post #31 of 40 Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Mike maybe you should look into replaying that old Phat PS3 with a Slim. I have the first PS3 Slim 120gb model which I updated the HD to 320gb. I think it only uses 80 watts and it still is the best Netflix player out of all of them.

I might look into the new WDTV if it has the same UI as the PS3 and if it has a up to four minute buffer. What is the price and can I get it from Amazon? Anything got to be better than the Roku 3.

The average going price for a new WD TV Live player is around $69.00 on Amazon. There are refurbished units on ebay-a reputable seller is grassroots-computers, and they seem to get a steady supply of refurbs which you may be able to snag for a little less than full price.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 06-03-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Mike maybe you should look into replaying that old Phat PS3 with a Slim. I have the first PS3 Slim 120gb model which I updated the HD to 320gb. I think it only uses 80 watts and it still is the best Netflix player out of all of them.

I don't play PS3 games enough to warrant spending $250 or more upgrading. Even the Super Slim seems to draw 65W while playing Netflix, several times what a BD player would, nearly 20 times what a Roku 3 does.

I think that both Sony and MS are rumored to be planning an inexpensive A/V-oriented release of their current gen consoles this year; MS' is supposed to be DVD-less. It'll be interesting to see what those cost.
Quote:
I might look into the new WDTV if it has the same UI as the PS3 and if it has a up to four minute buffer. What is the price and can I get it from Amazon? Anything got to be better than the Roku 3.

I don't believe that the PS3 has a 4 minute buffer; I'm sure that mine doesn't (although it's hard to compare since I can't prevent it sending me Super HD at a %50 higher bit rate). I don't think that your watching the activity light on your router is accurate. When you think the buffer's full, unplug its network cable and time how long it continues playing.

The WD TV Live does not have the PS3's latest fancy UI features, doesn't start streams as fast or immediately leap to the highest possible video encode bit rate.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #33 of 40 Old 06-04-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'll try to snag a WD TV Live from ebay and relegate my sony to disc playback only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 40 Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

On Friday I had an exchange with the Netflixhelps Twitter account which I posted here. In it they kept urging me to additionally call the problem in so that their research department would be made aware of it (I don't understand what keeps them from forwarding our written exchange, sparing me the challenge of explaining it vocally). I may do that today.

I found that I could get to the same people by chat and did not have to try to explain the problem over the phone--I just wrote it up and pasted it into the chat. I posted about doing that here along with a log of my conversation. Sounds as if they understood what I was talking about and are going to make an effort to fix it. Keep your fingers crossed biggrin.gif.

"
" -- hookbill
post #35 of 40 Old 06-05-2013, 12:42 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
FWIW I reported in the other Netflix thread that on or about March 8 my Sony S790 would no longer stream at 5800 but only at 4300.

I was going to post this in the Neflix Chat link you posted but it looks like they no longer offer Chat.
post #36 of 40 Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

I was going to post this in the Neflix Chat link you posted but it looks like they no longer offer Chat.

Since yesterday??? This is the link at the bottom of their top support page; when I clicked it just now a little chat dialog box popped up with "You are now chatting with Kyle" on the header (having nothing to say, I immediately closed the box; hopefully Kyle wasn't disappointed biggrin.gif).

I doubt that it's that big of a data point that you noticed the problem a couple of weeks earlier than the earliest report that I found. Hopefully they're off to the races on solving it, or at least posted a prioritized detailed entry in their problem report system, to be picked up and dealt with by some engineer eventually (which is what would have happened in CE R&D companies that I've done software development for).

"
" -- hookbill
post #37 of 40 Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Both of your links return identical pages with my Firefox browser. There is no link at the bottom of the page and there is no mention of Chat anywhere. Bizarre.

This is the address of the Chat link you provide:

https://help.netflix.com/help#startChat

But there is no mention of Chat. This is the only link they give for contacting them:

Want to speak to us?
Call Us

I thought giving a fairly precise inception date of the problem might be of some value.
post #38 of 40 Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63

Chat is currently being tested (for several months now) for a select group of NF subscribers, and isn't available to the wider customer base.

I've seen others mention it on Facebook, but it's never showed up for me.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #39 of 40 Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Huh. I guess I was lucky. I'm really not sure that I'd have tried to make that report vocally over the phone, nor would I have given quite as much information if I had. If they'd given me some kind of case number I'd report your earlier encounter, GGA, but they didn't, so to get it in would mean making a whole new report. It might help in tracking down exactly which update manifested the problem (probably an update to the downloaded HTML5 components). You're welcome to call them on the phone and try biggrin.gif. Even without that it doesn't seem like the sort of problem it would be difficult to diagnose and correct.

"
" -- hookbill
post #40 of 40 Old 06-05-2013, 03:04 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Thanks for both your inputs.

I guess we will leave well enough alone and keep our fingers crossed!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page