Whats up with most stuff being "Available in HD on your TV" crap? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Video Download Services & Hardware > Whats up with most stuff being "Available in HD on your TV" crap?
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 05:45 PM 09-05-2013
The problem is that the premium cable channels locks the big titles up tight with exclusivity agreements and Netflix can only get to play them through deals with those channels. It's probably less expensive than the exclusivity agreement that the channel procured and I don't know if the channels would negotiate with Netflix for permissions, allowing them to make back some of what they'd pay.

michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 07:58 PM 09-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

That movie is another Epix title which is why it is 720p HD. Also on Amazon Instant and Redbox. Although Stargate also a Epix movie is HD on the PC. Maybe Epix is starting allowing HD playback on the PC.

That could be it--I checked some others: Captain America, The Hunger Games, Super 8, Thor and Warrior are now all Super HD in the Win8 app, with DD+ 5.1 sound; Avengers, Cabin in the Woods, The Dictator, Safe and Transformers DotM are all Super HD without DD+ sound. (True Grit (2010) and Iron Man 2 were also part of that deal but they're gone now). Dredd is still 720p-only in the Win8 app, the only title I know of with that distinction (EDIT: found some more--Abduction, Paranormal Activities 3, Margin Call, The Possession and two Madea movies; no doubt there are others).
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar Wendell R. Breland 07:58 AM 09-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The problem is that the premium cable channels locks the big titles up tight with exclusivity agreements and Netflix can only get to play them through deals with those channels.

It appears that titles (new and catalog) with high sale potential (physical and EST) and/or rental (disc, Amazon VOD, VUDU, etc.) and/or available on premium channels do not show up on Netflix or Amazon Prime (can't speak for Hulu +). As always there are some exceptions. IMO, this will not change in the foreseeable future.

For me, about 85% to 90% of the titles (mostly catalog) I search for on Amazon Prime or Netflix are not available for streaming (SVOD) but they are available on disc or VOD (rental).

BTW, do you know if there is a Amazon Prime app for Windows 8? I looked in the store but did not see one.
reddice's Avatar reddice 12:58 PM 09-06-2013
At least Epix is waking up and is letting you stream HD on the PC on some movies. Why can Fox Studios wake up then. I don't care much about movies from Fox TV shows which many were not even on Fox (CBS, USA Network etc.) won't even let you stream in HD on any device except your TV.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 01:08 PM 09-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

BTW, do you know if there is a Amazon Prime app for Windows 8? I looked in the store but did not see one.

None such has turn up as yet, nor an app for VUDU. Both can be played in web browsers (VUDU in 1080p, no less), but the web browser players do not support 5.1 sound. The only apps for major video services seem to be Netflix and Hulu Plus. (There are VUDU To Go and Blockbuster Video apps but they're not Win8 fullscreen apps).
reddice's Avatar reddice 01:24 PM 09-25-2013
Netflix just added Last Man Standing. You guessed it HD only on your TV crap because even though it is on ABC it is produced by Fox Studios. Another show I can boycott from watching.
Sebaz's Avatar Sebaz 06:57 AM 09-27-2013
Quote:

It is not that I hate Amazon shipping is great for Prime which is the main reason I use it for but using there Prime Video service it is less reliable and the PQ is worse compared to Netflix.

That's interesting. To me it's quite the opposite. PQ is a little better on Amazon, and service quality is way better. On a Roku box (the highest model from early 2012) Netflix sucks. It starts playing at like 240p and very sloooooowly it goes up to 720p with luck, if it's a low traffic time. Lately, I can't use it on any night of the week, much less weekends, because it will go up to 720p, then down to 480p, then back to 720p, then down to 360p and so on, over and over. It's impossible to watch anything that way. And I have the TWC Turbo connection which is 20 Mbps, so it's more than fast enough.

Amazon Prime starts playing faster, and straight at 720p, no variable bitrate crap. And it stays that way. Months ago there was only one time that it stopped to rebuffer, but other than that, it plays perfect each and every time.
reddice's Avatar reddice 10:32 AM 09-27-2013
I do agree that Amazon was great on the Roku. Always starting at great quality unlike Netflix on any device and please contact Netflix and tell them to get rid of those godawful 240 SD encodes.

I ment to say that it was bad on the PS3. Yet Netflix was terrible on the Roku but great on the PS3 which is why I sold it.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 03:26 PM 09-27-2013
Quote:

I do agree that Amazon was great on the Roku. Always starting at great quality unlike Netflix on any device and please contact Netflix and tell them to get rid of those godawful 240 SD encodes.

I ment to say that it was bad on the PS3. Yet Netflix was terrible on the Roku but great on the PS3 which is why I sold it.

In my use Netflix was just as good on my Rokus as on my PS3. Only my Rokus used a fraction of the power my PS3 did. I recently traded in my PS3 since I really wasn't using it any more since any featue it had I already had other devcies that were as good or better than the PS3 while also using less power than the PS3.
reddice's Avatar reddice 03:30 PM 09-27-2013
Well since I did not subscribe to Amazon Prime with Instant anymore which was the only thing I used the Roku 3 for it made sense to sell it.
reddice's Avatar reddice 08:44 AM 10-18-2013
Well add Disney/ABC to the list of HD only on your TV crap. This sucks. Don't these stupid studios realize that you can't always watch shows on your big TV. That your tablet or laptop is used at night when you don't want to disturb anyone.

