Video Rentals - Amazon vs Itunes vs Vudu? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for you all, we have used amazon in the past for video rentals. We always pay for the HD version. We have been frustrated more than once because the video quality looks like crap. I have a very consistent 20 Mbps cable. Amazon for some reason is downgrading the streaming. I've tried to stream a HD free movie off my amazon prime when i'm having the issue and it looks great. The reason i'm asking is because i'm in the market for a new streaming device for the bedroom. I've streamed amazon from my panasonic blu-ray player. I currently also have a older model wd live tv that i'm going to be getting ride of because, to be honest, wd really isn't that good at firmware and its always had small anoying issues. Anyways my choices are between an apple tv & roku 3.

If i understand itunes correctly you would rent the movie and physically download the copy protected file to your pc and then airplay it to your apple tv correct? So you wouldn't have to worry about streaming issues? I've never tried vudu so not sure exactly how it works. To be honest i'd prefer the roku device because it offers more flexibility (plex for DLNA, amazon, roku, ect....) but i don't want to deal with the streaming issues i've had in the past so i'm considering an apple tv. I guess i could watch local content on apple tv but it would take converting to mp4 (a lot are mkv) and then adding them to itunes.

Anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If i understand itunes correctly you would rent the movie and physically download the copy protected file to your pc and then airplay it to your apple tv correct? So you wouldn't have to worry about streaming issues? I've never tried vudu so not sure exactly how it works. To be honest i'd prefer the roku device because it offers more flexibility (plex for DLNA, amazon, roku, ect....) but i don't want to deal with the streaming issues i've had in the past so i'm considering an apple tv. I guess i could watch local content on apple tv but it would take converting to mp4 (a lot are mkv) and then adding them to itunes.

Anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks...[/quote]

if you want to stream Amazon then you don't want the Apple Tv. As far as renting a movie the Apple Tv has an internal buffer so if you rent from the iTunes store you don't see streaming issues but you need to rent from the iTunes store.. Files from the iTunes store can be downloaded to your computer and then the Apple TV can use home sharing to pull them off the computer and Airplay is not needed. If you download a movie to your PC from Amazon it won't be compatible with an Apple Tv (Drm issues). Also Amazon prime does not work with Apple Tv either. I own an Apple Tv and a couple of Tivo's (tivo's can download video from Amazon, but not amazon prime). For what you need at this time the Roku is going to be your best choice.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage View Post

I've never tried vudu so not sure exactly how it works.

Vudu is pretty straightforward for rentals. It's a pay-as-you-go service. They give you up to three resolutions, SD (480i or p, can't remember which), HD (1080i), or HDX (1080p.) Usually going up a resolution is an extra dollar, though there are a few movies that only have SD. Usually it's around $4-$6 on average, but there are some a tad pricier if they're popular or a special promotion (pre-theatrical release, released while still in theaters, etc) or a tad cheaper if they're older movies. They also have a $0.99 movie of the day that can be newer or older.

In any case, you get 30 days after the payment to watch the movie, though once you start, it is reduced to 24 hours to finish it (or less, if your 30 days has fallen to under 24 hours.) Within the 24 hour period you can watch it as much as you like. Vudu's purchased movies are stored in the cloud and can be streamed unlimited times.

Vudu's ace in the hole is that it tends to get newer releases better than the other services. It's a tad pricier per movie, but you only pay when you want to use it, no monthly subscriptions, so it's a good supplement if you want to watch something and it's not available elsewhere. With a good internet connection, it has good resolution, DD+ for most movies, and not much buffering (though it does crop up on occasion.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 664
The VUDU HD streams are 720P not 1080i.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Oh, that's right. I forgot my blu-ray player was set to output 1080i and that's what I was remembering. Thanks.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page