MLB.tv on Apple TV (3rd Gen) picture quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else using MLB.tv on an Apple TV? I am using a 3rd generation model with Charter 30Mb cable internet. My speedtest.net tests are consistently between 27 and 31 Mb download. My Apple TV is wired to a gigabit switch along with other devices in my entertainment center and then from there it is wired to an Airport Extreme router.

My streams are constantly switching back and forth from good quality to terribly blurry. The picture usually only stays bad for about 5 seconds at a time but when it happens it's so bad you can't even read the score. It also has to buffer every 5 to 10 minutes or so. Netflix and iTunes rentals have solid picture quality and they never buffer after they start playing. MLB.tv is the only service I am having this problem with. I used MLB.tv on my Apple TV in this exact same setup almost daily last season with none of these problems.

I also have a Roku 2 XD in another room in the house. This device is connected to the Airport Extreme via WiFi because it doesn't have an ethernet port. This unit isn't displaying any of the same problems as my Apple TV. It is playing MLB.tv just as solidly as Netflix with no buffering. The problem is that the Roku is in a room used by the rest of the family as mainly a Netflix and Amazon PPV rental device. The Apple TV is in the 'mancave' so it is the main unit I use for MLB.tv.

I brought this up on the MLB.tv support forums and they basically told me to reset my device and if that doesn't fix it my internet is the problem. I just don't believe that is the case. Is anyone else having problems with MLB.tv on an Apple TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like we either don't have a lot of baseball fans or we don't have a lot of Apple TV users. Anyways, I just wanted to check back in to say that I am not having the problem anymore with today's games. The first 2 days of the season were pretty bad but it seems like they have resolved the problem. I am getting a solid HD picture tonight with no buffering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 6 Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM

I use Cosmcast and have the same problem. Unacceptable picture quality with the same problem
post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM

Same issue.
ATV3 and comcast xfinity.

I set the ATV3 video output to 720p 60hz, that pretty much cleared up the picture, that being said, something isn't right if you have to use a piece of equipment at less than it's designed capability to get it to work correctly.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Seems to have cleared itself up.

edit - nope, it still comes and goes. my internet 'speed' according to the mlb speed test is more than twice as fast as what's required for HD. I believe this is an mlb issue, not an ATV3 or comcast issue.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm having the same problems you describe. I'm using Apple TV 3rd generation on wi-fi. I have Verizon Fios and my download speed measures in the 60mb range. I also watch Netflix without buffering or picture issues. When I'm watching MLB.tv the picture quality is perfect. But every 10 minutes or so I'll get these 5-10 seconds of horribly blurry picture. It's awful. I think this is a MLB problem. It can't be a Apple or FIOS problem because I have no issues watching anything else using the Apple TV.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page