Whats up with most stuff being "Available in HD on your TV" crap? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I noticed most movies and EVERYTHING from Epix, Fox Studios (every TV shows from Fox Studios too ) and Paramount (just the movies) will only be streamed in HD on your TV. Even the Windows 8 app which use to stream in HD no longer does for those titles. Yet everything from Disney, Paramount TV shows, Warner Bros TV shows stream in HD on all devices. Whose bonehead idea is that. I like watching stuff on my TV but also on my laptop too. Really ticks me off. What are the studios afraid someone is going to rip the video from the PC. That is what DRM is for.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 470
There've been titles like that for quite a while (though I'd never noticed the TV shows before). Many of those don't feature surround sound, either. Some of the studios don't trust PC DRM for their "high value" products and/or they're reserving the finest presentation of those titles for people who pay more to watch them.

There are programs that will rip any video from your computer screen in high definition at 60 fps, so their paranoia is not entirely unfounded. I recently tried Movavi Screen Capture and it copied HD Netflix video.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I know that there are programs that will rip any video from your computer screen in high definition.

Even DRM video?
BTW don't post any of them here. Don't want to get in trouble.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #4 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Even DRM video?

AFAIK everything in Netflix is DRM'd. It was some relatively recent release that's available in Super HD on PC--The Grey I think. I was trying to use it to capture matched screenshots at different quality levels for comparison (regular 1080p versus Super HD, etc). I would identify a scene I wanted a shot of and record a minute or so (without recording the audio at all) with bit rate limited to the desired level in the Win8 Netflix app's Stream Manager, then go back and try to isolate exactly the same frame for each target bit rate. I've tried doing this by just pausing and grabbing a screenshot but it's very, very difficult to pause at exactly the same place two times running and it take a while to go back and try again. I thought it might be easier to capture a bit and try to match frames in a video editor.

post #5 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Even DRM video?

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 47 Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Netflix just added Fringe and although the show was on FOX if was produced by Warner so you can watch it in HD on your PC or TV yet even shows on CBS or any other network but produced by FOX Studios don't let you enjoy HD on your computer.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #7 of 47 Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Fringe is available in Super HD w/5.1 sound on both embedded players and the Win8 Netflix app. Curiously the Win8 does not display the Super HD logo for it (just HD) but it sees and plays the video encodes. Sadly I watched all of those episodes back in the Fall before the 5th seasons started airing as Amazon Prime Instant video. It was in good 720p with DD 5.1 sound.

post #8 of 47 Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I came upon an "Available in HD on your TV" title that's in Super HD on embedded devices: Along Came a Spider. All previous ones I've seen were only 720p in embedded players. I don't understand why this title is HDYTV in the first place--it's twelve years old and wasn't overwhelmingly popular when it was new. It's a Paramount release.

EDIT: I tried several older Paramount releases (including King Kong with Lange and Bridges, The Bad News Bears and the original Footloose, '76, '76 and '84 resp.); they were all HDYTV and Super HD on embedded players. Seems that if an HDYTV title is old enough you can watch it in 1080 res on embedded devices, newer stuff 720p only. It also seems that some studios don't want any of their movies to play in HD on PCs. (Paramount television is different--Star Trek, for instance, is HD on PCs).

post #9 of 47 Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is what I am saying about Paramount. EVERY HD MOVIE is HDYTV but EVERY HD TV SERIES is HD on TV and PC. Fox Studios don't get me started as NOTHING IS IN HD ON THE PC. At least Disney and Warner have the sense to give you a choice to watch in HD on your PC and not restrict you to only your TV.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #10 of 47 Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is what I am saying about Paramount. EVERY HD MOVIE is HDYTV but EVERY HD TV SERIES is HD on TV and PC.

