Netflix Closed Captioning - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's available that has Component Output and has the Subtitle option for Netflix? Doesn't have to be a DVD player.
I just bought a Sony BDP-S580 DVD player only to find out that it does not support Netflix Subtitles. I checked Roku and their outputs seem to be only HDMI or video outputs.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52

Captions/subtitles are offered on many titles, but you cannot set a streaming box, blu ray player, or game console to auto display. CC must be enable for each title individually when you play it.. The Audio and Subtitle option tab appears on selected devices-can you check yours by opening the NF app and looking for Audio and Subtitles on Mision Impossible Ghost Protocol or ''House of Cards'' ( titles I know are captioned). If you see it there, your Sony can display cc. If not, then you're right, it's not compatible.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. I don't want to set it for Auto Display. A lot of the older Sony units have a 'Selectable Audio and Subtitles Option ' on them that let you turn the subtitles on if the streaming movies has them.
I've discovered my BDP-S580 does not have this option, so I'm out of luck.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1025898

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/443#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Subtitles%20and%20Audio%20Sony%20TV

I'm trying to find something that has it as well as Component Output, another feature that seems to be disappearing. It doesn't need to be a Sony. I've looked at Roku, but they all have just HDMI and may not even have a Video Out jack.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52

Yeah, component outputs are being left off for some insane reason. If you have multiple devices that need connecting to a tv, having the option to connect one with component helps. Plus not every household has hdtvs in every room. They really should consider that CRTs are still in use in hdtv homes.

None of the current streaming boxes seem to have it. Perhaps an older model blu ray with component out could be found on ebay. Now we just need a brand name that features it.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Yeah, component outputs are being left off for some insane reason. If you have multiple devices that need connecting to a tv, having the option to connect one with component helps. Plus not every household has hdtvs in every room. They really should consider that CRTs are still in use in hdtv homes.
None of the current streaming boxes seem to have it. Perhaps an older model blu ray with component out could be found on ebay. Now we just need a brand name that features it.
Not insane. Just good old greed. 'They' can't add HDCP to component and if they can't add DRM they can't charge a licensing fee and heaven forbid YOU be allowed to do what YOU'D like with YOUR media...
post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Captions/subtitles are offered on many titles, but you cannot set a streaming box, blu ray player, or game console to auto display. CC must be enable for each title individually when you play it.

Not entirely true. The Netflix player in 2nd generation Rokus (and presumably Roku 3) makes captioning "sticky"; turn it on for one title and it stays on for all titles which feature it until you turn it off. (It's sensitive to language; if you turn on English captions it won't turn on captions if all available ones are in other languages). The Rokus do not, however, have component video outputs.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page