Well now FOX, Sony & Disney restrict you. What's next Warner & Universal then that would be 90% of the content except for some B Rated movie or unknown TV series.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:24 AM 10-18-2013
Quote:

Well add Disney/ABC to the list of HD only on your TV crap. This sucks. Don't these stupid studios realize that you can't always watch shows on your big TV. That your tablet or laptop is used at night when you don't want to disturb anyone.

Well now FOX, Sony & Disney restrict you. What's next Warner & Universal then that would be 90% of the content except for some B Rated movie or unknown TV series.

i don't understand? Can't you view the content in HD on the tablet?
reddice's Avatar reddice 01:25 PM 10-18-2013
It's weird that on the Windows 8 app I can play the Disney/ABC content but it only goes up to 3000kbps 720p. No Super HD but last few weeks ago it was able. Also on Windows 8.1 in Chrome and Firefox using the Silverlight player which only goes up to 3000kbps 720p it still says "Available in HD" but in IE 11 it say "on your TV" which uses the beta HTML5 player.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 01:51 PM 10-18-2013
Quote:

It's weird that on the Windows 8 app I can play the Disney/ABC content but it only goes up to 3000kbps 720p. No Super HD but last few weeks ago it was able. Also on Windows 8.1 in Chrome and Firefox using the Silverlight player which only goes up to 3000kbps 720p it still says "Available in HD" but in IE 11 it say "on your TV" which uses the beta HTML5 player.

You're right--that's pretty strange. Mulan: Special Edition, for example, say "Available in HD" on the page in Chrome, and "Available in HD on your TV" in IE 11. In the Win8 Netflix app it's marked "HD" and limited to 720p and in embedded players it's marked "Super HD" and will play in 1080p (I tested Chrome, IE 11, the Win8 app and WD TV Live). I wonder what that weirdness is about?
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 09:30 PM 10-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

There's no 1080p for anyone; if your player can say "Super HD" then "HD" means 720p-only.

They mentioned also (somewhere) that existing 1080p eligible devices would play super HD 1080p No mention of PC *other than Win 8 / IE 11
Getting Super HD on PS3 but not PC I read win 8 IE11 will support a Netflix HTML5 super HD stream and that final build of win 7 IE 11 will not and for now will continue with Silverlight. .

If Chrome adds HTML 5 Media Source Extensions and Encrypted Media Extensions DRM (or something like that ) to existing PC platform browsers and I'm assuming that would enable super HD in chrome regardless of OS as long as the hardware was capable or at least on win 7 ??? maybe Firefox also?

I read this also http://www.itproportal.com/2013/04/17/netflix-to-ditch-silverlight-in-favour-of-html5/

.[/quote]

Saw this at Netflix to add to the confusion . I will bold the player sentence regarding HD logo maybe we can figure this out ?

regards

Found it here https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731

Netflix Super HD
Netflix now offers Super HD streaming on many devices, including:
Sony PlayStation 3
Apple TV with 1080p
Google Chromecast
Roku with 1080p*
Nintendo Wii U
Windows 8 App
TiVo Premiere DVR
Blu-Ray Players, Smart TV's, Home Theaters, and Streaming Players with existing Netflix 1080p support*
More devices coming soon!
You can find Super HD titles by looking for the Super HD logo on the movie description page on compatible devices.

Please note that Super HD requires an Internet connection speed of at least 5Mb/s, and 7Mb/s for our highest available video quality.
*Note: Although some Super HD eligible devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices.

Some old news ( I just stumbled on ) Microsoft might be building an STB streaming player along the lines of Roku for those who otherwise would not pay the premium an X box .
http://www.itproportal.com/2013/05/13/microsoft-considers-launching-streaming-set-top-box/
reddice's Avatar reddice 10:05 PM 10-18-2013
Then what is the point of IE 11 then for Windows 7 when it still uses Silverlight and you need Windows 8 anyway for 1080p Super HD when you can just use the app. What a waste of time that is.
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 11:30 PM 10-18-2013
Quote:

Then what is the point of IE 11 then for Windows 7 when it still uses Silverlight and you need Windows 8 anyway for 1080p Super HD when you can just use the app. What a waste of time that is.

Microsoft want's to sell you an windows 8 upgrade download or disk they've always been that way no surprise there . A roku 3 is cheaper than windows 8 !
Google Chrome browser may fix that. at least for Win 7 maybe *if you have an HDCP enabled video card or PC * (HDMI) .EDIT may need an HDMI card or PC .
HDCP hardware is just my speculation so not to be taken as real info

Netflix would not dare to omit support of a Chrome browser extension or update that otherwise satisfied the studios DRM requirements .
even Apple does not ignore Google .not to mention it may drive some incremental business to Netflix. Firefox will follow suite both are currently working on it.
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop