BD Players with best Netflix option? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I never did end up buying a Blu-Ray player to replace my PS3. So wanted to check in now to see what the best player was that also had a good Netflix experience. 1080p/5.1 playback with smooth streaming is a must. Preferably one that is available from Target since I have a $100 gift card from there.

If there's not a good option, I might just get a Roku3 and then a standalone BD player. I'd rather just buy one device, but if there's not a good option out there for a BD/Netflix combo, I'll go the multiple devices route.

I do want to get rid of my PS3...it's a launch 32GB and the fan has gotten kindof loud on it, so it's distracting (and I don't use it for games)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I never did end up buying a Blu-Ray player to replace my PS3. So wanted to check in now to see what the best player was that also had a good Netflix experience. 1080p/5.1 playback with smooth streaming is a must. Preferably one that is available from Target since I have a $100 gift card from there.

If there's not a good option, I might just get a Roku3 and then a standalone BD player. I'd rather just buy one device, but if there's not a good option out there for a BD/Netflix combo, I'll go the multiple devices route.

I do want to get rid of my PS3...it's a launch 32GB and the fan has gotten kindof loud on it, so it's distracting (and I don't use it for games)

Target sells the Roku 3 - at least online. Is Netflix streaming your only concern?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 40 Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Of the BD players, Sony has the best Netflix app IMO.
post #4 of 40 Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Target sells the new Sony BDP-S5100.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 40 Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Target sells the new Sony BDP-S5100.

Thanks. Would the Netflix experience as far as PQ/AQ and smooth streaming (seamlessly switching quality with no visibile "stutter") be similar to the PS3 with the S5100? Like I said, I'm not opposed to having a separate BD player and Roku 3, but if I can get away with one box, I will.
post #6 of 40 Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks. Would the Netflix experience as far as PQ/AQ and smooth streaming (seamlessly switching quality with no visibile "stutter") be similar to the PS3 with the S5100? Like I said, I'm not opposed to having a separate BD player and Roku 3, but if I can get away with one box, I will.

It's similar to the PS3 except for 3D. The PS3 is limited to 720P from apps with 3D. While the S5100 will send 3D as 1080P from the apps.

LED DLP

post #7 of 40 Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It's similar to the PS3 except for 3D. The PS3 is limited to 720P from apps with 3D. While the S5100 will send 3D as 1080P from the apps.

Thanks. Sounds like that's how I want to go then.
post #8 of 40 Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Roku 3 is great for Netflix except the Roku Netflix UI is butt ugly and I hope they update it soon.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #9 of 40 Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an update. I went and got the S5100 about 2 weeks ago. It's pretty decent. I have a couple complaints, but nothing major:

1) The UI is pretty much the same as the PS3's, except a lot less smooth (PS3 kindof slid along through menu options with a smooth transition effect while the S5100 just jumps). The whole UI seems to be lower resolution for some reason. Wish they'd put a little more effort into it.
2) When playing regular DVDs (yes there are still DVDs out there without a BD counterpart), I get a grinding sound once in awhile when it reads the disc. I originally thought it was between chapters, but after watching a few, I'm guessing it's the layer change. Doesn't happen on BDs from what I've noticed.

Other than though, I'm happy with it. Was pleasantly surprised to find it displays info similar to the PS3 on Netflix (like the quality meter that tells me if I'm getting 1080p or not). Also was pleasantly surprised to see it streams Youtube in HD as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.
post #10 of 40 Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, after a couple of weeks with the S5100, I'm a bit frustrated. I can't seem to get 5.1 out of Netflix on this player. I've been posting over in the player thread, but nobody has been able to help me out.

Just as a history, I've used the PS3 since Netflix debuted on it (and later when 5.1 and HD debuted). I've never had an issue with 5.1 so I'm sure my internet speed is fine. Anyways, no matter what I try with this player, I only see "Stereo (Primary)" as the sound that's kicking out on the on-screen display of the Netflix player. I have:
  1. Made sure the 5.1 option is selected on the Netflix title
  2. Reviewed my audio setup options in the player (tried several variations)
  3. Swapped out my HDMI cable (it's the same cable I was using on the PS3)
  4. Tried both Wireless and Wired connections

5.1 works fine on DVDs and BDs though.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm about ready to take the player back, and am debating on whether to just return it or whether I should exchange it for another player (could it be a hardware problem?).

