consistent signal so it's worth a try. If wireless is you're only option more speed may help.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As long as you are getting the minimum download speed required by Netflix for their HD formats, and your router is capable of providing all your streaming devices with that speed, at any given time, on your wifi network, you should be getting the best possible picture quality that your devices are capable of.

Ian

post #6 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As long as you are getting the minimum download speed required by Netflix for their HD formats, and your router is capable of providing all your streaming devices with that speed, at any given time, on your wifi network, you should be getting the best possible picture quality that your devices are capable of.

Ian

I'm getting about 4 download and 1.4 up. Is that enough?

But on my laptop, in the same room, i ran a speed test and got 17 down and 2.7 up. Not sure why ps3 was so low?
post #7 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But on my laptop, in the same room, i ran a speed test and got 17 down and 2.7 up. Not sure why ps3 was so low?
eek.gif

I think you have a problem with your PS3 if you are running both devices off the same router.

Ian

post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 58
2.4 GHz sucks butt for anything wireless. Since the PS3 does not have a 5 Ghz then run it wired. I run everything not wireless wired even my mothers computer which is on another floor.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Sony PS4 Wired. Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Quote:

Ian

I have read online, that the PS3 connection speed test, tests the connection to the PSN and not actual internet speed. My PS3 also doesn't reflect the speed tests done on the pc and tablet. But the Vudu speed test in that app, always returns levels capable of supporting the highest quality streams on their service.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

2.4 GHz sucks butt for anything wireless. Since the PS3 does not have a 5 Ghz then run it wired. I run everything not wireless wired even my mothers computer which is on another floor.

I have a Netgear dual band router running 2 PC's, a MAC, 2 BD players, an Android Tablet and a Roku, all at 2.4GHZ. There are not a lot of devices currently compatible with 5GHZ. I have no issues with my WiFi network. All my devices download at 18mbps or higher.

Ian

post #11 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:

That won't get you the lowest quality 1080p, which runs 3850 Kbps and would require about 4600 Kbps to keep ahead of. The highest quality 1080p, the new 5800 Kbps "Super HD", will require a sustained 7000 Kbps (available only if your ISP is connected to Netflix's Open Connect CDN, which you can check here).

You can generally see what quality level you're getting by hitting SEL on a pad (DISPLAY on a remote); that'll bring up an information overlay in the top left corner which will look like this:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It will say "Medium/HD" for the 2350- and 3000 Kbps 720p encodes, "High/HD" for the 3850 Kbps 1080p encode and, being currently broken, it will say "High/SD" for the 4300- and 5800 Kbps "Super HD" 1080p encodes (if it weren't broken it'd probably say "High/HD" for 4300 Kbps and "X-High/HD" for 5800 Kbps). As a further sanity check, you can also try playing "Example Short 23.976" which has a bit-rate/resolution information overlay burned into each of its component video encodes; it will show you exactly which you're getting at any time.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried my ps3 upstairs and the highest i got was high/HD. Still wanna see the X. I'll try to hard wire and see how that goes.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware