Here is my latest and last VUDU experience - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Floyd,

We want to let you know that there was a break-in at the VUDU offices on March 24, 2013, and a number of items were stolen, including hard drives.

Our investigation thus far indicates that these hard drives contained customer information, including names, email addresses, postal addresses, phone numbers, account activity, dates of birth and the last four digits of some credit card numbers. It's important to note that the drives did NOT contain full credit card numbers, as we do not store that information. Additionally, please note if you have never set a password on the VUDU site and have only logged in through another site, your password was not on the hard drives.

While the stolen hard drives included VUDU account passwords, those passwords were encrypted. We believe it would be difficult to break the password encryption, but we can't rule out that possibility given the circumstances of this theft. So we think it's best to be proactive and ask that you be proactive as well.

SECURITY PRECAUTIONS:

If you had a password set on the VUDU site, we have taken the precaution of expiring and resetting that password. To create a new password, go to www.vudu.com. Click the "Sign In" button at the top of the page. Enter your current username and current password when prompted, then follow the instructions to reset your password securely. Also, if you use your expired VUDU password on any other sites, we strongly recommend that you change it on those sites as well.

As always, remember that VUDU will never ask you for personal or account information in an e-mail. Please use caution if you receive any emails or phone calls from anyone asking for personal information or directing you to a web site where you are asked to provide personal information.

As an added precaution, we are arranging to have AllClear ID protect your identity for one year at no cost to you. We have FAQs on our web site (vudu.com/passwordreset) to answer questions on the incident and to more fully describe how to use the AllClear ID service. We have reported this incident to law enforcement and are cooperating fully with their investigation. We want you to know that we take this matter very seriously, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you,

Prasanna Ganesan
Chief Technology Officer, VUDU

VUDU.com | Support | Sign In

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Just received the same email. but thanks for passing this on. Password re-set!

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
It is a risk you run with any of these online services, Netflix, Blockbuster, etc.

I was a victim of someone taking over my Yahoo and Google email accounts. Google responded and helped me recover right away, Yahoo never helped. I had many online accounts with only a few passwords. After this incident I set a different password for every account that I have, the password is random letters and numbers. A pain to keep up with but the most secure.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Actually I don't think the risk is limited to online services. Considering they broke in and stole actual hard drives it could be anybody who has records of your email, passwords, addresses date of birth etc.

Thankfully I started using random passwords and an encrypted password manager for my various passwords.

Will change the Vudu password now.

Edit: It looks they require a password reset when you next try to log in
post #5 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Yeah, I just changed mine, too. They also want a longer password, as my old one was under their current character limit. Kudos to them for being proactive.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
No one seems immune to this problem. I remember the Sony PS3 hacking and I'm still covered by that ID service. I changed my password at VUDU and signed up for the free one year ID coverage from AllClear ID.

As an aside and proof that this hasn't put me off to using VUDU I just purchased their 99 cent Movie of the Day - The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Yeah, I don't know why you'd drop VUDU just because of this. They were pretty proactive on letting people know, and it's not like they could spend money on 24/7 armed guards. (Although I'm sure they've spent some money upgrading their security now.)

I changed my password and look forward to viewing some more movies from them. It's been a good service so far.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 93
My only problem with VUDU is my receiver can't decode DD+ properly (just becomes stereo) so I wind up renting my the few PPVs I watch from Amazon since they just use DD 5.1. I guess we're all supposed to replace our AV receivers?

Cybersecurity is going to become more and more difficult in this world of thieves. But we will need to take a tough stand if they want to take away our free speech rights as an excuse to curb cybercrime.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

My only problem with VUDU is my receiver can't decode DD+ properly (just becomes stereo) so I wind up renting my the few PPVs I watch from Amazon since they just use DD 5.1. I guess we're all supposed to replace our AV receivers?

You should know that is the way of technology.

Have had separates since 1972 for this reason (several power amps, [one Crown DC-300 is over 40 years old]). Have had several different audio processors over the years. My current unit is a Onkyo PR-SC5508P and was purchased because my Outlaw 970 could not do DTS Master or Dolby HD. Other than that I was mostly happy with the 970.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

You should know that is the way of technology.

I agree. It's built in obsolescence. I made a living selling upgrades, when I was in consumer electronics marketing. wink.gif

Ian

post #11 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I would think that Amazon reasons that many folks aren't going to upgrade their surround for DD+ and for some reason VUDU does. Maybe Walmart has some deals going on new receivers (their store is a mile away and Fry's 8 miles). New receivers are cheap anymore and I could use an HDMI switching one. Similarly I found it strange that Redbox Instant doesn't support the C5500 Samsung BD player but do support the D5500. I think the only difference is that the D5500 had built-in wifi. Otherwise they seem to be working their way back in time with Samsung players. Or it's one of these deals where one Samsung team designed the D5500 and another the C5500 so the app isn't compatible. That happens in manufacturing.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Not sure if this is any help at all, because as a UK resident I can't get VUDU. But Netflix uses DD+ and I use a couple of WD TV Live streaming media players for lounge and bedroom. My bedroom AV amp can't decode DD+, but if I use the optical out from the WD box, I get regular DD 5.1. Would the same method work for VUDU?
post #13 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Not sure if this is any help at all, because as a UK resident I can't get VUDU. But Netflix uses DD+ and I use a couple of WD TV Live streaming media players for lounge and bedroom. My bedroom AV amp can't decode DD+, but if I use the optical out from the WD box, I get regular DD 5.1. Would the same method work for VUDU?

Yes. If your WD player has a DD plus processor it should convert the bitstream to regular DD. For more info on this subject, see Roger Dressler's comments on the 'When wiil HBO Go actually get Dolby plus' thread.

Ian wink.gif

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page