I'm sorry--you did mention that in the top post. What surprised me was that the older films can be viewed at 1080 res on embedded players. All of the newer stuff is 720p-only on anything.

post #11 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Forgot to say that everything from Universal Studios both movies and TV shows are HD on all devices including PC's.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #12 of 47 Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Did some stuff change recently? I notice that Thor is now Super HD with available DD+ 5.1 sound and that Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Captain America are Super HD. I could swear that none of them used to be. EDIT: Sorry--false alarm. The players claim that they're Super HD but they're really 720-only. The players do falsely indicate Super HD for some titles but they didn't use to make that mistake for those films. Also, I'd swear that Thor didn't use to have DD+ sound. Whatever.

post #13 of 47 Old 06-21-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did some stuff change recently? I notice that Thor is now Super HD with available DD+ 5.1 sound and that Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Captain America are Super HD. I could swear that none of them used to be. EDIT: Sorry--false alarm. The players claim that they're Super HD but they're really 720-only. The players do falsely indicate Super HD for some titles but they didn't use to make that mistake for those films. Also, I'd swear that Thor didn't use to have DD+ sound. Whatever.

Those are all Epix titles. I sure hope the Epix deal is not renewed. I know it is better than Starz Play but I rather have Netflix get the movies directly and not use a Premium service because of all the restrictions of HD only on your TV, no DD+ 5.1 and Super HD (or 1080p for me).

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #14 of 47 Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Those are all Epix titles. I sure hope the Epix deal is not renewed. I know it is better than Starz Play but I rather have Netflix get the movies directly and not use a Premium service because of all the restrictions of HD only on your TV, no DD+ 5.1 and Super HD (or 1080p for me).

There's no 1080p for anyone; if your player can say "Super HD" then "HD" means 720p-only.

There does seem to be an amount of 5.1 sound in those titles: Thor, Captain America and Super 8 (great train crash sound sequence at about 15 minutes in).

post #15 of 47 Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have Epix on Dish Network so I get all those movies anyway. The PQ on Netflix is good for 720p and looks the same as on Dish Network.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #16 of 47 Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I sure hope the Epix deal is not renewed. I know it is better than Starz Play but I rather have Netflix get the movies directly and not use a Premium service because of all the restrictions of HD only on your TV, no DD+ 5.1 and Super HD (or 1080p for me).

The purpose of the old Starz and now Epix deals, is to enable Netflix to offer films on streaming that they would otherwise not have access to. Pay tv channels lock these movies up under exclusive licenses and no other pay tv service can offer them, unless, as Netflix has pioneered, sub-letting the streaming rights from the primary pay license holder...

It sucks for people who can't subscribe to Epix, but Epix has to hold something back to maintain the value of their acquisitions for their own service. If we want the best presentation, we're gonna have to buy the blu rays, which makes the studios very, very happy.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #17 of 47 Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well the 720p and sometime 5.1 sound is tons better than the old Starz Play BS, which was often poor, shuddery SD and never HD at all.

post #18 of 47 Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

If Netflix didn't have a deal with Epix, it wouldn't have those movies for a long long time. Epix content on Netflix looks and sounds a whole lot better than what Starz was offering and I hope Netflix and Epix keep renewing their contract.
post #19 of 47 Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I doubt Netflix would renew the deal with Epix as many deals they have not been renewing lately but you can bet Amazon would renew it on there POS bait and switch Instant service.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #20 of 47 Old 07-01-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well New Girl produced by FOX Studios that Netflix just added is of course "HD only on your TV" crap. Even a movie I watched the other day from FOX Studios was the same. It really annoys me that EVERYTHING FROM FOX STUDIOS even shows that were not on FOX only stream in HD on TV's as they have some programs I like but can't watch on my computer but only my TV unless I want a crappy PQ which is super annoying.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #21 of 47 Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 130
PC streaming is not the future. Streaming boxes are. it;s only going to get worse. There may some tablet solutions coming also.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #22 of 47 Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I doubt Netflix would renew the deal with Epix as many deals they have not been renewing lately but you can bet Amazon would renew it on there POS bait and switch Instant service.

From what I've read, there are still 2 or 3 years left on the Epix deal. So we'll see what the future holds. And why would you call Amazon Prime's video service a "POS bait and switch"? What happened, you wanted to watch something for free and it was "pay only" content? I 'm a Prime subscriber and it does everything it promises. Hell I even recently received an order in one day (on a Saturday yet) instead of the promised two day delivery.
post #23 of 47 Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I read that the deal was up for renewal in September I don't know if it is this year though. Just with Netflix picky on renewing deals lately we will just have to wait and see. I would hate for Amazon to grab it as a exclusive they have enough already.

It is not that I hate Amazon shipping is great for Prime which is the main reason I use it for but using there Prime Video service it is less reliable and the PQ is worse compared to Netflix.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #24 of 47 Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have you noticed that the Epix movies like 'The Hunger Games" show Super HD and it is a Epix title. I noticed it on my Roku even though I can't get Super HD it was to determine if it is a 1080p title.
Quote:

Sorry I missed that. I can't get Super HD anyway so you are saying that they are still 720p only titles?

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #25 of 47 Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have you noticed that the Epix movies like 'The Hunger Games" show Super HD and it is a Epix title. I noticed it on my Roku even though I can't get Super HD it was to determine if it is a 1080p title.
Quote:

Sorry I missed that. I can't get Super HD anyway so you are saying that they are still 720p only titles?

That's precisely what I'm saying. You can check that you can't play them in HD on the PC (which includes The Hunger Games), although all but Transformers: Dark of the Moon now have 5.1 sound when I don't think that they started out that way. I think that The Hunger Games might not have been HD in the US to start with. (All of these things are Super HD with 5.1 sound in Canada). You can also play them on your PS3 and see that they never get up to 1080p.

post #26 of 47 Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fox studios needs to take a hike off a pear. I just checked "How I met your Mother" which is on CBS, "Burn Notice" which is on USA (yet Monk & Psych are HD on all devices), "The Killing" (yet Mad Men is HD on all devices) which is on AMC and all of those shows every bit is only HD on your TV you know why because it is produced by Fox Studios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

PC streaming is not the future. Streaming boxes are. it;s only going to get worse. There may some tablet solutions coming also.

Well I don't think the iPad and I know the Windows 8 tablets can't stream in HD if it is only on your TV crap so you are still restricted to only your TV.

Also I forgot to say the reason I watch it on my laptop sometimes too is that I can't always watch it on my TV. I am near sighted so wearing glasses sitting far away from my TV sometimes my eyes bother me. They can start to itch and get watery so I watch it on my Dell 17" 1080P laptop which I don't need to wear glasses for.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #27 of 47 Old 09-02-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I see that the 2012 version of Dredd with Karl Urban and Lena Headey is available. No 5.1 sound and it's the rare 720p-only HD title that's not "Available in HD on your TV"; it's 720p in the PC players as well.

post #28 of 47 Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

I see that the 2012 version of Dredd with Karl Urban and Lena Headey is available. No 5.1 sound and it's the rare 720p-only HD title that's not "Available in HD on your TV"; it's 720p in the PC players as well.

Didn't I see this post somewhere before? Hmm..Deja Vu!

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #29 of 47 Old 09-02-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Didn't I see this post somewhere before? Hmm..Deja Vu!

Partial multi-post to point out the 720p-only-but-not-"Available-in-HD-on-your-TV" oddity.

post #30 of 47 Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That movie is another Epix title which is why it is 720p HD. Also on Amazon Instant and Redbox. Although Stargate also a Epix movie is HD on the PC. Maybe Epix is starting allowing HD playback on the PC. I just wish Fox Studios will wake up and support HD on the PC especially shows that were not even on Fox.

This is why Netflix has to get the movies exclusive like with Dreamworks even though those movies are still only on HBO. I guess when they mean 2013 they must mean December 31st.

Netflix has to stop piggybacking off these premium channels like Epix and get more exclusive movies which will be full HD and 5.1 surround sound.

Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page