Any help would be appreciated.
post #11 of 40 Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Have you tried to see whether you get 5.1 sound out of the other streaming players on the device, like VUDU and Amazon? On VUDU you can test with the HDX or HD 2 minute previews (the trailers are always stereo); on Amazon, some of the trailers are DD 5.1--I just checked and the trailer of Cloud Atlas is.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12 of 40 Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Well, after a couple of weeks with the S5100, I'm a bit frustrated. I can't seem to get 5.1 out of Netflix on this player. I've been posting over in the player thread, but nobody has been able to help me out.

Just as a history, I've used the PS3 since Netflix debuted on it (and later when 5.1 and HD debuted). I've never had an issue with 5.1 so I'm sure my internet speed is fine. Anyways, no matter what I try with this player, I only see "Stereo (Primary)" as the sound that's kicking out on the on-screen display of the Netflix player. I have:

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm about ready to take the player back, and am debating on whether to just return it or whether I should exchange it for another player (could it be a hardware problem?).

I have no idea what the issue would be. I have two S5100 players and they both have no problem outputting the DD+ from the Netflix 5.1 titles.

As Michael mentioned check the output of the Vudu app. Check with a VUDU title that has DD+ 5.1. Since the Netflix 5.1 titles are also in DD+.

LED DLP

post #13 of 40 Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Went to Vudu and ran the speed test (came up fine for HDX as suspected) and then watched the first two minutes of The Last Stand. Came up right away with full green bars and "Dolby Digital Plus" in the upper right hand corner.

So apparently it's just Netflix. Do you think trying a different player (exchange this one for another of the same model) would make a difference? Or I could return it and get a Roku 3, but then I'd still need a Blu-Ray player. Maybe I'll keep this one and just go buy a Roku 3. But that seems like a shame to have to spend $99 just to get 5.1 out of Netflix when the 5100 is doing everything I want it to except that.

There's no like device settings or anything that would make a difference just for the Netflix app, is there? No account settings at Netflix or device activation to do or anything to get 5.1, right?

It just seems really odd to me, and I don't think it's hardware related at this point either. Maybe I got a bum unit or bum netflix app on this one or something.

Grrr.....
post #14 of 40 Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Went to Vudu and ran the speed test (came up fine for HDX as suspected) and then watched the first two minutes of The Last Stand. Came up right away with full green bars and "Dolby Digital Plus" in the upper right hand corner.

So apparently it's just Netflix. Do you think trying a different player (exchange this one for another of the same model) would make a difference? Or I could return it and get a Roku 3, but then I'd still need a Blu-Ray player. Maybe I'll keep this one and just go buy a Roku 3. But that seems like a shame to have to spend $99 just to get 5.1 out of Netflix when the 5100 is doing everything I want it to except that.

There's no like device settings or anything that would make a difference just for the Netflix app, is there? No account settings at Netflix or device activation to do or anything to get 5.1, right?

It just seems really odd to me, and I don't think it's hardware related at this point either. Maybe I got a bum unit or bum netflix app on this one or something.

Grrr.....

Have you checked the audio option settings for Netflix? Not sure how it works on your player, but if it is similar to other Netflix interfaces, like the one on the Roku, select a DD+ movie and make sure that it is set to 5.1 surround and not to stereo. Once that is done, all DD+ movies will output surround.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #15 of 40 Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes (see previous posts)
post #16 of 40 Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes (see previous posts)

Then I suggest you return it. There may be an issue with the Netflix interface. When did you first notice the problem and have you received any firmware updates recently?

Ian

post #17 of 40 Old 05-22-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

What receiver are you using? Does it support DD+?

Netflix on most devices (there are some exceptions) requires DD+ where some of the other streaming services support plain old DD
post #18 of 40 Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

What receiver are you using? Does it support DD+?

Netflix on most devices (there are some exceptions) requires DD+ where some of the other streaming services support plain old DD
Quote:

Went to Vudu and ran the speed test (came up fine for HDX as suspected) and then watched the first two minutes of The Last Stand. Came up right away with full green bars and "Dolby Digital Plus" in the upper right hand corner.

post #19 of 40 Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FWIW, it's a Yamaha RX-V667, perfectly capable of DD+.

I tested a few 5.1 titles though, and even though the OSD for Netflix says it's "stereo" my receiver is saying it's getting 5.1 and there's sound coming out of my rear speakers. So I'm wondering if it is sending 5.1 but the OSD isn't reflecting it.

I'm trying to figure out how to tell if my receiver is just upmixing (or whatever the technical term is) the stereo signal or if it's actually getting 5.1. I'm not sure how to tell, honestly. If I switch the audio options on the Netflix title to stereo, my receiver says it's getting stereo, but switching it to 5.1 makes it say it's getting 5.1, despite what the OSD on Netflix says (which still says it's sending stereo).

Just to clarify:
  1. Choosing 5.1 from Netflix's audio options: Netflix's OSD says stereo, my receiver says it's getting 5.1.
  2. choosing stereo from Netflix's audio options: Netflix's OSD says stereo, my receiver says stereo.

So is it possible Netflix just isn't saying the correct thing? That it's actually sending 5.1? Or is it possible my receiver is upmixing a stereo signal (if that's the case, why doesn't it do it when I select the stereo option in Netflix)?
post #20 of 40 Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

FWIW, it's a Yamaha RX-V667, perfectly capable of DD+.

I tested a few 5.1 titles though, and even though the OSD for Netflix says it's "stereo" my receiver is saying it's getting 5.1 and there's sound coming out of my rear speakers. So I'm wondering if it is sending 5.1 but the OSD isn't reflecting it.

I'm trying to figure out how to tell if my receiver is just upmixing (or whatever the technical term is) the stereo signal or if it's actually getting 5.1. I'm not sure how to tell, honestly. If I switch the audio options on the Netflix title to stereo, my receiver says it's getting stereo, but switching it to 5.1 makes it say it's getting 5.1, despite what the OSD on Netflix says (which still says it's sending stereo).

Just to clarify:
  1. Choosing 5.1 from Netflix's audio options: Netflix's OSD says stereo, my receiver says it's getting 5.1.
  2. choosing stereo from Netflix's audio options: Netflix's OSD says stereo, my receiver says stereo.

So is it possible Netflix just isn't saying the correct thing? That it's actually sending 5.1? Or is it possible my receiver is upmixing a stereo signal (if that's the case, why doesn't it do it when I select the stereo option in Netflix)?

Most titles have intact Pro Logic matrix surround sound information, so your receiver wouldn't be "upmixing", just playing the surround sound embedded in the signal. It's not as good as digital surround but it's a lot better than no surround.

When I ask my Onkyo receiver about sound it tells both what it's getting and what it's outputting. If I play something that's stereo it might say "Input: PCM 2.0 Stereo, Output: PLII 5 ch Movie". If it's Netflix 5.1 it will tell me that it's receiving "Dolby D+ 5.1 ch". If your receiver has a similar display and it's telling you that it's getting DD+ then I'd believe it. It's quite possible that the Netflix OSD is screwed up; the one on the PS3 currently is. I truly believe that it's a debugging tool that they don't mind us using.

post #21 of 40 Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If the receiver's display is tripping its DD or DD+ indicator, or showing 5.1 (or 3/2.1 or something), then it should be getting the full 5.1 codec. If it's getting stereo, it'd have to activate Dolby ProLogicII or DTS Neo6 or some other sound mode to spread the sound to all the speakers. That's pretty much how most receivers work, and I don't think Yamaha is different in that regard.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #22 of 40 Old 05-23-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Try playing a a good action movie with 5.1 like Death Race Three. If the audio effects sound discrete, especially from your rear surround channels, you're good to go.

Ian

post #23 of 40 Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Try playing a a good action movie with 5.1 like Death Race Three. If the audio effects sound discrete, especially from your rear surround channels, you're good to go.

Play the train crash sequence in Super 8 at about 17 minutes in. That'll give your surround sound set up a good work out biggrin.gif.

post #24 of 40 Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Play the train crash sequence in Super 8 at about 17 minutes in. That'll give your surround sound set up a good work out biggrin.gif.

He's going to be a busy bee tonight!

Ian biggrin.gif

post #25 of 40 Old 05-23-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. So I dug out my receiver's manual and I have it set up right so it's putting out what it's getting, so it should be actually getting a 5.1 signal.

However, I decided I'd watch War of Arrows this afternoon (cause I was too lazy to get off the couch to pack up the player), and it came right up saying "Korean/5.1 (Primary)" rather than "stereo." That's the first time I've seen it come up as 5.1 on the on-screen display. So then I tried The Warrior and again, it comes up "Chinese/5.1." Tried 13 Assassins (another foreign movie that's in 5.1) and that one only came up stereo. Tried quite a few more 5.1 titles in my queue and it was mixed bag....but most of them just came up stereo.

At those suggestions above, I tried the train crash scene in Super 8, and there's definitely lots of separation and the subwoofer is going off (the display still says stereo though).

So I have come to the conclusion that everything is working ok, except for some reason most titles just aren't saying they're outputting in 5.1 for some reason.

Thanks. It appears I just have a glitch in my player that Netflix just isn't saying it's kicking out 5.1 for all 5.1 titles, even though it appears to be.
post #26 of 40 Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Bump

I think I'm done with Sony after they gave me Super HD on my 390 then took it away and was hoping for some thoughts on alternatives. Netflix is my top requirement. If Sony is still the best option, I'll accept that. But they have some annoyances I'd rather avoid, like the stupid "content is ready" message and the fact that you have to set up all your streaming accounts through sony's website.

What's the latest on BD players with the best NF app that's fast and Super HD? Youtube in HD is another nice to have option. I don't stream files on my players anymore and only play a disc maybe a couple of times a month. So those are very low priorities.

MichaelScott, you seem to have a lot of players. Which one is your favorite?
post #27 of 40 Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've had 3 BD players with Netflix, being the Panasonic DMP-BDT110 & BDT220 and Sony BDP-S390. The BDT110 isn't in contention, being limited to 720p and having an annoying "black flash" bug; the BDT220 and S390 have their pluses and minuses. Sony's BDP-Sx90s have the aforementioned can't-get-to-the-high-5800-Kbps-Super-HD-encode-but-can-get-to-the-4300-Kbps-Super-HD-one problem (which reminds me that I should call Netflix about that as requested by the Netflixhelps Twitter people). It does, however, have the most responsive implementation of the common UI and it has the stream status display that I like a lot. As a negative, its stream start up time is much longer and it sometimes starts the sound before the video and takes a couple of seconds to pause or stop. The BDT220 can play streams from all of its network VOD players (Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, etc) at 24p, though you have to turn it on every time you run a player (once; if you play multiple titles in a session it stays on). I haven't tried the 2013 Sony's or Panasonics, but I'd expect Sony to have improved somewhat; I could be wrong.

At this point my favorite Netflix player is probably the one in the WD TV Live (not a BDP) given that it has all of the benefits of the both with faster stream start-up than the S390. The Roku 3 is very fast, starting from the main menu in 4 seconds and starting stream playback in about 2 seconds, but it's UI is no-frills and it can take a while to ramp up to the highest bit rate video encode. My real favorite is probably the PS3, but my launch model PS3 burns 180W or better while streaming HD and has a noisy fan which kicks in after 15-20 minutes of operation. In recent UI revisions it has virtually no ramp up to the highest possible bit rate video encodes; it'll jump cold to 1080p Super HD and generally stay there, taking 2-4 seconds to start stream playback.

post #28 of 40 Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
GGA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Sony's BDP-Sx90s have the aforementioned can't-get-to-the-high-5800-Kbps-Super-HD-encode-but-can-get-to-the-4300-Kbps-Super-HD-one problem

Do you have any further information on this, or where to find some? My S790 got 5800 until about 3 months ago when the max became 4300.
post #29 of 40 Old 06-03-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

Do you have any further information on this, or where to find some? My S790 got 5800 until about 3 months ago when the max became 4300.

On Friday I had an exchange with the Netflixhelps Twitter account which I posted here. In it they kept urging me to additionally call the problem in so that their research department would be made aware of it (I don't understand what keeps them from forwarding our written exchange, sparing me the challenge of explaining it vocally). I may do that today.

post #30 of 40 Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Mike maybe you should look into replaying that old Phat PS3 with a Slim. I have the first PS3 Slim 120gb model which I updated the HD to 320gb. I think it only uses 80 watts and it still is the best Netflix player out of all of them.

I might look into the new WDTV if it has the same UI as the PS3 and if it has a up to four minute buffer. What is the price and can I get it from Amazon? Anything got to be better than the Roku 3.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page