Does a switch affect streaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This week I have been having trouble with streaming Netflix on my Roku 3 which is hooked up to a Monoprice Gigabit Switch using Cat6 cable to my Netgear WNDR4300 router. Been getting a poor quality picture yet my PS3 directly connected to my Netgear router maintains a high quality stream.

I had this switch for a month replacing another Monoprice 10/100 Mbps switch. Owned the Roku 3 for about three months now and I did have minor problems but this week is bad.

Just asking if mixing Cat5e with Cat6 and using a switch affects performance.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

This week I have been having trouble with streaming Netflix on my Roku 3 which is hooked up to a Monoprice Gigabit Switch using Cat6 cable to my Netgear WNDR4300 router.

What happens when you connect your Roku 3 to the Netgear WNDR4300 router?

At one time I had a 10/100 switch between my router and my HTPC. When I tried to play TS files (ATSC 19.39 Mbps) from the NAS it would stutter. In theory the switch should have handled this data rate with ease but it did not. Replaced the 10/100 switch with a 10/100/1000 TRENDnet and no more problems. My router and other switches are 10/100/1000 devices.

All my cabling is CAT5e, it is high quality, shielded cable. The longest run is about 65' so I have no problems with Gigabit devices. If I ever need to add a longer run I would use shielded CAT6.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Far more likely that you're simply seeing issues with the Netflix stream itself.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Far more likely that you're simply seeing issues with the Netflix stream itself.

I agree since yesterday afternoon I did not have problems till 5PM and then watching at 7PM. All I know is when the problem starts I see the activity light on the switch rapidly blink longer than it should. On my PS3 I can't tell since the LEDs don't blink on the router.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

PS3's maintain a huge buffer, far more than a Ruku or other player does. That fact alone accounts for a lot of differences in the user experience.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS3's maintain a huge buffer, far more than a Ruku or other player does. That fact alone accounts for a lot of differences in the user experience.

Did not know that. Just use to look at the lights well on my older router and when I saw them stop blinking at the end of a program I would time it to about two minutes. Maybe it is different now but I can't tell with the new router.

As for the Roku 3 I just watched two HD programs that gave me no problems like yesterday until around 7PM where the PQ was not as sharp and the switch LED's just rapidly blinking which should only be for a minute but yesterday was doing past five minutes during Star Trek TOS. On my PS3 I can't tell as the LED's on the router don't blink but it maintained a sharp clear picture.

Cats are the best pets.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

7PM is about when most services start to bog down, Netflix and Amazon in particular.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

7PM is about when most services start to bog down, Netflix and Amazon in particular.

Although I would rarely have very brief poor quality it has not effected me much until this week at least on the Roku 3. What makes this week so special?

Cats are the best pets.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:

I don't think that's true. I've timed them (played something for a while and unplugged the network cable from the device and timed it until it ran out of buffer) and I think that the Roku was similar to the PS3 in buffer length. I could be misremembering; many devices had around the same amount of buffer though I can remember that some were shorter. The PS3 was probably one of the longest but of the devices I tested there were definitely ones with equal buffer length. (The devices were PS3, Xbox 360, Roku 2 XS, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Sony BDP-S390, TiVo Premiere and this PC). I may time the Roku 3 and PS3 again.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #10 of 11 Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Roku 3 was streaming like crap again tonight after 7PM (it was fine earlier around 1PM) so to determin if the switch was the problem I hooked my PS3 to the switch and had no problems watching anything. They really improved the Netflix app for the PS3. The images are sharper and the sound is louder with more dept. I can really hear the bass on my Zvox sound bar. Also being able to see the blinking lights on the switch at the end of the program the lights stopped blinking at about 4 minutes for HD content and a bit longer for SD content. Much improved from before when it was less than 2 minutes. Also I noticed that the hard drive light blinks every few seconds which means it must be caching to the hard drive instead of the limited memory. It use to not access the hard drive at all except when navigating the UI. Also the UI is so much faster and now when you pause a program it looks similar to the website showing more detail. As for the overlay info it is still a bit messed up. It will show the time now but it is mashed up with the debug text overlay. I know it will be fixed soon so I am not worried about it.

I bought the Roku 3 in March because the PS3 app was lacking but the Roku is not such a great device. Suppose to have a powerful processor but it streams just as bad as the Windows 8 app.

Cats are the best pets.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Could it be that the large buffer in the PS3 is helping it to overcome a streaming/network issue?
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page