No Dolby Digital indicator from PS3 from Amazon or Vudu but there is on Netflix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is somewhat puzzling and I wonder members might have insight to provide.

I use the PS3 (SuperSlim) to access streaming services like Netflix, Amazon and Vudu with output via HDMI.

When I play a show on Netflix that is noted as SuperHD 5.1, when the stream starts, the Dolby Digital+ indicator lights up on my Pioneer AVR.

Yet when I play streams on Amazon or Vudu that are noted as being 5.1 the indicator does not light up. And I have the PS3 set to output bitstream. But even more puzzling is, those streams do sound like they are in 5.1 with discrete audio coming from each speaker. This is not Dolby PLII since the sounds are very discrete and positioned correctly in the sound stage.

Do Amazon or Vudu send down PCM 5.1 for their 5.1 titles on the PS3? On my Roku 2 box when I pay a Vudu title that is advertised as being 5.1 the Dolby Digital + indicator does come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 594
It sounds like the PS3 is decoding the audio and sending it as multi-channel pcm to you receiver. Those apps do not stream muti-channel pcm audio.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3 of 6 Old 05-06-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's what I thought. But since the PS3 audio option to bitstream or send PCM is global I put in a DVD and it lit the Dolby Digital light on my AVR so that's puzzling.

I am sure with my PS3 Phat the DD light came on.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
I'm fairly certain that audio and video support for games/apps and video discs are separate. Apps and games have restrictions that the disc player does not.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5 of 6 Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Then I don't know how to set them separately. And it worked fine on my Phat as I said before.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-07-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

Then I don't know how to set them separately. And it worked fine on my Phat as I said before.

What I meant was that there are limitations on apps that don't apply to the disc player; apps just can't do some things that the disc player can (case in point, 1080 res 3D video). I don't think that inability to output DD audio is one of them, since the Netflix player can do it.

On my 60 GB launch model Fat Amazon output 7.1 channel LPCM for everything: stereo content, 5.1 content and any UI sounds. The VUDU player output LPCM, but at the appropriate number of channels: 5.1 for DD 5.1, 7.1 for DD 7.1 and 2.0 for stereo content (like trailers). As stated, the Netflix app converts the service's 5.1 channel DD+ to original recipe DD. I don't think that any of the Fats can bitstream DD+ for whatever reason (I could be wrong). It's not an option in the HDMI audio settings on my launch model, just basic DD 5.1, basic DTS 5.1, AAC and various forms of LPCM.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page